Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: The Importance of communication and format  (Read 714 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 345
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
The Importance of communication and format
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »

The staff have noticed that some of you, even some of our older members are forgetting one of our primary rules, that being the way in which you communicate via radios or phones or other devices. It is buried somewhere in our guidelines, but for the benefit of you who have either forgotten or aren't sure of the procedure here it is again.

For example, your character may be in a room, or on a ship and you are speaking to another character in another room, or a ship or even across the world by phone. We have separate threads for almost every location, so its important for you as the player to find the location or your writing partner in this case. For some threads though such as visiting ships etc, we may be posting in a single thread but with location tags. I will touch on that at the end of this.

PHONE COMMUNICATIONS

When your character wants to use a phone, state that they are doing so as well as what type of phone (cell or landline). State that they are dialing a number. They must then wait until the person they are calling picks up, if they do. Example: The reply in the receiving thread will be in Italics with the tag *Radio* (or other device) in bold.

-Colorado Springs Airport-
 John picks up his cell phone, taps it to the dialing pad and dials the number for Jane,  then brings it to his ear to await the results.

John would then post in Jane's thread the following:

-SGC-

Jane's phone receives a call from John.

It is then up to Jane's player to state whether she hears the phone, it's on vibrate or if it's even on at all and it goes to voice mail. Jane's player would then post the results in John's thread accordingly, using the same format.

RADIO COMMUNICATIONS

Using a radio is obviously different from a phone. It only has a certain range and a few channels, and the frequencies are always open. To use a radio, follow these formats, depending on which type of radio your character is using to communicate. Remember that the earpieces work the same way as the walkie talkies and on the same frequencies. They are all interconnected so long as they are on the same frequency.

Walkie Talkies

-MW9 87T-

Cam holds the talk button down on his radio before speaking.

"Jones, I need you, Wallace and Jacobs at my position asap." He calls into his radio before taking up position near the Gate.

In the thread where Jones is, John would post the following:

-MW9 87T-West Hills-

*Radio*

"Jones, I need you, Wallace and Jacobs at my position asap."

If the same procedure is carried out within a single thread with location tags <Location> signifying the area, the system is the same as above but you only post once and you do not need italics. Generally the only thing in single threads that shows you are communicating with a device, is the fact that in your post you have mentioned that you are speaking on a radio.

<Daedalus Bridge>

{General Caldwell}

Steven picked up the intercom mic. "Satterfield I want your squadron covering that planet like a plague five minutes ago."

<Daedalus-Hangar Deck-Pilot's Ready Room>

On her way out, Alecia heard the call over the speaker near the door, she pressed 'speak' to respond. "We're on our way sir. All birds will be out in less than five minutes."

If you have any questions please PM one of the moderators or Admin team.

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 345
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: The Importance of communication and format
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »

We need everyone to read this thread thoroughly! It is still falling down badly.  :fp

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal