Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weapon & Equipment Q&A Thread  (Read 2913 times)

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 112
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
Re: Weapon & Equipment Q&A Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 06:38:51 AM »

Just going back to the Staff weapon for a moment, its my understanding that the slow rate of fire is due to the time required between each shot to recharge, even if it is only a fraction of a second you will still have the opposing forces using conventional weapons firing off multiple rounds in that time. So why not have a magazine system added to that sketch whereby you have say three or four of the staff weapon energy crystals set such a way that as one is fired the next and those after are ready to fire.

Altzek

• Senior Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.
  • No
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 06:43:37 AM »

Like, say, the cylinder of a revolver?
I like that.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 112
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 06:45:55 AM »

That would work quite well and it would be more in line with a Goa'uld approach design wise rather than a vertical magazine. I'll make sure Mel sees this.

Altzek

• Senior Master Sergeant
  • Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.Altzek might someday be a gardener.
  • No
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »

I've already sent her, Khnum and Shadowlord a private message to discuss this, she will probably read about it later on.
It's a nice idea and it preserves the aesthetic, I suppose, though it would also mean doubling the naquadah extraction rates considering that you'd need more than one power cell to draw energy from.
What would be needed to be addressed then would be the fire range. Maybe less powerful single blasts?
They would work with a scope of sorts, and I suppose it would also be more efficient when it comes to energy consumption, which would certainly become an issue with four or five power cells instead of a single one.

Khnum

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 126
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »

I can say that Khnumed achaman could use sonic or radiative weapons in the future, my idea is to improve their aim through the improved helmet of both jaffas. In any case, if the other goa'uld want to create hybrid weapons, no problem. :yes:

Altzek

• Senior Master Sergeant
  • No
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2019, 06:58:30 AM »

Shadowlord also proposed working on the Intars, which I suppose is feasible.
You only need to work on their lethality, considering that their blasts are just for stunning.
Did anyone manage to salvage them from Apophis?

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 69
  • Bowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has Ascended
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2019, 07:01:02 AM »

(A quick note I know people have replied to Mims post, thats when I started writing this.)

In theory, if you wanted to keep a more traditional look to the Staff Weapons. Instead of a magazine if the main housing unit is made bigger, you could have 2 or 3 or the energy sources held in the body of the staff weapon and put on a rotating circuit so that it draws from power unit one, two, then three and by the time its back to one its cooled down.
(Same idea with out the magazine I guess. I'm only bringing it up because I was writing a post to do with this.)

Basically the reason I feel that the Jaffa weapons never really progressed to have assault rifle functionality. Is because in reality, from what I understand most fights between Jaffa were fought like Napoleonic battles. ranks of infantry firing at each other en-mass. Plus we never really see it, but I would imagine when fighting each other close quarters would also have been very Napoleonic the weapons become effective clubs. Sure it could have been made better with a pointy stick. But you have to remember more people were clubed to death with the butt of muskets over actually being stabbed with a Bayonet.

Plus I would argue that the Staff Weapons dont lack range, they lack accuracy, and that could quite easily be down to the fact that they are mass produced weapons. Going off of the Episode where we see a Staff Weapon Vs a P90, I cant fault Raknor's stance for 'sniping' with a staff weapon (From what little I know of science and the basics of marksmanship.) And assuming he was aiming at the same spot both times, that difference in hit can only really be caused by a dodgy weapon. (Or Ammunition but with... Plasma, Ammunition becomes a much more difficult factor to account for.)

Plus, your basic Jaffa soldier isnt likely aimed for accuracy. Again to use the Napoleonic reference once more, your going to be trained to fire quickly en-mass not to snipe one person. So as well as a possible lack in weapon quality, there may also be a lack of training to the basic Jaffa. I mean when Taneth sent a Jaffa to take out Teal'c on Vorash that was a pretty good shot, (He did fail to take out O'Niell, but taking away plot armour, we have to account for the time between shots and the fact that O'Niell did already have warning and time to react.)

Plus we never see Jaffa suffer from recoil from their weapons. (I know thats likely a limitation of the prop but just rolling with it.) it might mean that the Staff Weapons dont have recoil or a way to mitigate it. I mean just look at the Para Ordnance Tactical Target Rifle. Though it didnt remove recoil it reduced it in your conventional fire arm (Basically an M16.) So It might not be impossible for the Staff Weapon to have its own version of that.

I would argue that to 'Improve' the Staff Weapons you wouldnt need to add a stock and pistol grip. (I know that wasnt like the only option but its the only example of an alternative we have.) And that a change in, for lack of a better word, its feeding mechanizm could increas its rate of fire, a high quality of manufacture, and even just the basic addition of some sort of iron sights. (weather it be just a notch and post or some holographic type thing.) Could improve it immensely.

Cipherhornet18

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 115
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »

Cipher's Gun Chat - Attachments & Optics

The subject we're going to be covering today is Attachments & Optics, something that there can be a lot of talk on but not a whole lot in the way of understanding of. What are they, what do they do, how do they go on and so forth.

Let's start with the how, since everything starts with that. The most common and universal means of attachment onto a weapon is by way of a Picatinny rail, known also under its American military indexing identification as MIL-STD-1903. It consists of a strip with T-shape indentations spread out at equal spaces, with the top being wider. The component is slid along to the indentation where the item is to be fitted, and then secured with a bolt through the indentation. The bolt is either run through at installation and screwed in, though some attachments have a quick release method by using a latch that folds out to allow it to be removed and folds in to secure it.

Picatinny Rails either come pre-fixed to the weapon off the shelf, or it can be affixed later with aftermarket parts. These parts can at either be attached to replace the existing forearm or other parts, or added onto the weapon by a competent armorer.

Optics - Optics refers to a gunsight fitted to the weapon to supplement or replace the standard factory sights, typically known as iron sights. It is becoming more and more common that weapons are not coming with iron sights, to be added later if the user so desires.

The first main type are called Reflex Sights, and have two subtypes, Red Dot Sights and Holographic Sights. The general principle is that a reflex sight allows for rapid target acquisition by reducing the time needed to line up the sights on a target. By simply requiring the user to point a reticle onto the target, assuming the sight was properly aligned and the user is looking through it more or less straight (the latter achieved by proper training), the user can "reflexively" aim and shoot. The red dot sight is considered the most basic of the two, and while the technical description is fairly longwinded, the long of the short of it is that an LED is projected onto a mirror that can be projected so that the user can see through it.

The holographic sight, however, makes use of a laser hologram image, and this provides a clearer pictures, but they also have a shorter battery life.

There are numerous variations of the design, but the advantage is that the sight can be placed as far back or forward as the user needs it to be. They are traditionally not magnified, but magnification devices can be fitted behind the sight, which can be moved out of the way if the user does not require the magnification. However, these types of sights are poorly suited for precision fire at long range, but will generally get the job done for short and medium range engagements.

Telescopic Sight - For longer range engagements, a telescopic sight is generally considered ideal for the job. The most predominate type in military service are similar to the ACOG or Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight, from Trijcon. The sights are usually from 1.5x to 6x and provide good precision fire at short to long range, depending on the magnification used. There are other types, such as the ECLAN or SUSAT scope, but the principle is the same.

Traditional rifle scopes of various magnification and size are typically only found on sniper rifles. On top of the crosshair, there are usually points on both scopes to give the shooter a frame of reference for where to aim if the target is further than the initial zero distance, or how far the sight is set to from 0, usually the first point being 0-100 meters, and each additional mark indicating another 100 meters, but the actutal measurement can vary based on the intended use and who makes the scope.

Night Vision/Infrared Supplements - The final type of optics are used mainly for nighttime operations. The general idea is that these sights may not be sights on their own, but rather grant the user NV or IR vision through their selected optic, and as such, they can be found attached with an optic. The principle works about the same as NV or IR goggles, though.

Other Attachments - This area is fairly brief but just as important.

--Laser Aiming Devices: These devices are fairly simple, emitting a laser dot, much like a laser pointer, though these are typically aligned with the barrel to provide a frame of reference for not only rapid target acquisition, but also for pointing out targets to others as well. Many in military service are not visible without night vision or infrared visual aids, being projected outside of the normal visual spectrum. This means that those without goggles or scopes with those vision modes cannot see the beam.

--Tactical Flashlights: Though simple in its name, the idea is that the flashlight used is a powerful LED type, providing excellent illumination in dark areas. The other benefit is more elegant - the result of what happens when you shine a very bright light in someone's face in a dark area. You ruin their night vision (worse if they are wearing NV goggles) and can disorient them. A subtype is a strobe variant, where the light blinks rapidly to further disorient those subjected to it in low-light situation.

--Additional Grip Types: Vertical and Angled Foregrips are typically found on rifles and the primary use of these are to aid in the accuracy and manipulation of the firearm, as it is more natural for a grip in a vertical one perpendicular to the barrel rather than parallel to it. There are different sizes and styles, but the principle remains the same. Some weapons have these grips built into them off the shelf, others can have them mounted onto the rails.

--Bipods: Marksman rifles, sniper rifles, and machine guns typically use bipods, legs that can be folded down to brace the weapon in a prone position or a position that the user can take advantage of while kneeling or standing. It helps steady the weapon for more accurate fire.

--Supplemental Weapons: Underbarrel grenade launchers and shotguns can be fitted to many assault rifles for additional firepower. Grenade launchers are used to provide a much needed boost to a squad's firepower, and are often also attached with a specific additional sight for the proper use of the weapon. Shotguns are typically fitted as breaching tools - loaded with special shells for rapidly forcing open doors without needing to swap weapons.

Cipherhornet18

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2019, 06:16:32 AM »

Cipher's Gun Chat - Primary, Secondary, Sidearm (Or "What Do I Take In The Field?")

PART ONE

So, this is starting to come up, and I'd like to start addressing what this all really means. I'd also like to make suggestions and hopefully help people to feel like they can make good informed decisions when heading out.

-PRIMARY: So, your primary weapon is the main weapon you're going to use. It's something that will meet the majority of the needs you have for your weapon to fulfill. Really, most of the time, you can safely look at these being either assault rifles or SMGs, much like the show did.

So, which is better? - Well, that's not really a fair question. The correct one is which is better for what your character is doing.

SMGs - Submachine Guns are compact weapons that are great in close quarters and typically are good options for personnel who don't have a lot of combat training or a direct combat role. They fire smaller cartridge rounds so they generate less recoil, and I speak from personal experience. I had an opportunity to fire full-auto SMGs, an Uzi and an MP5A3. Now I have some firearms experience, but none with full-auto weapons, and I found both very comfortable and easy to control. (And before you ask, both were equally good). And with the P90 and MP7, the issue of body armor is less than it would have been in times past.

-Assault Rifles & Battle Rifles- Assault Rifles come in sizes from compact short barreled rifles (generally anything under 11in barrel length is an SBR), carbines and full sized rifles. Battle Rifles are assault rifles chambered in 7.62 caliber ammunition or larger, since they typically have to be employed in longer range semi-auto fire roles. These are the primary service rifles of militaries, and so they are the go-to for units expecting to see heavy combat off-world. As their size goes up, so does their usefulness in medium and long range engagements, but they also become less effective in close-quarters situations. Modern assault rifles can easily take the role of an SMG in close-quarters when properly selected, since there are compact enough variants, by experienced personnel.

But let's do a quick overview of each type that is available to make sure you know what you're looking at. I'm skipping the P90 because we already covered it. I'm also skipping the F88, Ak5C, and FAMAS as they are Alpha Site exclusives, but I'll come back to those at some point in the future.

-H&K MP5 Series - 9x19mm
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The MP5-Series is considered the gold standard by which all modern submachine guns are now compared against. They are used by military and law enforcement units all over the world, and have been tailored to meet the needs of these various customers. The base models are seen with either solid fixed stocks or collapsing stocks that can be retracted into the weapon to make it easier to transport and then extended for accurate fire. Newer types feature added on rail mount hand guards for the attachment of vertical or angled foregrips, tactical lights or laser aiming devices, but some variants come with handguards with tactical lights built into them (this was a common request from SWAT-type units).

The SD series are different because they are fitted with integral suppressors - meaning that nothing is needed to suppress the weapon out of the box, whereas normal weapons need the addition of a suppressor on the muzzle and potentially the use of subsonic ammunition. They are generally considered to be very quiet firearms and ideal for stealth operations, and like the base MP5, come with either fixed or collapsable stocks.

The MP5K and MP5K PDW are compact variants. The base MP5K has no stock, instead the buttplate has a hook ring for a sling to be attached. This was intended for bodyguards and others who needed an extremely compact weapon, while the MP5K PDW has a flash hider and a side-folding stock to better control the weapon in normal shooting situations. Contrary to what Hollywood shows, even the most controllable weapon can be difficult to tame if you have little to brace it with.

The drawback of the MP5-Series is the use of the 9mm round, which can have issues penetrating body armor. Though H&K attempted to introduce types using different calibers, such as 10mm and .40 S&W for the FBI, these wound up not going anywhere and fell out of use, though they'd take the lessons learned for the UMP series.

-H&K MP7A1 - 4.6x30mm HK

The MP7 is the direct competitor to the P90, taking a more conventional route with its shape and design. It uses a different round but the performance between 5.7x28mm (P90) and 4.6x30mm (MP7) are largely similar to where it makes near no difference. It can be made to be a very compact weapon by using 20-round magazines and keeping the stock and grip collapsed, but is more commonly seen with everything extended and using 30 or 40 round magazines. Unlike the P90, the MP7 was adopted by US Special Operations units, but otherwise, if asking between the P90 and MP7, it can come down to personal preferences. Its round has the same armor piercing capabilities, they are both compact and low recoil, but maybe aren't as suited for long range engagements.

-H&K UMP-45 - .45 ACP

The UMP was supposed to be the next evolution to the MP5, simplifying it and offering it in other calibers, but sales fell short. The UMP-45 is interesting because it is a modern SMG chambered in .45 ACP, not a common caliber for a lot of reasons, chief among them is the high recoil it generates in full-auto. H&K capped the rate of fire to a much lower one to mitigate this issue, so the UMP-45 fires at a much slower rate than other SMGs but the trade-off is having much better stopping power. It is an accurate weapon, if a bit bigger than an MP5. While the UMP is offered in 9mm and .40 S&W, these are not available without a Weapons Request. (Cipher Note: I'm likely to reject these requests without a good reason. With the MP5, the UMP-9 is superfluous and .40 S&W is not a military service round, it is largely found in law enforcement units.)

-Colt M16A4/M4A1 - 5.56x45mm NATO

The standard issue service weapon of the US Armed Forces, the M16 has had a long and varied history, but has largely proven itself in combat for the past 40 years. The M16A4 is the latest iteration, including the use of rail mounts under the carrying handle and on the hand guard to allow for additional attachments. Like the M16A2 before it, the M16A4 does not feature a full-auto function, only a 3-round burst and semi-auto fire modes are selectable. This is not unusual and most US riflemen are trained to only use semi-auto, to better emphasize the M16's excellent accuracy.

The M4A1, however, does have a full-auto mode instead of the burst fire option, though the base M4 is more in line with the M16A2/A4. The M4 is a carbine of the M16, it was built to be smaller and experiences in Iraq are causing the US military to shift from only issuing the M4 as its primary service weapon. It uses a collapseable six-position (meaning it can be set in six different length positions) stock and most M4s come with 14.5 inch barrels, as opposed to the 20 inch barrel of the M16. However, M4A1s tend to see the most extreme changes due to a frankly absurd number of aftermarket modification parts available on top of the number of attachments that can be fitted.

-H&K G36 Series - 5.56x45mm NATO

The G36 is the current service rifle of the German Armed Forces and has been widely exported around the world. There are three types that it comes in - the full size G36 (variants in SGC use will be the G36V), the carbine G36K (variants in SGC use will be the G36KV), and the short barrel rifle variant G36C. To its credit, the G36 makes heavy use of polymers and plastics in its construction, making it a lightweight weapon, but this has also proven to be its downfall as G36s in German Army use in Afghanistan are showing reduced performance when exposed to high temperatures and in sustained fire roles. It also does not use the same magazines as other 5.56 rifles without the use of an adapter, and so while it uses the same ammunition, magazines cannot be interchanged.

The G36V and G36KV have integrated optical sights in their carrying handles, though the G36KV has the option of having a flat-top rail mount carrying handle like the G36C instead to allow for the addition of different optics instead. Rail mounts can be added to the handguard on all G36s to allow for the use of angled or vertical foregrips and aiming devices.

NOTE: As stated previously, the G36 Series will see a draw down in inventories, with planned reduction by 2015 and total removal from off-world use by 2018. Continued use will require a request to be filed.

-H&K HK416 & HK417 - 5.56x45mm (416)/7.62x51mm (417)

The HK416 is externally similar to the M4, and this is not coincidence - it was a marketing move by H&K to sell it in the United States to replace the M16 and M4. Internally, it has more in common with the G36. However, it has gained popularity and has been adopted by US military units. The base HK416 is in use with Special Operations units, while the US Marine Corps, in order to replace the bulky M249 Squad Automatic Weapon in the urban combat situations of Iraq, have begun issuing the M27 IAR, a variant of the HK416 fitted with a 16.5 inch heavier barrel, better suited for support fire. It should be noted that while the HK416 uses the same STANAG (NATO standardization protocol) aluminium magazines that are standard issue with the M16 and other rifles in 5.56, it cannot accept aftermarket 5.56 magazines like the M16 or M4 without modification.

The HK417, on the other hand, is the 7.62mm battle rifle cousin of the HK416. It is obviously bigger to handle the more powerful round, and can be used as either a battle rifle or as a marksman's rifle, due to being better suited for long range accurate fire. However, aside from the obvious differences, it has some commonality with the HK416.

FNH SCAR-L/SCAR-H - 5.56x45mm (SCAR-L), 7.62x51mm (SCAR-H)

The SCAR series assault rifles are made to be modular assault rifles that can be easily swapped with different barrel lengths and calibers by an armory team with minimal effort. (Cipher Note: NO. You cannot do the change in the field, this is not the DC-17 from Star Wars. And no, there is no firearm that can do this so do not ask.) The SCAR-L is the 5.56 variant, while the SCAR-H is the 7.62 version, and while they are most commonly seen in tan, they can be found in black as well. They come with three different barrel types - CQC is the compact barrel length (L = 10in, H = 13in), STD is the "standard" barrel length (L = 14in, H = 16in), and LB is the long barrel version (L = 18in, H = 20in). What this means is that smaller barrels can be fitted for close quarters combat, while the longer barrels can be fitted when it is expected to engage targets at medium and long range.

NOTE: Unfortunately, with the glut of 5.56 rifles in service, the SCAR-L simply has found itself obsolete and without many customers. The US Military has decided to drop the model completely, and so SCAR-Ls will be unavailable by next Season without a Weapon Request. However, the SCAR-H is immensely popular and will not be going anywhere, due to the fact that it is a rare case of a lightweight and effective rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO that can be used as both a long range marksman's rifle and as a shorter ranged assault rifle. The dedicated marksman's rifle variant, the Mk. 20 SSR, will become available for general use by next Season.

((TO BE CONTINUED IN PART II))

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 345
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 10:52:08 AM »

It's a pity the F88 doesn't use the STANMAG as I am getting to liking it now. :D

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 03:46:48 AM »

Cipher's Gun Chat - Primary, Secondary, Sidearm (Or "What Do I Take In The Field?")

PART TWO

-SECONDARY: Your secondary weapon is optional, but it is also intended to augment your character's role on the team. This is because it is a specialist weapon, situational in one way or another, or otherwise will not be used more than the primary weapon. There are different roles here in that situation. In some cases, your primary weapon is going to be a smaller weapon better suited for close quarters because your secondary is a very specialist but large weapon that isn't ideal for what the rest of the team is heading into.

So, what are the options?

DMR - Designated Marksman Rifles are halfway between a sniper rifle and an assault rifle. They are intended to give a squad extended reach when it is required but these rifles are not sniper rifles because they are not built to the same standards - they only need to reach out to about 600 meters and accuracy is not as fine tuned. (In short - slapping a scope on a rifle does not make it a sniper rifle.) They are good for providing accurate long range fire but generally should be taken with something that can give the user a backup option in close quarters if they are rushed or ambushed by an enemy.

Sniper Rifle - These rifles are indeed specialist weapons, most countries only issue them to dedicated snipers who have gone through sniper schools to learn not just to shoot, but also to operate with just their spotter (a soldier who helps to plot out the shot and ensure the sniper is able to hit the target, if not the first time, then by following where the bullet landed and provide adjustment information) cut off and behind the lines. Just showing up and quoting Tom Berenger from "Sniper" (One shot, one kill) and wearing a ghille suit like in Call of Duty doesn't count. Anyways. Sniper rifles are powerful rifles fitted with telescopic sights that are intended to give the best possible view to the furthest possible reach. These rifles are typically bolt-action, meaning the user has to manually cycle the weapon to remove the spent shell casing and load a new round between shots, but some are semi-automatic. While they are built to be incredibly accurate, this means they are not as hardy as assault rifles; they require more effort to maintain and are less forgiving if knocked around since this can cause the delicate balance to achieve the best accuracy to be lost.

Anti-Materiel Rifles are a subset of sniper rifles; they are massive rifles chambered in very large calibers (such as .50 BMG, a heavy machine gun round) intended to take out equipment rather than people. However, they still see use on organic targets because the huge round they use also gives these rifles some impressive range. If one were to look at the longest ranged confirmed sniper kills, the majority were achieved with anti-materiel rifles (the top being a Canadian sniper team using a TAC-50 bolt action .50 rifle). Contrary to video gaming, these rifles are massive, weigh a great deal, their recoil is quite impressive (though not arm shatteringly awful) and they are horrible in close quarters.

Machine Guns - These weapons are belt-fed automatic weapons intended to lay down a lot of fire in a short time. Their belts of ammunition give them around 100-200 rounds, which they need due to their high rates of fire. The main role of a machine gun is to suppress the enemy, since no one is going to be too inclined to get out of cover when they've got several dozen rounds being sprayed around them, allowing the rest of the squad to flank the enemy on their terms. Since machine guns have such large ammunition capacities, they typically don't even need to be that accurate, since a user can just "walk" the fire at the target, where they just shift fire until the bullets start finding their mark. However, they are not light weapons, their ammunition is carried in bulky containers, and they are not great for close quarters (just ask the SAW gunners who were in house-to-house fighting in Iraq).

Shotguns - With their scattering shot blasts and short range, shotguns are considered ideal for close quarters combat. But there is more to them than that, though that is an accurate assessment on its own. Another popular use for shotguns is for rapid entry into a building, by properly employing a shotgun with specialized breaching slug ammunition, a user can blast apart a door's hinges and lock, making it easier to remove the door as an obstacle. It can also load less-than-lethal shells, like beanbag rounds, for incapacitating a threat without killing it. However, there is a general rule - most semi-automatic shotguns are ill-suited to using specialty shells because these shells have a reduced powder content. In short, less powder means less gas generated when firing, and without enough gas, the action is not operated properly, causing a jam. Some shotguns overcome this by having the ability to go to pump-action, where the user manually operates the pump fore-end to cycle the weapon, others have gone to an adjustable gas piston system, but a few have neither and just do not load these specialty rounds. While a shotgun is a great option for close quarters, their small capacity and lack of range options means a user should pack something to compensate otherwise.

Launchers - Grenade Launchers, Unguided Rocket Launchers, and Guided Missile Launchers, these weapons are intended to give a soldier a lot of explosive firepower. Grenade Launchers fire grenade rounds (NOT ACTUAL HAND GRENADES, I should point out) that can give a squad a bit of artillery support on their own, ideal for clearing out strong points they may encounter. Unguided rocket launchers fire a powerful rocket projectile at a target, either useful for taking out enemy light vehicles or demolishing enemy fortifications. Guided missile launchers are typically ideal for engaging their intended target, armor or air, at long range, at the best possible accuracy. This is a unique situation as you'll see.

Let's continue looking over the examples available on the list -

-M14 Series - 7.62mm NATO

Despite the M14 pushing over 40 years in service, it is still a go-to, but not as a battle rifle. Rather, because of its weight, it is considered a stable and accurate platform for longer range shooting. Most M14s these days have replaced their wood furniture for polymer and fiberglass ones, since they are less prone to being affected by environmental conditions, time, and are lighter. Mk. 14 EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle) is a rifle developed by US Navy Special Warfare (hence why it uses the Mark designation, not a normal M one) to update the M14 for modern combat specifications. While they intended to use it in normal combat, the appearance of the SCAR-H meant it got kicked back to being a marksman's rifle once again. Overall, for long range accurate semi-automatic fire, there are few that do the job as well as an M14.

H&K G3A3 Series - 7.62mm NATO

The G3A3 is from the same era as the M14, except hailing from Germany and heavily exported all over the world. Like the M14, it is an accurate and stable firing platform, and shares many of the same qualities, despite the differences they have. The G3SG/1 is a variant of the G3 that is optimized as a marksman's rifle, fitted with a scope and different stock. A small number of these were somehow acquired for the Stargate Program, and for reasons that aren't entirely known or understood, but given that the German Military still maintain massive numbers of G3 rifles, keeping them in service has been fairly simple.

NOTE: The future of the G3 in Off-world service is something I am seriously in doubt of. It makes very little sense and I have few compelling reasons past the fact they were on the show to keep them. They may be phased out later on.

KAC SR-25 Series/M110 SASS - 7.62mm NATO

The SR-25 is a semi-automatic sniper rifle that initially was adopted by US Special Forces, but has been exported to several other countries. In US Service, it is known by it's US Navy designation as well, the Mk. 11 Mod. 0, but SR-25 is just as accurate a name. The US Army requested some changes to be made to the SR-25, this is the M110 SASS (Semi Automatic Sniper System). However, the general principle is the same - a semi-automatic sniper rifle based on the AR-platform. Users who are familiar with an M16 or M4 will find the SR-25 to be a familiar tool to use.

In recent years, KAC has offered smaller versions of the SR-25 for environments where accuracy is needed, but size can be a liability. These do blur the line between Sniper Rifle and Battle Rifle, and therefore will require a Weapons Request to use.

Remington M24 - 7.62mm NATO

The M24 is a bolt action rifle that is the standard sniper rifle of the US Army and US Air Force. Like the Marine Corps' M40-series, the M24 is based on the venerable Remington Model 700 rifle. Though examples with detachable magazines of the M24 exist, these are not in service and it is loaded with individual rounds into an internal 5-round magazine. It is a very accurate weapon and fairly simple. This makes it excellent at long range, but the small capacity magazine that has to be loaded one round at a time and lack of backup sights means it should not be used in close-quarters.

-Accuracy International L115A3 - .338 Lapua Magnum

A rather famous family of sniper rifles, the L115A3 (known as the Arctic Warfare Super Magnum - AWSM) is considered to be one of the best examples of a modern sniper rifle in service today. Thanks to this rifle and its use of the excellent long range properties of its .338 Lapua Magnum chambering, a British Army sniper achieved a confirmed kill-shot in Afghanistan at a range of 2707 Yards/2475 Meters in November of 2009, which held the top place for several years until being beat by another Canadian sniper with a .50 BMG rifle, which had held the record prior to this shot. It is very good at long range fire, but like the M24, it is hardly ideal for close quarters - regardless of how many 360 noscopes you got with it in Counterstrike...

NOTE: In 2013, when the Remington MSR becomes available, both the M24 and L115A3 will become unavailable and will require a Weapons Request to continue to use. The M24 will be retired and the L115A3s will be returned to Britain.

-Barrett M107 - .50 BMG

The M107 is a decedent of the M82, affectionately known as the "Light Fifty". This series of rifles are known to be the gold standard by which all other semi-automatic anti-materiel rifles are held against. Thanks to its method of operation, as well as the massive muzzle brake at the end of the barrel, the M107 has surprisingly lighter recoil than expected. The M107's upgrade added a rail mount along the top of the weapon to allow for different scopes to be fitted, as well as general updates from the base M82A1. It has excellent range and is useful for damaging enemy equipment at long range, but despite the reduced recoil, it is not suited at all for close quarters shooting.

NOTE: The M107A1 is expected to enter into armories by the middle of next season. This listing does NOT include the M107CQ, the short barrel variant, and a Weapons Request must be filed to use it. The same applies for the M107A3, which is a Marine Corps only variant.

TO BE CONTINUED - MACHINE GUNS, SHOTGUNS & LAUNCHERS

(Seriously, these take me hours to do, I can't do them in one sitting)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 09:27:35 AM »

We use the old L1A1 SLR as a ceremonial rifle. What I didn't know is that some elements in the Army, namely 4RAR use a scoped version in field as a cheaper alternative to market sniper rifles. They claim its still good for 800 yards, which in general terms is adequate. Do you think we'd have room for something like that?

Cipherhornet18

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »

I'm aware of the FAL and no.

The benchmark here is the US Military and whatever made it onto the show besides. File a weapons request like everyone else if you want it.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:08 AM »

No I was only curious is all. I am quite certain that the M1903 Springfield is in the SGC armory as would be the M1 Garand. I think one of those weapons were seen in the show at one point.

Cipherhornet18

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »

Only in the hands of low-tech off-world aliens, which doesn't count. Honor guard weapons also don't count because they're not intended to be used for anything but ceremonial purposes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal