Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Two RP Ideas from Cipher  (Read 256 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Two RP Ideas from Cipher
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:47 AM »

Sorry in advance, it's just that both ideas are kind of similar and rather than create two topics, I'm just going to pool them into one post. Here goes!

Name of RPG The Division - Dark Winter

Theme or Genre Military Thriller / Semi Post-Apocalyptic

Plot outline I had run this idea briefly in a one-off game with someone else that never got far, but my idea was to kind of use the setting of the Tom Clancy MMORPG/TPS "The Division" mixed with the other of the three units of the Tom Clancy gaming universes; The Ghosts (Ghost Recon), Rainbow (Rainbow Six), and Fourth Echelon (Splinter Cell).

So, for those of you playing at home, The Division is set in Manhattan after a deadly virus has swept through the city. Social order broke down as the government lost control, and the island was quarantined after there was no hope of a cure to be found. As part of a last ditch effort, the US Government activates a contingency plan. The Division was formed in realization that if the US was hit by a catastrophic attack, the proverbial house of cards that is modern infrastructure would collapse, and as such, sleeper agents were trained and placed within the US. When activated, these Agents were to restore order by any means necessary, and answered to no one but themselves and the top levels of the US Government. A "First Wave" of Agents were activated when authorities were trying to contain the infection to a portion of central Manhattan, the so-called Dark Zone, but when that failed, most of these Agents were lost, either killed or missing (later found to have gone rogue). A Second Wave was activated from the surrounding areas, including Brooklyn, but the effort was sabotaged.

So, my idea originally was to just start with Rainbow, which is an elite counter-terror unit drawn from nearly every nationality. The premise basically is that if terror knows no border, the response should not either. They technically operate in secret, often disguising themselves as local law enforcement when on mission, but that secrecy is hazy. But I figured to appeal to more people, I would open up the Ghosts and Fourth Echelon.

The Ghosts were originally a Company of Green Berets, considered the best of the US Army and often given the chance to field test the latest equipment to give them an even sharper edge. However, as of Ghost Recon Wildlands, it's explained they're now a joint service branch under US Joint Special Operations Command, and it's not unheard of that exceptional individuals from foreign militaries are invited to work with the Ghosts.

Fourth Echelon is a covert agency that is the successor to the National Security Agency's disbanded Third Echelon. They prefer to work from the shadows, remaining unseen and unheard and outside of a few very rare situations, Third Echelon agents worked either solo or in pairs. For them to work in any larger groups usually was a dire circumstance. Fourth Echelon originally only had a very small number of operatives, but I see no reason why it wouldn't expand a little.

The general idea is that one way or another, the Ghosts, Rainbow, and Fourth Echelon have people now stuck in the Quarantine Zone of Manhattan. Though the Division can commandeer them, the current on-site commander, Agent Faye Lau, tends to see the logic in cooperating with the remains of law and order in New York City.

I kind of wanted to expirement with a sort of progression and some RPG mechanics with this one. The Ghosts would be the heavy hitters, 4E Agents are more for stealth and whatnot, Rainbow is in the middle, and the Division would be like the wildcard, a bit more flexible but requiring some good forethought to make them work. I can ditch that though if it's unappealing.

ANYWAYS! ONTO IDEA #2

Name of RPG T2K: That Which Remains (working title)

Theme or Genre Post-Apocalyptic/Military Thriller

Plot outline So, I'm kind of a fan of an RPG called Twilight 2000. No, it has nothing to do with vampires and allusions to Mormon abstinence virtues. T2K was written as an RPG set in the year 2000 after World War 3 kicked off in the late 80s/early 90s, with civilization finally given a solid kick in 1999 after the US and USSR entered into a partial exchange of strategic nuclear attacks on major cities.

Basically, the war hit just about every corner of the globe, though the two main theaters were in Central Europe and in China. Now as the dust settles, most of the survivors don't care about their governments, they want to survive and so some of the major cities have turned into their own settlements (an example is Krakow, Poland, which became a "free city" that welcomed NATO and Warsaw Pact troops alike so long as they left the war outside). Though some units continue the fight, many soldiers have either started to make their way back home or have just given up fighting for a country and either turned into raiders or joined one of these settlements (again with Krakow, elements of a Polish Infantry Division stopped fighting to instead be the protectors of Krakow).

There are a couple potential settings. The base game starts with the characters in Poland after the last NATO offensive to dislodge Pact forces in Poland failed miserably and they were told they were on their own. Players could be from any country's military (the unit was American but it was still a NATO unit, while deserters are a welcome character background) and the players attempt to find a way out of Poland while dodging the various forces in the area, from the Pact troops still fighting the war hunting them to raider bands. And not all enemies are allies (there are cases where the players were to encounter Soviet troops who may not have been friendly but not overtly hostile either) or vice versa (I haven't seen it come up but it stands to reason that the players might not always be welcomed by some NATO units).

I also know another setting was in Texas, as the Soviets and Mexicans had invaded at some point during the war but had basically given up. The American government is divided because the matter of who is President after the last one was killed in the November nuclear strikes, and much of Texas wants to go their own way. The players were up against neo-fascists trying to take over Texas, as well as the desperate Soviet troops who want to get out and go back home and some overly zealous Mexican troops.

The last major setting I knew of was in the Middle East, where the war was still actively being fought. US, French, Saudi and Israeli forces were fighting the Soviets, Iraqis and the pro-Soviet Iranians, but that one I don't know much about.

At any rate, it's got a lot of freedom for what to do, and I think we could have some fun with this.

Either way, let me know what you guys think!

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Thaddeus Thumb turning green.Thaddeus Thumb turning green.
Re: Two RP Ideas from Cipher
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »

Tbh - I really like both but if I were to choose, it probably would be the second idea? Seems an interesting premise and gives a wide angle for people to get involved. I would be down for helping out with that :)

SymonDrayson

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Chief Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • SymonDrayson hides in shadows.
  • Contra Ignorantiam
    • Musings of a Chaotic Mind
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 12:33:41 PM »

I for one LOVED Twilight 2000. Had a running game when I was in the Army. Still got my books. So 2nd choice is an interesting idea.
Disfides et Veritas ~ Defiance and Truth

“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Robert Laurel is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »

I played Twilight 2000 when it first came out and bought the core rulebook for the aborted second launch.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.Cipherhornet18 is a force to reckon with.
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »

I have the 2nd edition sourcebook in digital form, and my desktop PC has a ton of them...its just 60 miles away lol.

lethal-pageant