Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lt James, Prior Enlistment and other fan theories of SGU  (Read 106 times)

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.Bowsy 112 is a force to reckon with.
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
Lt James, Prior Enlistment and other fan theories of SGU
« on: March 05, 2018, 01:13:27 PM »

Now this is something that came up with ideas for my fan-fiction universe.

As we all know SGU was a little bit, dodgy on the military side of things. Such as the rank gap between Young and Scott, Greer possibly being a little young for his supposed rank and what not.
(Not complaining, these are just things that have come up in a few places, Less issues with the story and more production issues.)

However my primary focuse is the fact that it is commonly believed that 2nd Lt Vanessa James has some prior experience before becoming a 2nd Lt as an enlisted Airman. Mostly this is based off of the fact she has more experience than Lt Scott but is a lower rank.
With Scott stating he went to the USAF academy, did SGC training and Icarus was his first assignment, though James makes reference to a tour of duty in Iraq and involvement in Special Forces.

Anyway, my train of thought was. Using the StarGate Wikipedia. That she was born around 1982 / 1983 / 1984 (The Wiki gives one year, but no exact date or age, so I am giving myself some wiggle room.) And assuming that a USAF 2nd Lt is the same as other 2nd Lt's where you are typically promoted after a year or two, I am assuming that she was given the commission before going to Icarus base and that was her first posting as an officer. So for arguments sake the Wiki gives Icarus's as 2007, lets assume this is when she did her training as an officer and was posted there as soon as she was commissioned. Assuming her birthday is correct on the wiki that means she is 24 when she becomes an officer. Another assumption is that she was 18 if she enlisted. Meaning she could have been in the USAF as an enlisted member for 6 years, making her anywhere from Airman First Class to Staff Sergeant. (I have to admit Staff Sergeant is a little Dodgy in my mind at 6 years. But its possible to make Sergeant (The same Pay Grade) in the USMC in the same amount of time.(Also to argue the fact it could be possible, at least in the Stargate fandom is that Greer supposedly made Master Sergeant. (Three pay grades higher than USAF Staff Sergeant) in 7 years.)) To be safe I would put her in the middle of this as a Senior Airman before she becomes an officer.

But really I am curious as to what other people think of this? Am I miles off? Do people have different ideas? What rank do you think she would have been?

Or do you want to talk about someother fan theory you have seen or you have about SGU?