Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Atlantis- Psychology Section- Med bay level  (Read 1529 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 196
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Atlantis- Psychology Section- Med bay level
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »

The office of the resident psychologist is generally taken on a rotation basis by one of four permanent staff of the SGC psychology team. Currently Lieutenant Colonel Annie Horowitz is on the current rotation after six weeks at the Alpha Site. For the duration of her stay, she has made the office her own, as one would notice behind her desk is a photo of her mentor Doctor Sydney Freedman not long before that wonderful man passed away as she was graduating from the Army Medical school. On a bookshelf nearby, is an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels, it was labeled 'poison', a simple message to prove that everyone has their own demons to deal with. She has had that same bottle for eight years now.

Annie will most often be found doing cross word puzzles when she is not seeing someone. Her door will be always open, or at least partially ajar letting anyone and everyone know that she is always there to talk to. Rarely out of her green BDU's, she doesn't look much like your average shrink, her thick Brooklyn accent doesn't help either. But she is considered the best in the business and is in the highest regard by Stargate Command for the wonderful work she does.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
Re: Atlantis- Psychology Section- Med bay level
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »

At first Elle thought about getting changed, then decided against it. For if Annie was going to get inside her head, she had to see her as she was on the outside which was a deep reflection of the woman. At 38, pressing close on 39 years of age, she had to maintain whatever level of fitness both mentally and physically and if that meant turning up to the shrink in your active wear, so be it. Besides she had by now stopped sweating. "Knock, knock." She said, with even those two words being expressed you could tell where she came from, that wonderful land down under.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »

There was the sound of something heavy being put down on a desk. A scuffle of a chair being moved, and the closing of a drawer.

Elle wasn't left to wait long. Annie made her prompt appearance, opening the door widely to welcome Elle inside. "Captain, welcome!" she greeted with a smile, a look that suited the woman's face well. She was in uniform, impeccably neat and tidy, but the warm smile was at odds to her professional appearance. It always helped to put patients at ease, and a good smile was always the first step.

The office inside was similar. Neat, certainly organised, but the addition of several framed photographs and a rather homey looking sofa prevented things from looking too sterile. A little less military. A little touch of home.

"I've been looking forward to meeting you. My name is Annette Horowitz," came the greeting, and the offered handshake. The leaving off of her rank was deliberate. It tended to help with clients weren't forcibly reminded this was a military operation. The point, after all, was to help them relax.

Although, by the looks of it, helping Elle "relax" wasn't going to be the problem. Elle, for some reason, had turned up in workout clothes.

Not a good start on the 'Effort and Motivation' evaluation.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:13:52 PM by Val »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:53:55 PM »

Before accepting the outstretched hand, Elle took a very quick look around the surroundings, she needed to get a picture of the person who was about to get in deep and personal to those vacuous spaces of her head. Neat, clean, tidy. There was a couple of things she noted that were slightly off, that bottle Jack Daniels, obviously old because the label was slightly peeled on one corner and that sticky pasted over the top saying 'poison', told Elle that the Shrink to wasn't without a demon or two of her own. Then there was the uniform. Typically even service psychs refrained from wearing them, she had seen enough over the years to know that. Even during her quick return home the two she saw, a Naval Commodore and an Army Major both wore suits when she was under their scrutiny. Annie's wearing of her uniform told Elle that she was in the company of one who was no threat mentally, she wasn't about to use any fancy shrink's tricks to get the job done.

Elle shook the hand firmly as one soldier to another. "Thank you, I must say your reputation precedes you." Her half smile was one of an easy going 'I'm okay' kind, not forced at all. Elle had of course heard much about Annie back at the SGC, some of her own people had seen her so knew the rep was a good one. "I was informed by Woolsey my situation was to be evaluated before returning to duty Doctor. So here I am. Would you be convinced if I told you I haven't shouted at anyone in over a week?" Almost two weeks, one before this she was too melancholy to even think about raising her voice.
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:45:28 AM »

Annie gave a genuine laugh at that.

"Then I'd call that progress," came the reply, as she shut the door behind Ellie and directed her with a gesture towards the couch.

The look around the room hadn't escaped Annie's attention, nor the way her eyes had lingered on the bottle. "I keep it there as a reminder," she added as she found her own seat, giving a little nod in the bottle's direction so Elle knew what she was talking about.

That was good. Observation hadn't lapsed. That helped to make up some of the ground lost by lack of attention to personal grooming. They were minor things, all little bits and pieces, but that was why Annie was here. To observe. Little bits and pieces that gave clues to a wider picture of the mystery that was Captain Elle McFearson.

"First though, the formalities," she continued, with a little gesture by way of apology.

An audio recorder was pulled from a neighboring drawer, and Annie held it up, a little red Recording light flicking to life.

"The date is <edit>. Captain Elle McFearson RAN, for a Psychological Assessment referred by <name rank.> This interview commences at <time>."

She leaned forward, resting it on the table between them, and resumed her usual smile.

"Captain, it's good to see you. Just letting you know that this interview will take place in three parts, and the final stage will involve a few simple screening tests. We should be complete in less than an hour. With your permission, I would like to take an audio recording during this interview which I will use to accurately record information you provide, and will be used for transcription purposes only. This tape will not be shared. If you choose not to be audiotaped, I will take notes instead. If you agree to being audiotaped but feel uncomfortable at any time during the interview, I can turn off the recorder at your request. Or, if you do not wish to continue, you can stop the interview at any time." There was something robotic in speech. One she had clearly delivered more than once.

"Do you understand?" Clearly, she did, but it was still a question that needed to be asked for the sake of the tape.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 03:23:22 AM »

Her eyes drifted to the said couch as she listened to Annie's psych 101. It was a severe case of been there done that numerous times in Elle's long career, the first of those sessions not long after the horrid affair of having to see people throwing themselves into a raging sea with their ship on fire and there wasn't a damned thing Elle as Naval helicopter pilot could do; except extract a terrible revenge on the pirates responsible only hours later when her Sea King went from rescuer to hunter/killer. Apart from the horrors of fighting the Wraith, that was quite possibly her worst life's experience.

"No its fine Doctor I've got nothing to hide." The words tumbled out as her bum found the edge of the couch. "Oh yeah I do, if you scan my file you'll see I have frequent flyer points in the presence of your profession's peers. Not that I'm wacko by all means, in my job sometimes you need someone to talk to who isn't either your CO, your lover or your Mother. Mind if I merely sit, if I lay back on this..." Her hand rested on the head end. "...you'll have one extremely sleepy patient on your hands, I'm better off alert and able to look you in the eye." Up late last night in the gym and early to rise again this morning, she had just about worked out every knot in her mind and body.
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 05:39:32 AM »

Well, no, Elle didn't look like the sort of woman who spend a lot of time idly sitting. However, it wasn't for Annie to make that sort of judgement call. Instead, she only smiled again, with a noncomittal "Of course, whatever makes you comfortable."

To business, then. Annie reached over to the side table again, where a pen and a clipboard was resting on the table. Going by the quick glance that Elle had available, it appeared to be a checklist.

"How have you been feeling since your last visit with Dr. Johansson?" she asked. She had, of course, been given a copy of Elle's patient record and tapes from her mandatory counselling back on Earth. The progress looked promising, but it would be important to know if the return to base had brought along any shift in her mental state.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 11:26:12 PM »

Taking a non aggressive position by leaning forward just a little with her hands clasped between her knees Elle slowly began to give her own appraisal of her present condition without flowering it over too much. "I'm not going to say its been easy Annie, far from it. Even in the last twenty four hours I've had nightmares over this entire affair." She had to start there, that in fact was where it all began a month ago on that first night after Mike was taken.

She bit her bottom lip for a moment, her mind going through every event since that day like the typical warrior she was. Carefully and with precision, as if it were a military manoeuvre she was working on, something that required the utmost finesse that only she could muster. "Having said that, I'm not waking up with the sweats, I'm controlling or should I say filtering what I see in those visions because in reality I know that is all they are, just visions my own fears and insecurities have placed there." Could she safely say she was out of the danger zone now? No less than any other commander who has the night sweats over the people he or she has lost yet still manages to confront the everyday. "I suppose since I saw Johansson back home I'm in a better place than I was a month ago, in fact I could safely say that I've managed to clear away a few skeletons that had been lurking in there..." Elle tapped her forehead. "...for a number of years. Having Mike around though in the past has been my fire extinguisher so to speak. See..." She grinned. "...I can say his name now without breaking down into sobbing miserable mess. It still hurts, there is no doubt of that, but I am not giving into it as I did before." That was the thing that had started her downward spiral in the first place, not being in control. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:41:21 AM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:25:12 AM »

That was a measured response. Good. If nothing else, it showed that Elle was aware of her present mental state and of her current downfalls. It wasn't perfect, but it showed she was capable of foreseeing the areas she needed to work on, and, in recovery, that was half the battle. 

Good. That was all good.

"These dreams," Annie pressed gently. "What can you tell me about them? Are they always the same, or are they different? What do you see?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:54:23 AM »

"Oh boy!" Elle sighed with a half grin on her face. "Doc, do you really, I mean really want to know that?" She almost started to giggle like the former teenage Helen of so many years ago. Come to think on it, that was almost two decades ago she shrugged off the last vestiges of girlhood when she went into the academy; she hadn't even come close to being that same innocent teen since graduation, learning the hard way to grow a spine or fail.

"Alright, I'll give you the 101 on my inner most secrets, those little images that often flood my sleep time, which I will say have been there since the day Mike and I met. Erotic, sort of, but we've never really been that kind of couple, its just those kind of dreams I think all women have at some point about the man they love. The usual sort of thing, a wedding that might be invaded by Wraith or Goa'uld. A death that was unavoidable, regrettable moments that in your dreams you try hard to repair." She was almost rambling but it felt good.

Leaning even further forward, Elle picked up a glass of water, took a sip then finished what she was wanting to say. "The last batch of dreams or images if you like, were a replay of our last moments together, although each time the words we spoke were different. Words I guess I or he should have said or perhaps wished at some point we could have said...." Was that crazy? No she didn't think so, but of course that was up to Annie to say.
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 03:06:33 AM »

Dreams were always a bit of nebulous topic. Some ascribed more importance to it than others, but the contents could often provide some clues. She smiled at Elle's challenged, and offered a little apologetic shrug and a smile in turn. It still needed to be asked.

Wraiths and Goa'ulds invading weddings? Some might read into that more than others. Annie leaned forward a little as Elle finished reciting her last few dreams, crossing her legs and folding her arms over them.

"Do these dreams ever wake you up?" she asked. Dreams of conversations were one thing, but if she was revisiting the actual incident over and over again, there were some unwelcome implications. "Is it just talking, or are you having any nightmares about what happened?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »

"Wake me up? Hell no." The last time Elle could remember any dream ever waking her up was when she was doing her HSC, she had this recurring dream that she was going to fail and be banished to hell for eternity. Now that was a nightmare to talk about to see Mr. Derbyshire with Satan's horns...very scary that. She remembered it well, even related it to Mike one time which only had the effect of the two of them bursting out in laughter with Mike telling her that he couldn't imagine anything in this universe scaring her. Well he was wrong about that wasn't he.

She thought more on it for a moment before answering, then when she was ready it came out in a flurry. "Most of it was talk. Discussions we never had or some we had planned to have. You see one of the wonderful things about Mike and I is that we can talk and talk a lot, something that seems to be lacking in couples today don't you think?" Elle thought so at least. Her own parents rarely talked to one another which was a far cry from how they used to be. "There was two events I guess you could say, the first on the night he disappeared I had this typical dream of falling. It was only the one time and in that as I was about to sink into a black abyss, Mike reached out and grabbed my arm. The second event was a week ago, only this time it was Mike who was falling, I reached for him but he was gone." That was the last time she thought he was lost forever, perhaps it was a sign that she needed to reach further somewhere and that was exactly what she was going to do.
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »

Well, at least that was a point against a diagnosis of Post Traumatic Stress. At least in Annie's case, if the same had happened to any of her family or loved ones, she had to wonder whether or not she'd be too afraid to sleep.

"Very well," she said encouragingly. It was a good sign. "And since you've come back? How are you finding things like memory, ability to keep appointments, or keeping to your regular routine?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 03:05:24 AM »

Elle could see there was a modicum of doubt in Annie's expression, it was expected but of course she would have seen other military personnel shut themselves off from the source of their mind state. A sort of 'don't think about it and it will go away' attitude. Elle had tried that, naturally it never worked. She was simply tough, maybe not made of steel like some men were, for she could be extremely emotional when the moment called for it; no, it was a toughness bred from seeing death and destruction knowing that you had to brave it out so you could help the living and live on yourself.

"Hmmm, good question Annie. This..." Both index fingers pointed to her 'attire'. "...is a part of my everyday routine I have been doing since the academy. The only time I have not gone for a run and done some weights have been in battle, or the first two weeks after Mike disappeared and the journey back home. Since returning, I think I could ace any mental test put to me. Just for the sake of it, I sat down two days ago, pulled up an engineering thesis I wrote ten years ago and re-wrote it, complete with six pages of the complex logarithms that went with it. I think my old Prof would be rather tickled with it."
Far Dareis Mai

Val

• Recruit
  • Val A new starter.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 03:00:48 AM »

For a moment there, Annie couldn't even tell whether or not Elle was serious. That was one hell of a work ethic if it wasn't sarcasm. Fidgety, perhaps? Most people weren't in the habit of redoing old work for the sake of entertainment. Either the lack of duties to attend to was getting to her, or she was using it as a cover.

"I think he would," she laughed, opting to go along with it. "And funny you mention mental tests, I have a few coming. Nothing intimidating; you'll see when we get to them. Only a few more questions to go."

Annie straightened up a little again, clearing her throat. "It's good to see you're still keeping up with your hobbies. What about your friends? You haven't found yourself withdrawing?"
Pages: [1] 2 3