Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ancient Mesopotamian Culture  (Read 208 times)

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.
  • I already lost one captain. I won't lose another
    • Inkitt.com
Ancient Mesopotamian Culture
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:10:09 PM »

Im curious. What's your take on Ancient Mesopotamia? My Goa'uld, Ea, is from there. She represents ancient Mesopotamia. Specifically, though, her host body is from the Assyrian period. Around 3500 BC I think. I researched a bit though and found out that Ea is actually Enki and they are the same person which is Male. So I'm thinking. The Goa'uld Ea was originally male. A young male symbiot but implanted into an Assyrian temple priestess named Aasyria. She was chosen for this honor because she was a leader of her people.

Im still trying to research some of that, but I'm just curious as to what good info out there you know of about that era. Might help me to narrow my research.
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Shadowlord

• Sin Bin
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.
Re: Ancient Mesopotamian Culture
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »

I am no good at mesa whatz it lol

I can do ancient egyptian hell I can do a bit of sumerian but Mesopotamian is not my thing.. from what I have seen though it is very... goatish
I like Enlil and stuff though

But idk what exactly your looking for?

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.DanielRyder is a force to reckon with.
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:31 PM »

I like feta cheese  :poke
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Character List

George4

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »

Tigris–Euphrates river system?

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »

Alright. Specifically? Im talking about the culture and religion of Ancient Mesopotamia. Something to get started on I guess lol.

Character List

Shadowlord

• Sin Bin
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.Shadowlord is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

How about you research the demons and try to turn them into something interesting and creative :)

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »

*shrugs* theres that. I guess I could list them all and make up some kind of story behind them. I mean, once I get the names that are accurate to the culture and maybe add a little twist to it.

Character List

Khnum

• Captain
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »

Mesopotamian culture is very interesting, it comes from everything we are today, its pantheons gave life to the God of Jews (and x evolution to that of Christians)

There are hundreds of Gods and Goddess from which to draw, myths and legends, mythical figures and monsters, there is the embarrassment of choice. :)

Altzek

• Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • Altzek Thumb turning green.Altzek Thumb turning green.
  • No
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »

Putting the dots on the i, the Judeo-Christian (and, to a certain extent, Islamic) God is not Mesopotamian but Canaanite and, to a certain extent, Egyptian.
Israelite YHWH was a storm god much like Edomite Qaus and urban Canaanite Ba'al, they may have all been the same thing in fact and they all had Asherah as their wife.
Also noteworthy is that the Hyksos (also of Canaanite origin) during their time in Egypt had Set as their patron, coincidentially also a desert god patron of storms and foreigners. I like to think that Set "migrated" to Canaan with the ancestors of the Israelites, Edomites (they were close cousins of Israelites. Esau was still Jacob's older brother, and the "schism" between the two was mended when the Maccabees conquered Edom in the 1st century and converted the locals. Later on Edomites are found supporting every Jewish independentist struggle) and certain urbanized Canaanites to become Ba'al/Qaus/YHWH.

That is not to say that Mesopotamia and Iran had no influence on Abrahamic religions, the myth of the flood can also be found in the Bible and monotheism is probably adopted during the Babylonian exile through the imitation of Zoroastrian and Ashurist henotheist cults spread among Iranians and Assyrians, but God in its original conception is Canaanite, not Mesopotamian.

Khnum

• Captain
  • Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.Khnum has an aura about them.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:51 PM »

Unfortunately, Mesopotamian culture has given rise to the Canaanite, the latter born in Caldea and migrating over the centuries and millennia in the Canaan area. the myth of deluge is present everywhere because of the exceptionality of the phenomenon and its world reach...

Altzek

• Staff Sergeant
  • No
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 02:17:06 PM »

I would speak in terms of influence but not exactly of one creating the other. It was a relation similar to the one between Sabellic and Roman mythology on one side and Greek mythology on the other, with the latter influencing the former.

Also, why "unfortunately"?

Khnum

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

But there is no influence ... it is the very basis from which everything was born :)

Altzek

• Staff Sergeant
  • No
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

Yep, I highly doubt it, considering the literature about it. There are also a lot of similarities with the pre-Islamic Arab religion due to the common Semitic root, but that doesn't mean that the Arabs had migrated to Mesopotamia or Canaan or both places (or, for that matter, that Canaanites or Mesopotamians had migrated to Arabia). Allah was the main Arab god even before Islam, and its name is a cognate of Hebrew/Canaanite "El" or "Elohim", from here we get "Ilah", which is "God" meant not as a name but as a noun, and then "Allah".

Also, Canaanite cities like Jericho and Ugarit and their cultures are about as ancient as Babylon, Akkad or Ur, if not older, which precludes the idea of a migration from Mesopotamia to the eastern shore of the Mediterranean.

Khnum

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »

But look at the archeology of the Ancient Near East says the opposite of what you say ... Jewish civilization was born from a rib of Sumerian / Chaldean, not the other way round.

Altzek

• Staff Sergeant
  • No
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »

The oldest Jewish artifacts are found in Israel, not in Iraq. Even linguistically Hebrew is a Canaanite language, closely related to Moabite, Edomite, Phoenician, Punic etc. Akkadian being a more distant relative and Aramaic being fairly close.
Pages: [1] 2