Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ace Combat: Infinite Horizons  (Read 491 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Ace Combat: Infinite Horizons
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:24:12 AM »

Genre: Sci-Fi/Military Thriller
People Required: 1 or more
Acronym: AC:IH

Premise: So. I'm a sucker for the Ace Combat series of games. It's all manner of air combat in a modern with sci-fi twist setting. However, the main setting is in a world that is completely different, and that would take too long to explain. Ace Combat Assault Horizon went to a normal world setting, but it kind of reads like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Ace Combat Infinity tried to find a middle ground by merging the events of the "Strangereal" world with our world. So, I figured what the hell, let's see what we can roll with in the Infinity setting, since that means I don't have to explain the "Strangereal" world. So, without further ado.

In 1986, the 1986VG1 Ulysses asteroid was discovered by astronomers in France in orbit of Jupiter. A rogue asteroid impacted Ulysses, causing fragments to enter into an elliptic orbit that would impact Earth. This news was confirmed and released by the scientific community in 1994. This news caused uproar and panic in the post-Cold War political landscape, but it also brought nations together, working towards a common goal. Since predicting all of the trajectories was impossible, the best option humanity had was to construct a means of limiting the damage. This was the Stonehenge railgun system, a network of hyper velocity guns intended to shoot down the asteroid pieces. The prototype was built in Northern China, and five more were built, in the United States, Australia, Turkey, Namibia, and Argentina.

Planetfall occurred in July of 1999, and only because of the Stonehenge guns did Earth avoid total destruction, but the damage was still considerable. Millions died, and the global economy was nearly totally ruined overnight. The damage was so severe that nations across the world defunded their armed forces to rebuild, to the point that revival budgets made up 58% of the global economy, while military budgets collectively made up somewhere around 3%.

The geo-political landscape was also changed, with many countries, mainly in Europe and Asia (as the hardest hit), undergoing changes just to survive. This included the formation of federations just to spread the costs out of surviving, as well as the creation of special zones. The widespread destruction also left these nations suffering from a shortage of resources. As a result, these countries practically disarmed just to free up what little they had to recovery. Smaller conflicts over resources, however, still erupted, causing a surge in refugee populations. These areas had to be broken into semi-autonomous zones, the largest was Iyuli in Russia, comprised of the Volgograd and northern Rostov Oblasts. These refugee zones were rife with poor living conditions and conflicts between the refugee and native populations of these zones.

Wernher and Noah Enterprises, a rising star in the defense contractor industries in the 90s, began to offer assistance to the refugee zones, due to their own economic success in hiring out mercenaries to nations that had mostly or completely disarmed. Thanks to Wernher and Noah, conflicts were already beginning to cool, but then a new advancement on their part further helped stabilize matters. Their Advanced Automation Aviation Plant was a technological wonder, able to produce aircraft, avionics, weapons from existing designs with minimal human intervention, and led to an influx of aircraft with no pilots. So to counteract that, Werhner and Noah offered to train new pilots and ground crews from the refugee populations, as well as pilots who were out of work with the downsizing in militaries.

Almost as fast, because of this, PMCs began to rise with Werhner and Noah's help, as did a dedicated United Nations force. With the influx of workers, Werhner and Noah began to branch further into aviation, leading them to energy and space development projects. Quietly, too, they were being contracted by several countries to develop new weapons. However, the stockpiles of weapons were also contributing to the rise of global terrorism on a new level, since they could now obtain much more advanced equipment relatively easily.

The year is now 2019. While the global economy is finally on the path to recovery, a number of terrorist movements, many of them refugees resentful of their treatment in refugee zones, have begun popping up all over the world.

You are a fighter pilot with Daemon-Knight Strategic Solutions, (often nicknamed Demon Knight) a Private Military Contractor that has been authorized by the United Nations Independent Commando Services (UNICS) to conduct operations at the behest of the United Nations.

Rules/Limitations:
  • Because of the limit on information, character bios don't need to be super detailed. Ace Combat is kind of notorious for having a wealth of information in some areas and in others lacking so badly that you maybe have a sentence for a Wiki page.
  • Since aircraft are important, and I'd like to try a sort of "progression" system, the GM will give you a set of options of available aircraft to you. It also breaks the story if everyone shows up in F-22s, T-50 PAK-FAs, and other 5th Generation models at the start.
  • I would highly prefer that players stick with flying fixed wing fighters, but if required, I can make allowances for bombers and helicopters. Bear in mind that if you go with helos, it will be attack helicopters, and in both cases, the progression field will be either limited or non-existent (since really, there hasn't been a new bomber design since the end of the Cold War, and attack helos are kind of limited too.)
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Thaddeus A new starter.
Re: Ace Combat: Infinite Horizons
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

Am I able to say that I'd be down for this?

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
  • Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.Cipherhornet18 might someday be a gardener.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »

Sure. Not too many other takers at the moment, but maybe that'll change?

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:31:06 AM »

Awesome :)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »

The only problem I'm faced with is that I'm not sure how quite to set things up as far as characters and progression goes. Still mulling that over. But I haven't given up yet.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »

Double post, so shoot me.

But good news, I finally found the progression tree from the game, which is what I needed to work out the progression system here.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »

Oh nice!

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »

Okay, so. Here's where I'm going to start things off in terms of available aircraft. This is based on the tech tree but I took liberties with the rotary wing and the bombers since helos are unplayable and the only bombers you can fly in AC:I is the B-1B Lancer and B-2A Spirit.

I'll sort out more details in a bit but that I think should give you an idea of where to expect to start. Again, this is the start, there is a progression system I want to try.

Fixed Wing:
F-4E Phantom II (Multirole)
F-5E Tiger II (Multirole)
F-1 "Rei-Sen" (Attacker)
J35J Draken (Fighter)

Rotary Wing:
AH-1G Huey Cobra
Mi-24A "Hind A"

Bomber:
B-52D Stratofortress
Tu-95M "Bear A"
Vulcan B.2

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 09:57:49 PM »

Oh awesome, looks great to me! Liking the helos and such  :yes:

Are players going to each have a character to start out with and progress with said character or are they allowed to have multiple?

If you need help with setting anything up, hit me up.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

Well. I'm kind of in a bind because I have an idea if it's just the two of us. If I get more people, could be problematic but I can work around it if I have to.

You'll have your character, you can have one for each type, and then I'll pad out a roster with three other fixed wing. I'm not sure yet how to work in the helos or bombers quite yet, though helos will likely come first, bombers don't fit into the story quite yet.

The NPCs will advance on a different setup since I'm using canon characters, more or less, and they tend to be known for one or two types of aircraft each. I'm going to skip requiring a detailed bio, since there are way too many holes in Ace Combat Infinity's story anyways. Just a rough idea will be sufficient for me.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »

Sounds good to me - I look forward to all of this ^^

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 04:25:13 AM »

No time like the present, I already have the first mission ready.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »

Sounds awesome :D

I better make a character for this then, huh.

What sort of character am I allowed to make - cause I'd probably end up making a Brit or something.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 09:33:40 AM »

You should have some ideas to work from in your PM box with the characters.