Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: PG8-K59 Alpha Site Lake District-The Flood  (Read 5039 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 232
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
PG8-K59 Alpha Site Lake District-The Flood
« on: May 05, 2015, 02:05:21 AM »

The large salt water lake that bordered both Foreston and the Alpha site was now some thirty percent larger than it had been three years ago, its size now attributed solely to the flood of late 2008. Previously a sandy spit that ran across the isthmus on the coast kept the lake in check much like a dutch dyke. But that changed during the flood when the bulk of the sand hills that formed the barrier had been swept away. The Lake's name changed to reflect this, being called now 'The Flood' and it was here that the Cavaleiros new modern fishing fleet was based. In the days when the old hands were here, there had been nine small islands on the lake, now there were only three and it was the largest of these three, the one furthest from the Eastern shore that Elle and Mike had set up for the night.

Being some twenty six miles long and eleven wide, it was a very substantial body of water for a coastal salt water lake and with that, especially the new breakwater built at the entrance, it had become a prime breeding ground for school fish. That was now one of the main attractions of the lake, as well as hiking its foreshores, camping at various sites, especially the three islands. For Elle and Mike, it had been simply a matter of making a few calls late into the afternoon the previous day, calls to people they had known from their earlier time on the Alpha site. Camping gear from one of the mining supervisors, fishing tackle from Jim Lucas and at the end, new clothes from the PX. Both Elle and Mike went for something rugged and that ended up being the more expensive outdoors clothes bearing the Helly Hansen label, including boots.

The last thing on their list after a rather long ninety minute hike from the base was to rent one of the refurbished twenty two foot wooden fishing skiffs. Now that the Cavaleiros had gone into larger Earth designed diesel craft, the old boats were rented cheaply and easily handled by two. Both Elle and Mike were skilled sailors as well, Mike as a long held hobby and Elle as a former Navy 'Bosuns Dinghy' sailing instructor, it took them no time to rig the single masted craft and head out to Obelosk island, the largest of the three. That small piece of land was around six hundred metres roughly circular in diameter, with a large hill in the centre and covered with pine and spruce like trees. On that hill, a well had been sunk so that fresh water was always on hand for campers. On this night they had the island to themselves.

The night before, they had eaten sparingly, as both were still feeling quite full from the large meal consumed at the base and despite the arduous walk, neither had the hunger to eat much before turning in. Elle making a small meal on a fire of toast from the bread they had brought with them and baked beans with a fried egg each. Those they had found from the native hen like birds that scurried through the woods.

As the sun rose, the first of the two suns, it shone a harsh red/yellow light through the tent flap, it was that alone that had woken Elle, the light filling her closed eyes. Sharing a double sleeping bag, Elle was still pressed up close to Mike, both of them wearing long thermal underwear; for despite the season, here at night the temperature dropped to single figures most of the time. Her long arm reached out for Mike's watch hanging on the tent center post, it showed 0701, time to get up, way passed time to rise. Elle tussled Mike's hair gently. "Morning handsome." She said softly smiling at him, even if her tummy rumbled.

Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
Re: PG8-K59 Alpha Site Lake District-The Flood
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »

With a moan-like groan, Mike squinted with his eyes against the brightness before pulling the top flap of the sleeping bag over his head, snuggled closer to Elle and mumbled, “Go back to sleep. I’s not mornin’ yet.”
He wrapped his left arm around her, let out a sigh of pleasure and started drifting off again with the intention of sleeping in.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »

"Not bloody likely my fine sea captain. I'm starving, I'm itchy from this damned thermal underwear and you know I can't sleep once old Sol has shown his ugly face." By the time she had said that, Elle was already wriggling out of his warm grasp, had the zipper undone and rolled to one side. She then promptly zipped the sleeping bag up again. "You can snooze for a bit longer Mike, I'm going to shower and see if I can catch some breakfast." The shower of course was very rudimentary, a canvas bag with a shower head under it, with which you filled it with water, cold water. It had a string hanging from it to open a valve and one fill was enough for a three minute shower. "Any objections?" Her face was hiding the humor in it all, she knew that Mike would simply either turn over, or grab a comfy position to watch her bathe, and fish as well. Elle also wanted to check on their boat, it'd be a lousy deal for them if it had come loose over night and went sailing off into the lake somewhere.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:33:14 PM »

Grabbing Elle’s pillow, Mike buried his nose in to it for a few seconds before he pulled in a breath as deep as he dared to catch her scent and replied, “Objections? Apart from the fact that you for some unfathomable reason wants an icy shower instead of staying in a warm bed with me? No, not really.”
He removed the pillow, reached out for his watch with a grimace and squinted at the numbers before dropping his arm across his eyes with a small groan, “7 am? You’re nuts. You’ve totally lost it,” then moved his arm to let it rest on his forehead and looked up at Elle.
“Pass me my back pack, will you? I need some Tylenol before I get up… Somehow stiff as a board doesn’t quite cover it,” and by that he slowly started to ease himself up on his right elbow and reached out for a nearby water bottle.
It was expected to feel sore and stiff after the treatment the zombie had given him yesterday, but still, a wooden board must have more yield in it than he had at this point, Mike thought. Maybe hiking up here with a minor concussion and bruised body wasn’t such a great idea in hindsight, but he was away from the base and that was all that mattered for now.
He’d discussed the matter with Anne as well as Jim before they took off and even if Anne wasn’t too happy about the arrangement, she’d finally settled with him not being alone and promises of having regular radio checks with Jim.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:06:48 AM »

With her quirky grin and a wink Elle said with a rather flat monotone, that almost nasally Aussie accent. "You know very well that Australian women are a sandwich short of a picnic on their best day Mike." She chuckled lightly but not without concern when she grabbed his pack. Lucky for Mike that Elle was more than capable of carrying most of what they needed, including the tent and most of everything else...other than the fishing tackle. He didn't trust her with Jim's stuff. "Remember when I told you about my time on the Kanimbla?" She opened the pack, kneeling next to him. "We did two runs to Casey Station in the Antarctic, Mike, that was cold and I'll never forget it, seared into my brain forever." For a moment Elle looked sad, they lost two good young crew on what was a peaceful sea voyage.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:41:21 AM »

Mike finally managed to sit up, the sleeping bag still wrapped around him, found the pills he needed and downed them with some water.
He rubbed his eyes with his palms and nodded, “Yeah, I remember you told me that. Some ordeal you guys went through down there… ” To him cold was never that dramatic... or "exotic" - it was more a reminder of the frequently unpaid bills to the electrical company he’d experience as a kid. The morning shower turning in to a minute of torture rather than anything else.
“Look,” Mike gave Elle a smile and a rub on her thigh, “You go and have that shower of yours and I’ll see if I can get the fire started again to at least get some hot tea in you when you’re back, ok? Unless you prefer something stronger? I know I’m going to need at least a gallon of coffee if I’m going to even be remotely awake.”

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:57:51 PM by Northern girl »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 05:59:17 PM »

Elle put her arms around Mike and kissed him lightly on the cheek (her lips were a little sore from the cold), she felt sorry for him and prayed she hadn't done the wrong thing dragging him out here. But there was one thing she had learned in her twenty year career and that is when the horse throws you off, you slap him silly and get back on again; Jack O'Neill told her as much three days after her bail out during the battle with the LA. "Its a distant memory now Mike. I got over that years ago, but yes it was hell if that place ever froze over.....coffee, we've got a tin of that dark African stuff and some condensed milk. That'll set us both up. I think to a nice thick porridge will get us going for the day, I''ll make that when I'm done" She pulled the sleeping bag tight around him, kissed him again on the forehead before picking up a towel and her clothes.

Slipping out the flap of the tent, Elle surveyed their surroundings and was utterly pleased with what she saw, she ducked her head back in grinning. "Boat is still there and the fire is still smoking. I'll be no more than ten minutes, at best guess I think its about fifteen degrees, that shower is going to be rather quick." She winked at him, then ducked out once more. 
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »

Mike couldn’t help but to shiver slightly at the thought of the temps outside he’d have to face when leaving the warm and very comfortable sleeping bag.
“Small joy of the day,” he muttered when Elle took off, “Yey! I don’t have to swim ashore due to me forgetting how to tie the boat properly.”
He remained sitting for another minute or so before he’d mustered up enough courage to quickly pull the pile of clothes closer and as fast as he could, he pulled on an orange fleece hoodie, a pair of sweat pants and as he crawled out to sit on the tent floor with his feet outside, he pulled on a pair of sneakers.
Grabbing a windbreaker jacket, he jostled a bit with it to put it on as he walked over to the campfire, but as he crouched by it, the jacket was in place and he started to stir in the ashes in an attempt pull out some smoldering coal and wood from the night before.
Some wooden chips on it, a little bit of careful blowing and within a minute, Mike could start putting more firewood on the small flames, a little bit at a time.
“Ha!” he silently exclaimed to himself with a grin, “Not bad for a doc with no official survival training… like a certain commander has!” another few sticks and he felt he could leave the fire for a few minutes to rummage around their food supply for the coffee.
When Elle returned, the coffee pot was on the fire and only a minute from being ready and the cups waiting on the ground in front Mike sitting on one of the tree logs forming a square around the fire.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 03:13:38 AM »

While the shower in the upturned canvas bucket was cold, in many ways it was almost as good as a strong coffee, it blew away the cobwebs to great effect for Elle, but she also made up her mind that there was no way Mike was going through that. After breakfast she'd boil up at least two pots of water to add to the shower bucket so he could at least have it warm. She came back to him dressed in simple olive green cargo pants, her hiking shoes, a tee shirt (also green) and a warm woolen pullover. By at least ten AM, that last would come off.

"Hey." She said, giving him a little embrace as she knelt beside him. "I did hear that you know. I think its a little of an unfair advantage I have, since most of my earlier training centred around just surviving. Does come in handy for this sort of thing." She let the coffee cool before testing it, sweet and strong. "So, other than a decent breakfast of porridge, do you think a day fishing would be in order?"
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »

Blowing on the hot coffee for a while, Mike finally started sipping it, careful not to burn. ‘Yeah, definitely the kick start I need!’
He nodded at Elle, “Yes, I’m looking forward to see if Jim’s super-duper-carbon-fiber-extra-something really is as good as he says.” then slipped a small chuckle, “It’s beyond me that he actually let me lend it. If it were me I’d never let it out of my sight!”
He pulled in deep breath and looked up towards where the lake met the sky somewhere in a distance, frowned a little at the clouds, but a split second later decided to push that thought away, “So much better than the filtered air on the Dread. One never really understands how much one miss clean air until it’s actually there.” Mike looked back at Elle, studying her profile for a few seconds, pulled back a damp, stray strand of hair and placed it behind her ear, “Wish we could stay out here for more than a few short days… Just forget about duties and what’s going on out there.”
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 01:09:45 PM by Northern girl »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:44:36 AM »

There were times that you just had to hold the moment and treasure it for what it was; Elle did that right then as Mike brushed away those unruly strands of hers by holding his hand tightly, pressing it against her cheek for just a moment. That was more than gold to her. "A moment of madness perhaps Mike, that or he knew we'd be very protective of his stuff, or that if he didn't lend them to us, I'd have him shipped to the most remote desolate place I could think of. Any of those or all, take your pick." Of course it could merely have been his generous nature as well. "You know, you do have the most amazing hands for a man. They're not soft, but not rough either, just decent workers hands, you could have done anything with those, anything creative I mean." She let the hand go reluctantly, Elle was beginning to cramp squatted the way she was.

"That's the plan at least, if we run out of the food we brought we can forage, I have that book the miner lent us on all the edible flora around here and there are farms all along the lakes edge Mike....and fishing.  But for now, we can eat and you know as I've said a million times, I'm a lousy cook, but there are three things I can make well. Porridge, Scrambled eggs and fired rice." She knew she had everything except real milk, powered milk would have to do and instead of good old brown sugar, they had maple syrup; which wasn't bad. Honey would be better though. They did have white sugar, but Elle thought that sacrilege in Porridge. "So you game?" 
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 01:29:49 AM »

Mike looked down at his hands, turned his free one a couple of times with a slightly embarrassed, but also amused smile, “As long as it doesn’t involve pen and paper. I’m terrible at drawing… but yeah, I like working with my hands and they usually do what I want them to do.”

He nodded, “I’m all game. Porridge it is then. I’ll go and fetch us some more drinking water from the well while you do it.”
With a small grunt managed to get his legs in under him and got up, his coffee mug still in his hand, bent over and gave Elle a kiss on the top of her head, “Back in a few,” before grabbing the almost empty water bag by the fire and slowly headed off more up hill of the island.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »

"Be careful and watch your step and yell if you need help." Elle told him, touching her forehead where the kiss had landed, now if only she could pretend she was a fifteen year old and swear an oath never to wash that part of her face again.

Once her eyes lost sight of him, Elle set to work, there was just enough water left over for her to at least make a start on the milk, she'd need more though soon but she could wait. She went through the various packets, typical military foil things as it were until she found the oats. With the top torn off, she emptied that into the pot then set it aside; after that she grabbed another smaller cook pot, measured out some powdered milk with her hand and the water went in, then she began to stir. It had to be as smooth as possible and completely lump free. The last thing she did, was to add a small dash of salt to the oats.

Somehow, as Elle sat by the fire stirring the milk mix into the oats, her thoughts were telling her that she wished the two of them could live like this for the rest of their days. Not a fanciful dream, something she felt they could do very well with. She hoped he wouldn't be long, otherwise the porridge would end up as thick as bakers dough; when that thought crossed her mind, she could feel a wet wind touch her face from the west...she paid no mind to it.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:32 PM »

Ten minutes later, Mike was back in the clearing where they’d put up their tent and dropped the full water bag to the ground next to him.
“Hope it tastes as good as it smells.” His face was a bit concerned though as he resumed his position on the log and pour himself yet another cup of the African blend, “I think there’s a storm coming up from the west. If you still want to go fishing from the boat, we’d better leave as soon as we can, or…”
Mike tilted his head and gave Elle a mischievous grin, “…I guess we could take cover in the tent…?”[/color
He was pretty sure Elle wouldn't take the bait, they needed dinner. MRE's where in his opinion definitely only for emergencies and nothing else... No matter what everybody else said.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 12:24:29 AM »

"You're slipping woman." Elle told herself, like how in the hell did she miss that? Too busy playing the good little housewife to Mike, that's how. The moment the words were out of his mouth, her head whipped around facing the west and she saw the dark green mass building way out over the horizon. "Ugly." She said aloud, then followed up with one of her more select phrases. "That is one son of a B*** storm, Mike, we know this region well enough, hopefully the sand hills and coastal forests will soften the impact as it surfs this area, but I wouldn't hold my breath to much on that out here on the lake. So in answer to your question, we'd be better off in the boat then the tent. So we catch something to eat, then take ourselves further south, its more protected there." While she spoke, Elle took the water and added a little more to the porridge, Mike was right it did smell divine.

She took the pot off the coals, added a little more milk after scooping out all of the oats into the two plastic bowls they had, then drizzled a little maple syrup on both, handing a spoon and bowl to Mike. "Its hot, a bit like you." She said cheekily, her eyes though never left that storm. They could think about the tent later; as that thought occurred to her, she did at last look him directly, her eyes said everything.
Far Dareis Mai
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7