Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Things that p*ss me off  (Read 3141 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Re: Things that p*ss me off
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »

A case of spending more than its worth?

Sci

• Chief Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • Sci Thumb turning green.Sci Thumb turning green.
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »

Very much so. But it's the one with the winter snow tires thus I won't drive the van. (tires from car won't fit van) And my brother-in-law has not gotten my other car road-worthy yet. The snow tires will bolt right on it.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!Ellen_Ripley is awe-inspiring!
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »

My green 2000 Cirrus. I just spent over $650 on brakes, then it needed a wheel bearing and tie rod ends. So, of course it needed an alignment after the tie rods. I just took it in today for that and now they want another $300 to fix some toe link in the rear. They will have to realign it after they fix it. And of course, no one (other than Ford) calls it a toe link so I can't find the part myself to have my husband do the job. I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend $135 to have the Ford dealer do the labor - and get the part - and realign it.

That car is getting pretty rough underneath that I'm ready to junk it in favor of the rust-free one - if I can get that one road-worthy. But I have so much money stuck in the green one I can't afford to junk it now!!   :frak

Sometimes Cheryl we need to just bite the bullet and accept the fate dealt to us. You remember this we bought in 2009?

It was only four years old, a BMW for heaven's sake. It was perhaps the worst car investment we ever made in our entire life. Just months after buying it, the aircon broke down in the middle of summer, to fix it and I might add only at a certified BMW repairer, was going to be around $1100 as the previous owner didn't take out the five year warranty option, we were without recourse. My husband basically told the fellow at the service centre he was a joke; we drove towards home finding a European car wreckers with us ending up buying a compressor and the associated hoses from a 2008 model. But even that was $600. Later when we took it to a local BMW dealer for a service, we were told it was going to be $900 (80,000 km service), again we simply couldn't afford it, taking the decision to trade it in. Luckily we did make that decision because one of the mag wheels had a fine crack in it, which Ray simply sanded over until the deal was done. There were other issues as well, all in just eight months of owning the car which given that makers reputation, it should have been trouble free for years.

This we bought new in 2010, it was the best car investment we ever made. 120,000 km later and we've never had a moments trouble with it. Service? $400 generally.

Sci

• Chief Master Sergeant
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »

Talked to hubby who talked to his brother who is a mechanic and I guess the thing really doesn't need the rear aligned. I can't take the car off the road this winter because it has the snow tires on it. I can't drive the van without decent winter tires and it's cheaper to fix the red car than buy tires for the van. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know how prevalent BMWs are down there but I wouldn't buy a limited selling make again. We had a Cadillac years ago and that was a pain to fix. Could only go to the dealer and the parts were expensive - kind of like owning a diesel truck.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 178
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2018, 01:06:14 AM »

Talked to hubby who talked to his brother who is a mechanic and I guess the thing really doesn't need the rear aligned. I can't take the car off the road this winter because it has the snow tires on it. I can't drive the van without decent winter tires and it's cheaper to fix the red car than buy tires for the van. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I don't know how prevalent BMWs are down there but I wouldn't buy a limited selling make again. We had a Cadillac years ago and that was a pain to fix. Could only go to the dealer and the parts were expensive - kind of like owning a diesel truck.

every second guy from the Middle east drives one  :lol and since both GM and Ford have now closed in Australia, people who still want rear drivers are buying BMW and Mercs more and more. Even the shitty Chrysler 300 is popular here. Charlie bought one of the last Holden utes just before Christmas.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Khnum

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 68
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2018, 01:51:38 AM »

Thanking the Gods ... both the machines that we use at my house, enjoy in spite of everything, of good health .... we have imposed the blockade of circulation because of the air pollution, block disregarded en masse by us motorists due of the impossibility to do our work using public transport. :yes:

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.Cipherhornet18 has a powerful will.
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:47 AM »

Oh god, don't get me started on the Chrysler 300...oh look at me with my oversized rap star car, yeah it's got a Hemi, too bad the car's so friggin' heavy it negates literally any power it could possibly generate. I hate those things.

But that is outright depressing that GM and Ford are gone from there. I love the Australia only models, like the Falcon and the Maloo. The closest we got to those was when GM rebranded the GTO from like 08-10 or something like that, and it was basically either an HSV or Holden, I forgot which. I still would love one of those. Someone in Fallon was driving around in a shiny blue Maloo ute, and by god I wanted to take it from them lol. For me, the ute is a call back to the 70s El Caminos and Rancheros, and my dad and his friends made those two cars pretty BA. And I would love to see those make a comeback. Maybe after they bring the Bronco back, Ford can bring back the Ranchero.

As it stands, I have an '05 Focus that is not bad, but it is so noisy at highway speeds and while I worked at my last job, an oil change shop, I learned that's pretty normal. Had something to do with that was the year that Ford handed over making components, including the engine, for the Focus and others to Mazda after acquiring them. Not bad for city driving, but my commute is on a mountain pass highway and for that, the Focus is outright gutless. So my dad is offering to buy it off me and I'm going to use that and my tax return to try and buy something better. There's a dealership out here that I'm looking at and they do Mitsubishis, so I'm going to see about getting into a Lancer, since a Mitsubishi Lancer or Subaru Impreza would be nice. Something AWD with some oomph behind the wheel.

But my dad bought a Blazer S10 from someone, and he's sunk more money than he paid for it, and he talked the guy down, all because he had no idea of all the troubles it had. But he wanted a V8 Blazer, someone had a Blazer with a 350 in it, so he got it and suffered for it. Lesson there; don't buy cars off Craigslist.

Khnum

• Major
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2018, 08:13:30 AM »

My green 2000 Cirrus. I just spent over $650 on brakes, then it needed a wheel bearing and tie rod ends. So, of course it needed an alignment after the tie rods. I just took it in today for that and now they want another $300 to fix some toe link in the rear. They will have to realign it after they fix it. And of course, no one (other than Ford) calls it a toe link so I can't find the part myself to have my husband do the job. I'm afraid I'm going to have to spend $135 to have the Ford dealer do the labor - and get the part - and realign it.

That car is getting pretty rough underneath that I'm ready to junk it in favor of the rust-free one - if I can get that one road-worthy. But I have so much money stuck in the green one I can't afford to junk it now!!   :frak

Sometimes Cheryl we need to just bite the bullet and accept the fate dealt to us. You remember this we bought in 2009?

It was only four years old, a BMW for heaven's sake. It was perhaps the worst car investment we ever made in our entire life. Just months after buying it, the aircon broke down in the middle of summer, to fix it and I might add only at a certified BMW repairer, was going to be around $1100 as the previous owner didn't take out the five year warranty option, we were without recourse. My husband basically told the fellow at the service centre he was a joke; we drove towards home finding a European car wreckers with us ending up buying a compressor and the associated hoses from a 2008 model. But even that was $600. Later when we took it to a local BMW dealer for a service, we were told it was going to be $900 (80,000 km service), again we simply couldn't afford it, taking the decision to trade it in. Luckily we did make that decision because one of the mag wheels had a fine crack in it, which Ray simply sanded over until the deal was done. There were other issues as well, all in just eight months of owning the car which given that makers reputation, it should have been trouble free for years.

This we bought new in 2010, it was the best car investment we ever made. 120,000 km later and we've never had a moments trouble with it. Service? $400 generally.

but the car in question ... was it new or already used previously?

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

I will say that having worked at an oil change shop in a rural town, I've seen Toyotas of various condition come in and outside of those that were so horribly neglected that any other car would have thrown a piston rod by the time I saw it, every one of them otherwise turned over like they were new. I have a newfound respect for those cars and pickups, so it's not surprising that where the BMW failed, the Toyota has done so well for you.

Sci

• Chief Master Sergeant
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:12 PM »

Oh, and NOW the cruise control went out on my way to town this morning!!!   :fp   Brother-in-law thinks maybe cracked vacuum line or servo went out. Either way - it's another thing that needs attention. I kind of whined about wanting my red car to drive. Maybe he will get the hint!! :Poke

Sci

• Chief Master Sergeant
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2018, 08:49:23 AM »

Hubby looked at the car last night - I guess the cruise would have worked had the mechanic who did the master cylinder actually PLUGGED THE THING BACK IN!!!!!!   :argh!  Seems to be working now that it's plugged in!! 

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2018, 10:33:57 AM »

Do not say it too loud ... it could break again !!!! :argh!

Sci

• Chief Master Sergeant
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »

Only if I take it back to the same mechanic!!

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2018, 03:05:31 AM »

Only if I take it back to the same mechanic!!

We are really good ... we can not even trust our mechanics anymore ... :fp :fp
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

lethal-pageant