Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Tamora~ The forgotten world.  (Read 8004 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 252
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Tamora~ The forgotten world.
« on: February 21, 2017, 01:13:19 AM »

This small isolated planet is located in an equally small system out on the edges of the Galaxy. It is home to what the Wraith half breed Rhiase believes to be the remnant of the human stock from which she was partially created over 500 years ago. An agrarian culture, their life style is simple, rural, with a village elder in the form of the Matriarch leading them. The population is small, but their lifespans are long, the average elder passes away at around two hundred years or so. There are four main villages, possibly resembling something you would find on Earth around the late iron age.

They are protected from Wraith and other predatory species by Rhiase herself, but they have never seen her, simply referring to her as the Night Goddess. She will come, ensure they are safe and leave again as quickly.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
Re: Tamora~ The forgotten world.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »

*Day 1*

He woke up with a startle due to someone looming over him, shaking his shoulder. He rolled over to lie on his back and blinked a few times, having no idea of where he was or what he was doing in a bed…
“Nice to see that you’re alive man! I was starting to doubt you’d be awake for first meal. Now come on. We need to hurry; the best pieces are the ones that goes first.”
The young man standing next to the bed, shaking him awake in anything but a subtle manor, appeared to be in his late teens, maybe, just maybe, in his early twenties.
He pulled off the oh so warm blanket and swung his feet over the edge of the bed and sat, rubbing his eyes with his palms in an attempt to clear off the cobwebs.
“What the heck just happened?”
“Come on!” The young man made a motion with his arm, indicating for him to get up and move out of the door.
With a grunt, he got up on legs that weren’t really cooperating, but with a steadying hand on the pole that supported the upper bed, he managed to stay upright and after a few more seconds he could let go of the support and slowly follow the other man through the door and out in the rising sun.
“So, what’s your name?”
He stopped in the doorway, at the top of the stairs that lead down to the open area in front of the house, feeling insecure at first, not having a clue of what to reply. Then, from the depth, from somewhere on the other side of that gray and very heavy blanket that was wrapped his mind, he said in a low voice, “Mike. My name is Mike.”
“Good to meet you Mike. I’m Yorvis” replied the young man. “Now hurry up! We’re late.”

First meal consisted of something that Mike decided was a stew of various vegetables and a thick piece of bread.
Yorvis guided him towards one of the tables and as they passed through the smoky and poorly lit room, Mike could more feel, then see the eyes of others in the room following his every move.
The smell of food had made his stomach growl and now as he sat down by the table and started eating, he realized how famished he really was and began to shoving it in.
“Yorvis?”
A tall, skinny man stopped next to their table.
“Yes?”
“You’ll be the one introducing him,” Skinny nodded towards Mike, “in how to work with the drafts on the fields. Mother said Karim found him wandering aimlessly in the field near the edge of the forest last night and with no recollection who or what he is, she doesn’t have very high hopes on him managing anything else than that.”
He snorted as he gave Mike another look, tip to toe and the look was almost verging towards disgust, “He’s probably a miner that’s hit his head one time to many, either in a mine or in a brawl, but this close to the winter, we can’t send him back over the mountains, memory loss or not, so as long as he’s here, he’ll be one more hand to help us out with getting the job done on the fields. Hopefully he’ll even make it through the winter to help with the spring plowing as well.”

Yorvis raised a brow and gave Mike a long thoughtful look, “Can’t remember anything? There isn’t much more to know about mining than digging and keep ones head down?”
Mike looked between the two, shrugged and lowered his gaze; what was he supposed to say? He didn’t know squat about anything at all… least of all anything about mining and drafts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 11:40:47 AM by NG »

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »

* Day 1 Evening *

Mike pulled off his shirt, dropped it next to the bucket of lukewarm water and started washing up. The torn blisters he’d gotten in his hands when mocking out the stalls in the morning had worsen when pulling weed on the fields during the rest of the day and now they burned as they touched the water and with a grimace, he started cleaning them. His shoulders were probably just as sore and achy as they could get after a days work, and even though he didn’t have a past to recollect, he doubted that he’d ever been this tired.
He did his best to ignore the pain and finished up washing the rest of his body too.
“Mike!” A towel came flying through the air, more or less landing in his face. Yorvis grinned widely as he approached him, “Thought you might wanted…”
The young man stopped dead in his tracks, staring on Mikes bare upper body, “Wooo… and I thought Mother wasn’t serious…”
Mike frowned, “What?”
“That mark, on you neck. Legend says that only the ones that have met the Night Goddess have it. You don’t happen to remember what she looks like, do you?”
He tried to look down and sideward, as Yorvis spoke, it was a futile attempt to try and inspect your own neck. What had he been through, really? Even if he’d hit his head hard, shouldn’t he remember getting a scar like that?
Shaking his head, Mike started to dry himself on the towel and put on a clean shirt. “No, sorry, I don’t.”
The young boy nodded, disappointment evident, “Thought so, never hurt to ask though. Come, it’s time to eat.”

The late supper was handed out in the same house as first meal. Like the ones handed out at mid day’s break, the rations were small, not really enough to put the hunger at ease, but as far as Mike could see, it was shared in a roughly equal manor and no one fuzzed about it.
He stirred in the stew of roots, herbs and a few pieces of meat with the spoon, even though hungry, he still felt a bit apprehensive about eating it.
“If you’re not going to eat that, I can take care of your plate too?” Yorvis whispered across the table.
Mike looked at the now half empty plate in front of the youngster, then slipped a hint of a grin, “Not very likely,” and dug in to the meal, surprised at the richness of its flavors despite of its very dull, grayish look.
They ate in silence for a while, or at least Mike tried, but handling a spoon with his sore hands was easier said than done.
“Umm…” Yorvis made a motion with his chin and looked at Mike’s hands, “Maybe you should let Marill have a look at that? She’s a very good healer. If those hands get infected, you won’t be able to contribute… She’s sitting over there, by the fireplace.”
Mike turned to see who Yorvis meant and when he saw the older woman with the long, raven black hair he felt a jolt of pain in his head and a feeling of icy water down his back, but the feeling was gone before he could react and identify why he felt like he did.
“Is she good at what she does?” he asked.
The young man grinned and nodded, “She’s the best healer there is. Our Mother’s younger sister. She has seen almost 100 winters and whenever the trails through the mountains are open, people from the villages on the other side come and ask her for advice. I know she’ll help you.”
With a sigh, Mike finished up the last of the meal. His hands hurt and he didn’t look forward to handling the reins of a draft tomorrow as he felt right now. It couldn’t hurt to at least ask, now could it?
With a final despondent look on Yorvis, he got up from the bench and moved over to the old woman, stopped at what he felt was a safe distance from her and waited for her to notice him.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:48 PM »

Being classed as an Elder when you had only lived barely passed your hundredth winter was something of a rarity among the 'people'. That privilege was afforded to her simply because of the ability she possessed, something that many believe was handed down from each generation for a daughter to inherit. With her family there were two, while her sister Fala missed out on the 'talent', Marill certainly did not. It was said she was the strongest healer that they had seen since Illith, their maternal ancestor of well over five hundred years ago. Older, was a turn of phrase for them, yes she was, but then the lines of age rarely showed until well into their one hundred and fiftieth year.

"Please sit Mykael." She said pronouncing his name as it sounded in her ears. "I've heard strange things of you, that by some miracle you were left to us by our Goddess. Do you think this is so?" Perhaps she was more than different Marill was one of those skeptical types, being completely unsure whether to believe or not. She wasn't blind though as she looked at the condition he was in, obviously he was not used to the work the men do in their world. "You have injuries yes? May I see them?"
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »

Mike slowly sat down on the bench, opposite the woman, “I really don’t know,” and pointed with his index finger towards his temple, “Everything is just a grey cloud in here.”
He looked down at his chafed and blistered hands where they rested in his lap, then very apprehensively, put them on the table in front of him, in full display for Marill, studying her as he spoke. That uneasy feeling he had when first setting eyes on her, for some reason just didn’t want to go away and he had a lump in the stomach.
“Yorvis said you could help me with these… I’m not sure I know how I’ll be able to handle the reins tomorrow morning with hands that looks like this?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »

"Not unusual Mykael, many years ago she left another with us for some time. He to had no memory of the event. We only knew it was by her because strangely she was seen by a curious child. Normally we would dismiss it as mere fantasy, but that child was not known for telling tales, we believed emphatically because everything she said matched to what we know of her." As she spoke, Marill examined his hands more closely, sucking in her breath as she did so.

"These are not the hands of a worker. I believe your skills and talents lay elsewhere, yet you have no recollection of your near past do you?" Marill twisted around slightly with her hand digging deep into a leather bag she had slung around her shoulder, from it she retrieved a roll of what could only be described as a black coloured bandage. She began wrapping his hands. "Within this cloth is a special poultice made from herbs we find growing in the wild. In the morning at first light, you can remove them and you will see your hands healed. Some say its magic, to me it is a simple matter of using what the creator gave us. Would you not agree?"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:53:29 PM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

Mike’s brows furrowed at the mention of that other man. What did she mean? Had he been picked up again by that Godess? He slipped an involuntary shudder at that thought. For some reason he hoped that would never happen. That she would never came back, because no matter what life he’d had previous to coming here, it couldn’t have been any good. Why else would he be here with no memory at all?
He shook his head as Merill examined his hands, following her every move, “No, none what so ever. It’s like…” he hesitated for a second, “…like a wet, heavy blanket covering it all. To heavy to lift up and look behind.”

The bandages felt cool and soothed the burning, stinging sensation that had been growing over the day and Mike offered her a hint of a smile, “You’re the expert when it comes to things like this, so if you say so, who am I to argue?”
He stretched his fingers and hands a little, to try the mobility of his hands now that they were wrapped, “Getting in to bed will be interesting…”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Finishing off the wrapping, another something came out of her bag, a small glass vial. Marill reached for a water bag on her hip, then a small silver cup again from the bag. She emptied the contents of the vial into the cup, adding a little water, enough to half fill it. "This may not return your memories, but it will ease the passing of that anguish that comes when we feel something is lost. We call it, Aasaiberry. You see them everywhere in the fields after rain, small yellow fruit on those prickly plants that have a penchant for sticking to our clothes." She often found in the most dire moments, a little humor went far, this was one of those singular moments she knew he was going through.

Touching his forehead before she felt time to leave, she added one more little wisdom for him. "In time, a little here and there will creep into your head, do not fear it, embrace it. I cannot promise you will recall much at all, yet those small scraps that do come to you are precious, hold on to them." A raised eyebrow at his last statement brought out the mirth she was well renown for. "Do you desire me to tuck you in?"
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »

Mike could only nod. If the memory started to come back and he was able to cope with them, then yes, he would most certainly grasp and hold on to them.
He accepted the vial in a slightly clumsy manor due to the bandages, but returned the smile nonetheless. “Somehow, memory loss or not, I’m rather confident I’ve managed to tuck myself in for quite some time. And I will do so tonight too. Thank you Ma’am.”
With a slight bow, he got up and walked back to Yorvis who’d been watching it all from a distance.
Mike held up his wrapped hands and whispered, “She said they’d be fine tomorrow. I have some serious doubts about that though.”
Yorvis gave him an amused smile, “You need to have a some faith Mike.”
Mike heaved a deep sigh, “I’m afraid I’m beyond that. Anyhow, I’d better head off to bed, feels like I’m dead on my feet. See you in the morning.”
The young man nodded, “Yes, I’ll see you at first light. We’ve got a draft to get ready before we first meal, so I hope you’ll be able to roll out of bed earlier than today.”
“I’ll do my best,” Mike retorted, then added quietly to himself, “no promises though,” and by that he headed off to the bunk house where all the men that didn’t have a family slept.
Within a few minutes he’d changed and almost as soon as his head hit the pillow, he was asleep, more or less unconscious.

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:57:22 PM »

*Day 2*

“Yeah, yeah, I think I get it. It’s not exactly rocket science you know.” Mike said as he watched Yorvis adjust another strap of the draft’s harness.
The young man straightened up and gave Mike curious look. “Rocket Science? What’s that?”
"Don’t know." Mike frowned, where ever had he heard that expression? “It just popped up in my head as something that isn’t very difficult to do. Something easy. Applies pretty much to me I guess. Not knowing much about anything around here.”
Yorvis looked at Mike for a second, then shook his head, “You got this quicker than most people I know. I wish you remembered more about your life….
Mike stroked the drafts short and rough fur, “Well, that makes two of us…” He poked on the gray blanket in his mind, but nothing happened, so he once again let it go, pulled in a deep breath; forcing himself to sober up.
He attached the reins to the rings of the headpiece, followed the straps of it around the head to make sure there were no pressure points that would do any harm, then looked back at Yorvis, “I guess that’s it. Off to the fields then?”
The other man nodded, “Yes, and would you at least try and make straight lines today unlike the ones you attempted yesterday? I know she can pull straight if she’s only allowed to …”
Mike held up his hands, only having a few pink spots where the blisters had been last night. “They’re so much better today. My last attempt shouldn’t even count. I didn’t get a fair a chance.”
“Here” Yorvis handed him a small, meaty purple fruit, “At least you can try bribing her. That might do the trick.”
Accepting the fruit, he squeezed its rubbery exterior to get a feel for what it was, but the draft quickly put her short and very agile trunk on his arm, pushing it downwards and started nibble on his hand in an attempt to get it.
“I think you better give it to her… or you might have to go see Merill again – having two less fingers.”
Mike raised a brow, “You serious?” and quickly let go of the fruit, letting it fall to the ground for the draft to gulp down without even chewing it.
“Oh yes, absolutely!” The spark in the young man’s eyes gave him away though.
Mike rubbed the forehead of the draft, “He’s not very serious, is he?”
He got a soft lick of his palm in return, leaving a very purple stain across it and Mike looked at it with a slight disgust in his face before wiping it off in the wet grass.
Yorvis let out a chuckle, “It's a sign of approval, ok? Now come on, we’ve got a lot to do today…”
Mike let out a soft kissing sound like the one he'd heard Yorvis and the others use the day before to get the drafts moving, and as the other man had said, the draft knew what it was all about and willingly followed them towards the fields as the sun's first beams came over the ridges of the mountains.

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 06:07:40 PM »

*Day 4*

Evening

Grabbing his plate with vegetables, some meat and a large piece of bread, Mike sat down by the fire to try and get a bit warmer. The rain had poured down most of the day, so when he and the draft had returned at sunset they had both been more or less drenched and frozen to their bones.
It had taken him a long time to get the draft dry enough for Yorvis liking – prioritizing the well-being of the drafts, while understandable since the fields couldn’t be managed without them –was a real pain when you had frozen your butt off for hours and your hands didn’t really want to fully cooperate.
Still, the feeling of leaving a dry and very content animal with its ‘dinner’ left him with a good, warm feeling inside as he left the barn where it spent the night with its kin.

He ate in silence, only listening with half an ear on the conversation going on around him. A laugh here, a hum of agreement there. Someone coughing. The sound of voices more or less mixing in with each other in a sort of tidal wave rocking back and forth across the large room.
Another cough… and a wheezing sound… then another attempt of a smaller cough… Mike frowned and tore his gaze from the fire in front of him and looked towards where the sound came from.
The young teenager feel towards the floor, someone screamed and the entire room all of a sudden fell silent.
Something clicked in Mike’s head and without really thinking, he dropped his plate where he sat and rushed across the open area and grabbed the girl around her upper abdomen from behind, interlocking his hands with each other and pressed hard and quickly in an upwards motion one time.
Nothing happened.
One more time and something came flying out of her mouth.
Easing her down on the floor, he realized she wasn’t breathing so he knelt next to her and tilted her head back, pinched her nose, covered her mouth with his and blew a breath in to her. Watched her chest lift and fall, then repeated it again.
Then nothing.
He placed two fingers on her neck and felt a familiar? thump.
‘One more time’ said a small voice in the back of his mind.
Another two breaths and now he was rewarded by a coughing fit by the young woman. He rolled her over to rest on her side, waiting for her to catch her breath and then slowly moved away as she was tended to by her kin.
Pulling in a deep breath, Mike got back up his feet and fled out of the room, out to the cool evening air.
He leaned his back towards the wall and felt his legs give away. Making no attempt to stay upright, he let his knees buckle until he sat crouched, his back still against the wall, staring in to the darkness while supporting his head in his left hand slowly rubbing his scalp, wondering what the h€ll had just happened?

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 01:30:35 AM »

The village healer had watched everything from afar, daring not to interfere with what the stranger had found himself doing out of nowhere. She had seen similar before, those few the Night Goddess had brought to them, some talent or memory of their past seeping through into this life, this world they found themselves in. There was one such many years ago, he had a talent for making things out of seemingly nothing, it was from him they had their irrigation for the crops, the running water in the homes and most importantly, the system that allowed their own wastes to be removed safely flushed away to a huge pond to be cleansed magically by certain plants, then recycled back as reasonably clean water to be used on some of the gardens.

She wasn't surprised either when he left suddenly, a reaction she had seen several times when someone suddenly became aware of something about themselves. Following him out a few moments later, Marill copied his actions by sliding down against the wall, sitting next to him. "A beautiful night isn't it?" She said, her slow drawl emphasizing each word. "Can you see that bright blue star low on the horizon? We call it Osgilian, the wanders star. It is there all the time of course, but it does seem to burn brighter when someone has found something they thought lost." To Mike she may have been talking in riddles, but one he would be certain to understand.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »

Mike shot the healer a fast, sideways glance when she sat down next to him, then followed her gaze towards the horizon.
He remained quiet for a long time, studying that bright blue dot on the sky, pondering on what the woman had said before quietly replying.
“So maybe it is a bit brighter tonight then. because I sure as h€ll didn’t learn what I just did in there from Yorvis.”
Still staring at the distance, he continued, frustration very apparent, “I am also pretty sure that was some sort of memory from the past kicking in and probably something that I’ve done a lot of times, so where the heck do I come from? Where does one learn things like that, practice them until you body knows how to do it without your mind actually being present? It scares the sh*t out of me. What else might I know, and react to? This time I helped someone…” Mike finally looked back at Marill with a worried face, “…but what if I have other skills that turns out to be the other way around? What if I’m also just as good at causing injuries?”

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:25:35 PM by NG »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 08:24:32 PM »

Turning her head ever so slightly Marill looked him up and down approvingly. Mike had changed a little since he had been there even in just a few days. He was leaner, stronger looking now, showing signs of someone who could do a decent days work in the fields or the forest. His mind seemed to be sharper to, the slightest of recollection a good sign. "I do not know much of these things, my field of work was never much for the mind with only experience teaching me. But I would not doubt that any of us no matter what we choose to do in life, are not incapable of doing the exact opposite. I was trained to heal from the beginning, even as a child Myke, but I have taken a life to and I bare no shame in that when it was in defence of one of my own. There are times when we our hands are forced to do something we'd rather not; I doubt though you have any inherent evil in your heart, that much I know. Be at peace, you can rest assured of that."
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 05:34:25 PM »

Mike nodded, picking up a leaf from the ground and fiddled with it as he spoke, “I think you’re right,” he said slowly, “because even if I hear you and I think I understand what you mean and where it comes from; taking a life just feels,” there was a small hesitation before he uttered one more word, “…wrong!”

He leaned his head back towards the wall with a small thump and pulled in a deep breath of the cool, crisp evening air. It was saturated with the smell of the rain that had passed, of fresh soil and a hint of the herbs that grew just around the corner of the cooking house.
Finally looking back towards Marill after yet a few more breaths, he offered her one of his rare, small grins, “No matter where I'm from and what I’ve done before though, I’m starting to take a liking in this place, and I hope I’ll be able stay here for a very long of time,” empathizing on the word very.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21