Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Tamora~ The forgotten world.  (Read 7139 times)

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
Re: Tamora~ The forgotten world.
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »

NPC - Yatar, former herd keeper. Father of Yorvis.

Yatar nodded his respect for Marill when she stopped next to him outside the fence, “Good morning Healer.” Before he looked back at his son and the stranger. “Looks like this Stray has earned his keeps in more than one way.”

A good piece in to the song, the black draft heaved a sigh as of relief and slowly moved forward towards Yorvis. It stopped when her forehead almost touched his and placed her short trunk on his shoulder and around his neck. Yorvis, in return, raised his right arm and placed it on her neck, lowering his singing in to quiet murmur that only the two of them could hear.
At this point, Mike knew he’d done all he could, and slowly, careful of not disturbing them, got up on his feet and backed away without a word.
He was exhausted and felt drained, his head all empty and his legs a bit shaky, but the warm feeling he’d gotten from the song remained on the inside. A feeling telling him that everything would be able to be alright again. A feeling he wasn’t sure he’d ever felt before. He finally reached the fence and leaned his back towards it, still watching the young man and the draft.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 233
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 01:10:59 AM »

"A fine morning it is Yatar, a fine morning." By this time Maril's emotions were in check, just. She took the time before speaking again to take a good hard look at the scene before her, taking some great pride in the fact that as one draft, the Matriach, had gone to the netherworld, another in the form of her daughter had stood firm, taking up her dames place as it should be. Albeit a little early in her time, that fact wasn't lost on Maril either. But knowing how their animals had the ability to pass on knowledge, she was content in knowing they wouldn't starve come the next snowfalls.

When looking for a reply in regards to Mykael, she looked him keenly up and down. The man had changed a little since he came to them, leaner and of course the facial growth, that was the most obvious. But there was something new in his eyes to, something if she was to guess that might be awakening in him, a memory perhaps. "Very much so, I feel when the time comes, we will miss him one way or another. My feelings tell me he will soon depart, for better or ill, that I do not know."
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

NPC - Yatar, former herd keeper. Father of Yorvis

Letting the rising sun warm his face and body, Mike eased himself down to sit, still leaning towards the fence. There was a familiar feeling about it all – sitting there, facing the low sun, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it. And pushing away the blanket for an answer was not an option. Not again. Not today.
So he closed his eyes and just focused on the warmth of the sun, the distant mumble of people talking and the sounds the herd made when interacting further down in the pen.

Yatar tore his eyes from his son and looked over to where Mike slowly sat down on the ground, using the fence as a back support, nodding and replied quietly, “Yes, well you have a tendency to be right when it comes to those things Merrill. From what Yorvis has told me so far, he’s got good hands with the drafts, so the longer he stays the better.”
Suddenly one of the youngsters from the pack decided to break lose from the rest of them and happily crossed the open area towards the sitting man. When it reached its target it slumped down, more or less in a pile and rolled over to lie on its back, its head nudging the man’s leg.

Mike flinched as something big bumped his right leg, totally unprepared for it and pulled in a fast breath as he opened his eyes and looked at the draft in surprise, its belly up and its large head repeatedly nudging his leg.
“She wants you to scratch her under her neck and down towards her forelegs and stomach!” Yatar shouted, his amusement apparent. “If you don’t comply, she’ll just get more persistent and most likely roll over you to make sure she gets you attention!”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 02:01:21 AM »

With strained amusement Maril watched the draft play take shape at Mykael's discomfort, it was something they all went through, mostly as children. It was a rather large surprise as an adult to be accosted in such a way though, hopefully Mike was going to take it in good humor. "We can only hope of course, even for our own Yatar it is a far too long an apprenticeship. So to lose that extra pair of hands we have in him as we draw near to fall would of course be a tragic loss. I can only say his fate rests with the Goddess and whatever she may choose for him, indeed us as well."

"Mind there Mykael, she does weigh quite more than you, I'd comply if you want to remain clean for the day." Maril added with a wide grin.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »

Mike frowned, adjusted his seating and complied, knowing better by now than to argue the matter.
Compared to the rough, hispid, coating on the top, the belly was softer and woollier… and when digging ones fingers in to it, it was sort of oily, more suited to persist the moist swamps that was their original habitat.
The youngster adjusted her head to let it rest across Mike’s lap, and when he started to massage her neck and upper belly she slipped a content sigh and closed her eyes. Yes, she really *had picked the right one. The one with the very good hands.
When Mike felt the young female slowly relax under his hands, he couldn’t help but to heave a sigh, lowering his shoulders and feel the tension he’d had in his body since the seizure, slowly, finally, ebb away.

Yatar nodded and replied in a low voice so that Marill was the only one who could hear him, “I know. For one reason or the other, the strays rarely stays longer than 2 seasons, but who knows, maybe he will be the one to stand out? The one who stayed.”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2017, 10:59:44 PM »

"There is a wind of change coming Yatar, you can feel it. Apart from the Goddess coming less and less lately, you could well be right. The thing that upsets me at night as I think on it...." Her words trailed off for a moment as she watched Mike and the daughter enjoy their moment of bonding. She had to furrow her brow just slightly, not from annoyance but amusement. One could only hope things remained as they were. "...we are not a people of change Yatar, we have lived our ways for many generations, the thought of change terrifies me. But, as you say, mayhap he will be the one, we can only hope."
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »

NPC - Yorvis, Herd keeper

Yatar turned to look at Marill, “I believe you. You’ve always been more perceptive then me in these matters dear cousin, but this - even I can feel it. Yorvis is too young to take note of the small changes, but they are there alright. A whiff in the wind, a small change in the light… Something is bound to happen.”
He let his eyes follow his son he and the matriarch parted with a final touch and the young man crossed to pen towards them. His eyes had a new shine, yet they still had the appearance of a very young man, someone in the beginning of the path of his life. The change in his appearance was there as well, but very subtle and probably hard to notice if you didn’t know what to look for.

Something was obscuring the sun and Mike opened his eyes to look up, facing Yorvis. He crouched next to the young draft with a grin “Having a great time, eh?” Yorvis gave her a pat on her soft belly before looking back at Mike, turning more serious. “I don’t know how you managed to do what you just did to help me, but I know I’ll always be in your debt for that. A ‘thank you’ seems so… inadequate...”
Mike gave him a small head shake and a smile, “No worries. I’m just glad I could help.”
The draft suddenly pulled in a deep breath, stirred and sat up, rubbing her ear towards the inside of her front leg, then, as if she’d come to think of, or remembered something, she softly rubbed her trunk a few times against Mike’s upper arm before slowly backing away, turned and walked back to the herd.
“I think you’ve gotten yourself a friend there. She really likes you.” Yorvis said in an amused tone, then straightened up and offered Mike his hand, “Come. Let’s get something to eat before we start teaching her what it really means to be a draft, because I’m starving.”
Mike took a firm hold of Yorvis strong hand and with a grunt got up, “What? Teach her? You mean we have to tell her how to do things?”
“Yes.” The young man grinned, “What, did you think they were born with the knowledge of how to work along side of us?”
“Umm, no, well not really… but,” Mike stuttered, “everything seemed so natural and easy with the matriarch, so I assumed…”
Yorvis patted Mike on the arm, still having an amused grin on his face, “I’m sorry, sometimes I really forget how little you know about our ways and our life with the drafts.”
And as they walked out of the pen, Yorvis started to line out how they should introduce this young draft to at least make her acquainted to work before the herd left for their winter leave. At one point though, Yorvis turned towards his father and gave him a gesture meaning that all was good. That everything was going to be alright again…

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 12:35:36 AM »

Yatar was the optimist in the family, Marill tended to be a little more on the pessimistic side when it came to their life and all that brought with it. Not that she was a gloomy person, far from it as Mike had seen she can be quite the charmer in the smile department. It was merely that of late she had been extremely worried about several things. In the first instance it had been quite obvious their protector the Night Goddess was coming less and less, in the second instance almost every day the sun appeared as if it were losing its heat and the nights getting colder. Snow, even though they were all familiar with it, was rarely seen at this latitude, yet the last three winters had seen heavy falls and some stock losses as many of their creatures were simply not meant for such cold. "Sometimes the young need knocking on the head to see those subtleties Yatar, although I am sure even both of us are missing something important from time to time." She watched the interaction between Mike, Yorvis and the 'daughter', that at least made her part her lips just a little in some semblance of a smile.

"You are a natural Mykael, I do not doubt you could train her in a very short time." She said encouragingly, then turned back to Yatar. "Let us keep hope some of these changes are only temporary." It would be hard for them to move further south again, after building their community over all these years, it would be very hard.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »

Yatar returned the gesture to his son and watched them leave, before looking back at Marill, having an amused look on his face. “I know I am missing a few things here and there, but you? A member of the Elders, admitting you’re missing something? Never thought I’d live to hear you admit that!”
He then grew more serious as he continued, “I hope it doesn’t have to come to another migration. I remember our old grandpa telling the stories of the ordeals they had to endure when he was a young boy. The herd not showing up after the winter. Their almost fruitless search for it, and when finally finding it, here where we stand today, it was to late to make enough preparations of the fields for the growing season. They all starved and suffered that winter, so I pray and hope my children won’t have to experience something like that – the loss of the heard and its effect on our people.”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »

"Remarkable isn't it Yatar? That it would come to this, we grow old and as we do our fears elevate, or our esteemed view of our own abilities diminish. Thus I have learned and yet I will live many more years yet." Scratching her chin for a moment in thought, her eyes brightened at least a degree. "We do what we have done for nigh on 500 winters, if needs be we will move further south to the area around the Mielene river, its fertile at least and apart from the occasional Skeet cat, we have little to fear that far." It was though a trek of at least a month, taking everything into consideration. If the other Elders were in agreement, they may have to start making preparations sooner rather than later. "We will starve no longer, of that I am certain."

Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »

“True,” Yatar nodded, “The Goddess has smiled towards us and made sure we were able to fill our stock houses after a very good season, but we need to keep this in mind. Because no matter what, and I know you disagree with me so lets not argue about that today, we need to make sure we don’t rely to much upon Her. We know where we stand today, but not what tomorrow brings.”
He’d always had a more laid back approach to their guardian than most of their settlement, relying more on himself and his abilities than to let go and let someone else fend for him. Maybe it was because of all the time spent with the herd, out in the fields or out in the wild while hunting, he didn’t know. And quite honestly he didn’t care, as long as the herd was fine and there was food on the tables for his people to eat.
He sighed, fingering on one of the knots keeping the fence as he replied, “While the area around Mielene provides us with very good soil due to the yearly flooding, that will also be part of the problem if we decides to move our settlement. But one lets focus on one problem at a time I guess. Maybe the changes we both feel stops at what it is now. Something that we will have to be observant of, but that in the end won’t lead to anything.”
Yatar looked back at his cousin with a small grin and shrugged, “Maybe we’re just getting old and worry too much?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 12:16:16 AM »

The village healer smiled gratefully, it was good to have someone like Yatar around, someone both she and the village could rely on implicitly. For her, that was a boon she wasn't about to ignore and with her influence on the council she could we ensure that his firm head and brains would ensure the safety of their people should anything happen to her. Oldris has reached his time, in another month or so he will take the long walk alone, never to return. "Your wisdom and insight never fails to astound me my dear friend. So long as you're here our people, our customs will be safe for as long as we endure, but..." She broadened that smile. "...disagree yes. But is not healthy debate the way we two have always come to the same conclusions ever since we were knee high to a draft's leg?"
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:53 PM »

Yatar gave Marill a soft smile, “Yes, eventually we always did. You were a good diplomat even when we were as young as that.”
After one final look at the heard, he pushed away from the fence and offered Marill his arm while making a motion with his chin towards the house Mike and Yorvis had disappeared in to, “Come, let us share bread during first meal. I’m sure you have a lot to tell me about what has happened around here during my away time and there is no a better way to do just that than when sharing a meal, don’t you think?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »

An offer she couldn't and definitely wasn't about to refuse, not from a life long friend such as Yatar. Delicately she took the offered arm, giving the man a well earned nod of approval with the added smile she rarely used, the widest that heightened her rose colored cheeks. "You were no less Yatar, we both know that. But let us not talk of such things now on such a beautiful morning. We'll leave these children to their chores while we enjoy what hours of peace the day will bring." The children in this case being Mike and Yorvis of course, fortunately they were out of hearing range. "I am quite famished to be truthful. Strange isn't it that we often in the course of our daily work, neglect to take proper care of ourselves. I've not eaten since mid meal yesterday."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:45:58 AM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »

*Day 15*

Mike bolted up from his bed, panting, and the damp shirt clinging on to his sweaty body, like so many nights before this one.
He looked out through the window, realizing that it was far from time to get up. Pulling off the blanket, he quietly, bare footed, crossed the cold floor to the sink where he poured and greedily drank a mug of water.
The dream that had woken him up had been so vivid. There was that blond woman that had made him feel whole and warm and happy, then slowly, she somehow transformed in to a black haired one wanting noting more than to hurt him, strangle him, sucking the life out of him…
Mike absentmindedly touched the scar on his neck, a very physical reminder that the dreams were just not a bad nightmare but that something bad really *had happened to him.
Who were these women? That lovely blond with an illusive face. Because no matter how hard he tried, he never managed to get a good look at her face, it always slipped away, just almost hearing her voice… And then that other woman, always associated with pain and a feeling of absolute terror.
He tried to shake the feeling, failing miserably though and with a deep sigh from within he quietly walked back to his bed, got dressed and draped the blanket over his shoulders and walked outside - careful of not making any noise when doing so.

For a few moments, he stood on the landing and looked out over the village.
It was definitely colder than when he’d first arrived here, but it wasn’t freezing yet and the thick blanket held the cold at bay, so standing like this for a little while when the sleep eluded him wasn’t really a bad thing; gazing at the stars, listening to the sounds emerging from the barn not to far away where the herd moved and stirred a little and he could feel his emotions and inside slowly getting settled, but sleep – no, that was probably a lost cause for this night too.
Mike pulled in a deep breath of the crisp air, wrapped the blanket a bit tighter around his shoulders and crossed the open space in front of the house and continued towards the cookhouse.

With a nod of acknowledgment towards the man on fire-watch, Mike walked over to the shelves next to the door and started rummaging around the jars of dried herbs and plants. It only took him a few moments to find the ones he wanted and after adding them in to a mug of hot water, he sat down by the fireplace cradling the steaming mug and looking in to the flames, the blanket loosely draped over his back and shoulders.
As he slowly sipped on the hot beverage, the tranquillity finally started to return to his mind, but even so, he felt no need to go back to sleep.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:17:59 PM by NG »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21