Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Food, food, glorious FOOD!!  (Read 4986 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 233
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Food, food, glorious FOOD!!
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:23:49 AM »

The name speaks for itself. This thread is dedicated to one of our most favorite subjects other than you know what  :fp So, if you have something to share, your favorite recipes, or what a wonderful meal you had last night..here is your new kitchen away from home :)
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
Re: Food, food, glorious FOOD!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:27:58 AM »

Being essentially a vegetarian, I'm always looking for new and tasty meals. I do eat some seafood, but not a lot. I love this and I'm sure many of you will to :D

Rocket, Olive and Pancetta Crumb Salad

Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 5 min

Serves: 4 people
Ingredients

1/2 cup Always Fresh Pitted Kalamata Olives
    1/2 cup Always Fresh Pitted Sicilian Olives
    2 tbsp Always Fresh French Capers
    3 tbsp Always Fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    100g baby spinach leaves
    50g rocket leaves
    50g shaved parmesan cheese
    100g sourdough breadcrumbs, roughly chopped
    50g pancetta or bacon, finely diced
    1 tsp thyme leaves
    Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup chives, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

To make the Pancetta crumbs start with a fry pan on a medium heat with the olive oil. Add breadcrumbs and pancetta. Cook until just starting to change colour

Add thyme, parsley, chives and cloves with the lemon and garlic and cook until crumbs are golden and crisp

Take the pan off heat and use paper towel to drain any excess oil from the crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste

To make the salad, mix the olives, capers, spinach and rocket leaves in a large bowl

Transfer to a serving platter and top with shaved parmesan and the crispy crumbs.

This is probably the only time I ever eat any meat  :lol: tiny little bits of pancetta :D
Far Dareis Mai

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »

The most delicious Fish and Chips recipe' I have ever used. Just for you sweetheart :)

Serves four adults

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
    150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
    75g (½ cup)cornflour
    75g (½ cup)custard powder
    ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
    Pinch salt
    330ml bottle beer
    1/3 cup (50g) plain flour, for dusting
    4 large skinless flathead fillets (overseas, use a white flesh fish like cod)
    Sea salt flakes, to taste
    Hot chips, lemon wedges, tartare sauce to serve

Half fill a large saucepan or deep fryer with oil, and heat to 180C.

Combine self-raising flour, cornflour, custard powder, bicarbonate soda and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Gradually pour in beer, whisking constantly, incorporating flour from the edges of the bowl until smooth and of pouring consistency. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.

Place flour in a large bowl. Dust fish, shaking off any excess, then coat well in batter.

In batches, carefully and slowly lower fish into oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turning halfway, until fish is crisp, golden and just cooked through. Remove from oil, and drain well on paper towel. Season with salt.

Serve fish with chips, lemon wedges, and tartare sauce.

For the potato chips, I cut them into roughly half inch thick, par boil them, drain and dry and place them in the fridge for two hours; then deep fry them at 130C until they look dry but not coloured. Remove and dry on paper towel and let them cool for an hour or so. Finally heat your oil again to 180C and cook until golden. Remove, drain them and sprinkle with sea salt.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:50 PM »

It looks like I'm the only one who eats around here  ::) Nevertheless I would like to share this with you. I know we all love ice cream and many of us have either a dairy intolerance these days, or simply watching our waist lines. So here is what I love to make for the family.

Rhubarb Ice Cream (Vegan)

3 cups coconut milk (full fat coconut milk or make your own coconut milk)
1 cup rhubarb syrup (recipe below)
1 cup rhubarb pulp (byproduct of making rhubarb syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoon tapioca flour/starch
2 teaspoons beet juice (optional - to add color - I promise it won't taste at all like beets)

Simmer the 3 cups of coconut milk in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add 1 cup of rhubarb syrup and 1 cup of rhubarb pulp and gently whisk to combine.  Allow the milk to simmer for 2-3 minutes while gently whisking and then remove the pan from the heat.  Whisk in the vanilla, tapioca flour and beet juice.  Transfer the mixture into a glass bowl and place in the refrigerator to cool for at least 4-6 hours. (You can cover the bowl once the mixture cools down a bit).  At this point you need to process the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufactures instructions or until you know it is ready (mine took two batches at 15 minutes each).  Transfer the "soft" ice cream to a container and freeze until the ice cream is set.

Rhubarb Syrup

2 lbs of rhubarb, chopped
1 cup of water
Sugar

Simmer the chopped rhubarb in 1 cup of water over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until all the rhubarb is disintegrated.  Stir occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.  Transfer the hot rhubarb into a jelly bag or cheesecloth over a bowl and hang it up to allow the juice to strain overnight.  (This is the perfect time to chill the base of your ice cream maker).
    In the morning take the juice and place it back into a saucepan over medium heat. (I got 2 cups of juice).  Reserve the rhubarb pulp that is left in the cheesecloth for making the ice cream.  Add 1 cup of sugar to every 2 cups of rhubarb juice and stir until the sugar is all dissolved.  Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove it from the heat to cool.  The rhubarb ice cream will take 1 cup of the finished syrup.  Store the remaining cup in the refrigerator for other purposes.   

Though this is high in energy with the sugar, it is a treat and is something you shouldn't get addicted to  :lol:

katlyn

• Chief Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • katlyn is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:48 PM »

If you guys have anything that's a true gluten-free meal that tastes great, let me know!  I've got a friend with Celiac and I'd love to pass some yummy stuff her way.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »

there are oodles of good recipes out there Kat :)

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com.au/
Far Dareis Mai

Mustang Mik

• Chief Master Sergeant
  • Mustang Mik A new starter.
  • Insane? Just a lil' bit!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »

Stuffed Toad and Dragon Eyes :D

Stuffed Toad ingredients:
1/2 pound of ground burger (venison's my fave)
small potato (any kind-I like red skins or yukons)
a veggie or two or three of your choice (I usually have carrots)
any spices you would prefer (salt and pepper tend to work nicely when all else fails)

cookware needed: foil and hot coals

Directions:
Form burger into a bowl with enough left over to create a "lid".
Slice or dice potato and veggie.
Fill burger with potato and veggie.
Flavor with any seasonings you prefer.
Place burger lid over filling and pinch the edges to "seal" the filling inside.
Wrap the ball of burger with foil.
Place foil covered burger on hot coals and let sit for up to 15 minutes before checking (depending on hotness of fire/coals and thickness of burger)
Toad will be done when the burger is cooked through.
Open "lid" and enjoy!

Dragon Eye ingredients:
Half a peach without the pit
Marshmallow
Chocolate bar (Hershey works best here)

cookware needed: foil and hot coals

Directions:
Turn half peach to mimic a bowl.
Slice marshmallow in half and place in peach where pit had been.
Place a chunk of the chocolate bar inside the sliced marshmallow.
Wrap all in foil, keeping "bowl" upright.
Place on hot coals.
Let sit for up to 10 minutes.
Dragon Eye is done when peach is soft and chocolate and marshmallow are melted giving you an "eyeball" staring back at you.
Enjoy the sticky gooey-ness!

"It's all nuts and bolts...if the rider's nuts, the horse bolts!"

Arales Bloodmoon

• Airman
  • Arales Bloodmoon is looked down upon.
  • I am Arales Bloodmoon I am the Ultimate Alterego
    • My Official Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 05:35:28 AM »

Me Epictsa!

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »

Arales I am not even going to click on that :fp this thread is about posting your recipes, not links :P

My ten minute guacamale :D

2 decent size Avacados,

2 medium firm tomatoes

1 Spanish onion

half a lemon

sea salt

black pepper

Scoop out contents of avacadoes

mix in bowl or blender until a soft creamy texture. set in fridge

cut tomatoes and take out seed center then chop into small pieces,

chop onion to similar sizes chunks. (Should be about 1/4" bits for both)

Take out avacado mixture, add tomato and onion, squeeze in lemon (you might need a full lemon depending on your taste), add sea salt and black pepper (cracked pepper is better) to taste and then serve with corn chips or you favorite salad.
Far Dareis Mai

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 01:48:43 AM »

Ummm, lets see, one of my favourite cakes, Carrot Cake

8 eggs
pound of flour
pound of sugar
pound of marg
mixed spices
almond essence
4 carrots
iciing sugar
Grate the carrots, put some to  one side to use as topping
mix the eggs, sugar, and marg in a bowl thoroughly, then add the flour, mix well and blend in the carrots and add the mixed spice, to your own taste.
Place in a greaseproof pan (this is a lot of sponge mix, you may wish to make individual cakes instead), place in oven on Gas Mark 4 and leave until cooked, you can test it with a  metal  rod, stick it in the middle, if it comes out clean, your sponge is cooked.
Wait till it is thoroughly cooled.
Topping
mix the iciing sugar and alittle marg till you get a nice creamy and thickish consistency, add the almond essence, (again this will depend on your taste) and mix. Spread it on the top of the sponge, when done,sprinkle the remaining carrot on top
(I am not very good at putting recipes into words, i am better at doing them)

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!
  • Forum Bouncer, so behave.
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »

Use wooden rod instead of metal :D
Terra Locuta. Causa Finita.

Bickering with an admin is like fighting a dragon. You gave him a good kick, poked his eye with your sword and already are aiming to cut his throat open, when the dragon gets tired and finally breathes out.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:42 AM »

And i forgot a few ingredients
Use one large iron frying pan to the back of the head of any interfering Russian
Drag body to prepared area out side
Throw in deep hole and add soil liberally
Sprinkle with seeds and wait for them to bloom into wonderful flowers
Enjoy:D
(You can actually use paving stones with the soil for a crustier topping)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:26:10 AM by Red »

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
  • VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 06:31:37 AM »

I'm telling you, ingrate, that to check if it baked or not you use a wooden stick :mk

Bickering with an admin is like fighting a dragon. You gave him a good kick, poked his eye with your sword and already are aiming to cut his throat open, when the dragon gets tired and finally breathes out.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 01:39:36 AM »

Well, we use a metal one.

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:17 AM »

It is not as good test as a wooden one though :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

lethal-pageant