Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: An Evening Of Celebration  (Read 1473 times)

Cynadea

An Evening Of Celebration
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »

<Marshall Henry Thomasson, Cafeteria, after dinner>

A few things are bringing us here together today.” The Marshall announced, standing up on the end of a table so that he could address everyone and everyone would be able to look at him. He was a tall man, not overly muscular, who wore a military suit that would have given him the rank of colonel, if not for his rank in this shatterdome. The suit was perfect, with not a hint of lint anywhere, no dust, as if he had taken it fresh out of the cleaner’s plastic, worn it and hopped onto that table. Everyone who had been around since the beginning of the Sydney Shatterdome, however, knew that he was always so clean, although far from always wearing his military uniform.

Bad news first… General Rosenberg, who has been a great support in favor of the Jaeger, has announced his retirement. I have given him our thanks for his continued support and for his help.” The Marshall announced. It wasn’t a so bad news, people retiring when they had stayed long past the average retiring age was always expected. The downside was that with the construction of the wall being slowly put in place, it was one less voice out there to keep the Jaeger active. The last thing Marshall Thomasson wanted, was for him and his people to become obsolete and be looking for a new job.

Now the good news. Please congradulate Ranger Lennox Thornton and Ranger Madison Carter. They are the pilot for the new Jaeger, Striker Eureka. May you be successful in the missions to come.” The Marshall raised his glass of what looked like beer from afar, but was really ginger ale. “Have a good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen!” And with this, the tall man stepped off the table with the same grace than he would going down a flight of stairs. There were loud cheers, and someone, somewhere managed to get some music in the cafeteria speakers, loud enough for dancers to congregate in a corner, but not loud enough to drown the voices and make having a discussion impossible.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 193
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: An Evening Of Celebration
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 05:35:26 PM »

<<From apartment>>

As they sped from the apartment building, Abi had to shout into the back of Quinn's head to be heard. For two reasons, the Triumph was loud, as loud as any Harley and secondly they were in among a lot of tall buildings that created a reverberation back to them that made simple speaking difficult. "Quinn, if you could do that for me, I would have your babies tomorrow..." She immediately wanted to take that back, but then again one day, so no she didn't rescind it. "...maybe not tomorrow." She laughed.

They reached the Shatterdome in good time, after all it was only three blocks away. Once they reached the main entrance Quinn was waved through, naturally after flashing their ID tags; which Abi thought absurd since Davis on the gate knew them better than most. He was just being over protective perhaps.

Down into the basement carpark, they soon got to the lift, then to the cafe where they found something already going on; quite a party it seemed to. Which for them was something unexpected given their previous night's escapade. Expecting to find Thomasson there Abi couldn't see him anywhere. She saw two of the new guys, Lennox and Madison nearby though. "Come on Quinn, maybe they can tell us what the noise is all about." Hopefully he had a better voice than her, after last night her throat was fit to scratching.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:48:17 PM »

Quinn guided the bike through the city.   It felt great to be on his bike again with Abi close to him.  His eyes widened behind his helmet at her words.   Babies?  Oh he was not ready for that.  A nervous laugh escaped his lips.  "How bout I help you cause I want to?"

He rolled his eyes as it took a few minutes to get to the basement.   Once they were parked he left his helmet on the seat as he walked in side with Abi.  "Good idea.  Let's find out."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:21:50 AM by sorra »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »

Wishing she had changed, Abi noticed that despite the excellent air conditioning in the building, she was starting to feel a little hot in her bike leathers, it made it worse because it was a one piece, unlike Quinn who had the good sense to wear a jacket with a shirt, he could easily take his off. Abi couldn't unless it was acceptable to parade around in her tiny tiny briefs and bra. That was the last thing she would do. "Yeah that'd be good to Quinn. I can at least source most of the parts we need." They were getting rarer and rarer now for a car getting on close to fifty years old, but she did know a few places.

Then as always, like all blokes he left it up to her to make themselves be known. "Chicken." She said under her breath as she grabbed his elbow to drag him over to where Madison and Lennox stood. The two of them she had met casually in the vast hallways just a few short days ago. "Hey again Madison, Lennox. So what was the big dealio Thomasson dragged us out of bed for?" True it was getting on late afternoon now, but when you hit the sack in the wee hours just before sunrise you could do with some sleep.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:30:02 AM »

Quinn pull his ball cap out of his back pocket and slipped it on backward.  It wouldn't be long before he shed his jacket.  He took a second to glance at Abi.  Oh she was going to be sweltering in that outfit before long.  Not that she didn't look extremely sexy in it, but he did feel bad for her.  "Great.  Then as soon as we have some time we'll dig into that baby of yours."

Quinn just grinned when she called him a chicken.  She might have mumbled it, but he could guess what she had said.  Okay so he wasn't always the most out going and didn't have to be when Abi was around.  He let her tug him over to the others, nodding a hello.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:21:41 AM by sorra »

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Thaddeus Thumb turning green.Thaddeus Thumb turning green.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:27:56 PM »

Lennox did not like being at the center of attention, yet, here he was, reveling in the glory that was a celebration evening of both Maddie and he gaining the honour of piloting Striker Eureka.

“Bad news first… General Rosenberg, who has been a great support in favor of the Jaeger, has announced his retirement. I have given him our thanks for his continued support and for his help.”

He groaned slightly at that. There was another man gone from what seemed to be a losing war against a wall, the wall that people believed would stop a kaiju from entering nearby cities. Lennox's brows narrowed, wanting nothing than to prove whomever wrong about their decision.

"Hey again Madison, Lennox. So what was the big dealio Thomasson dragged us out of bed for?"

The ranger glanced upwards, finding himself face to face with 'Psycho', the PPDC Strike Troop leader. He didn't bother much learning their names - even if it was probably a good idea to put effort into it.

"Shouldn't have been late to the party, Psycho," Lennox smirked. "Apparently, I made it onto Santa's good boy list and got myself a partner in Eureka."

Cynadea

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »

Maddie was, well… Maddie. Cool, calm, but with a smile that would have put the village idiot to shame. It faltered somewhat when the Marshall announce the retirement of a support that the Jaeger program so direly needed. She didn’t want it to end, not when she was finally getting her dream job. Besides, Maddie did not have faith in a wall at all. If anything, the Kaiju had proved to be adaptable, so they would throw a few different models at the wall and at some point, one of the Kaiju would have just the right shape, or the right weapon to go through the wall. What then?

Hey girl.” Maddie said still with her grin plastered on her face. She let Lennox break the news to Abi. “Finally made it. Striker Eureka finally has its pilot. I’m not really looking forward to a Kaiju attack, but… you  know… I’m eager to take the big thing out for a walk.” Maddie admitted. She was looking forward to an attack, in a way. She was just not looking forward to the amount of damage that a Kaiju usually did where it landed once it got out of the ocean.

Hey Quinn. Always the quiet one.” Maddie teased him. She had envied his status of pilot of Vulcan Specter. Now, though, she saw him as an equal, rather than as the guy who was one step ahead of her. It didn’t change her behavior toward him, though. She was a friendly gal, most of the time…

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:24:28 AM »

Abi's head protested when Lennox mentioned party, as if she needed one of those right now. Although she had to admit, that feeling of euphoria from last night and early (very early) this morning hadn't left her. With her arm firmly looped in Quinn's though, she felt radiant as a girl should being with a hunk like him. Plus he was a handy spanner man to boot, that was a big bonus in her eyes. Leaning into his shoulder, at least this time the B word was referring to a real baby. "One of these days Quinn I'm going to introduce you to some friends of mine, they have some 'babies' that make the cops cry." She hadn't told him about everything about herself, one of those being she had done some street racing in her time.

So now it was mix and meet, a little joy before something crappy hit the fan. "Well Lennox since you noticed, I do have a legit excuse; shall I sing it for you?" Though she wasn't sure she was capable of getting even a half decent note out now. "But I have to say, to both of you....Maddi, this is frikkin awesome. Congratulations. I won't say I'm envious, the boss hasn't twisted my arm hard enough yet to get into a Jaeger suit. He can keep plugging away for a while yet. I'm content to sit back and watch you guys from Terra Firma. Besides, didn't someone say recently my job was even harder on the description list?" She was stupidly grinning now. Most PPDC Strike soldiers lasted about six months, if they weren't dead that is. Abi, 'Psycho' had been doing it longer now than anyone else. As she finished speaking, Abi grabbed her new friend Madison in what could be described as a friendly bear hug.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »

Quinn raised a brow.  He hadn't pushed Abi to speak of her past and there were still many things that she didn't know about him such as his ties to the mafia thanks to his mother.  "Is that so?  well I look forward to it," he grinned, not minding having her close at all.  She had become more then a friend over the time they had known each other and he found himself relying on her in ways he wouldn't others.

He silently groaned. "Please, don't let her sing right now," he said with an eye roll but then smiled. "Maddie.  No sense in talking over top of others," he smiled. "And congratulations you two.  That is great news."  Piloting a Jaeger was a real experience.  Quinn still hadn't found anyone as compatible in the Jaeger with him as his old girlfriend had been.  Maybe one day.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »

"Well Lennox since you noticed, I do have a legit excuse; shall I sing it for you?"

Lennox smirked as he retorted, "You don't look as if you could handle a C note." It came as naturally as breathing, he couldn't help but snicker ever so lightly at the comeback as he turned to the other face in the room who had come over to congratulate them.

The other pilot - Vulcan Specter - Quinn Douglas had not said much, as Lennox casted over to the females who hugged. His jaw clenched, affection had never really been a big conception in his life. He couldn't remember the last time or the first time he had been hugged by either 'parent.'

"...I'm content to sit back and watch you guys from Terra Firma. Besides, didn't someone say recently my job was even harder on the description list?"

"Probably because you aren't suited and booted in a giant robot fighting against a giant monster from the deep," He commented, pitching in on the conversation before looking at Quinn. "Found yourself a co-pilot yet, Douglas?"

Cynadea

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »

Thanks, and I do tend to agree with Quinn. Don’t waste your breath singing here, there’s too much noise for us to… ah… truly appreciate it.” Maddie said, tactfully, but the boyish grin that appeared on her face said everything about her thoughts. It was a tease; she had no clue if Abigail was able to sing or not. She returned Abi’s hug. Even though she wasn’t quite the hugging kind, and certainly not one to initiate it, Maddie did not have that much personal space that she did not welcome a hug when given.

No, she has her own suit and has to deal with hundreds of panicky humans instead. ”  Maddie pointed out flatly in answer to Lennox. In that particular department, Maddie’s faith in humanity was rather thin. She was not overly proud that as a species, people lost so much of their senses when reacting out of fear that they were ready to trample someone to death so that they could get out of the way. She had long figured that if everyone was as level-headed as some of the people who picked up their gears in a shatterdome to face Kaiju, not only would the fatalities be less, but jobs like Abigail’s might be easier.

I’m not wishing for a Kaiju visit but, you know… I am dying to give the team a real shot at fighting something other than each other.” She joked, in answer to Quinn’s congratulations. It would quickly become known that Lennox and herself enjoyed fighting in duels together just as much as they enjoyed fighting whatever was thrown at their jaeger… After all, their very first meeting had been about trying to hit each other with a big stick. Competitive nature and all, that first duel had set the tone of their relationship so far.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:09 PM »

Letting go of the hug, Abi stood back to take it all in, it was some party. Though as per regulations, that unwritten code of parties all over the world and all through the ages, everyone had by the first thirty minutes splintered off into little groups, either by gender or professional classes. Since at this time both Jaeger pilots and PPDC grunts were thin on the ground, it looked like this one was a party of four. Abi did of course have her team of eight, but she never saw them off duty all that much other than the only two women along with her in the team; Keira Fisher a smart arsed corporal drawn from the Royal Marines and Su Chen Li, an equally smart arsed nerd who did all their tech work. She came to them from Singapore, an ex cop and she was damned good with computers, that was about it. Abi always tended to leave her behind in the armored scout car when they were in the field. "Fine then, I won't sing." She joked pretending to be offended, which she never was. You could call her a b*tch and a wh*re to her face and she'd simply laugh about it.

Sliding a bent previously broken finger along her jaw, she to had her own opinions of humanity and they weren't good opinions either. "Totally wussed screaming masses. I'd be able to do my own job far easier if we didn't have to spend so much time with crowd control. Last three times we couldn't even rely on the cops, they were just as bad. Which is saying something bad really, although there were one or two who did help. Next time a Kaiju show up, I'm gonna use civvies for bait." Joking again but it did have some merit which brought out a totally mirthless evil grin. "Now Quinn here, if I had him out of that damned suit, I'm sure I could find some use for him." Was it time to laugh out loud? She elbowed him rather a little too hard.

"Lennox, I have this perverse aversion to being locked up in a metal suit. Call me chicken I don't really care, but there is something about that, that scares me more than facing down a Kaiju in the flesh. Does that make sense?" The last was for all their benefit.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »

Quinn shook his head in answer to Lennox.  "Not yet unfortunately," he sighed, thinking about his last partner. "At least there hasn't been any attacks recently."  He wouldn't be able to pilot his jaeger without a copilot and so far no one had stepped forward to be that person.  Of course he actually felt bad for that person who did as they would have quite a shock with his life.

He rolled his eyes as Abi jabbed his ribs.  "Sure.  You'd throw me out there for bait," he said with a grin.  Although he knew Abi didn't want anything to do with the suits.  Which surprised him really.  He had no doubt she would be a good pilot if she put her mind to it.

Thaddeus

• Senior Airman
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »

"Lennox, I have this perverse aversion to being locked up in a metal suit. Call me chicken I don't really care, but there is something about that, that scares me more than facing down a Kaiju in the flesh. Does that make sense?"

Lennox chuckled, more so on the sarcastic side than anything. He knew that there were people who were not cut out to be rangers and it had taken a whole lot of sweat, tears and bloodied noses to get to where he has. His gaze moved across the cafeteria, watching as the Marshal interacted with some of the senior members and such before his eyes finally settled on Maddie.

The fact that the two of them were deemed drift compatible was completely out of his league of knowledge, but he had felt the connection when he had to actually put effort into the fight. Lennox suppressed a lopsided smirk as he remained quiet, watching as others had sent glances his way - some judging, he could see the look of disapproval (for some had been the victim of a good punch to the nose during a scuffle) on their faces.

"Looks like someone doesn't approve of the Marshal's choosing," Lennox started towards the PPDC member. "What's the matter, grumps? Kaiju got your tongue?"

Cynadea

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »

Not really, it doesn’t. I rather be in a large metal suit and able to punch the damn thing and do some damage, than to be about the size of a bee without the benefit of being able to even sting...” Maddie said to Abigail’s question. It might have been rhetorical and Maddie figured that she probably wouldn’t be happy with her answer, but Maddie had the habit to go for truth and remain faithful to herself, rather than to lie and spare sensibilities, which truly didn’t spare anything if the lie was figured out later.

Madison cast a glance toward her new partner over her shoulder and did a double take. She lifted a hand to stall a reply from Abi to her comment, if she meant to make one and took a few steps toward Lennox before wrapping her arm around his waist. She slipped between him and whoever he was trying to pick a fight with, the front of her right shoulder pressing just gently below his. It was one of the few contacts between them that was not combat related. It was meant to slow him, stop him, but if he really pushed against her, she would be hard-pressed to stop him without picking a fight.

Lennox.” She called out to get his attention and then lowered her tone so that he would be the only one to hear what she had to say. “Lennox, you won. We have our seats in Striker Eureka. Why does it matter if they don’t approve? You have nothing to prove to them. Don’t pick a fight, Ranger, don’t screw this up for both of us. Pick your battles, remember?” She said softly, in reference to something that she had said in their earlier discussion.
Pages: [1] 2 3

lethal-pageant