Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lugard Road Caemlyn-Whitebridge Gate and the Four Kings  (Read 2152 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 235
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Lugard Road Caemlyn-Whitebridge Gate and the Four Kings
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:03:41 AM »

From Salidar to Camelyn, one eventually comes to the Lugard road then eventually to the town of Four Kings. Somewhere between that village and the Whitebridge Gates lay many small and large farms. There were also many camps of soldiers from different nations of the world gathering to counter the forces of the dark one.

One small farm lay empty, the fields trampled flat, this was the home of Banald Eton, a man who discovered he could touch the source; he now resides in the new Black Tower with his family.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:08:08 PM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
Lugard Road Caemlyn-Whitebridge Gate and the Four Kings
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:33 AM »

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

<<From Altara>>

As much as she hated doing anything as far as locomotion was concerned that didn't involve her feet, Corese could see there was a certain tactical advantage being perched up as high as they were on this 'wagon'. Maybe having a horse draw a carriage, a smaller one perhaps that could be used for fighting might make its appearance one day, at least that was how the Maiden in her was thinking. Still the matter at hand. "I would imagine we proceed to this tavern, The Queen's Blessing was it not?" Though as simple as that sounded, even though she knew that there were thousands of soldiers and indeed Aeil warriors around, there were still Dark Friends, run of the mill bandits, White Cloaks and possibly even servants of Shaitan to contend with in that two mile ride. The thought barely had a moment to gather in her mind when a small band of shadowy figures appeared in front of them. About six, armed as far as she could see in the darkness, men. They were about a hundred yards away.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:08:27 PM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai

XARXU

• Airman First Class
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • XARXU A new starter.
  • Wheel of Time RPer
Re: Lugard Road Caemlyn-Whitebridge Gate and the Four Kings
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »

"...and I told him that the fair-eyed, fair-haired stranger, with his shoufa - that's what they're called, by the way - was not a man to be trifled with, but the fool just pulls out his sword and charges. Two of us charged at Lothan, knowing full well what those Aiel are capable of, and I was fortunate enough to cross the distance between the two of them. I don't think I've ever moved so fast in my life!"

An otherwise imposing and intimidating group of men was advancing in their direction, but the dark and forboding vibe they may have otherwise cast, was slightly ruined by the man walking in the middle of them, with long, oily, wavy hair, light brown skin, and eyes that seemed to shine like pale gold in the afternoon sun. They were all dressed in all black, all of them men, and the man in the middle was the 2nd tallest of them, with the tallest looming behind him, almost a head and a half taller, a giant of a man whose stature almost compared to an Ogier's, but whose sunken eyes and jutting brow ridge gave him an almost neanderthall look to him, although those eyes, half-lidded as they were, belied a shrewd intelligence not mirrored in the eyes of the talkative one in front of him. One of the other men, a few inches shorter than the chatty one in the center, had hair like rose gold and looked to have barely seen sixteen Summers, while the others were already sporting a patch or more of gray or white at their temples and sideburns.

As they came closer to the ladies who had already been there, their procession halted, but not by the direction of the man in the center; in fact, although he stopped with the others, perhaps intuitively sensing that their walk had come to a temporary end, he did not stop his talking, nor his wild gesticulating with his hands. If he noticed them, he gave no sign of it.

"I don't think Lothan saw the gleam in that Aiel's eyes, nor the hand-spear that was in his hand, which I confess..I did not see him reach for. Another second, and I think Lothan would've had the pointy edge of that spear poking through his throat! I caught him just in time and dropped him on his arse. He resents me to this day for that, but I'd rather he resent me while alive, than not resent me from a grave."

His head suddenly jerked in the direction of the woman, and his jovial expression stiffened, and his face became impassive, his eyes sharp and alert. It was odd, it wasn't the hard, fierce look the other men had on their faces, but rather an impassive, almost mechanical expression, as though something more animal, more aware, had just switched place with the jovial goofball who had been chatting away only moments ago.

"Mind your manners, gentlemen.." Maximillion said quietly, stepping from his place in the center of the group, and walking slowly towards the women.

"..and be on your guard."

He said it quietly enough, but where the women could probably just barely hear his words. It wasn't deliberate, he had fully meant for only the men to hear him say that. He was only about four feet in front of the rest of his comerades' general positions, when he stopped abruptly. It would look like he was mulling something over inwardly, but in reality, his throat had began to tighten, and his mouth felt dry.

Too late to play it off, someone say something!!! he thought, feeling his cheeks burn hot while he stood there, awkwardly.

Well, if my hunch is correct, I should probably wait to be addressed first.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:08:34 PM by XARXU »

CHARACTER LIST

• | Mazim (Wheel of Time RP)
  --
  --
  --
  --
  --

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Robert Laurel is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 09:13:09 PM »

Elaine pulled the wagon up short as she spotted the shadowy figures in front of them. Her longsword and bow were within easy reach, but she didn't move toward them. As she looked, something nagged at her, something deep in her memory that finally came bubbling to the surface. She has never see men of these type before, but she has heard plenty about them. Giving them a slightly sly look, she spoke out. "Asha'man of the Black Tower, I presume."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 01:06:55 AM »

Two things happened, first Corese could hear the man taking, then ever so calmly Elaine announced that they might have been Ashaman, Al-Thor's soldiers from his secretive black tower. For her, a man who could channel meant instant death, yet they were fighting a menace from the dark one far more dangerous than that and she knew it. There was a very long lecture only three days ago given by Leane on the very subject, one which Corese paid very close attention to. 'If you find one, do all that you can to ensure he finds his way to Rand before that man finds the Black Tower'. It was said that someone else had begun taking control of that place, someone who wasn't exactly working for the cause but for themselves; while the young woman knew nothing of that, she decided that a little caution with added curiosity wouldn't go astray.

There was a risk though, these men may not be exactly what Elaine thought. The Light only knew that Corese was more ignorant of Wetlanders than she cared to admit. Embracing the source, she held just a smidgin of a binding weave of air in place, just in case. "Upon a dark night such as this traveler, I would have assumed one would be heading for Caemlyn, rather than away from it." One free hand slipped behind the wagon seat to grab the spear that wasn't there, silently she cursed under breath. Still she had her knives. "If you mean us no harm, perhaps you could tell us what lies ahead?" Nothing like a little diplomacy Amys taught her.
Far Dareis Mai

XARXU

• Airman First Class
  • XARXU A new starter.
  • Wheel of Time RPer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »

Maximillion
Asha'man

From the start, there was something odd about how these people in front of them made Maximillion feel. True, as a result of his close relationship with Saidar, he got funny feelings about a lot of things, but a man without heritage or charisma didn't live to see nearly thirty Winters, without having strong instincts and trusting them. As he slowly approached them, making sure to maintain a safe distance, he reflected that his first impression had been that they were being approached by young boys, young enough to have not grown any facial hair, nor definitively masculine features. This was a strange place for boys to travel, dangerous too, even if they were in a group. To do so, they would either have to be foolish, or formidable; the foolish weren't likely to live long, while the formidable would probably live long enough to achieve a full beard and 'stache in five to eight Summers' time.
Maximillion was thought of as paranoid by some, but whether or not he was, his vigilance (or hypervigilance) had kept him alive. When he suddenly felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end, and gooseflesh spread along his arms, his eyes suddenly hardened, and he embraced Saidin instinctively, weaves being made before he was even aware he was doing it. These instincts were hammered in hard by the powers-that-be at the Black Tower, but Maximillion was still not the type to leap headfirst into an altercation, when words would serve much better.

I cannot see the flow of Saidin around them, nor are any of the tell-tale signs there, so it must be...
"Saidar." He said simply. He hadn't noticed the tension, and the swiftening breaths of his companions at first, wrapped up in his thoughts and observations, but when he felt the others next to him embrace Saidin as well, Maximillion turned towards them and performed a rapid series of hand gestures. An Aiel would probably recognize them, though for them to be used by a Wetlander, would probably be like watching a man suddenly flip onto his head and walk with his ears.

All but one of the men looked at Maximillion's gestures like he'd gone mad, but the huge lug walking at their rear laid a hand on the shoulders of the two men in front of him, and whispered something, the occasional word like "....not smart..." and "...hasty..." could be faintly heard, but the towering man did a remarkable job of being discreet. With reluctance, all of the men but the tallest one released Saidin, and the larger man - oddly, appearing the 'voice of reason' sort - held onto Saidin warily, but made neither any moves, nor exhibited any body language, to indicate he was about to take the offensive.

It would feel like his blood had turned to ice once he realized that the person in front of him - the eyes, the hair - may have been Aiel. Was she? He couldn't rightly tell. If so, he may have just played a foolish hand, as she would now see him as... Hush! He scolded himself, inwardly. Stop overthinking, and address the matter at hand!
"We mean no harm, but we won't stand for any unnecessary aggression either." Maximillion said simply, spreading his arms outwards in an amiable gesture to indicate that he came in peace.

"As for what lies on the Lugard Road, I wouldn't say much does, unless you the occasional spattering of Whitecloaks, merchants and their guards, and the occasional stranger either a woman in single-color robes, or a man dressed all in black."

There was a gentle grunting noise, and Maximillion looked at his larger companion, who was giving him a pointed look, that seemed to say guard your tongue, you don't know these people, and the former turned back to the people in front of him.

"How about we travel together for a bit, your party and I? I have the distinct impression we both have questions that could use answering, and this would not be the place to airily discuss sensitive topics. Besides, I just have to inquire as to where you got such warm and comfortable-looking garments from."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:53:09 PM by XARXU »

CHARACTER LIST

--
  --
  --
  --
  --

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 05:47:11 PM »

"So much for our disguise." Corese mumbled to her companion Elaine.  "We'd best be accommodating I think." With an easy sideways rolling motion she was off the wagon landing softly on her Aiel booted feet, her swift steps taking her the short distance to stand opposite the stranger. At that instant she saw him fully, her eyes widened considerably, the man was huge a veritable beast at least that was her first impression. Standing considerably taller than her 'father', as tall as Aybara though not quite as thick set, though solid enough. Instantly she let go of Saidar as she read his 'maiden talk'. That in itself was most unusual which told her he had at least some recent cordial dealings with her kind; if not he would be dead. A romantic connection perhaps? That was a thought, several of her sisters had taken up with Wetlander warriors in one way or another.

So gesturing in return, the moon had appeared from behind a cloud casting a rather pretty light over the area, she replied. That should ease any first impressions. "Well met stranger, my water is yours." But to the crux of the matter, being who she was, despite their reputation, the Aiel were far more polite than people gave them credit for. "I am Corese al-Rhuarc Nine Valleys sept of the Taardad..." She tilted her head behind her. "...my companion is Elaine Treherne of Andor. We are heading towards the Queen's Blessing, do you know it?" There was no reason at this point to hide who they were, although she stopped short of saying why they were going there. "We would welcome the company, since it has been some time since we have been here in Caemlyn, as you say, there are questions and we mayhap have many. Are you correct in assuming you are the  Car'a'carn's soldiers?" She had not seen them before, yet she had heard so much about them, her interest was piqued suitably.

The question made Corese realise her attire as a free hand patted the coat. Removing the ridiculous hat which allowed her golden mane to fall she smiled innocently, a smile that could kill either way. "We have friends from the Two Rivers, the clothing was gifted to us."

Far Dareis Mai

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »

Elaine looked the strangers over carefully, then made her decision. Their leader looked like a worthy man at least. It would be good to have the added company. "Yes, please. The company would be welcome and we can learn from each other as to how things fare here these days."

XARXU

• Airman First Class
  • XARXU A new starter.
  • Wheel of Time RPer
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »

It was a tense situation, and at least of the two Asha'man in the group (including Maximillion) realized that this went for the women as well. The world was generally, in Maximillion's opinion, unkind towards women. Although most people in the world seemed to distrust people who could channel, the men who made up the Asha'man were received a little more warmly than Aes Sedai generally were. Men with great power, even with all the rumors about Madness and whatnot included, were seen as a given; women, on the other hand, were called 'Witches' (in the term's derogatory form), and were treated with distrust.

Maximillion wouldn't argue that the Sisters of the White Tower had imposed their will over villages, towns and cities, as though their influence somehow superceded that of Kings and Queens, but the Asha'man of blended heritage had become good at sizing up a person, and whether their distrust was based upon reason or superstition, and the most uninspiring sources of the distrust for Aes Sedai were from men whose behavior and general mannerisms implied they were used to women being subservient and obedient, not willful and unyielding.

"My comrades and I could use a drink to cleanse the dirt and dust from the road, a meal, and a warm fire to warm ourselves. If you know of a place, I have a couple of Silvers that will make it all possible."

After exchanging greetings with the ladies on the road, and introducing himself as 'Maximillion', he introduced his comrades by name ((will flesh out their identities later)) including the one youth, the two middle aged men, and the man who towered behind them all.

"And you are- wait! Let's get headed in the direction of an Inn, and talk as we walk. I can't help but feel like we make for a conspicuous bunch, standing about like this and talking like we own the road. And..." he gestured towards the cap the lady with the beautiful, flowing hair had just taken off. "...you should be alright now, with us gentlemen at your sides, but between you and me"... he came a bit closer, just barely enough where his voice wouldn't carry to the strangers on the road. "....a few boys in the company of larger men, especially with the 'older men' wearing these black coats and reputations, might make for a bit more intimidating site, should any shifty types see us walking along our way."

((gave up on text formatting and Rich Text Editors, for the time being, so speech text isn't colored, other than being the color black, for the time being. :p))

CHARACTER LIST

--
  --
  --
  --
  --

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »

<<To Caemlyn City>>

"Maiden of the Spear. " She said proudly, finishing his question. "Do not fear though Ma...Maximillion, according to my companion here and the Aes Sedai of Altara, I have been somewhat tamed." That was a pure lie, but it didn't hurt to soothe a stranger's apprehension and misgivings about her people. With her head cocked in that curious way of hers as if she was listening to someone or something, she took in with one quick glance the man's followers and in that very quick appraisal she knew immediately they were who Elaine said they were, for now she could see the collar pins.

With a roll of her shoulders, she 'clicked' her neck, something she often did before a challenge, not that there was one, nor she hoped in the immediate would there be one until at least they set upon the journey that would take them north. No point in nursing cuts and bruises before the battle, there was time yet to wash the spears. "That would make interesting tales would it not, your men, Elaine and I accosted by a group of bandits, or worse. It would make a pleasant evening all the more enjoyable don't you think." Aiel did after all have the most peculiar sense of humor. "Would it then be not more suitable for you and your men to ride in our wagon, thus presenting a less threatening visage for anyone who may see us? At least until we reach the Tavern? Elaine do you not think so?" After all, it was her who procured the thing in the first place.
Far Dareis Mai

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:19 PM »

"Corese, I'm afraid that they would have to sit on the trade goods and it would be an uncomfortable ride," Elaine replied. She looked Maximilian over. He had the look and moves of a trained soldier. A soldier who had experience. He no doubt had recognized her as a fellow soldier right off., "Elaine Treherne. Captain of the Tower Guard. My oaths are to the real Amyrlin Seat, not the fraud who sits in the White Tower."

XARXU

• Airman First Class
  • XARXU A new starter.
  • Wheel of Time RPer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »

[Taking some initiative, as suggested by Mim :D)

Maximillion nodded, and the men would all make their arrangements among themselves, then join the women, and their trip would continue to Caemlyn, more or less without incident. The men would take shifts, with one walking in the rear and two on each side, with the remaining two riding in the wagon with whichever of the women was riding in the wagon at the time.

Their ride would go, more or less, uneventfully, up until they were only about a day's ride from Caemlyn.

"Ahhh..." Maximillion breathed a sigh of relief as he got out of the wagon, and stretched his legs.

"It sure does feel good to stretch!!!"

The sun was barely touching the horizon, but they had arranged to set up camp a couple of leagues away from the road, so as to avoid drawing too much unwanted attention from the road, but also to be near enough to it in case they needed to break camp quickly and continue along their way.

Damun was helping the women unload some of the supplies that would be used for a cookfire, for their tents, and everything else. Kavin and Ranod were talking amongst themselves about something that no one could hear, despite their closy proximity - a Ward against Eavesdropping, courtesy of Saidin, perhaps? - and Reid was standing next to Maximillion as the latter had a spyglass to his eye, the former talking on and on about how beautiful the women are - "I'd thought those boys looked uncomfortably pretty!" - the entire time. This was not Maximillion's first time seeing Aes Sedai, but as he scanned the perimeter of their camp for any signs of danger, he couldn't help but notice that something in the way the more tan, bright eyed woman had moved and walked. Something about it had reminded him of the way his father carried himself, always poised like a tightly pressed spring ready to be sprung, but in a way that seemed to second-nature that it almost seemed 'relaxed' at the same time. He had been deep in his thoughts about this, ignoring all but every third word that came out of Reid's mouth, until he suddenly stiffened, crammed the Spyglass into his jackets, then pivoted on his heel. He shoved Reid towards the camp, the young man's eyes wide open, wondering what had just happened, but already loping obediently towards the camp, then Maximillion followed on his tail.

"We've got a problem, folks." He said calmly. Although his face was impassive, there was an intensity to his eyes that would betray the alarm he felt.

"I have no idea what brought them so far out, nor do I know why they're so daring, but we've got a band of Trollocs coming our way, and judging by the sense of urgency in their approach, it looks like they know we're here!"

CHARACTER LIST

--
  --
  --
  --
  --

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 06:01:17 PM »

At the word trollocs Elaine reached back into the wagon and drew her sword out of the scabbard. There wasn't going to be any time to put on her armor. She ran up beside the man who seemed to be the leader of the asha'man and followed his gaze. Elaine immediately dropped into guard stance and waited for the enemy to come into reach.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »

"I would have them run naked through the waste at midday, now that would be a pretty sight." Corese quipped when the subject of the men's discomfort came up.

Like a startled Waste lizard, Corese's head snapped up, a fire in her eyes. It was the very name 'Trollocs' that had cursed her, sent her life as a Maiden spiraling out of her hands; it was because of them she was being sent on a path not of her own choosing. They had Toh to her in a very big way, but then again she was well aware they had no honor either. The other thing was that where there were Trollocs, there to you would find a Myrddraal, the faceless men that pushed and cajoled the Trollocs into battle. Essentially they were a lazy tribe, if it were not for the Dark One's servants, the Trollocs would just be loose bands of ravagers, seeking easy prey where they could to sate their never ending carnivorous appetites.

Without a spear though, Corese felt naked, not a Maiden at all; which Amys and Leane had been constantly reminding her that was no longer her calling. She had a duty now, firstly to become a Wise One, then to her people and finally to the Car'a'carn, at least one male she had a modicum of respect for, even if she didn't approve of his apparent roving eye when it came to women. She was not opposed to her sister sharing him with Elayne Trakand, she was after all first sister to Aviendha; but then he added Min Farshaw and he had bonded Alanna Mosvani, whom she had no doubt he had most likely bedded as well.

She had her knives though, she was fast and could well duck in between the reach of a Trolloc. But a Myrddraal that was another thing altogether. It was strange to, the passage of time. She wondered in reflection where had an entire day and night gone. The pace of the journey from the farm to the city had been slow of course, she put that down to the wagon and horses. For if it were her alone on her own two feet she would have been in the city earlier that morning. "Let them come to us. I know these dogs, they fear resistance and they fear a forced fight even more. I will take care of the Myrddraal, for surely the Trolloc will not move let alone fight without one." She squinted into the fading light to judge their numbers, it was far too early to judge and this close to the city was a problem to; looking back over her shoulder she could see the first spires of the city wall beyond the next rise in the road.

Far Dareis Mai

Cynadea

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »

Avalyn came out of the portal exactly where she meant for them to be. The fields had not been sown by farmer, but there was dried or dying weed all around them. The grass where she stood was high, above her ankles. She pulled the horse away, hoping that the rickety barn that stood askew a few paces away would shield the portal from possible witnesses. Avalyn pulled the horse away from the gate to make way for the two that she expected to come through.

There seemed to be some activity down the road, but even with Saidar firmly in her grasp the best that she could tell in the fading light was that the group was garbed in dark garb. Aiel, perhaps, or Asha’man. Something told her that it was neither of these groups; even from that far Avalyn could tell they seemed both too tall and oddly shaped. “By the light! Trollocs? Here?” Avalyn knew that she was a shining beacon for the halfman driving the beasts toward Caemlyn. She would have to be quite wary, or else the band might turn their way. While she was not one to shy away from battle, she wasn’t a fool to run into one unprepared and outnumbered, while holding onto the only link that guaranteed her reinforcements.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

lethal-pageant