Lost Worlds Sci-fi and Fantasy Forum

All Stargate Series => Stargate Atlantis => M35-117 => Topic started by: Staff-Team on June 07, 2014, 12:41:36 PM

Title: The Mainland
Post by: Staff-Team on June 07, 2014, 12:41:36 PM
| The uncharted landmass of M35-117 |
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 15, 2017, 02:53:26 AM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

<<From Atlantis>>

(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese groaned good naturedly.  "And to think I would be safe in here," she laughed.  She had never been in a jumper before but she was pretty sure Mel wouldn't purposely put them on danger.  She blinked a bit.  "Sounds really impressive."  Reese had no idea what she was in for as Mel set to work on starting the jumper.  She pressed back into her seat, amazed by what was going on.

 For a long moment Mel said nothing as she focused her mind on flying the Jumper, she was still relatively speaking a novice pilot in that area but a good one with Colonel Sheppard allowing her to go solo after only two flights with either he or Major Lorne. She had her Puddle wings so to speak, which Mel naturally thought was far far superior to the SAAB trainer she learned to fly in the RDAF Reserves. Unfortunately she never got to transfer to the F16b, but she didn't think she was missing anything; besides she was a Vet first, leave the jet jockying to those who want it. "Safer than houses Reese. You won't even know we're flying other than the scenery passing beneath us." In less than five minutes they were coming down again, Mel making a nice soft touch about three hundred meters away from the Athosian camp. It was business as usual there, no one really took any notice when a Jumper arrived such was the regularity of the event. "First thing we'll do is go find Teyla, then after that whichever comes first, human or animal patients."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 15, 2017, 08:10:30 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese couldn't help but marvel at the little jumper.  She had never seen anything like it before.  And Mel was right, she didn't even notice it moving as they headed out.  Technology.  There sure was a lot out there.  Even the landing was smooth.  'Wow, that was smooth and easy," she agreed.  "Okay, sounds like a plan to me."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 15, 2017, 11:55:06 PM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

 The rear door dropped onto the soft soil quietly, even the mechanism that controlled the door was rather quiet, unlike the noisy hydraulics of earth powered things. Mel tapped Reese on the shoulder as she left her seat, picking up her bag along the way from the rear compartment. "Well we won't have to go far." She said happily as Teyla was headed directly to them. The Athosian hugged both of them quickly in turn.

(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/b0c443f1-55c0-4c20-9cd9-4d1060490da3_zpscqtjootv.jpg)

 "Reese, Melinda I am so happy to see you both. I wonder if this is providence that you should come now." She said after releasing Mel. Her head cocked back behind her some distance away.

 "Oh, why I wonder Teyla?" Mel was curious, the alien woman was much like many that were not from Earth, their speech often tinged with hints more than being direct.

 The woman started walking even before she replied. "A double event. Elia is going into labor and so is one of our cows, now how unique is that?" She was grinning from ear to ear by now.

 Melinda muttered something unknown in Danish, shaking her head. "And here I was Reese thinking we'd have an easy day of it."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 16, 2017, 08:23:18 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese's eyes widened in surprise when the door didn't make a sound.  Wow, they would have to figure out to make that work for earth.  there was definitely a lot to learn she was fast finding out.  Reese followed Mel's indication, seeing Teyla heading toward them.

She returned Teyla's hug, but wasn't so sure about her being so excited that they were there.  Mel asked the question though before she could.  She silently groaned. So much for an easy trip where she could get used to things.

"Well, it certainly won't be boring," she said with a smile.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 20, 2017, 03:20:53 AM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/b0c443f1-55c0-4c20-9cd9-4d1060490da3_zpscqtjootv.jpg)

 Obviously there had to be a balance here, Reese needed Melinda to assist and vise versa, neither could do their jobs effectively entirely on their own. In truth they could, it was simply regulations in place dictated that under both circumstances both Doctors had to have that assistance at hand. "So....okay Teyla, who is more advanced, the heifer or the woman?"

 "Elia has time, her contractions haven't quite begun as yet. The cow started early this morning, she could have managed the birth on her own, but I think the calf is turned."

 That wasn't good, both mother and baby may not survive. "Reese, looks like my baby first then. Ever seen a breeched birth before?" Totally weird, the Vet had to get her arms completely into the cervix to turn the calf's head around. Messy business but so rewarding in the end.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 20, 2017, 08:49:28 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese couldn't believe she was going to have to assist in a birth already.  Watching Mel and helping where she could was going to be interesting.  Helping the woman who had gone into labor was going to take a lot out of her.  She still didn't know much about the ones here on Atlantis, but apparently she was going to be learning quickly and her oath as a doctor wouldn't allow her to turn her back.

She nodded.  "No, I have not, but you just tell me what you need and I'll be there to help."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 22, 2017, 02:57:53 AM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/b0c443f1-55c0-4c20-9cd9-4d1060490da3_zpscqtjootv.jpg)

 "Won't lie to you, its not exactly what I'd call fun, but... it is something you'll never forget in a hurry." Mel tapped Teyla on the shoulder. "Lead the way Teyla, and please have some one fetch some hot water, towels and a soft rope."

 Teyla looked at the younger woman curiously, why did she need rope? She didn't hesitate though, calling one of the  youngsters over then sending them off quickly. "She's this way." As she spoke, Teyla began a light jog, taking Reese and Melinda through the small village that had grown then down to an area near the river where the cattle were kept. Under a lean to, the young cow lay among straw, pain was obvious on her gentle face.

"We'll need some men and boys here Teyla, I have to get her to stand."

 Nodding her understanding, Teyla left them quickly to round up as many as she could. While she was gone, Mel began by getting Reese to do some basic things. "Check her heart Reese, it should be steady and around 100 beats per minute."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 22, 2017, 08:09:37 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese had no doubt it would be something she wouldn't forget.  And it was certainly different then anything she had faced on Atlantis so far.  It almost felt normal and for that she was grateful.

Reese followed the others through the city and down into the fields.  Her heart went out to the cow that was struggling.  She looked so tired and like she was in so much pain.  She hoped Mel could help the poor creature.

"Got it," Reese said, finding the stethoscope and moving up by the cow.  She talked soothingly to the big answer as she worked on finding a heartbeat.  "She's a bit fast," she informed Mel a few minutes later.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 23, 2017, 01:27:17 AM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

 That wasn't a good sign right from the start, Mel shook her head then went searching through her bag as she knelt beside Reese. "I'm going to give her 10cc's of sodium betaxolol, it'll take effect almost immediately Reese so keep listening for me. I don't wish to distress Teyla and her people so lets see if we can help this poor young cow." She was in a way sympathising with the creature, she knew what it was like for human women having their first child. Mel filled a syringe, cleaned a spot just behind the neck then injected it. "How's she doing now?"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 23, 2017, 08:11:48 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese nodded.  She didn't know much about animals, but she was guessing some things weren't much different between human and beast.  And she knew a faster heart rate was one thing that was bad.  Thankfully it seemed like Mel had that under control as she pulled a syringe out.  Reese moved back by the cow's head.  A smile touched her lips.  "She's back to normal now.  Hopefully she'll stay steady so you can get that baby."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 26, 2017, 05:56:16 PM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)

 "Good job Reese, thank you. I can only hope I'm as much help to you with your little bundle." She had to smile at the thought since this was very much identical to the way she herself started her time on Atlantis, assisting Jennifer with her patients, particularly childbirth, then Jen doing the favor in reverse, it was almost like deju vu with one exception. Mel had never had both human and animal births together, not only on the same day, but they would be within a very short time of each other.

 "Now comes the good part, bringing a new life in to greet the world." Which was provident for her in speaking, Teyla was on the way back with some strong young boys, the items she asked for and indeed a small crowd. "Well.....I never expected an audience!" Her eyes widened when she saw just how many had come down.

(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/b0c443f1-55c0-4c20-9cd9-4d1060490da3_zpscqtjootv.jpg)

 "Neither did I Mel, word soon spread around though that our first cow from Earth was about to give birth, no one wanted to miss that event." The woman did seem quite proud of the event.

 Yes the frozen embryo brought here almost 3 years ago now, placed in a native cow and this was the result. An almost perfect Jersey heifer transported light years away now giving birth to her own, the start of a new generation. "Alright everyone, gather round. We must get her on her feet....hooves." Mel nodded to Reese to hold the halter around the cow's neck as she was encouraged to stand; it took some doing, a lot of mooing, but soon she was up on all fours, her large tummy showing just how close she was, you could also see the pain in her eyes. "Teyla can you take over from Reese please, I'll need her up back with me."

 "Of course." Teyla stepped over and around some of her more enthusiastic people, with everyone wanting to get in close. She shooed some of the away, the poor creature should have some space, otherwise she might start to become fretful. Taking the halter from Reese, Teyla whispered to her. "This both fascinating and terrifying at the same time, I am so glad when my son came along we were at least alone. This.." She pointed to the crowd. "...would be far too much for me."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 27, 2017, 08:34:47 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese smiled a bit.  'I"m sure you'll be fine," she told her new friend.  Although she did hope that both births went well.  She hated think about anything else but good coming from it.  Reese silently stroked the poor mommy cow's neck as she still struggled with her first calf. The poor girl looked worn out already.

Reese looked over as Teyla returned, surprised to see so many with her.    A smile twitched the corners of her lips as Teyla sidled up to her side.  "I would have to agree.  I have never had a child of my own, but if I ever do I do not want an audience," she agreed, letting Teyla take hold of the halter.  She then slipped back beside Mel.  "Point me toward what needs done."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on June 29, 2017, 06:26:49 PM
(http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz37/melanieoz/My%20Sigs%20and%20stuff/MelindaOlofsson2_zps6b53040b.jpg)



 With a quickness that came with experience Mel took the soft rope from one of the kids standing around, then she told those not helping to support the cow to move back and give her some room. "This is the hard part Reese." She had another syringe ready, a muscle relaxant which she injected into the animals read quarters, waited for a few moments as she washed her arms down with anti bacterial wipes. Some of the Athosians looked on with fascination as they watched Mel do the next part; she pushed her arms into the cow's uterus with rope in hand furiously trying to work as fast as she could to eliminate as much discomfort to the mother as possible.

 "Reese, take the ends of the rope and when I say, pull, I want you to gently and with one smooth motion lean back on the rope." Then Mel had the calf's forelegs looped, it was alive still which was a good thing; she did her best to turn the calf around as much as she could, the last thing she wanted to do out here was a cesarean section. "There, got you!" She squealed happily. "Now Reese! I have to guide him...or her out!"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on June 30, 2017, 08:25:25 AM
(http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r723/sorra86/Reese20Prescott_zpskecc2mxh.jpg?t=1480524231)

Reese left the care of the cow in the Athosians hands before moving around to help Mel however she was needed.  She had never aided in the birth of an animal and especially not one this large.  She just hoped the poor cow would be alright.  The brave girl was trying so hard.

"Hard part?" she repeated, moving into position.  That didn't sound good at all.  "Pull?  Oh dear.  You got it though."  Mel hadn't been kidding. This did seem like the hard part.  Reese watched Mel's movements, waiting for her signal.  At the word Reese leaned back on the rope, trying to be gentle yet firm as she pulled back on the rope.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on July 24, 2017, 10:49:33 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 It was all over in mere seconds as the baby calf came out quite easily once he, yes it was a bull calf, was free of his Mom's uterus. Of course he was quite well covered in the baby's 'mess' as Mel called it, but mother would take care of that as nature dictated. Gently unwinding the rope, checking to ensure they didn't break any bones of course, Mel then picked him up to lay him at the nose of his new Mom. All the while she went through the whole procedure quietly and stoically with little a murmur. The Athosians all stood staring, for them this was a first. "We did it!" Mel exclaimed as she high fived her friend. "And you Reese did damned fabulously, if you ever want to change your calling let me know."

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 Teyla let go of the young cow to rush around to see the baby, for although Mel hadn't announced the gender of him, she soon saw for herself they now and a bull calf to add to their numbers and a bright young brown and white thing he was too. "I am tempted to call him Rodney you know." She said half serious, half jokingly.
 
 "Now that would be a face I'd love to see if he heard about it Teyla."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on July 25, 2017, 09:20:34 AM
Reese grinned broadly as Mel was able to deliver a healthy calf.  She returned her friend's high five.  'I'm glad that went as smoothly as it did and I will certainly let you know,' she laughed.  she had considered being a vet before following in the doctor path instead.  She just prayed that the woman they would be visiting next went as smoothly.

Reese smothered a laugh behind her hand.  "Please do.  I want to see his face."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on July 27, 2017, 12:50:59 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 The Athosian grinned broadly, it was a perfect set up and quite frankly, McKay should be proud to think he'd be associated with the next generations of the future for the Athosian's live stock program; one which would it was hoped bring them a decent conduit for trade to other allied worlds. "Rodney it is then. I think we can leave mother and baby now for a while, Reese if you'd like to clean up, you as well Melinda, I'll take you to the next new mother. Come with me." Straight forward as always.

 Teyla led them back out into the open, then down towards the main camp of more permanent dwellings, some even now being made of baked mud brick, even with glassed windows. She took them to a single dwelling that had a central chimney blowing smoke from the top. "This is our female bathing house, there will be towels and all you need within." She opened the door to reveal both a steam bath affair and four large iron tubs. "You'll have to pour for yourselves though girls, there is hot water and cold from those faucets by the far wall."

 "Wow." That was about all Mel could manage. She had been here many times, but never to bathe. To her eyes it was like being home in the high country where people still did things in the old way. "Genuine wow factor here Teyla, thank you." She stood aside for Reese to get a good look in before taking the plunge.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on July 27, 2017, 08:35:55 AM
Reese grinned broadly.  "Perfect.  And he is such a cutie."  She wanted to be somewhere close when McKay heard what the new baby's name was.  Although the name did seem to fit the calf quite well even if McKay wasn't pleased with it.

As they left the mom and baby to settle in Reese was all smiles.  That had gone well.  She just prayed that the next birth did as well.  A birth could be a joyous occasion most times, but every once in a while there were issues and Reese hoped this wasn't going to be one of those times.  She stopped as they reached another building, her eyes widening. She had never seen anything quite like it before.

"Wow," she agreed, peaking around Mel.  "This is very impressive."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on July 31, 2017, 12:28:52 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 "Very." Mel had that look on her face that said she was going to enjoy a mere five minute break to remove all that cow muck from her and everything else that went with bringing a new life into the world. They didn't of course bring a clean set of clothes naturally but they could easily fix that by having Teyla get on the radio to Atlantis to have someone drop some over. In fact she was thinking that very thing before she stepped inside. "Teyla how close are we with our human mother do you think?"

 (https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 The Athosian woman thought for a moment then replied cheerily. "About two or three hours I would say why?"

 "Our clothes are filthy. Do you think you could call Alecia up and have her send someone over with a clean change for both of us. We can't very well go delivering a baby naked...well not in our culture at least." She pushed Reese inside quickly, two or three hours wasn't all that long in the grand scheme of things. "We shall not be going native Reese...hopefully."

 "Nor ours. Just a moment." She walked a short way from the bathroom, tapping her radio Coms. "Atlantis, this is Teyla on the mainland. Melinda and Reese are in need of a fresh change of clothes. Do you have someone available who could convey them over to them please?"

(https://i.imgfly.me/2bW9v.jpg)

*radio*

 "Stand by Teyla, I will see who is available."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on July 31, 2017, 02:09:04 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese flushed at the mere thought.   "I would rather not consider going that way either," she agreed. That would be horrible in her opinion.  She didn’t get a chance to say anymore as Mel pushed her inside.  It would be great to get cleaned up before the baby came.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 02, 2017, 09:24:54 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2bW9v.jpg)

*Radio*

  "Teyla, we'll have someone there very shortly."

 (https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)
   
 There was no need for her to reply, Teyla slipped back to where her friends were waiting quickly. "Someone will be out here shortly, I'd suggest you bathe as fast as you can, you can always put your dirty clothes back on temporarily can't you?"

 (https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Melinda had to giggle just a little at Reese, she'd be quite blown away if ever the chance came to take her back to Denmark one day. "Back home we still have some of the old Victorian era bath houses, there is no gender separation there Reese." That certainly would have come as a shock; not of course that Mel had ever visited one. "Thanks Teyla, that wouldn't be necessary, we can simply wrap a towel around ourselves until we have our clean clothes." She said casually as Teyla returned to them.

 "True. Shouldn't be long."

 Moments later, Mel was filling large buckets of hot water to transfer into the tubs, it was heavy going yet pleasurable work she thought. With both tubs filled, she began to remove the dirty clothes so she could soak all those aches and pains away.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 03, 2017, 08:37:00 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese turned to her new friend in horror.  'Seriously?  No separation at all?"  Oh she wasn't so sure she could handle that.  Getting down and dirty was one thing, but bathing with the opposite gender was something she wasn't so sure she could or wanted to try.  Although the bath they were in front of right now looked very tempting.

"Yes a towel will do for a bit if necessary.  I really don't want to have to wiggle back into our dirty clothes unless we have no choice."  She knew that the poor mother in labor could need them at any moment so dirty clothes it just might be.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 03, 2017, 10:32:31 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 Keeping guard by the door, Teyla listened to the conversation between the younger women, to her it was rather entertaining hearing of such things. When the subject came up concerning bathing rituals she smiled, having learned much of Earth, in her world with her people she was considered something of an expert on the subject. "Girls, may I add that I know from watching much of your world on the screens back on Atlantis, I was particularly fascinated with the culture of the people from that land you call Japan; is not their rituals for bathing much the same as your own Mel?"


(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 "See Reese, there you go. Teyla is right. I must admit that it is in many cultures even though the tradition is perhaps quite old. Whereas some countries do have very strict formal structures for such things; other's keep the genders as far apart as possible." She pulled up some interesting facts. "Its absurd really, for in most western countries that can boast of swimming beaches, women are freely allowed to go about topless. For me, no, it isn't something I would even contemplate, its hard enough fending off the male species as it is. I'm right on that aren't I Reese?"

 "Topless? Oh dear no, I can't imagine that." Teyla added.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 04, 2017, 08:28:19 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese rolled her eyes.  Yes, she had heard of some of those beaches and really had heard about some of the old customs.  They were things she would never do herself though.  She was much too self conscious for that.  The blonde laughed.  "Yes, you have a very good point there.  No sense in giving them even more reason to chase after us," she grumbled.  Just once she would like to meet someone who liked her for her and not her looks.  "I refuse to ever go topless or try one of those nude beaches I've heard about.  Just what possesses people to want to do that in the first place?"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 07, 2017, 01:54:23 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 At least all three women were on the same page, that could only be a good thing in Melinda's mind. It was one thing being something of an idiot kid when she was young, but at least she still possessed her scruples, a sense of decency and morals; even if it did go against typical Scandinavian culture. She had spent more time away from Denmark in any case, she considered herself to be more a child of Earth rather than simply her homeland, no matter how patriotic she was. "You know, even when I do go swimming, whether its the beach or a public pool, I've always for some reason worn a one piece suit. Its funny really, I've never even owned a bikini, unless of course you count my track two piece; that is possibly as risque as I'll ever get."

 She had no qualms though in regard to stripping off in front of other women, even as the last words slipped from her mouth, Mel was practically undressed, her underwear then came off then in the next instant she was in the tub, suitably covered by the wonderful hot water.

 While the girls were talking more, Teyla scanned the skies for any sign of a Puddle Jumper; she'd see it before she heard its familar sounds. She popped her head back in. "If I were you two, I'd be quick. I doubt Amelia will be sending a woman out here, you Mel are the only female Jumper pilot she could call on in a hurry in any case."

 "Too true." Mel called out as her golden head slipped beneath the now sudsed water.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 08, 2017, 09:14:21 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese pulled a face as she finished undressing and slipping into the inviting water.  "I have never been one for a bikini.  Board shorts and a tank top are my preference," she admitted.  She might have had the body for the a bikini but it wasn't her style.  She sighed in content as the warm water soaked into her dirty skin.

"What?  Seriously?  you're the only female who can pilot one of those?" she asked, looking over at her new friend.  Oh that couldn't be good then since it meant a male would be there any moment.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on August 08, 2017, 07:48:43 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

>>From Atlantis>>

Flying the Jumper solo wasn't a big deal for Evan, in fact he preferred it most of the time being one of those loner types who didn't seek out the company of others too often unless he needed specifically to either talk to someone, or simply spend a few moments with a like minded human being. The Athosians on the other hand were special to him, with many of them sharing his love of being outside and his artistic bent; they seemed to appreciate that more than his comrades back in the Ancient city, hence his enthusiasm whenever he returned here.

For him, once over the coastline, it took all of a few minutes to find the other Jumper, just on the edge of the settlement. He landed beside the other craft, promptly gathering his things and the pack Amelia gave him for Olofsson and Prescott. Despite his misgivings about people in general, those two had a soft spot for on any day. Neither of them had any high opinion of themselves whatsoever, what you saw is what you got.

Several minutes later he was on the wide hard packed gravel path leading towards the center of the village, after asking directions twice he was soon walking up to Teyla. "Greetings from the city Teyla, I bring gifts." He said laconically, dropping the pack at her feet. "How have you been by the way, it must be almost a month since I saw you?" Was it that long? The woman had almost gone into isolation since Jaworski had disappeared.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 11, 2017, 02:40:40 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Outside, guarding door>

 "Greetings in return Major Lorne, I'm happy to see you here again." Teyla was on the cusp of an apology from herself for not being in the city for almost the entire month since they had returned; then she realized that she had done so with Evan three times already over the radio and once on a video conference when John had brought a laptop over. She shut her mouth again before the words fell out, making as if it was nothing. "Yes I know, I have been putting it off, though seeing you here has encouraged me to go back. Can I assume John and his team have gone off world somewhere?" She'd not heard from him in a day, that was unusual. Lifting the pack, she swung it behind her without moving, lest he catch a glimpse of the undressed girls behind her. "Mel, Reese, your things." She shouted back to them.

<In bath>

 Mel bobbed up again, just hearing Reese's words as she did so. She grabbed a bar of the sweet Athosian soap to lather herself over with the soft sponge. "This will make you laugh, my mother who was born in the early sixties was a model before she took up teaching, some of her bikini's were so.....well you get the picture." She laughed, then the bag flew hitting the side of Reese's tub. "Thank you whoever!" She yelled.

 "It's Major Lorne Mel." Teyla yelled back.

 "Thanks Evan!" She added. Then back to the conversation. "No I'm not, there are four other girl in the city. One is injured, two are off world and one had to go home on compassionate leave."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 11, 2017, 08:17:24 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

<In bath>

Reese ducked under the water to wet her hair before grabbing some of the soap.  She turned to her new friend, her blue eyes wide in disbelief.  "Really?  Your mom was a model?  Oh I can only imagine what she had to wear."  Reese laughed at the mental picture before jumping as something hit the side of her tub.  She peeked over the side to see the bag resting against the edge.  'Well at least we won't have to go around in a robe."

She recognized Evan's name, but didn't know him real well as she hadn't been at Atlantis long.  "Wow, I didn't realize."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on August 14, 2017, 10:49:28 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

"I'm more than happy to be here you know." He said casually, letting his own bag fall to the ground. "You've been missed over there Teyla, especially by your team and more so Ronon. He's been down quite a lot since our mission, having you  not with them is kind of putting a bit of a dent in his armor if you know what I mean? I know the Colonel has been here quite often, it isn't the same though is it." With a moments pause he carried on. "Yes about half an hour ago via the Dreadnought. Elle is doing her best, I'm pretty sure she won't let anyone down this time. They're headed for that rebel Genii base I understand."

Hearing his name, Evan recognised the accent. "You're welcome Doctor Olofsson." He found her strange. Intelligent at times charming, but she did have her dark side that manifested in a wicked temper now and then.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 16, 2017, 02:35:53 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Outside, guarding door>

 She was of course feeling somewhat embarrassed knowing that she was keeping her distance from her Earth friends for a good reason; that being Teyla felt she was deeply responsible for Michael's disappearance, even though everyone from Elle to John and Ronon, as well as Lorne had told her to the contrary it wasn't so. They had found the Athosian who had been influenced by the Wraith, turned as it were and that individual was now undergoing the long and painful withdrawal process. Something that would take months. "Now I feel guilty Evan that I should have been with them, it wasn't as if my people could not cope alone, I have made sure there are more than enough elders among us to guide them." A thought crossed her mind, she didn't though allow him even a glance inside. "I presume a plan is in place in the event they need back up?"

<In bath>

 "Oh I can assure you Reese it wasn't anything near as naughty as the models of today. Mostly mother did the face photography magazine and ad campaigns for make up companies. I think she did some fashion parades as well, as I know she met father while working in Milan." Those were happy thoughts for her, the photo albums back home were full of beautiful images of her parents together. "You know I had a thought, if you went through the ancient gene therapy, if successful you could pilot a jumper yourself, it would be so handy as a Doctor wouldn't it?" That was her take on it at least.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 16, 2017, 08:37:05 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

<In bath>

Reese sank further into the water, wanting to enjoy the warmth a bit longer.  she knew they wouldn't be able to stay here much longer.  "Oh that sounds much better then," she said.  "i would be afraid to be a model today with how they have to dress."  She shuttered at the thought.  "That is a neat history.  I bet they have some very interesting stories from when they were younger."  She tilted her head to the side a bit.  "Huh, really?  I didn't realize that.  It might be worth looking into."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on August 16, 2017, 08:21:55 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

<Outside>

That was what he wanted to hear. "Can't wait to get back into it can you?" He had to give her that, knowing Teyla wouldn't stay grounded for too long. "Yes in fact we do, the first sign of any forced resistance, John is to call us, we have four more teams ready to deploy. Woolsey is giving them twelve hours from departure. So in that time I have a couple of things I want to do while I'm here." Picking up his bag, Evan started to walk away. "Tell the good doctors if they need me, I'll be down by the rock pool." That was a scene he really badly wanted to paint.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 22, 2017, 01:48:32 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Outside, guarding door>

 Shaking her head with a laugh, Teyla had finally found a moment to have something to smile about. Not that the memory of losing Doctor Jaworski from the mission wasn't still fresh, she had simply been brooding way too long. "It is that obvious isn't it Evan? I think that in the next few hours I'll be reporting to Richard that I'm available for duty again. Of course I'd need Jennifer's clearance on that wouldn't I?" She had sunk deep, so in reality in this she wasn't much different to Elle. "I'll tell them, now off you go." Making a shooing motion with her hand, before turning inwards to the door.

 "Girls, are you done?" Teyla yelled.

<In bath>

 Mel slipped out of the water, grabbed a bucket of fresh cold water then poured that over her. Yes it was cold, that was where she was from. "We'll do it Reese, besides I need to explore my other side, teaching someone, something worthwhile and you'll make an excellent pilot...and no, I never even considered modelling myself." She added as she grabbed the towel. "Almost there Teyla!"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 22, 2017, 08:04:09 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

<In Bath>

Reese rolled her eyes with a laugh.  "You might come to regret that.  You haven't seen me drive a car," she grinned.  Although she was really just teasing.  She loved to drive. Although being a pilot was completely different.  Reese stood and grabbed the other bucket, not at all looking forward to the coldness.  A soft gasp escaped her lips as she rinsed herself before grabbing a towel.  "Okay, that was way too cold," she said, her teeth chattering a bit.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on August 24, 2017, 07:40:44 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

<Outside>

"I'm going, I'm going." Evan protested in a teasing way, waving his hand in the process. "Catch up later Teyla, don't forget if you or the good Doctors need me, just shout or come look for me." He realized as well while he walked away, he should have dragged Carson with him, at least he could have used the company, not to mention the man could have caught a fish or two for them to have later in the day. Now there was a thought.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 25, 2017, 08:35:41 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 "Not too much later Evan." She wasn't about to leave alone of course, knowing though he was around gave her confidence that getting back with her team would be sooner rather than later. "Girls, our baby might be making an appearance anytime soon now, I think we should move." The dark head appeared inside the doorway now, to reveal two rather undressed young women, with both of them slim, well toned and blonde, they could have passed as sisters. Teyla's eyebrows were raised.

 With a startled grunt, Mel wrapped a towel around her quickly, even if it was another woman, the door was still open. "We're coming already." She shouted, then sprinted for her new clothing. She picked up the other bundle, tossing it to Reese. "Now its my time to help you." The smile was broad at least.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 29, 2017, 08:40:11 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese was still in the process of trying to dry off when Teyla stuck her head in.  She squeaked in surprise, quickly pulling the towel around her.  "Be right there," she promised as Mel threw her clothes at her.  Reese quickly got dressed, feeling better in something clean.  "That is true.  hopefully it will be easy for her."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 30, 2017, 09:56:20 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

 The clothes she now wore smelled of moth balls, somehow Amelia must have gone through Mel's things only to find the garments she had set aside to send home. It didn't matter though, they were clean and fresh, so after dressing as quickly as Reese, she bundled the dirty clothes, her friend's as well, into a wash bag that had been sent along with everything else. Two seconds later with the clothe thing out of their way, Mel and Reese were at Teyla's side by the door. "You'd best lead the way then."

 Taking the hint, Teyla bounded off heading south away from the cattle yards, in fact away from the main part of the village to another area that appeared to be smaller, as if a different group of people had set up camp apart from the rest of the Athosians. It wasn't though as complicated as that, merely a place they had set aside from ages of tradition to isolate the screams of a new mother from the others. The last thing an Athosian woman wanted was to appear weak. "Reese, Melinda. This is Brina, she is but 18 and this of course is her first." Teyla introduced them as she pulled back the sack cloth that served as a door. The young girl was laying on furs, her swollen 'ready to deliver' tummy obvious.

 "I'll play Nurse, Reese. This is your day now." Melinda gently guided the other in with a hand in the centre of her back.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 31, 2017, 08:15:01 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese was grateful for the clean clothes and felt she could face anything now.  Although she prayed that the woman would have an easy birth.  She wasn't sure what the Athosians had to use for child birth and she didn't have much with her as she wasn't planning on this.

Reese blinked as Teyla led them in the opposite direction and they walked for what felt like miles.  She knew she was exaggerating, but she was still surprised by how far they had gone.  She hesitated briefly as Mel gave her a gentle shove in the back.  "Hello Brina.  I'm Reese and I'm going to help you and this little one of yours have an easy time of things.  How are you feeling now?" she asked.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 01, 2017, 08:08:33 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Brina Talsmena> NPC

 The young red head looked up at the women coming to her through tear filled eyes, she was in the last stages of her labor but she was having some difficulties of course. Sweat covered her body but her eyes did show defiance. She recognised Teyla of course and Melinda she knew from her many visits taking care of the Athosian animals. Reese she had heard of, but never met her, although from Mel she knew Reese was very similar, enough as many had said to pass as a sister. "I...I am doing well for now, baby is almost here but I fear I may not be able to deliver him naturally. You must be Reese, I have heard of you."

 Teyla whispered to the two girls quietly. "Our midwife thinks the baby might be turned. This is the reason I asked you to come, both of you. I have read about how you do things back on Earth, a cesarean section I believe it is called."

 "Oh..." Mel wasn't pleased by that. And this wasn't the place to be doing it either. "You said within the hour, Teyla we need to get her back to Atlantis, we simply can't do that here." She looked at Reese for confirmation.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 05, 2017, 08:32:19 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese smiled at the frightened girl, hoping to put her at ease.  She couldn't imagine being that young and having your first child.  She knelt by Brina's bed, glad to see the fire in the girl's eyes.  Although she didn't like the next words she heard.  "I am.  And we're going to help you and your little one," she promised.

She looked over her shoulder at Teyla and Mel.  "Mel's right.  If we have time we need to get her to Atlantis.  It will be safer for her and the baby then if I was forced to have to try that procedure here," she agreed.  She would if she had to, but she prayed for the girl's safety and the baby that they had time to get her back.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 07, 2017, 08:13:37 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Brina Talsmena> NPC

 Brina wasn't in the position to refuse. For although it went against all tradition to go outside the village, she knew only too well that for both her and baby to be safe, she had to accept what these two women from Earth were offering her. "Very....very well. I will leave both of us in your hands."

 "Right decision Brina." Mel said getting ready to arrange things, though they need help. She turned to Teyla. "I think its time we asked Evan for a hand don't you?"

 Teyla knew it as well. "I agree with both of you. The sooner we move her the better. I'll go fetch him, keep her calm, I won't be more than five minutes." After that Teyla was gone at a run and run she did.

 "Get her comfortable Reese, I think I should bring the Jumper down here don't you?" It would be tight, but Melinda thought she could fit the Puddle Jumper between the houses at this far end of this remote part of the outer village.

<By the Rock Pool>

 She ran faster than she could remember for sometime, reaching the small pool that formed in the bend of the river. Teyla found Evan there, his easel set up, a sketch of area already on the canvas and a nice fat fish laying on some straw. In the short time since she had seen him, he had been busy. "Major Lorne, we need you. Can you come quickly please." She begged of him.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 08, 2017, 08:11:18 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese smiled at the girl.  "Don't you worry about a thing, Brina.  You and your little one will be just fine."  Reese wasn't about to lose mom or baby.  Although she did hope that there would be others to help back at Atlantis who would know more about the different races here.  She was still learning.

She turned as Teyla bolted out the door.  "I think that would be a good idea.  We don't want to have to move her much or too far."  She nodded in answer to Mel, already turned back to Brina.  She spoke softly as she adjusted blankets and made sure the soon to be mom was comfortable.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 11, 2017, 09:57:31 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

<River>

Evan was in his element, his mind far far away as the first lines of his charcoal begin creating what would be a landscape of this beautiful land. The canvas he had chosen was quite large, so it was something of a pain in the mitka to be disturbed when at last he did in fact hear Teyla calling to him. Turning slowly to see her face, for one thing he wanted to be sure it wasn't a hoax of hers just to pull him away from what he was doing. Naturally though he knew 'she' wouldn't do such a thing, but he had to be sure. "Couldn't manage without me could they? Melinda and Reese I take it?" He knew something of what those two were doing here, not all of it of course.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 12, 2017, 03:13:45 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Brina Talsmena> NPC

 Just as the girls were getting things set in order, Brina's first contractions began to take hold of her. She screamed in pain, as she fully knew all too well there was no way she could deliver this child. Through clenched teeth she begged them. "Hurry, please hurry."

 Melinda was well aware, she didn't need another reminder. "I'll be back Reese. The moment I touch down, hopefully by that time Evan and Teyla will have returned." She wanted to do more, but right now there was little else to do. Mel ran like the wind then, leaving Reese alone with the girl.

 "If fate decrees a girl be born from my limbs this ......day. She will carry both your names..." That took everything Brina had to say so much.

<By the River>

 "Yes and no Evan." Teyla said hurridly. "One of our younger women is giving birth, both Doctors recommend we take her back to Atlantis since its quite apparent to both them and myself Brina my need assistance in the delivery....please hurry. I'll have someone watch over your things." Then once again she was off sprinting.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 12, 2017, 08:35:13 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese silently groaned.  this wasn't good at all.  But trying to perform a c-section here could be very bad and she would only do it if it was the only way to save both mother and child.  Right now she prayed they still had a few minutes and that Mel was a fast runner.  They needed to hurry.

Reese gently smoothed Brina's hair out of her face.  'Shh, save your strength.  You and your little one will be fine.  Just stay strong for me for a bit longer," she said softly.  They needed to hurry.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 12, 2017, 11:34:34 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

<River>

Lorne's eyebrows raised visibly and while he was no doctor, he had been around enough women including his sister to be well aware that Teyla was talking about doing a cesarean and he also knew that simply wasn't something they could do here at the settlement. "I'm right behind you Teyla." Dropping his charcoal onto the small easel tray, he wasn't concerned for his things, the Athosians were both far too honest to even give them a second glance. In a few quick strides he was at Teyla's side matching her pace until such time she led him back to where the young woman was with Reese . "Just tell me what to do Doc, no matter what you have in mind." He noted the young Vet Melinda wasn't there.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 14, 2017, 01:55:55 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

<Brina Talsmena> NPC

 By this time the pain was getting to Brina. But being who she was and an Athosian to boot, she was determined not to make a show of it, merely clenching her teeth while she did her best to focus her mind on something else. That of course was the young man who had helped create this child, now dead of course as these things happened when the two of them were of that group who had been captured by the Wraith Worshipers. She had shed her tears for him long ago, now she only wished and hoped that their child would survive as a tribute to his memory and bravery. "I will last..." She said weakly to Reese.

 As she ran, Teyla spoke as best as she could without winding herself into the bargain. "I think that both Reese and Melinda will need to attend Brina. We need to get her back to the city as soon as we can, so Evan you will need to fly us." She didn't even think about the fact that there were now two Puddle Jumpers there, nor what the girls had planned. By the time the two of them were reaching the small cottage, Teyla looked up as she saw one of the Jumpers at least making a landing right in between the small spaces of the houses at this end of the settlement. That had to be Melinda and sure enough as she covered her face from the dust, the rear door opened she saw Mel running out to the house.

 "I thought this would save time!" She yelled at them as she disappeared inside. Quickly she knelt beside Reese, feeling a little breathless as she had been running for her life's worth. "How is she doing now Reese?"

 Not far behind her, Teyla appeared in the door with Evan. Taking the scene in quickly she thanked Mel for her effort. "Definitely Melinda and thank you." She looked over her shoulder. "Evan we can assist Brina, if you would have the Jumper ready as soon as we have her inside please."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 14, 2017, 08:15:39 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese didn't know much about Atlantis yet or the Athosians, but she did wonder where the father of the baby was.  She was thinking now wasn't the time to ask though as Brina looked to be struggling to keep it together.  "Shh," she soothed.  "They'll be here soon and then we'll make sure you and your little one are safe," she promised.  She didn't know if she could truly keep that promise but she would do everything in her power to make sure she did.

She turned as she heard Mel enter.  "She's weak.  We need to get her back there now," Reese answered, holding Brina's hand.  She wasn't going to lose this girl.  She refused.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 14, 2017, 06:54:10 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

Evan was rather taken aback when he saw the Puddle Jumper lower itself down in between the narrow muddied paths of the small mud and daub cottages, even he would have been reluctant to try that. "Nice flying." He whistled through his teeth, making a note to himself to say something to the blonde Vet sooner rather than later. "You've got it Teyla, just do what you have to do, I'll be ready to punch it the moment you're all on board." From there they split, Lorne zipping into the Jumper moments after Melinda left, gaining the pilots seat it was still warm from her occupation of it.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 15, 2017, 02:39:07 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/cdM5Y.jpg) NPC

 With a speed and efficiency that defied logic, Melinda and Teyla worked together to sit the young woman up. Yes it would be painful for her, but this was there one chance to get her safely to Atlantis. Teyla though knew there was no way she was going to just walk out, so she stayed her hand, bidding them to wait just another few moments. She ducked out, then mere seconds later she was back with four other women to assist. "We'll have to carry her." She told them.

 Brina was about to protest, yet she knew the futility of that with Teyla in charge. She sighed deeply allowing them to do what they had to. "I will let you shame me this once Teyla." She said, trying to make light of her predicament.

 "Reese, hold her head for us please." Mel asked as she and Teyla took Brina by the shoulders, the other women supporting the young woman by her legs and abdomen. In a very short time, they were carrying her to the jumper, then as they paused inside, one woman went back to grab some blankets to make a bed of sorts on the floor. They laid her in place, the other women retreating as Teyla moved forward.

 "Stay with her." She said to Reese and Melinda as she went forward to Evan. "We can go now, we must be quick though." The rear door closed and all the needed now was Evan's flying skills to get them back swiftly.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 15, 2017, 08:24:47 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese was grateful to see everyone returning.  She didn't know how much longer the poor girl had and she didn't want to risk mom or baby's health.  She shifted out of the way as the other women moved to help Brina up, moving to help support her head.

Once they were aboard Reese moved up by Brina, watching the young woman's breathing.  "It will be over soon," she soothed.  "And you'll be holding your little one."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 18, 2017, 08:32:53 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

With one quick glance over his shoulder, Evan was satisfied everything was in place. He had no need to physically check the rear cargo now to see if it was open, with the Jumpers having recently been fitted with small CCTV suite, a small seven inch screen in front of him gave him the confidence to proceed. He could see both the now sealed door and his passengers.

Lifting off he looked over at Teyla, remembering back to that time when she herself carried her own child. Evan wondered silently if the day might come he could be a father, then dismissed the thought as quickly as it came. "I'll let them know we're coming." He said aloud as the little ship lifted from the ground. "Atlantis, this is Lorne. We're returning to the city, could you please alert the medical staff we have a young woman in the last stages of her labor. The doctors may be prepping for a cesarean section." He added at the end.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 19, 2017, 03:08:05 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2bW9v.jpg)

*radio*

 "Acknowledged Major, I'll notify them immediately."


(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2edC2.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/cdM5Y.jpg) NPC

 All Teyla had to do now was wait for their arrival. She knew Brina would be in good hands after that. She would wait a while before returning of course, but as soon as she could, she'd be seeing Richard about getting her reconnected with Sheppard and the team.

 "I ..I know." Brina said weakly. "You are good people, I trust you." She closed her eyes, now wasn't the time for hysterics, no matter how much pain she was experiencing.

 Melinda sat by the girl's side, holding her hand. She looked up at Reese, a worried frown on her face. Tapping her friend on the shoulder, she indicated for them to move to the rear of the little ship. "We need to talk Reese." She said quietly.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 19, 2017, 08:40:14 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese hated seeing the young girl in so much pain.  Unfortunately there wasn't much she could do right now until they got back to Atlantis.  She looked up at the light tap and nodded, squeezing Brina's hand before standing.  She moved over with Mel, not liking the look she saw on her friend's face.  'What's up?" she whispered.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 21, 2017, 11:13:49 PM
(https://cdnw.nickpic.host/mSgNhc.jpg)

Time was of the essence, Evan used his every mental ability to push the Jumper just that much faster, which of course was quite fast in any case. "Hold tight." That was about all he could say to Teyla as the envelope was pushed even further, thankfully the inertia dampeners did their work to protect the crew and passengers from the G forces. In atmosphere that could be quite. There was something going on in the back though, Lorne did his best to ignore it, in as much he turned off the CCTV feed. "Two minutes, I'll make the decent nice and slow."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on September 25, 2017, 02:05:19 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 With her face as close as she could be without being rude to her friend, Melinda whispered in the lowest tones possible, after glancing at Brina first to see she was otherwise occupied. Which she was, Mel could see it clearly by the way the younger woman kept her eyes shut. "There is no other way to say this Reese, but we must be prepared for the fact that Brina may not survive her baby's birth, that or the baby itself. Either way we have to look at both possibilities, can you do that?"

<<To city and Jumper Bay>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on September 25, 2017, 08:11:40 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese's eyes widened.  Yes, she knew the very real possibility and had seen it happen a time or two.  Never made it any easier.  She shook her head.  "I'm not even going to let myself think that until there is no hope," she whispered back.  "If in fact that does happen, what will happen with the babe?" she asked softly, not knowing how things worked here on Atlantis and praying that she wouldn't have to find out.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Ellen_Ripley on September 28, 2017, 02:17:46 AM
<<To Atlantis Jumper Bay>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on February 28, 2018, 11:08:48 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

<<From Atlantis>>


 The little ship arced over the city before turning south west for the mainland, it was always a thrilling view so Melinda soared over the eastern side she noticed some crew around one of the 401's. That made her heart ache a little as she was well overdue herself to get her hours up on that bird. Longingly she looked at the aircraft wishing she was with them. Still their job at hand was just as important. "How you doing Radek?" She asked him knowing his apprehension with flying. A thought occurred to her. "Reese do you think Brina is okay? I kind of feel bad about leaving her with Kelly. I mean Kelly is great but she is busy as always..." She had no need to worry of course it was just her nature.

 @Teddy @sorra
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 01, 2018, 07:36:04 PM
<<from Atlantis>>
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese was starting to enjoy the puddle jumpers.  They were a great way to get around,  she thought about Mel's question.   "I don't know Kelly real well but I have a feeling that Brina is in good hands.   Not to mention I think Sunniva made sure Brina and the baby will be okay."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 02, 2018, 12:28:13 PM
<<From Atlantis>>

Zelenka

He turned to look at Melinda and grinned

"I feel fine, do not worry, it is not the flying that worries me, it's the crashing into the sea, not that you would do that........I hope"

He gave her a half nervous smile
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 02, 2018, 04:54:25 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Doing a good job of multi-tasking Melinda slowly brought the little Jumper down low near the main village but not too close as to alarm the Athosians. While focusing on that she was talking with her eyes in front watching for any obstacles that might hinder their landing. "I hope so, but you are right about one thing Reese, without Sunniva's help I know we would have lost Brina and perhaps even the baby...I wonder if she has chosen a name yet?" She was still musing when very softly almost a whisper she added. "...such a shame about the father. Didn't Teyla mention he died or was killed or something?" Mel felt extremely sad about that.

 "Fortunately Doctor.." She had to focus. If Radek thought dropping into the water was a problem, he'd been lucky that he wasn't with her on her second Jumper flight when she misjudged the height and almost broke the thing when she landed all so heavily. "...I have my Danish silver star in life saving." He couldn't see her face but she was grinning like the proverbial Chesire cat. Deftly she did manage to land safely without even so much as a bump. Activating the rear door let in the fresh smell of sea and forest.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 03, 2018, 09:59:00 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/21qwB.jpg)

Reese shrugged a shoulder.   "We'll have to ask her when we get back."  She was excited to meet Brina in better circumstances and find out the baby's name.  She frowned slightly.  "I do believe she mentioned that.  Is that a normal thing here?" She asked.  Reese was still learning things.

She smiled at Radek.   "I don't think she'll purposely crash us," she chuckled.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 03, 2018, 10:29:52 AM
Zelenka

Radek began to relax a little as they  prepared to land

"Wonderful, I can swim like a brick, so we are a good match"


He smiled  and looked over to Reece

"That is good to know, I think"

Radek remembered the last time he had come over to the mainland, it was an over nighter, it was with Ronon, that was a joyous occasion, NOT, Ronon was not a happy chappy, Ronon was a very scary chappy when not happy, he was glad to have finally left


Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 04, 2018, 10:26:54 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)


"Hopefully that won't take too long. Sunniva did promise to meet us out here with perhaps some fancy way to deal with these weeds...I hope the El'Dari don't use any kind of toxic weed killer though." That last part was a thought spoken aloud. "I couldn't imagine them doing so could you?" Generally speaking it was unthinkable after all the Athosians had been through. "It did get me thinking, knowing how her people like to use names of people who have done good by them and all, I mean something like Reese Melinda might sound kind of strange wouldn't it?" Now she was really reaching for it, the thought made her chuckle just a bit.

 "Really Doctor Zelenka, I would have thought by this time on Atlantis swimming lessons would have been mandatory being surrounded by water and all." She was naturally half joking but then in her seven months here four personnel had to be pulled out after falling off a pier and to find out even Ronon couldn't swim came as a shock to her. Maybe something should be done about it.

 Melinda left her seat gathering her pack as she moved to the rear. Once outside she took a deep breath. For even though they were only here a few hours ago, the closed in air of the city made you long for the outdoors, at least for her it did.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 05, 2018, 07:43:49 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese tilted her head a bit.  "That doesn't sound like something they would do.  I am curious what she has in mind to help."  She wrinkled her nose.  "I think that could be a bit odd.  We'll just have to ask Brina when we return."

Reese grabbed her own pack, handing a granola bar to her friend as they stepped off.  "And to make you feel better Radek,  I don't swim too well  myself. "
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 07, 2018, 06:35:47 AM
Zelenka


Radek got from his seat and as he did he spoke, answering both the girls

"Looks like that is three of us for lessons, anyone know if Atlantis has a swimming pool.................and the big one surrounding it does not count"


He smiled and pushed his glasses along the bridge of his nose
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 08, 2018, 12:55:48 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

  "Three and more." Melinda corrected Radek. "You two and anyone else I can find in the city who can't swim more than a few meters without dog paddling and that includes Ronon. That what I said earlier Radek about my certificate back home, I wasn't joking." She grinned. "Living by the sea I've been swimming for as long as I can recall, in fact where I live it was compulsory from Kindergarten to know how to swim." So she at least had two volunteers for her plans, as for a pool, she recalled there was a rather large pond off the river not far from the village, they the Athosians often swam there themselves so it would be ideal.

 Looking back at Reese she shrugged. "I'm sure they wouldn't. It makes me wonder though with them being so advanced just how they would go about it. Although Sunniva said she would 'show' the Athosians how to get rid of it." They would have to ask Brina of course, it was something though she could imagine the young woman to do, it would be a little embarrassing though.

 Hoisting her pack Melinda set off for the village at a reasonable pace, she wasn't intending for them to be out her by nightfall, but if that happened it happened. "You know I am getting hungry again, thanks Reese." She took the energy bar thankfully, tearing the end off the wrapper to take a decent bite, but her manners got in the way. "We should share it."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 08, 2018, 08:07:35 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese pursed her lips.  "Now wait a minute.  Who said I wanted to learn to swim?" She asked.   If she was honest water always scared her a bit.  It was just so powerful.

Reese walked beside her friend as they hiked toward the city.   "It will be interesting to see what Sunniva does." She was also curious to see what Brina names her sweet daughter.   She shook her head.  "I'm fine.  Go head."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 14, 2018, 05:48:55 PM
(https://scontent.fsyd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/185037_271747002946203_463561689_n.jpg?oh=97822255ae3a1cc246fc3985fd55beaa&oe=5AD5D5B3)

 The two El'Dari  women appeared in a cleared field just nearby the village with Sunniva's keen eyes surveying the area immediately. She could see off in the distance on the opposite end of the settlement the Puddle Jumper used by the Melinda, Reese and Doctor Zelenka. They weren't that far way.

 There were a few Athosians about here and there, most of those she could see were in the fields or heading with washing to some nearby stream. They appeared to be safe, even though sprinkled about Sunniva could clearly see the noxious and most poisonous weed in question growing here and there. The attraction for the unknowing was the beautiful blue flowers it produced, while they in themselves were harmless, it was the thorns on the stems that did the damage. "We have a lot to do Kara, luckily the season is right and the plant has not yet gone to seed. Come, let us find our friends from Atlantis, their ship is not far away." She set off at a good pace, seeing the women in question  and Radek behind the Jumper as they drew closer.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on March 14, 2018, 09:41:32 PM
(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara bowed her head slightly with a nod and followed her. When they appeared in the middle of the glade in a flash of light, it was like coming out of a dream into another dream. As Sunniva glided away in a hurry, Kara looked up and sniffed the air. It was different. A bit salty. They were on an large island.

Quickly, she caught up with her and stayed beside her with her head down slightly. Keeping on guard, she would have to expect something rather unexpected. Although, chances of that were low. Keeping her long silence, she waited her turn to speak.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 15, 2018, 06:36:23 AM
Zelenka


Radek looked around, it had been a while since he had been on the mainland, it was good to stand on firm land, not that Atlantis wasn't firm, just that it wasn't  on land, and to get out of the lab and see trees and flowers instead of the so called 'aesthetically pleasing' decor.

He noticed people approaching, they didn't seem familiar, tho, to be honest, he didn't really know anyone on the mainland, he turned to Melinda

"I believe we have company coming, do you know them? And, is their a specific reason why we are here?"

He coulldn't believe he hadn't asked this before
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 15, 2018, 04:50:47 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)
Reese looked over, a smile touching her lips.  "It seems Sunniva has found us like she promised.  I am not sure who is with her though.   Do you know, Mel?" She asked curiously.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 18, 2018, 10:45:27 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Melinda looked over her shoulder when Radek brought her attention to the newcomers, she relaxed just a little when she recognized Sunniva. "You have keen eyes Reese." She commented walking towards the El'Dari. "Sunniva Guorun, the leader of the El'Dari race Radek, someone who we hope can help us with this weed problem and quickly." Talking as she went, she added. "Perhaps one of Sunniva's assistants I would say."

 A few short moments later the parties came face to face.

(https://scontent.fsyd1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/185037_271747002946203_463561689_n.jpg?oh=97822255ae3a1cc246fc3985fd55beaa&oe=5AD5D5B3)

 "Well met young Doctors, I have seen some of the problem on our way over here." Sunniva didn't waste time on words. "May I present to you Captain Kara Randgríðr, she is one of my finest battle clerics and before you ask why her skills are needed here, our race has a touch with nature, we can sense when something is out of alignment, or in this case a problem weed that does not belong here."

 Melinda had to admit, the growth of the land was profuse in this season, it would take a trained eye to find exactly where every stem of this toxic plant. "Thank you for coming so quickly. You know Doctor Reese Prescott and this is Doctor Radek Zalenko one of our best scientists." She had to get that in of course. "Very pleased to meet you Kara." She wondered what exactly a battle cleric's job description was.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 19, 2018, 10:44:23 AM
Zelenka

Radek smiled and nodded

"It's Zelenka, but please, Radek will do"

He looked at Mel and rolled his eyes at her mispronunciation of his name,and, he also wondered about a battle cleric

"Battle cleric, is that someone who breaks out the axe if you refuse to put in the collection?"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 19, 2018, 07:07:27 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese smiled. She was glad to see Sunniva.  She bit back a chuckle at the thought of a cleric taking up a battle axe.  "It is a pleasure Kara.  And good to see you again Sunniva."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on March 20, 2018, 08:52:59 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara smiled at Zelenka's description of a Battle Cleric but quickly hid it away by closing her mouth. She nodded at the three of the humans she was introduced to and responded, "I am honored to be here. Whatever I can do to offer assistance."

She wanted to explain to them what a Battle Cleric does, but it wasn't their purpose here. They were here to help them.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 22, 2018, 03:36:59 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)
 
 Melinda couldn't believe she had said that, using an 'o' instead of an 'a' with Radek's last name. Possibly anxiety caused it, her mind every now and then drifting back to the video her father sent her that she had yet to watch and it was almost two days now since she received it. "Sorry Radek." She mumbled in apology.
 
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg)

 With the introductions out of the way, Sunniva took the lead. "Well then its time to be about our business. I told the good young Doctors here that I would show the Athosians how to rid themselves of this toxic plant, which by the way I should reiterate is not native to this planet, it would be something I can look into at a later time to determine how it got here." She had her suspicions on that subject. "It is called paralexima, there are other names but that is the most common. To kill it biologically would require moving all the people here away for at least a month, but that I believe might prove difficult logistically. Luckily the season it right and there is another more mundane method." She smiled, this may surprise them.

 "You will notice there are two different flowers. The female the larger more bluer variety, the male smaller with a lighter hue. All we need to do is to cut the male flowers now, all of them, to prevent spawning. Within ten days the females will die and thus the toxin. I will point out that there is the confusion; the male species is completely harmless, which is unusual in any species." That was one of those rare El'Dari moments of humor.

 "That's it?" Melinda said with her mouth open in semi shock. As simple as that?

 "Yes Melinda that is all we need to do. Kara, you can supervise the Athosians as some of the plants are at times hard to tell the difference." The El'Dari's keen eyes though will have no trouble in doing that.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 22, 2018, 04:10:01 PM
Zelenka


Radek just smiled at Melinda

"No problem, I have been called worse, usually by Rodney"

He looked over at the jumper then back to Melinda

"Is it ok if I check out the jumper, I am sure I caught a slight drift, only a fraction, but I would like to check it out none the less ..... and of course if you need me you know where to find me"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 23, 2018, 09:12:57 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese felt bad for Radek and Mel when it became obvious that Mel had misspoken his last name.  At least Radek seemed to take it all in stride though and wasn't upset by it.

Her eyes widened though as she listened to Sunniva.  "Seriously?  Just cut the smaller blue flower?  Wow, that sounds so simple," she said.  'Although I am not complaining.  If that is all it takes to keep the ones here safe and healthy then show me the flower and give me some pruning shares," she grinned.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on March 26, 2018, 06:22:42 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

"I can do that," Kara nodded. She was eager to help. If this plant life was hazardous to the ingenious people, then they should do whatever it would take to take care of it. Setting it on fire might work, or it might not.

Still, Kara exhaled and responded, "We should get started. The sooner we take care of this toxic flower, the better for all of us."

Carefully, as she was warned once by her mentor when she got cocky once and nearly got herself killed. Her team was involved and it nearly ended her career. She vowed not to let that happen.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on March 26, 2018, 11:09:41 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg)

 "It appears we have come ill equipped doesn't it? I should have thought of this earlier. "Kara, ask the Athosians if they have anything like that Reese describes, pruning sheers or some gardening cutting device." They should they were farmers after all.


(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 That gave Melinda an idea when Radek high tailed it back to the Jumper. "One minute." She said, doubling up back to the ship herself. Once there she did speak to him quietly. "We could use your help Radek." But left it at that as she retrieved her pack. Opening it up she went through her 'tools. As a Vet and specializing in Orthopedics, Mel carried a few rather mundane pieces of hardware. Electrical side cutters she used for cutting fine wire, pliers for bending and cutting heavier wire. A box of surgical gloves and some toxic waste plastic bags. She gathered those things up, then hurried back to Reese and Sunniva.

 "Here, we can use these." Handing each one a pair of the side cutters, some gloves and a handful of bags.

 "That will do perfectly, now let us get to work."
 
 
 
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on March 27, 2018, 10:05:14 AM
Zelenka

Radek looked  puzzled, but smiled and replied quietly

"Ok, anyway I can"


Then he moved away to inside the jumper wondering, how on earth he could help.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on March 28, 2018, 06:02:22 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese wasn't quite sure where Mel was disappearing to.  Although she wished they would have thought about something they could use as cutters.  She laughed when Mel returned.   "Well it seems you come prepared, " she chuckled, accepting one of the tools.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on March 28, 2018, 07:30:36 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara noted that they were ready now. With a nod, she replied, "Let's get started, then." Whatever they could do to help, Kara was eager. She knew exactly what to do to make sure they will accomplish this simple task.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on April 05, 2018, 01:40:33 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg)

 Several Athosians came over to them to lend a hand, it was after all their land that needed fixing. They were all armed with fairly rudimentary sheers, large, yet good enough to do what needed doing. Sunniva explained for them what need doing, she showed them how to identify the two different plants; they in turn more than satisfied her with their ready understanding. She was impressed to say the least.

 Armed with the tools they needed, they set off with her guidance, she then put her own hands to work rapidly, placing each flower head in the bags Melinda had provided. Soon the El'Dari leader was out of sight from the others, although two younger Athosians were always near her.


(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 "I did Reese. Funny about that you know, my father was always carried around his utility knife even though he was a diplomat. He said often 'you never know when you're going to need it'; I think I picked up the habit from him. Although I should say my utility knife comes in a large kit." Melinda then handed Radek a pair of side cutters and some bags along with the gloves, she made doubly sure as Sunniva had that everyone understood exactly what was needed to be done. "Don't forget, even though the make shrubs are not toxic, the thorns can still leave you with a nasty infection. Do not take your gloves off at any time, nor make the mistake of wiping your face with your hand while working." That last aspect she had to enforce, knowing that Radek to was more than aware of the danger. She knew he'd be keeping on eye on things as well.

 "Dark blue female, light blue male!" She reiterated as she set off in her own direction, which was south through what appeared to be something like a field of barley.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on April 05, 2018, 05:49:10 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara walked a distance following Sunnivia but she stopped a few times to observe the Athosians at work. Taking her own path, she walked along the other Athosians making sure they were following her mistress's instructions clearly and to the letter.

Crossing her arms behind her back, the strong, well defined athletic El Dari strolled among the greens of the village passing a few gardens. While observing the villagers, she admired the beauty of nature. Her long, half braided sidecut blonde hair flowed down beneath her shoulder blade. Unlocking her arm from behind her back, she parted a strand of her hair and placed it behind her sharpened, pointed ear.

Keeping her stoic expression void of emotion, the warrior kept her keen sharp eyes on her surroundings. She caught a few younger Athosians staring at her. Before, it bugged her. Now, she barely noticed or became uncomfortable. Catching their eyes, she offered a brief smile and acknowledged them. They ran off to their elders.

A slight wind blew across her hair as she turned her face to look at another row of flowers. Several Athosians were already clipping them and putting them into a bag. She nodded while keeping her silence and noticed one of them placing a shear into the petal of a wrong type of flower.

Approaching quickly, she knelt and placed her hand on his shoulder while offering her assistance, "Wait. Wrong color. Cut this one," She pointed at the male flower with a lighter blue hue.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on April 06, 2018, 09:50:35 AM
Zelenka

Radek had joined Mel and took the clippers,gloves and bag from her

"Thank you, let us hope no one gets hurt, one distraction at the wrong time could be disastrous"

He poddled off, nearly tripping over the bag as it whipped round his little legs, he rolled his eyes and swore in Czech under his breathe.

"Hovno, nemotorný idiot"

And grabbed the bag  rolling it up away from his feet
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on April 09, 2018, 06:56:54 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese set to work on cutting the male part of the flower.  She still couldn't believe it had been that simple,  she just prayed that this would fix things.   She didn't want to see anyone else get sick.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on April 09, 2018, 07:58:19 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg)

 After quite some time Sunniva stood tall where she was in the fields, casting her glance all about her. Those El'Dari senses told her they were almost done, all that they had left to do now was to get a firm guarantee from the Athosians that they understood the importance of the work done and that they were able to keep up what had been achieved further out from their village. She was under no illusion that this weed could possibly be confined to the immediate area.

 Sunniva then made her way over to the others one by one, asking each of them to gather around her near a small stream. She waited for all of them to join her.

(https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 "More than welcome Radek." She replied adding, "we can only hope, though I have found these people to be more than adequate in seeing danger, how Brina came to such a calamity is beyond me, although granted I doubt any of the Athosians could have seen such evil lurking in a plant so innocent looking don't you think?"

 A little while after that Melinda was hard at work mostly on her own, or as she moved about coming close to her companions and the Athosians now and then. She came to a point where she was out of the waste bags she kept for herself, thinking of going back to Atlantis to gather more of them, when Sunniva came by. After being asked to go with her, Mel looked around to see there was no more to be done at least in her immediate vicinity. She nodded casually, walking not far behind the El'Dari stopping first at Kara, then Reese. "I think we're done now, we should see what Sunniva wants us for I guess."
 
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on April 18, 2018, 05:02:56 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara suspected that they were nearly done as she kept her observations. Seeing Sunnivia passing her, she nodded bowing her head once and responded to Mel's query, "Yes. Perhaps we should. I hope we got everything taken cared of."

If there was something she didn't like, it was the lingering aftereffects that could possibly make things worse liking making more people sick. They had to take care of every last stem to be sure that the sickness was eradicated.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on May 02, 2018, 02:06:07 AM
Zelenka

Radek looked up as Sunniva approached him and asked him to join her and the others by the stream

"Just a couple  more here to snip and I will be right there, I would hate to miss any"

He pushed up his glasses with his wrist and grinned at Sunniva.

He snipped the last couple as she walked away and put them in the bag, tying a knot in it to make sure he did not drop any as he walked to the stream

Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on May 02, 2018, 10:35:26 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg) (https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Once everyone was around her Sunniva gave them all a beaming smile even with an obvious trickle of sweat running down either side of her face. "Thank you all for your efforts, considering the pressure we were under and the very short learning curve you had to master, you have all done brilliantly. I believe we can now safely hand over any remaining work to our Athosian friends. Well done all of you."

 That was it? Melinda felt for sure they had much more to do, but then she didn't have the knowledge of the El'dari. She did notice to that Teyla's people had picked up far quicker than she expected, even as Sunniva spoke they were still at it. "Well thank you Sunniva I should say for both helping us and showing us how. Do you think it's all gone though, I mean weeds do spread."

 "No Melinda it certainly hasn't. But if you good people keep an eye on it, there won't be a problem. I can also have a scanning device set on your City tower to detect any outbreaks that might occur." She nodded at Kara, she could take care of that.

 "Really?" Like wow she thought, that is technology. "Radek that will be right in your ballpark won't it....gadgets!" She grinned. "Okay, so we can go back now I guess?"

 "Yes of course, unless the people here want to.." She stopped speaking when a few adults and children came towards them. Each of them holding a bouquet of flowers. They thanked the team generously, invited them to come back when Teyla returned for a feast, then politely returned to their work. Yes even Radek got flowers.

 "They are such lovely people aren't they Reese?" Mel said quietly.

 @sorra @DanielRyder @Teddy
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on May 03, 2018, 08:43:51 AM
Zelenka

Radek looked over at Melinda when she spoke to him, seconds after he heard about attaching something to the Tower.

"Yes...yes, new technology is always welcome, of course I will have to check it out first, cannot just go about sticking things onto the Tower, no offence..errr... Miss Sunniva"

And just as  he finished the sentence he  was suddenly confronted with his biggest fear, a child, and it was offering him flowers.  He couldn't decide whether to run, he turned a little,  and  he looked around uncomfortably, then looking  back at the child, he grinned nervously and  took the flowers from it, he coughed and shoved his glasses along the bridge of his nose

"Ummmm, thank you"

He was unsure what to do with them, nobody had ever given him flowers before, he stood just looking around , he held the flowers like he was going to club someone with them, such was his awkwardness.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on May 03, 2018, 10:02:02 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese's jaw nearly dropped.  They were done? That was it? It had almost seemed too easy.  Although as Sunniva explained more it started to make sense. 

She nodded to the ones who handed her flowers.   "Thank you kindly.  They are beautiful."  She looked over at her friend.   "That they are."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on May 04, 2018, 05:10:47 AM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Kara nodded almost responding to Sunniva's request, "Yes, m-" before stopping to see the people surrounding them quickly. Her warrior's instincts nearly kicked in until she realized they were carrying the flowers they had picked up for them. Clearing her throat nervously, she elected to remain silent and accept one of the flowers.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on May 07, 2018, 01:39:12 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg) (https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Both Melinda and Sunniva took the offered flowers with good grace, with the El'Dari telling the Athosians she'd be back soon to help them with a few other things she noticed needed fixing. Hugs were exchanged, names and thank yous then it was time to depart.

 "We'll be back some time every now and then." Melinda reassured them also, feeling that both her and Reese should make it a point until Jennifer returns to keep an eye on their well being health wise. Then it was back to the Jumper finally, they had done all that was expected of them and more.

 As they walked back to the small ship Sunniva altered her long stride to match the shorter steps of Radek, she glanced at him from the side as if she were measuring his worth. A quick movement of her head indicated she found what she was looking for, her expression said she was pleased. "Doctor Zelenka, please, you may address me as Sunniva, long passed have those days of formality among our kind. Now I wanted to say since we are talking about your area of expertise, that naturally we would welcome you to personally supervise the installation and of course inspection of any technology we offer your people."

 By this time Melinda, Reese and Kara were in front, they had still some two or three hundred meters to walk to the Jumper, it was warm the sun shining brightly even if at late afternoon now. "Did either of you find the generosity of the Athosians something that is becoming rarer and rarer these days, no matter where we are or the galaxy most times people are living their lives at such a rapid pace they don't have a lot of time for the niceties we take for granted."

 @sorra @Teddy @DanielRyder
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on May 09, 2018, 06:14:41 AM
Zelenka

Radek caught the movement of the woman from the corner of his eye, for some reason, it unnerved him, he couldn't quite put his finger on why, but, he didn't trust her.

"Yes, it is our policy to do so, there is not just me, there is a whole team that will go over it with a fine toothcomb, we have been bitten far too many times to let it happen again, we find trusting people is something we do not do lightly because of this"

He sped up his pace to catch up with the others, not really wanting to be alone with Sunniva, and was wishing that Tama had been with him, sure in the fact that she would have noticed something about the El'dari woman.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on May 09, 2018, 04:48:50 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese sniffed the flowers again.  They had a lovely fragrance and she would enjoy having them there.   She tilted her head at Mel's words.  "Unfortunately I think you're right," she agreed as they walked. "More people should learn from them." The world was certainly getting bad.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on May 10, 2018, 04:23:03 PM

(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

Carrying the flowers that she gracefully accepted, Kara turned to Mel thinking on her words. Walking closer to the shutter, she responded lightly not wanting to sound harsh, "What you say is true. There are many who do not. For the El Dari, generosity is commonplace."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on May 11, 2018, 06:41:55 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg) (https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

 Melinda walked through the back of the Jumper giving a wave to a few Athosian kids who had joyfully followed the little procession urging them at the same time to keep clear of the ship when they took off. Even as she gained her pilots seat she kept the flow of the conversation going. "We're all so very lucky that in a small way in the city we're not overly influenced by the need to hang off every source of our social media as if it were a life or death case if we missed a post from our friends. Since our sole means of communication there is either face to face or over the radio we're much more like a huge great big family there. Is it like that with your people Kara?" She had to admit though there were a tiny few who chose to isolate themselves, luckily they either ended up going back to Earth or waking up to the fact everyone relied on everyone else. "Reese we must try and find out when Jennifer is returning, you and I cannot carry the entire medical section on our own." That thought just occurred to her.

 As they approached the Jumper Sunniva took one last look back, nodding her head as she felt a very good outcome had been achieved today. "That I understand Doctor Zelenka, trust me, my own race has been hoodwinked as you would say by being overly trustful in the past. With anything that someone offers you freely that is touted as giving you a gain, be wary. I am familar with much of your history, the story of the Trojan horse comes to mind does it not?" She entered then took her place in the rear section, finding the smallness of it disconcerting in a way. But she was El'Dari, they adapted swiftly. "Melinda, Reese, what Kara has spoken of is true, but know that we do not give lightly as we know too often some may try to use that generosity as leverage to take advantage of us."

 Turning her head around Melinda's face looked placid as if she had not a care in the world right now. "In Denmark we have a saying, giv kun de værdige, for at de ikke bider." That made her think of home possibly too much. She half frowned. "Loosely translated..."

 "Give only to the dogs who won't bite, yes I know that saying very well. Its remarkable child isn't it how things do not change even after millions of years. That idiom was popular among our people long before we even took to the stars." What she didn't say was that also her language and that of Melinda's were almost the same.

 "Oh...wow..." She was stunned, Melinda turned frontwards to ready for the take off and the others to take their seats.

Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on May 12, 2018, 11:06:20 AM
Zelenka

Radek walked up the jumper ramp and made his way to the co pilot seat, talking to Sunniva as he did so.

"Yes..yes, that was a big film,  or,  as the great Fox Mulder says, Trust No One"

He looked shifty eyed as he sat in his seat, and gave Mel a quick grin
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on May 14, 2018, 05:29:03 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese enjoyed watching the kids.  Things were settling down a bit and thanks to Sunniva, Brina and her baby were safe.    It was also good to hear that at least some races still showed hospitality.

She groaned.  "Yes it would be nice to have her back soon." They had a lot on their plates right now and could use the extra hand again.  She moved to sit down, feeling a bit worn out now.   She chose to just listen as the others talked.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on May 15, 2018, 09:18:42 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/t0wV2.jpg) (https://i.imgfly.me/2eW7R.jpg)

<Jumper 6>

 "Ah yes, your entertainment media, I am only slightly familiar with it Doctor. It may or may not surprise you to learn that both your radio and televised broadcasts are captured in the vastness of space and although my own race has only recently returned to your galaxy many of those we are familiar of have told of your transmissions. Albeit as expected they do take many years to reach the eyes and ears of the galactic viewers." That was about as much as you might hear spoken from Sunniva in a day, normally thrifty with her words unless she has something relevant to say. She joined the others in the forward cockpit sitting behind Radek.

 Mel looked back at Reese, gave her the thumbs up then closed the rear door as soon as Kara was in. "Hopefully she's sorted out those problems with the people she had to visit, I understand they were once friends of the Genii until recently." She gave the controls all her concentration, literally 'thinking' to herself 'take off' and that is exactly what the jumper did, lifting off smoothly to head back to Atlantis.

 <<To Atlantis>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: DanielRyder on May 16, 2018, 07:10:10 PM
(https://cdn.nickpic.host/images/pUZB6P.jpg)

< Jumper Six >

Entering the Puddle Jumper and sitting down, Kara frowned and stared at Zelenka with confusion. She had no idea what he was talking about. Opening her mouth, she hesitated trying to figure out what she should say and inquired, "Who is Fox Mulder?"

Sunniva was half right. Kara did indeed hear the transmissions, she was just too busy going about her duty to even bother listening to them all. Exhaling a sigh, she wished they were at Atlantis already. She was slowly growing agitated in the small quarters of the Puddle Jumper with a lot of people talking.

<< To Atlantis >>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on May 17, 2018, 09:14:42 AM
Zelenka

Radek looked around at Kara and grinned

"A  man who was relentless in his pursuit of the unexplained"

He felt that was all that was needed to be said as the jumper took off and headed for Atlantis



<<<<Atlantis>>>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on May 17, 2018, 09:19:20 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

>jumper 6>

Reese thought for a minute.   "I think You're right.  Guess that is quite important." It would be good to have Jennifer back though.  She settled back for the journey back to Atlantis.

<<to Atlantis>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on July 31, 2018, 04:41:13 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

<From Atlantis>

"I have to admit, I didn't get to see the Mainland when we showed up on Atlantis. Should probably some familiarization of the place at some point." Michelle commented.

"What did you do?" Ronon asked from one of the cockpit seats.

"Showed up, got settled in, went to go shoot at the Rebel Genii. Not too unusual for us, all things considered." Michelle replied, chuckling.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on July 31, 2018, 05:59:31 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg) 

<< from Atlantis >>

Reese looked around with a smile.   "The Mainland is gorgeous and the people are extremely friendly," she chimed in , overhearing Michelle.  She just wished one of these times she could come and visit instead of being on a mission.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 01, 2018, 08:08:03 AM
McKay

McKay chimed in, keeping his eyes   facing front

"It's like any other mainland, green, brown,  a smattering of colour,with a collection of humans, nothing to see here...anyway, there's the LZ",  He emphasized the letters, and grinned smugly,"See, I picked up a little jargon"

Radek rolled his eyes and muttered

"Just land already, Rambo"


Mckay turned  to face Radek and glared at him for a few seconds, which Radek ignored, then pointed

"Your'e veering"


McKay looked startled and looked back through the screen, he corrected the course slightly and proceeded to land in a huge space surrounded by trees.


"Ok troops, we are here"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 03, 2018, 12:52:32 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Well, look at you, keeping up with OPSEC, like you've been riding with us in DEVGRU. But you better set us down PDQ so we can get Oscar-Mike to the AO. KSK, ETAK, NAVSPECWAR, FTW TTYL LOL." Michelle said, barely able to keep a straight face.

She then turned back to their new arrival, "I'm sorry, I didn't get your name. Kind of rude of me." She said, finally breaking up laughing a little before extending an Oakley gloved hand.

"Okay, how much of that nonsense you just said actually meant anything?" Ronon asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Oh, it meant stuff, just nothing related. Relax, Doc, I'm just giving you a hard time. Besides, it's not exactly like you're Mister Personable. You were quiet as hell during the Genii op, now you're back to what everyone says you're like." Michelle said, pre-empting the argument.

As soon as they set down, Ronon and Michelle began to gather up the weapons and ammo that weren't already on Michelle's person.

"Y'all are going to want the ear and eye protection. I'm sure you can deal with explosions in the distance, but folks who've never been around a .50 cal going off tend to find it a shock." Michelle added.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 04, 2018, 01:55:52 PM
McKay

Radek


Radek grinned like a cheshire cat at Michelle, and relished the look on McKay's face, he was bamboozled

"Oh, very funny"  McKay said sarcastically, tilting his head slightly to the right

"See if you feel like playing when you strap this big boy to your arm"
McKay coughed and looked away and walked down the ramp, almost embarrassed by what he had said "Ok kids, lets go fire it up, Radek, get the shield going" And he waved his hand at him, signaling him to hurry up, while casting a quick glance at Michelle hoping that she had an attention span of a goldfish, but he knew he wasn't that lucky

Radek grinned as he passed him on the ramp
"I suggest you blind her with science, not acronyms"

That earned him a McKay dead eye
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 05, 2018, 08:01:32 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese laughed and shook Michelle 's hand.  "Dr. Reese Prescott.  I'm the tag along just in case someone gets hurt," she smiled.  "Hopefully though my services aren't needed. "
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 05, 2018, 08:11:38 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Glad to meet you, Doc. I hope Bones hasn't been causing you any trouble. He's always grouchy, but that's why we love him." Michelle said as she got out of her seat.

She then just looked at Rodney for a moment as she hefted up the TAC-50.

"...you sure I got this? I dunno, I just get this impression I'm going to have a hard time or something. Call it a disturbance in the Force..." Michelle commented dryly.

Ronon grunted a chuckle as he helped pick up the remaining weapons and ammo cans, before moving out to where everything was set up. Luckily, that also included some folding chairs and two folding tables. Michelle set down the rifle before opening up one of the ammo cans and pulling out a folded up tarp, which she unfolded on a clear bit of ground facing the shield. She then moved the TAC-50 onto the tarp, racking open the massive grooved bolt and then set the two large magazines, which held all of 5 rounds of .50BMG rounds, next to the rifle.

She moved on to the other three weapons on the table, racking open the breach to the M203, swinging open the M32 MGL so that the empty cylinder drum was exposed, and then pulled the bolt back to open it on the AA-12, setting it on the table with no magazine inserted. Only her Mk. 17 SCAR-H and the P226R in its holster on her thigh remained as they were.

Finally, she turned her cap around backwards and grabbed a pair of ear protectors from another one of the ammo cans, hanging them around her neck.

"Alright, Doc, let's test your toy, and then I want to conduct an experiment of my own. I didn't bring all this out because I was trying to impress anyone. Sheppard and the security team were engaging the Vanir shield using G36s and P90s, those fire relatively low caliber rounds. I want to see if the shield reacts to different calibers, including explosive rounds, all the way up to what'll happen if a Fifty Cal hits it. Might help if you need to do any improvements." Michelle said.

"And I want to make sure I can do any damage or not." Ronon added.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 06, 2018, 11:04:59 AM
McKay


Zelenka


Rodney walked over to Ronon

"I'm almost sure you could do damage to it, with sustained fire, but whether or not you could penetrate it, well, we shall see, you know, you could let me see how that works one day and how do you charge it up?  is it like a phone, plug it in a socket? I'm amazed how the power never seems to diminish, maybe if we meet the travellers again they would let me have one, you know, just to tinker with"He looked at Ronon and gave him a flash of a grin as he turned to look at Radek and shouted

"Haven't you got that running yet?  Do I have to do everything myself?"He strode over to him as the shield lit up, and Radek mumbled

"Yes. yes you do, or so you constantly keep telling me"He sighed

"I heard that"He said as he looked down at the tablet"Ok, we need to ramp up the power, to get it juuuust right"

Radek fiddled with a small box that was powering  the shield and the hum rose

McKay held up his arm

"Yes, hold it....there, great, it seems to be all ready...so. He spun round as he spoke and pointed at them all
.....ready when you are"
 

Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 06, 2018, 02:11:52 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Wouldn't you like to know." Ronon said, as a statement, not a question. Ronon hardly ever let anyone touch his weapon, and that wasn't about to change. Anyone who wanted one of their own, well, they had to get in line.

Michelle finished attaching the device to her right wrist, over her fatigues and tactical gloves. Once at was done, she stepped up to the firing line. Taking the Mk. 17 up in a ready stance, she sighted in one of the targets under the protection of the shield that glowed yellow between her and it. Once satisfied, she lowered the rifle slightly, just to return the barrel to aiming at the grass.

Ronon noticed it wasn't quite the same as how he had seen Sheppard and his people in a firing stance. He hadn't noticed when bullets were flying in that Genii bunker, but the way Mako carried themselves was also different. Different even to O'Neil, and wasn't she from their unit? Humans were odd this way, but this group at least had an appreciation for firepower. The P90 always felt like a toy in his massive hands, at least these weapons weren't quite the case...

"Okay, Doc, how's this supposed to go down. Does the blast weaken it and then I start putting steel on target?" Michelle asked, not breaking her stance.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 06, 2018, 07:22:16 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

"Nope all's been good," Reese grinned.  Of course she Hadn't been around the others much.  She hefted her bag to her shoulder and followed the others.  She was curious just what they were up to.  Reese kept quiet as the others talked.  This was all out of her zone.  Although maybe she would learn something.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 07, 2018, 12:12:24 PM
McKay


Radek ran out of the way and stood next to the jumper

McKay watched as he ran past, saying nothing

"It should, with continuous fire, be able to punch thro the shield no problem, the combined power of Earth weapon    and the  Vankulaff,..I just thought up that name  He grinned and chuckled quickly, looking smugly at everyone......     .....should take out the suit as well, there might be a bit of a kick to it, but that can't be helped, we didn't have time to sort that out..soooo....
He swung the top half of his body to look at Michelle

"You may commence"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 08, 2018, 12:46:29 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Okay, everyone, this includes you, Doctor Prescott. Everyone think up a better name for this thing before we get back, or it goes in my report as Master Blaster." Michelle said, "Clear. Lane is hot." She called out, mostly as a precaution. No one was standing ahead of her, but instinct and training still told her to call out as such.

The first problem wasn't the device's recoil, that was well overstated by Rodney. But trying to use it along her rifle while maintaining a grip was causing shots to go wide from it. She twisted the rifle to the side, recalling seeing something from an old Nintendo 64 game like this, and the shots were more in line. As soon as the first couple blasts hit the shield, she followed up with semi-automatic fire from her Mk. 17.

There was a satisfying ping as the heavy 7.62mm NATO rounds hit their target, which stopped after the fifth round and the rounds started to be stopped by the shield again. Repeating the process, she twisted the rifle to the side, shot the shield with the device, and popped another four rounds. This went on until all 20 rounds were expended from the SCAR.

Ronon watched with arms crossed, the rifle having a much more satisfying report than the other weapons he saw usually used by the humans. He wasn't really all that sold on the tan color of the rifle, and it seemed to be thrown together from hard angles at the front but the stock was more rounded, and kind of reminded him of a boot. But from the sound of it as Michelle fired it, and she seemed to have it well under control, it seemed to have a lot more kick, but he only counted 20 shots. So it had far fewer rounds held in it too.

Michelle kept her position as she gingerly ejected the magazine, taking care not to let her palm hit the mag. She almost reached for another mag when she shook her head, instead thumbing the bolt release to slam the bolt back forward into battery without a round in the chamber. Keeping the rifle pointed down range, she pulled the trigger to dry fire it, with just a *click* before lowering it.

"Range clear, line is cold." She said. She then stepped from the firing line to approach Rodney and Radek.

"The blast itself seems to give about a five to eight second window. I was being deliberate in my aim, but you could get a good couple bursts from a P90 or M4 with that. Even this thing I could probably burst fire and get more than if I went for semi-auto. But does it have to be arm mounted? I feel like the possibility of accidental discharge during like reloading or swapping weapons is a problem." Michelle said. Her tone was no longer so bemused or sarcastic, it was now very serious and analytical.

"This is kind of why I wanted to go with just an Intar-style ammo, but the ergonomics are the real problem here. Maybe we should re-mount this to weapons like the Kull Disruptor, but you can still use the trigger setup like you've got here. Run a trigger line down to the grip of the weapon in question, like the push toggles used for tactical lights. Means you don't have to awkwardly shift to aim the...device. Recoil is minimal, despite your insistence to the contrary, most rail mounts are pretty sturdy. Hell, that's what we mount grenade launchers and 12 gauge shotguns under our assault rifles to." Michelle continued.

"...you mount shotguns to your guns?" Ronon asked.

"Yeah. Nasty surprise in close quarters but it's handier for breaching doors quickly." Michelle replied with a grin. The concept was known as "Masterkey", put a short barrel shotgun under an assault rifle, blast the hinges off a door with slugs, kick the door in and with some quick hand movements, you were back to your assault rifle to engage whoever was in the room.

"Cool." Ronon chuckled in approval.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 08, 2018, 05:16:00 AM
Radek

Rodney

Radek was the first to speak

"It does look a little uncontrollable, I think the idea of mounting it onto an Earth weapon to be a good idea, maybe something like  AK12 would work?"

Radek didn't know much about Earth weapons, but he had heard something about this one.

McKay snorted at the name change and looked away from them, then back, rolling his eyes as he spoke
"Well, forgive me, but we had no idea you were going to try and use them at the same time as your other weapon, we figured some would shoot these and the others use normal weapons, thus making it easier, but if that is what you want....we could make it so,  Radek, grab the weapon.. and the name was perfectly ok... not at all boring, like ...master blaster, sounds like a super soaker.. He turned to look at Michelleso...what weapon would you like us to attach this to, and I am sure we could use it as it is, just detach the wrist controls, and put the main beam device onto a weapon of your choice.....so, what will it be?"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 08, 2018, 05:24:34 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

"Master Blaster?" Reese asked with a chuckle.  "A bit catchy but it reminds me of what a child would play with."  She would do her best to help think of a name.  Until then though she was staying out of the way.  Weapons weren't her thing.  She was only here to make sure they had medical help if they got hurt and hopefully wouldn't need it.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 09, 2018, 11:15:48 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"I like where you went with that, but not my point, and the Russians would as soon give up that piece of hardware as soon as your government would give up the 805 BREN to us." Michelle said to Radek. The AK-12 was the hottest piece of hardware in Russia, rumored to be chambered off the shelf in 6.5mm Grendel, but it was more likely to go back to 5.45mm or 7.62mm Soviet calibers. And the Czech 805 BREN looked like it was the SCAR's cousin, but just as their Vz. 58 looked like an AK copy, the truth was far more complicated.

"Guys, you're thinking of this in terms of separate weapons like the Anti-Replicator Gun. But we're not in 1991, rail mounts can make your lives so much easier with this." Michelle pulled the sling her Mk. 17 over her head to lay the weapon down on the table. "See these bumpy ridges, the top one extending the entire length of the receiver, plus the two smaller ones on the side at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and then the mid-length one from the front to the mag well? That's a rail mount. MIL-STD-1913 is the indexing name for it, it's also known as Picannty for the first manufacturer. Anyways. Every optic, tactical light, laser aiming device, foregrip, even our grenade launchers and Masterkey shotguns all use this mounting system."

"They make P90s now with a flat top rail mounting system, granted you lose the integrated dot sight, but you can put whatever you want in place of that. And it has two side rail mounts on either side of that point for like tactical lights, or...the device in question today. Hell, some handguns have the under barrel mount." She pulled her P226R from its holster, keeping the barrel pointed away from everyone present as it was loaded, revealing that it had a short rail mount under the barrel.

"The reason I'm making my case as such is that I'm not in this level of physical shape because I'm planning to get into the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition." She grinned, Michelle was hardly oblivious to her looks, even before all the grunting alpha male wannabes her career field was full of. "My gear is already heavy. Do you want to carry anything more into the field? Plus, switching weapons in the middle of a firefight is a liability waiting to happen. Someone could get injured or killed as a result. Making a universal rail mounting system makes this all so much easier for all of us. You don't have to try to make specific weapon mounts or modify a weapon, just a one-size fits all. I'd say if it can fit on a P90's rail system, that's the baseline. It'll work on everything else with a rail mount just fine."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 09, 2018, 04:51:26 PM
McKay

Zelenka

Rodney stood looking at her with his arms folded
"Well, I didn't understand half of that, not having a great understanding of weapons...actually none whatsoever, so.... "He raised his finger to say something else and Radek stopped him, he looked at Michelle

"We will fix it, so it goes on all weapons with the mount no problem,  I just need the device back" and he whispered to her "Please do not poke the dragon"He was almost pleading, as he knew if someone upset him it was he that would never hear the last of it
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 10, 2018, 05:24:08 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"I literally just tried to explain it to you...just...ugh. Fine, take the damn thing. Worse than my friggin' ex-husband..." She growled, removing the device from her wrist and handing it back to Radek.

"So...can I shoot at it now?" Ronon asked, trying to change the subject.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 10, 2018, 05:54:27 PM
McKay

Zelenka
"He must have been a very patient man, we will have  this ready for you in a few hours, will that make you happy?"

Zelenka, who was trying to ignore McKay who was using his usual charm to win friends and influence people, looked over to Ronon,
"Yes, go ahead, I will leave the shield on, but I will remain of course in case something happens, Rodney will sort out the weapon, unless you want to stay here Rodney"
Rodney looked at Michelle and figured it was time for him to leave or she would definately put a bullet in him

"No no, I will sort this out, I can work faster without you, so, I will be back shortly, Doctor would you care to  take off the medical bags, you may need them" He said to Reese, as he took one last look at the people and the field
"Try not to break the shield"

Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 10, 2018, 06:12:41 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese wasn't about to admit that a lot of the weapons talk went above her head.  She understood bits and pieces, but not much.  Although she could tell Michelle was trying to explain it simply to the nerds, herself included.  She had to grin at that thought.  Unfortunately there were some things that were just impossible to learn.

She glanced at Rodney.  "Ooh, I had hoped not to need the packs, but thanks for the warning."  She swung her bags to the ground at her feet, hoping this little demonstration didn't get anyone injured.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 11, 2018, 01:48:51 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Patience is me not punching your teeth down your throat, you smarmy Canuck bastard. Good lord, I tried to explain it, I used visual cues, but nope. Just treat me like every other hot blonde from Las Vegas; a dumb bimbo two seconds away from changing her name to Candi and looking for her next sugar daddy." Michelle scowled, her right hand clenching into a fist before she felt a massive hand on her shoulder.

"Easy. Besides, yelling at him won't do any good. Just let him go work and if I have to, I'll talk to Sheppard." Ronon said evenly. He then looked at Rodney as he was leaving, "And she did explain it pretty well, I thought. But you should probably go." They were friends and all, but Ronon wasn't above pointing out when Rodney was acting like a real horse's backside. Maybe he'd talk to Jen when they got back, see if maybe she could get through to him.

Michelle didn't say a word until after Rodney left, just taking several deep breaths.

"I'm sorry Doctor Zelenka, but I don't think I could have explained it any clearer to him. I had a visual cue and everything. Look, you have my sympathies and again, I'm sorry. But people like him are why I had to fight to become a SEAL." Michelle explained. "And for the record, my ex-husband was a real piece of crap. Caught him cheating on me, in our shower. Worthless sack of crap, said I was making him feel like less of a man. Puh-lease..." Michelle rolled her eyes at that.

"Sounds like he lost out. But some folks don't know what they had until they throw it away." Ronon said in a rare moment of being insightful. He stepped up to the firing lane and drew his Particle Magnum. With a hum, the weapon came to life and he began firing at the shield. Surprisingly, it only took two blasts before the third got through and hit the target. However, that blast was reduced in power.

The fourth, however, not only got through, but hit the target with full power and blew it into plywood splinters. Ronon cracked a grin as he lowered the Magnum, powering it down and then holstered it.

"I'm no expert, doctor, but I'm thinking the combination of it being an energy weapon and just the sheer power behind it did the trick. Looked like the third shot got through with only part of the power still left. Might be worth noting if we need to upgrade these things." Michelle said to Zelenka.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 11, 2018, 08:55:33 AM
Zelenka

McKay

Rodney turned to look at Michelle and with a whine and holding out his hands

"When did this suddenly escalate into  violence, it never solves anything you know"


He looked perplexed,at  Michelle, he turned and left for the jumper, he heard Ronon's voice and waving his hand, continued to walk away

"Of course she did, see you all later"


Radek shook his head and he sighed

 
"Rodney can be very obtuse at times, and I think he likes you, that is why he is acting like a bigger arse  than is usual for him, I am sure he understood, it is best to ignore him, let him get on with it...Ronon, that weapon is impressive almost close to our weapon, sure you won't let us have a little peek at the inside of it?"
Radek grinned at him, knowing the answer would probably be a long stare, but it was worth a try

There was a soft whirring whine as the jumper took off back to Atlantis

<<To Atlantis>>>
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 12, 2018, 08:02:49 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese was completely confused by what had happened.   How had things taken such a bad turn? She walked up to the others, studying the weapon Michelle held.  "Did I miss something or is he always like that?" She asked,  glancing toward where Rodney disappeared.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 14, 2018, 02:58:33 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"I'll deal with it later. But this isn't over." Michelle said, taking a deep breath and draping the Mk. 17's sling back over her.

"Sorry, no can do, Doc." Ronon said with a chuckle. That answer was not ever going to change.

"Alright, let's see how explosive rounds work on the shield. Doctor Prescott, this is probably where the danger starts. Right now, the risk level is pretty minimal, but I didn't get this far disregarding safety." Michelle said as she swung the Mk. 17 around to her back and picked up the AA-12 shotgun.

"I'm running two magazines of Frag-12 explosive shotgun shells through this thing. Doctor, can you monitor the shield's integrity and let me know how it handles the stress? Depending on how it reacts, I may not risk firing full size grenade rounds at it." Michelle said as she grabbed one of the two stick magazines for the plastic looking shotgun. In fact, it didn't even look like a shotgun, more like a large grey prop looking weapon, like an incomplete laser gun prop.

Ronon had seen this thing in action, but with circular drums loaded in it, during the attack on the Genii base. If it was like the shotguns that were used against the Replicators, maybe it'd be worth using on the Vanir...

Taking up a position on the "firing line", Michelle slapped a magazine in, grabbed the charging handle and yanked it back, readying the bolt in an open position like a machine gun's bolt. After declaring the line was hot, she shouldered the shotgun and began firing.

The shotgun sounded more like an assault rifle as it fired;

THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUD!

Anyone who had seen the USAS-12s in action against the Replicators would recognize the sound, but it was much faster and it also appeared as if Michelle had better control of this weapon. But the imapacts were much more spectacular. It looked like small explosions were rippling all over the shield. It was hard to tell, though, if any fragments were getting through the shield.

On the last round, Michelle angled the shotgun's barrel up slightly, used her off-hand to grab the second magazine from her webbing and brought it to the weapon. Her reloading style cut down seconds by resting the fresh magazine along the empty one, releasing the latter to slide free and then slapped in the new one. Her off hand slapped the mag on the base once before reaching up to grab the triangular charging handle again, pulling hard back on it to open the bolt once more, and fired off another 8 shells in rapid succession.

The effect was the same from a visual perspective. After the last shot, Michelle removed this magazine, knelt down to collect the one she dropped, and returned to the others. She lowered her ear protection, the AA-12 was NOT a quiet weapon by any stretch (her ears were still ringing from Ice shooting from the elevator in that bunker...) and cracked a grin as she set both the shotgun and magazines on the table.

"By the way, if anyone wants to tighten up their skills, my shooters and I are willing to help. We're setting up an indoor practice area, and I've asked Colonel Sheppard to ensure everyone in the Expedition runs it at least once. That'll include both of you Doctors. You might not be a trigger puller like me or Ronon, but even Woolsey got caught behind enemy lines once when the Replicators overran Atlantis. Having some survival skills might be what keeps you from getting hurt or killed." Michelle explained. "Don't expect you guys to keep up with Mako, but just some basics will help everyone, I think. Heard tell that when that memory affecting flu hit the city, you gave the security guys a run for their money, Doctor Zelenka. Dunno if either of you go into the field very much, but just helps to be prepared."
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 14, 2018, 05:34:11 PM
Zelenka

Zelenka went over to one of the cases      where he had set his tablet down and picked it up as Michelle was preparing to fire, he moved  about five foot to one side of her and watched the screen.

" Yes, .....everything is a bit of a blur,.....He waved his hand dismissively and coughed, pushing his glasses along    the bridge of his nose, he seemed a little embarrassed by that memory and he changed the subject fast.  He observed Michelle as she took aim and waited till she had finished......It's definitely  weakening the shield, but I think it needs to be fired at a faster rate, sorry"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 14, 2018, 08:10:32 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese nodded.  "I'll be ready.  Better to be safe than sorry," she grinned,.  She'd be ready to jump in if and when they needed help.


Reese watched curiously.   This was all very new to her, yet interesting as well.  She was shocked by Michelle's offer though.   "I might take you up on that.  I don't want to be a liability if something were to happen." As a doctor she could be sent into the field at any time.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 15, 2018, 03:04:40 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Hmm. Maybe if we had two firing at once. But good to know. Alright, let's try the Fifty Cal now, and then we'll try something with the grenade launchers. Then we'll pack it in, unless either of your Docs want to try out my SCAR." She said, referring to the Mk. 17 still on her back. She headed over to the large bolt action rifle on the tarp. removing the Mk. 17 from her back to set it aside.

"Oh. You guys are totally going to want your ear protection for this. And yeah, you will feel the shockwave from this going off. Won't blow you away but may give you a weird feeling in your gut for a second. It's pretty cool." Michelle said with an even wider grin before she turned her cap around backwards and pulled her ear protection back on.

She laid down prone with the rifle, picking up one of the large 5 round magazines and rocked it into place. Then she worked the bolt forward to cycle a round into the chamber, rotating the bolt handle down to lock the bolt into position, and pulled the rifle into her shoulder.

After that, she peered through the powerful Leopuld scope, putting the crosshairs on the target. At this range, the shot was child's play for her and this rifle. The Canadians used it in Afghanistan to land shots out to 2430 meters, the longest recorded sniper kill from 2002 to 2009 when a British corporal with an L115A3 in .338 Lapua Magnum hit out to 2475 meters. And one day, she hoped to get on that list too. Better still if she topped the 1920m shot by a certain Chief Petty Officer peer of hers...

She thumbed the safety off and took in a breath, letting it out slowly as she pulled her finger back to the break weight of the McMillan rifle...

Even Ronon was impressed by the massive report from the rifle. It was almost like a small explosion, and he did feel the shockwave of it, and just like she said, it was a weird sensation in his gut area mostly. He was going to have to ask Sheppard where all these good weapons were hiding from him, clearly humans had a better understanding of firepower than he had given them credit for...

The massive .50 BMG round hit the shield, and there was a noticeable ripple, but surprising still was that the shield didn't stop the bullet, rather it absorbed the impact and tried to act against the velocity to stop it. It was much easier to see with the larger round, and through the scope, Michelle could see the round trying to force its way through, before it got through but fell well short with most of its energy depleted.

Michelle opened the bolt but did not cycle a second round in. Instead, she removed her ear protection and looked up at Zelenka.

"Did you see that? That's why energy weapons are more effective, I think that thing is trying to actually stop the bullet. That'd explain the lack of any sort of ricochet or deflection, I bet if you guys had looked when that Vanir had attacked, you'd find every single round Sheppard and the others fired all over the floor."

"That's not news, is it?" Ronon asked.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Mim on August 15, 2018, 11:05:47 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2bW9v.jpg)

*Radio*

 "Doors are open Doctor McKay, you are clear to land."

 @Teddy
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 21, 2018, 12:51:52 PM
Zelenka

Radek moved a little closer to the force shield and looked around it

"Yes yes, you are correct, it appears to cushion the ammunition as opposed to deflection, so,  continuous firing from our...He was about to use the name that McKay had given the weapon and stopped himself"....I will not use that stupid name,  but the  hybrid should help clear a path for the bullets"
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 21, 2018, 08:08:02 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese watches in disbelief.  She had never seen anything quite like the weapons Michelle was demonstrating.  "Wow! I've never seen anything like those before." She didn't want to think about the damage they could do.  As a doctor that was always her first concern.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 24, 2018, 12:49:23 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"Well. I think that was the most informative part about this. Assuming we can get enough of those attached to our weapons, we should be in good shape. Armor itself isn't a problem, but I'd say we probably have all the data we're going to get." Michelle said, standing up.

"So. Hey. How are we getting back with the ship gone?" Ronon asked.

"...oh for the love of...he's right. We're gonna need a beam over or someone has to send him back here." Michelle replied.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Teddy on August 25, 2018, 04:01:59 PM
McKay

Zelenka


*radio*


Radek, Shepperd is sending a jumper for you, I want you to get back here and  finish the weapon off, it shouldn't take long, I've done most of the work"

 *radio*

"Understood Rodney"

He turned to Ronon
"Well, that seems to be sorted now"


Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on August 26, 2018, 12:24:45 AM
(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

"I guess so." Ronon said with a shrug, before glancing to Michelle, "Can I..."

"Oh, yeah, knock yourself out." Michelle replied. While Michelle still watched the shield, Ronon spent the time firing the remaining .50BMG rounds that she had brought along. By that time, the Jumper landed.

(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319692530864095234/340386738633703425/Sheppard_logo.jpg)

Once settled down, Sheppard lowered the ramp and made his way out to rejoin the others.

"...bring enough weapons, Lieutenant?" Sheppard asked.

"Had to do some proper science, sir." Michelle replied with a bit of a grin.

"I like the way she does science. I thought you said it was all just a lot of math and big words." Ronon commented, already loading some of the weapons into the Jumper.

"That is not science, Chewie. Also, who brought a Fifty Cal?" Sheppard asked. Michelle's eyes practically lit up when Sheppard threw out Ronon's nickname.

"She wanted to see what it did with the shield. Pretty cool. Also, my gun still tops what you humans have, so I'd say I learned a lot." Ronon quipped.

"Yes, sir. Very informative information. Thanks to Doctor Zalenka for making sure we have some valuable data and Doctor Prescott for keeping us from getting hurt." Michelle said, "Also, sir, did you call him Chewie? As in Chewbacca? As in..."

"Yeah. But only I get to call him that. Because...well, I said so." Sheppard said, helping to load the remaining gear aboard the Jumper.

"You can call me that too. I don't get it, but figure since you let me shoot your rifle, fair's fair." Ronon said with a grin.

It was clear that the SEAL was about half a second away from making a "squee" noise, being a huge sci-fi nerd herself. She and Deuce would drive the rest of Mako absolutely nuts talking over lore for hours on end, to say nothing of the various American and Greek teams they had already driven insane doing so back at Souda Bay.

"Yeah, well, I didn't just come to play soccer mom because I was bored. Rhiase and Todd are in orbit to meet with us aboard the Dreadnought. Radek, you're going to take over for Rodney since I'm grabbing him. Ronon, Hanley, and Reese, you're with me. I want you guys sitting in for obvious reasons. Hanley since you're taking point on the tactical matters, Reese since you're Medical, Rodney because he needs to present the new weapon info, and Ronon because I don't like Rhiase." Sheppard explained.
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: sorra on August 28, 2018, 04:10:30 PM
(https://i.imgfly.me/2ubmP.jpg)

Reese blinked in shock.  "Seriously? He took the jumper?" She shook her head a bit.  That didn't seem right at all.

Before she could really complain though a jumper showed up with Sheppard at the helm.  And Chewie? Now she was confused.  Of course she hadn't worked with any of them much.  She nodded a bit as she listened to Sheppard.  "Of course, sir.  I'll be there. "
Title: Re: The Mainland
Post by: Cipherhornet18 on September 02, 2018, 03:29:19 PM
(https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/319692530864095234/340386738633703425/Sheppard_logo.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/2fZUY.jpg)

(https://i.imgfly.me/sv4fu.jpg)

"Alright, let's get going. We'll pick up Rodney and head straight up there. We'll leave the firepower behind, though." Sheppard said.

"My day was going so well, right up until you said her name. You sure I can't bring one of these?" Michelle asked as she took a seat up near the front.

"I don't get why we're dealing with her. They're going to make us do all the fighting, Sheppard. Just like with the Replicators." Ronon commented, heading up to the cockpit.

"Yeah, well, you can bring that up to her, then." Sheppard said. He waited for the others to get on board before closing the ramp and flying back to Atlantis.

>To Atlantis Jumper Bay>