Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Atlantis: Research Laboratory E - Doctor M. Olofsson  (Read 2432 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 208
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: Atlantis: Research Laboratory E - Doctor M. Olofsson
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:53 AM »

Well come on Reese! Melinda giggled to herself, seemingly thinking she'd opened up a huge portal for her friend to jump right into. "It was a great place for growing up really, like I mean simple things like this short bread. Everything was local, even though we had the big supermarkets just like everywhere else does, for us, they were mainly the places that migrants and tourists and people on holidays did their shopping. For us locals we preferred shopping where we could get things that were made in our own country, the things that generations of Danes were used to. I guess that might sound a little xenophobic to some people, but it was natural for us." She sat back munching on one of the biscuits for a moment then continued.

"Growing up there was fabulous to. Nature was all around us even though its a big city. The sea surrounded as we're on an island and Sweden was just across a bridge. School, well now that was something else again, it wasn't the best experience for me. What about where you came from?"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:31:26 PM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:49 AM »

Reese laughed sheepishly.  "Sorry that was kind of not paying attention on my part.  I can be a bit thick headed at times," she admitted.  "I'm from Milwaukee.  Despite being born and raised in a city the country was where I always wanted to be.  Although my brother and I constant got into trouble as kids.  I think my parents were ready to give up on us at times," she giggled. 

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 11:11:18 PM »

"Hey, that's my claim Reese, no one in the Universe could be as thick headed as I am." She laughed merrily, which set of some chittering from some of her animal charges. Little John hadn't noticed so she gently took him away. "I'll put him back with Momma now, she'll notice sooner than later." Mel took the baby back to the enclosure, laying him down quietly next his sleeping sister; she stood back and smiled at them, having no idea now how she'd ever take them back to wild, yet knowing she had to at some point.

Getting back to the table, she sipped on her coffee before speaking, it was still hot thankfully. "Milwaukee? I have heard of that city, it is well known for beer is it not? My geography is not the best when it comes to America, it is so big. The only place I am familiar with is New York and only because of my father. Your taste is much as mine Reese. While I adore Copenhagen, I prefer the rural areas more so, that or the sea. Please tell me more of the trouble you and your brother got into. For me, it was just me." Sadly her life was mostly solitary until she fell into bad company.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 08:16:12 AM »

Reese smiled broadly. "Can we blame it on being blonde?" she asked with a laugh.  It felt odd to not have John in her arms but she understood that he needed to be back with his mother.  The little guy was so cute.  She was grateful that Mel had let her help with them.

She chuckled a bit.  "That is it.  I never acquired a great taste for beer though."  Reese wrinkled her nose.  "New York is way too big." She grinned a bit.  "Oh let's see, we drove our parents crazy.  We were always getting into some mishap with the local kids.  Sometimes we played tricks on each other and other times we got huge games of ball going."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 03:08:50 AM »

"Definitely!" Mel laughed. She was so glad she had at least now made friends with Reese. Having Juliet away had put a hole in her friendships with Jennifer off world for an extended period of time, so it had been quite lonely for the young Vet. Besides they were getting on so well. She wasn't about to spoil that.

She smiled again, at least she managed to get that part right. "If my father had been aware which I am sure he was at the time he was with the UN, I'm confident had we spent longer in the US, we would have visited your city Reese, he is quite fond of beer." Being a Dane why wouldn't he? "I drove my parents literally insane with my teenage years, I fell into a local street gang, out of boredom I expect. It didn't last long, but long enough to give them both grey hair."

Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »

Reese grinned.  Maybe the saying was right that blondes had all the fun.  Either way she was enjoying her time with Mel.  She hadn't really had a chance to make any true friends as the two she had met before, Ruby and Mike, were no longer on Atlantis.

Reese laughed a bit.  'I hear it's awesome beer.  Or at least my brother claims it is.  Mine has to be ice cold and I can only drink a little bit."  She was surprised by Mel's next words. "A street gang?  My parents would have killed me.  Landon and I got in enough trouble without adding a gang to the mix."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22:40 AM »

Rubbing her hands together, not because she was cold no, simply because they were having a genuine conversation, not something Mel has been able to do for quite some time. "Yes unfortunately. I have to tell you Reese, I came from quite a privileged background." She took a deep breath and another long sip of coffee. "My parents were already well off despite the fact father is a career diplomat. He has been Ambassador for Denmark at several countries in my lifetime, Italy being the longest post but more recently he was my country's Ambassador to the UN while mother is and has been a teacher of English for as far as my memory serves. Earlier on in my childhood while father was away, she often worked as a private tutor to some very wealthy people not only in Denmark, but Sweden and Germany as well. So she to was well off in her own right. With that came my life of boredom in my early teens, typical rebellion I suppose since often I was left alone which led me to finding excitement on my own." She stopped for a moment, hoping she wasn't boring Reese. "More than anything in the world I wanted to be an athlete and I have done very well, but as a very young teen I had this fascination with skate boards and naturally that led me to meeting some rather shall I say, interesting kids around Copenhagen." There she stopped. For the next part wasn't the most pleasant to recall, unless of course Reese wanted to know.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »

Reese hadn't expected the next part of the story from Mel.  Not that she knew Mel well at all but she was enjoying the conversation.  She just never would have thought that the other blonde came from such a high and privileged family.  Mel seemed too down to earth for parents like that.  Reese shook her head, still in shock. "I never would have guessed.  I guess now I can see why you were so bored."  She looked up at her new friend. "Oh, I can't even imagine what trouble you got into with the gang.  It makes my time of breaking my arm while trying to scale a fence look small."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »

Getting directly to the point Mel didn't 'beat around the bush' as she heard some Australians and New Zealanders often say. "Petty things Reese. It started with graffiti tagging, then the Government placed a ban on minors buying spray paint; for a while older ones would buy it for us but that soon wore off. Then we took to small time theft, it was difficult to do in Hardware stores as they locked the paint up, not so in small shops. From there it escalated, you get this bizarre sense of elation that you got away with something...." She hung her head shamefully. "...one of my friends wanted to drive to Sweden, we were all under age but we thought why not, it'd be fun. We stole a tourists car from a Mall car park, we managed to get about  kilometers before we were stopped. From that point, the Magistrate in the children's court gave me two options, straighten myself out, or go to a correctional facility for teens. I chose the former."
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

Reese stared at her new friend in surprise.  She would never have guessed that about Mel.  The other woman seemed so meek and quiet.  "Wow.  I think you definitely made the right choice.  Your parents must have been worried and mad at the same time." She couldn't even imagine what her parents would have done to her.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2017, 02:48:33 AM »

"I know I did Reese and they were. I don't have a single doubt in mind of my latter choices in life, but do you know more than anything else what got me through all of that, which might have sent many kids into deep depression?" If she had to be totally honest with herself and her friend, she would have told Reese there and then she was about one centimeter away from that dark place. "One of the best things my parents ever pushed me into was track and field, my other dream. My mother in her teens was a sprinter and quite an accomplished one at that, having competed in many events around Europe, but her career was more important so she gave it up when she went to University. For me it was easier as there were far more support programs available to us which included scholarships. After returning to high school simply for the fun of it I watched the kids doing the track, the hurdles in particular and 400 meter events. I asked one of the coaches how hard it was, he took one look at me and said 'well lets find out'. God I skinned my shins so many times in a few weeks, but be damned if I would give up, know what I mean?"

At this point she felt she might be rambling, or blowing her own bags so to speak. Mel paused to reflect on what she had said, realizing that no, it was straight forward, friends getting to know one another. ""By the time I was in year ten I was competing on a regular basis, in my second year of University I won gold at the European indoor track and field in the 100 and 400 meter hurdles. If not for me wanting to be here so much, do you know what I'd be doing now?"
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »

Reese listened quietly.  She had never thought about how hard it was for others even ones with money.  Her family had grown up middle of the road pretty average, but she knew her and Landon were loved.  Sure they got into scrapes and more trouble then she cared to think about but they still had family.  It seemed like Mel's parents hadn't always been there for her.

"Track and field?  Wow.  That's impressive.  I was never good at sports or things like that.  Although give me a hockey stick and I'm happy." She had learned to play hockey early in life when her brother started getting into it. "I've no idea.  What would you be doing now?  Hopefully not getting into trouble," she added with a smile.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:07:30 PM by Mim »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »

Finally Mel found a better reason to smile. "Olympics. If I were back home I'd be doing the trials right now for next year. That was always my dream Reese but in the end I realized that my career and what I do, taking care of animals was far more important. I can still think about the 'senior' games in the future though can't I?" She broke out into a genuine laugh, not something that many had seen her do. "Sports isn't always what people see it to be, it is a lot of hard work." She added at the end.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »

That was not what Reese had expected to hear and it took her a second to process it.  "The Olympics?  Wow.  You must have been really good then."  A grin stole across her face. "Hey one never knows.  We're only as old as we let ourselves feel." Although she knew she wouldn't be doing any senior Olympics.  She would just make a complete fool of herself.  "I don't doubt that it was hard work.  Just playing for a sports team in school took time and effort.  I can't imagine training for the Olympics."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »

"Now we're getting way too serious, bordering on work talk." Mel thought it was time they did something constructive, they'd feed the pups, the other animals were taken care of earlier, Gizmo had been wormed, so now really until there was an emergency in medbay they had free time. "As you've only been here a month with most of that taken up with us all focusing on finding Mike, I guess there is a lot of the city you haven't sen isn't there? Better yet, I'm due to go over to the mainland to look at some of the Athosian animals, would you like to come with me?"
Far Dareis Mai
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4