Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: PG8-K59 Alpha Site Lake District-The Flood  (Read 4530 times)

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!
Re: PG8-K59 Alpha Site Lake District-The Flood
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »

Mike accepted the bowl of porridge with a quiet “Thank you,” and then carefully slid down the log to sit on the ground, resting his back against said log and slowly started eating the porridge, careful not to burn his tongue.
He gave Elle a sideway glance, accompanied with a smile, “Got to admit I don’t feel very hot at the moment though, but I do appreciate the compliment," before patting on the ground next to him, "Now sit. My neck is starting to hurt of me looking up to you and it might be awhile before you get the next opportunity to do so." Same rules no matter if you where a ship's captain or a medical officer - 'Rest when you can and sit when you can.'

"So what do you think?" Mike took another spoonful of porridge before he pointed with the end of his spoon towards the clouds, "Do we have like an hour to do some fishing and then another hour to find us a safe haven to ride that out?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 218
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 10:38:14 PM »

Folding her feet under, Elle sat crossed legged beside Mike, leaning on him a little as her position wasn't quite as comfy as his was, which for her now had changed. Standing there as she had been, was not something she really wanted to do given her height and how it made people look up if they were even just sitting; she was never comfortable with that. "I meant it." She said, her voice carrying on the breeze that threatened to become a wind any moment now. She took some porridge, it was hot but good and would fill their stomachs for the next few hours, that was important now. "If we have time later, I'll give your neck a good rub, there's no point in having this little mini holiday if we can't relax now is there?" The only thing was, old mother nature might be putting a kibosh on their plans and that certainly would suck. Elle looked that the oncoming darkness, she, both of them in fact new how quickly it could turn out here so close to the coast and the lake itself created its own little weather patterns all by itself without help from the sea.

"We'll finish this. I think it'll take the best of twenty minutes to pack everything in the boat. We may get in an hours fishing but we'll need to watch the waves. Once they start getting white tops on them Mike, we make as fast as we can for the Coast Guard base just south of here, there are more sheltered places on the lake; but I'd rather be near some people than get caught isolated, don't you think so?"
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »

Mike held back a small grunt as Elle leaned towards him, it was a tad uncomfortable due to his sore back, but the feeling of being so close to her definitely made it worth while.
He finished up his porridge as he listened to her plans, "But I thought the meaning of this whole trip was to be a bit isolated from the rest of the world," almost expecting a smack on the head for that comment and quickly continued more sobered up, "Agreed. By the looks of those clouds, I'd say it's the only sensible thing to do - head off towards the Coast Guard. I grew up by the big lakes, remember? I know what a storm can do when it comes to big waters."
Mike held out an empty hand towards Elle to take her bowl, "I'll do the dishes if you go secure what we can leave behind until later, ok?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:41 AM »

At least he still had that lovable sense of humor she adored in him, a quirky little bit of wit when it was needed. "Yeah you're right of course Mike, but as of now I'd be calling this as the man said a 'developing situation', or at least one that throws a curved ball at you when least expected." Of course Elle took her own sweet time in finishing the porridge and why shouldn't she, as she knew that if she cooked anything at all it'd be rubbish, so eating something that did turn out nice was a bargain for her. The last scoff of the cereal went down with pleasure so if she had to be thankful for something today, was the fact both of them would be facing something that could turn out rather dangerous; they'd have eaten well. She handed over the empty bowl to him, you'd be forgiven for wondering why it even needed washing. "I remember every detail as if it were my own life Mike. That being said, I'm still a better sailor than you." The smirk on her face said everything, she was half serious only by a hair.

Getting up for a Giraffe was always much harder than getting down, one of Elle's knees cracked audibly as she stood. "Ugh!" There was a slight pain there, something she hadn't noticed before. "Getting old we are." Which probably applied to both of them really, they'd long passed the spring chicken phase. "The only thing we'll leave behind are the ashes of this fire Mike. I'll have us decamped by the time you've finished." With that she went straight to the small tent, Elle didn't muck around with it either, the ties were off, the pegs out in mere seconds, then she was rolling up the light green all weather fabric. Next was their own packs.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »

Mike got up on his feet even less graceful than Elle, but knowing moving around and a bit of pain killers was the only way to go, he only slipped a small grimace.
"Right now you might be a better sailor, but just you wait until I've spent as much time at sea as you have, and I'll beat you by lengths!"
He accepted her bowl, stacked them in to the pot together with the other utensils they've used when preparing their breakfast and a towel and a toothbrush, he headed towards the cliffs that made up a natural harbour on the island.
"Back in a few," he called over his shoulder as he left the clearing.

Sitting down on the cliff, Mike pulled off his boots and socks, pulled up his pants above his knees and waded out a few meters until the cold water reached mid-calf. It had to be a hasty and not very thorough cleaning without hot water or detergent, but for now it would just have to be good enough.
The water was clear and against the slightly brown sea bottom, he could see a small shoal of red and blue fishes getting a free meal from the left-overs of porridge in the pot that slowly sunk towards the bottom.

Ten minutes later, Mike was done and placed the utensils on the cliff next to the boat and headed back towards the camp.
As he entered the clearing, he raised his voice a bit, "Honey! I'm hooome!"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 12:34:12 AM »

"Knots Mike, its knots." Elle wasn't one for correcting people, especially Mike, yet she drew the line in the sand when it came to maritime language. Of course she had a little giggle to herself at the same time as she began the last of the packing.

There wasn't all that much they had done as far as setting up camp, the only thing Elle didn't even bother with was the shower set up. Elle wasn't about to go trudging up that hill again just to rip down a canvas bucket hanging off a tree. So far in her methodical way, she checked off everything, filled their packs, then did a double check nothing had been left behind. The tent had been rolled up, food put back into where it would be safe and dry, that left only the cooking items Mike had been washing. The only thing she left out of the packing was the thermal blanket, Elle figured they might need that.

Dragging everything down to the shore, Elle stopped as she met Mike half way. That one little humorous statement made her day, so there was only one thing she could do. Elle dropped the packs on the ground by her side, threw her arms around Mike and whispered sweet nothings in his ear. "I missed you....Darling could you mow the lawn this afternoon then wash the dog for me pppplease." She almost felt like thumping him in the ribs just for the fun of it, but she knew that would simply ruin his day. Elle pushed gently away from him then, grabbed the pack handles again, except the duffel bag for the cooking gear. "We all set Cap'n?" A parrot on the shoulder was lacking.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 01:04:35 AM »

He returned the embrace and whispered back, “Today I’ll do anything you ask for, love,” then let go when she did and grabbed the remaining bag.
“Yep, all set to go. Come on your lousy excuse of a lubber” Mike grinned back

They quickly hauled the bags in to the boat, stuffing them away safely from getting wet and within minutes they were ready to go with life jackets and rain suites on.
Mike turned the ignition key and the small engine started, ready to slowly take them out of the natural harbor of the island. “Alright, cast off!” he shouted towards the fore where Elle held the boat steady with the final tie.
The storm were definitely approaching in their direction and he really hoped they would be able to reach the Coast guards before it got dangerous. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all. Maybe they should have stayed on land.
Then again, he trusted Elle when it came to things like this, but it didn’t take the uneasy feeling he had in his stomach.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »

Standing knee deep in the water as she held the bow of the boat didn't phase Elle at all, her shoes would dry eventually even if they had that old salty stain on them. She could wash them anyway, that's what they were designed for. The moment Mike had the motor ticking over, she slipped over the gunwales, then steadily crawled back towards Mike's position on the helm. She thought for a long moment of readying the jib sail, but dismissed it instantly, if that wind came up too soon, they'd only lose it anyway; so the little motor would have to do for now.

"Isn't that weird." She said, the wind starting to tug at her hair. "Technically neither of us have been on Terra Firma for quite a while, this present moment in time notwithstanding. I mean yes we've stood on the ground for hours, even a day but in the main we've been space farers for quite a while haven't we?" She decided against using the fishing rod for now and set about rigging a hand line, a little trolling would be easier since they were moving anyway. After a few moments, her line was set, Elle cast it behind them easily with practiced precision. "If we don't get anything, I'm sure the Coast Guard should have a can of beans to share." Her arm went unconsciously around him, it just seemed so natural.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 03:09:23 AM »

As soon as they were free of the cliffs and underwater reefs, Mike tapped in some westwards coordinates on the GPS of the boat, making it able for him to lean back for a while and moved in closer to Elle. He put his nose in his hair and pulled in a deep breath of the mix of open sea air and the sent of the woman he’d come to love. Scary, but all the same pleasant feeling…
“Yeah, if I’m not careful, Celestine might miss me too much and turn out to be un-cooperative once I do get back home.” He really missed working with her - on her, he corrected himself. That old boat wasn’t even half finished…

With a chuckle, Mike gave her a light squeeze around the shoulders, “Let’s hope they have something else, but if bad comes to worse and all they have is beans - promise me you sleep outside the tent and leeward of me, alright?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:34 AM »

The feel of him so close was comforting, maybe a little too much so, as of right now with the waves starting to turn white, the wind from the west picking up a few more knots and those dark clouds they saw earlier beginning to turn green and filling the horizon; this was not a moment of Elle's choosing to get frisky. Coupled with that, the trolling line she had thrown behind them, suddenly went taught on the big yellow reel in her free hand, she had to let it play out or she'd risk losing not only the line, the fish on the other end but her hand as well. "Gawd Mike, you pick the weirdest moments to bring up my nemesis don't you?" She was joking of course, Celestine in all her beautiful timbered glory could take Mike's attention any day of the week, Elle was glad he had something else in his life other than her and work.

"Can you make a slow turn to port?" She asked as she tried to haul in some line, whatever was on the end of the nylon line was large, that much she could tell. "You know beans and fish go together wonderfully with a few spices thrown in. Ask me about Thailand one day.." The line whipped off well to her left side, Elle jumped out of her seat, edging forward, if this kept up she would lose the catch of the day. "Mike hard port...." She looked up at the same time, those clouds were starting to throw lightening down at sea.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2015, 02:33:13 AM »

“Thai recipes or not – leeway still applies!” Reluctantly but quickly, Mike released the grip he’d had on Elle, switched off the autopilot and grabbed the wheel, turning it as per orders. 
As he did, the waves started to hit them more to their side than before, making the boat roll more sideways, “You’d better haul that thing up quickly!” Not that he had a tendency of being sea sick; it was more the fact that he didn’t like the looks of the waves that came awfully close to start splashing over the gunwale. “I’m not sure how long we should keep going sideways like this…”

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:40:52 AM by Northern girl »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:38 AM »

"Whoa!" Elle yelled almost falling backwards into the boat as it began the turn, slow yes, but now they had the choppy water to contend with going against the swell. She soon though managed to get a footing wedged in between the thwarts to steady herself and began hauling the tight line in. "Bejeezus! I think we're going to feed a battalion on this thing." She caught a glimpse of silver darting beneath the waves as the unknown fish tried to go for broke under the boat. Elle tugged and pulled harder, she was using a long shank J hook and with hope it was well snagged in the fishes jaw.

"Not long." She said unsteadily as rain now began to lash at her face: she ignored it and hauled even harder, to a point the palms of her hands started to bleed. "You are not going to be the one that go away!" She yelled at it and one more tug brought the thing over the side to end up flopping furiously in the bottom of the boat. Elle quickly pulled her belt knife and gave it the coup de grace behind the gills on the top of its head. "Oh my god Mike, look at that thing, it must be at least 15 kilos." She said proudly, not even knowing what kind of fish it was, but it did resemble a bluefin tuna in a lot of ways and maybe this was the Wolds version of it. "We'd better get to the station fast now, I do not like the look of this storm right now." It was getting worse by the second, that meant they'd be swimming if they didn't hurry.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

Mike felt like he missed a heartbeat in fear of having Elle fall over board when he saw her tripping between the seats before she, a split second later, moved on like nothing ever happened.
When the fish landed next to his feet, he couldn’t help but to grin widely at Elle’s content face. “I could almost mistake you for Santiago there for a moment, although your legs was a dead give away - Yours are a tad bit nicer than Spencer Tracy’s.”
Quickly ducking down behind the wheel of the boat to be out of harms way of anything coming flying his way, he at the same time turned the boat up towards the wind and waves and pushed the throttle in to its maximum, asking the engine to give them all it had to take them closer towards land.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:56 AM »

"Who?" Elle said in a rather flat voice, she only then as her backside found the rear thwart Mike was sitting on...her hands were bleeding and not because she saw it, because they were stinging and she didn't know why until she turned them over on her lap. "That damned fish better taste good Mike." Those words came out unusually grumpy for her, she'd never been the one to agonise over anything, let alone a few cuts to her hands. But this little excursion of theirs seemed to be lurching from one disaster to another and that alone would make anyone grumpy. The offending fish was now laying in some two inches of water in the bottom of the boat.

As the boat rounded Winters Point, the last little spit of land that had blocked their view, the Cavaleiros Coast Guard Station came into sight. It was modeled on the British set ups, a large blocky building built on a bluff, with two boat ramps leading down into the water. Only one boat was there, which meant the other must be out on a call, you couldn't miss those big orange and black life boats, even in the worst of weather. Elle had wrapped her hands in one of her spare tee shirts, having torn it in half; Mike could look after it later once they were warm and dry. "I know Spencer Tracy...oh and thank you by the way." Any compliment in this storm was welcoming. "So was this Santiago one of his movies or something?" Random chit chat helped to ease the pain, it helped her focus on something else for the moment.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »

As soon as they came inland of the bulwark, Mike let out a not so subtle sigh of relief as the waves stopped beating furiously on the boat and they were only drenched from above by the pouring rain.
He raised a brow as he looked at Elle, “Oh come on – even an Aussie must have heard of Hemmingway’s ‘Old man and the sea’? Santiago is the fisherman in the book. You know - the main character after the Marlin that got eaten by the sharks?”

Mike made a motion with his chin towards Elle’s wrapped hands, “How bad is it?” The run of the rope trough her hands and the red spots hadn’t gone unnoticed and now when they didn’t face capsizing in the sea anymore, Mike had to know how she was doing, “Do you think you can manage to hold the boat steady while I tie her up by the ramp?”

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

lethal-pageant