Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]

Author Topic: Level 27 - Briefing Room  (Read 30937 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 297
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: Level 27 - Briefing Room
« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »

Silence, that was how Bernadette played the game, long drawn out moments of silence watching the other players, listening, looking for flaws and holes to poke a stick in. Up to this point it was for her essentially getting the chess pieces into position with the usual warm up to some eventual confrontation until she had her chance. "France and indeed the EU will veto any moves that might cause undue conflict in the Central and South Americas. Not only for economic reasons which are obvious, we have to consider the consequences with several of those states on how do you say in English? A shaky ground politically? It would be like dominoes, one to fall to this Ba'al, then the next and the next if he can show them a small country like Venezuela can stand up to the bigger powers. They will not care who he is and we should consider the hysterical laughter thrown at us if we dare tell them he is an alien. Can you imagine that?" So far that was the immediate, but there was more from her.

"On another note, Admiral, Generals, I would like to hear your version of events in Monaco recently. I have reports from both theirs and my own Gendarme, so before I feel uncomfortably irritated can you please explain it and how this connects with Ba'al?" Of course she knew Sabrina and her vast business, but why she was targeted was a mystery to her.

"Morocco." Hank said blandly. "We may get some support from Turkey, but they haven't proven too reliable of late. Then ladies and gentlemen, look at the map south of Mexico, none of us no matter how you look at it, or how we trade, can in reality say we have a friend south of the border. They are either far to the left or right and no in between and Ambassador Leung even your own Government has conceded that some of those states like Bolivia for example are pushing the leftist cause too far. As Ambassador Petit has explained, it'd be a damned big game of dominoes." His bushy eyebrows lifted up to the Frenchwoman. "I'll let General O'Neill explain the importance of Miss Matthews, suffice to say that operation was undertaken by two senior agents from two different agencies on a urgent basis. I've not seen the entire report so far but as I understand it time was of the utmost importance; but we will get to the bottom of it I promise you that."

"Will you General Landry? Or will I see a version that has been put through the washing machine?"

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #661 on: May 14, 2019, 05:40:29 PM »

Colonel George Sanderson
British Military Contingent CO
Ministry of Defence representative

George looked to Ambassador Leung. It was a fair point. He wasn't going to deny it.
"However ma'am. In this case the UK can get over their... disagreement with Argentina if it stops them falling in to Ba'al's hands. In short. We can play nice if they can to... seeing as the fate of the world could be involved." He listened as the conversation continued he was detached from the Monaco event so weighed on on Jordan.
"It would be useful to have somebody in the middleast, just as a break water for if Ba'al dose threw a glance their way. And Jordan really is the only viable option."

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 97
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2019, 09:53:57 PM »

While it was true Phil had been witness to beaming on two previous occasions he didn't think for a single minute he'd ever get used to it. To him that initial bright light was like a flash bang going off without the loud deafening crack; it was still disorientating if it caught you off guard. With his eyes closed for perhaps ninety seconds or so he could still see that flash behind his eyelids until he opened them again. "Nice entry Hank." A laconic quip.

The discussion led by the Admiral hit all the right points, the issues raised by the others made sense, although he wasn't quite sure what to make of Bernadette's mentioning of Monaco, or did he miss something in his brief notes. He most likely did. "Jordan isn't exactly a big player militarily speaking over there folks, you want to either have more on your side or something bigger or two for one. Still they are a good choice and yes I will go along with Brazil as well despite Ambassador Leung's reservations they're no more corrupt than some of our existing partners of the alliance."  There was no way he'd start pointing fingers at this stage. "Using Morocco has its advantages, with Jordan, the two of them can provide a foil for any in the Middle East who might get the wrong idea."

Reaching for another water he wetted his throat. "Bring the three in on it , they all have proven reliance to the UN in giving support when ever needed and they are the kind of partners we can deal with."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:04:11 PM by Ellen_Ripley »

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Impiousimp A new starter.
« Reply #663 on: May 15, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »

[Bruce Macdonnal]

"I'm inclined to agree with Ms Bernedette in that any action taken in the America's would be dubious at best and given the past ten years of military action in the middle east by the US, the public would not see it as a favorable course of action, not to speak for your country of course.  I only mean in respect to the current climate.  You'd need a hell of a justification.  My country is not presently convinced this situation can't be dealt with off world.  I'd like to hear what's being done to curtail Ba'al's presence in the rest of the galaxy."  He rested his eyes on Colonel O'Neill, then Teal'c.  He saw what the others wer saying, and was sure there was a measure tactical logistics there.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2019, 12:09:06 AM »

*Admiral's Radio*

"I'm sorry to interrupt Admiral, we just received an urgent sub space message from Anise. I'll read it back to you.

From Anise.

One of our spies has failed to return from a mission we had been engaged in to support your campaign against Ba'al. He is now three days over due and we hold grave fears for his safety. The site in question is P9U-10R, we suspect activity is occurring there either directly by Ba'al himself or someone else providing support for him. Can you help?"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 98
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #665 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:39 PM »

{Teal'c - NPC}

{Leung Cha Quo - NPC}

{Alexei Douka - NPC}

"We must first obtain information of what Ba'al is doing off of Earth. While the Jaffa are reluctant to do so, we have agreed to render aid to a known enemy and the former captor of Ba'al, Alienna. It is our understanding that she is attempting, with minimal success, to rally the other Goa'uld System Lords to her cause. They are either aligned with Ba'al, or would prefer to wage their own war on him for their own ends. The recent skirmishes with the remnants of the Borg fleet has caught all of our fleets off guard." Teal'c replied, directly facing the Canadian ambassador.

Ian quickly grabbed the phone.

"Please take all further concerns up with Colonel Aguayo for now, Walter. This meeting cannot be interrupted any further. Thank you." He said before hanging up.

"Ambassador Thompson, I'm going to have to beg to differ about Jordan's significance - they may not have the same size as the Iranians or Saudis, but they've got top notch training and they know their hardware, too. Not only do they import from just about everyone who exports at this table, they also do their own upgrades from time to time." Ian said, "Plus, they're the only ones who won't start World War Three when they find out our only Arab member is Egypt and we let the Israelis in a decade before them."

"I must also point out that the reason I brought up Brazil is because they are the only nation who can stand up to Venezuela. Ideology is hardly relevant here, not if we must all show a unified front." Leung added. "As for Morocco, we should weigh that properly, because I'd like to see what they have to offer."

"And what I would like is for the explanation about Monaco." Alexei said.

"Yes, I suppose we are getting off topic. Director Landry, I would like to move that we begin the evaluation process for Brazil, Morocco, and Jordan, with the results of that evaluation to be discussed at a later date. If we feel they can be positive contributing members, then we can proceed." Leung replied, "Now, General O'Neill, Monaco?"

"...Hank, I never said any of those things. In fact, my exact words were "as important as that was to rescue Athena, Barrett, Bristow, and Koralova went over Ian's head and mine and I'm ticked off at them". So..." Jack started before Ian stopped him.

"They were mine, but I did agree with General O'Neill. The fact of the matter is that they did break protocol and ignored the chain of command entirely. I'm well aware of the NID's mandate and what we permit our respective intelligence agencies to do, but all three overstepped their bounds. I've since ordered them to be placed under house arrest here and I'm launching an investigation. The only officer with them other than General O'Neill was Rear Admiral Anne McGreggor, who I don't believe issued any orders. She doesn't have a history of acting outside of the medical field without good reason." Ian explained.

"I find it hard to believe that you did not order such a reckless operation." Alexei scoffed. "Did you not appropriate American Special Operations assets for the botched Colombia operation?"

"I did not issue any such order, sir. And I acted within my bounds in Colombia." Ian replied.

"The fact is that Barrett knew better and he let Bristow call the shots, who I should point out, she has no authority to make that call. And I wasn't going to let Koralova or Adrestia out of this base without knowing who she was siding with. For all we know, she's actually working for Boche Ba'al, and they took her at face value." Jack added.

"I have a fair bit of experience with the CIA, some of their Special Activities Division spooks tend to act with more power than they have and no one calls them on it without having enough brass behind it in case Langley did approve it. In this case, they did not, I was on the phone with the Clandestine Services Director last night over it." Ian said.

"I think we all know what happened the last time we let the NID have free reign. While the end result was a beneficial one, we cannot hope to act properly if we set the precedent that the ends justify the means. I move that we remove Agents Barrett and Bristow from this case, as well as revoking Agent Bristow's liaison status with Stargate Command for a time." Leung suggested.

"And I am issuing a formal demand for Larissa Koralova's return to Russian custody, as well as a formal protest that a Russian intelligence agent is being detained by an American authority." Alexei added. "Admiral McRaven and General O'Neill have resisted all requests to do so. Since the Australians have set the precedent of issuing dangerous demands to get their way, we will follow suit. The Russian Federation will withdraw all further support until she is turned over to us for investigation and disciplinary action. This includes the Stargate, which is still Russian property."

"Oh come on! Not this old schtick..." Jack groaned.

"...we will also be forced to bring this matter before the United Nations in a General Assembly meeting, in order to request a binding Resolution." Alexei continued over Jack's protests.

That got a moment of silence. Alexei had a hell of a poker face, given the gauntlet he'd just thrown down - he'd just made the same threat that got the Australians a seat at the table. The General Assembly of the United Nations was NOT cleared into the Program, because it was literally every country on Earth, and if the Russians took this to that particular forum of debate, they'd be outing the Program in the process and also be outing that Venezuela's new President was actually the host to an alien lifeform.

Jack glared at him, about to jump over the table and punch the Russian in the face.

Ian silently leaned forward, his expression hardening.

Teal'c observed silently as well, but raised an eyebrow at this demand.

Leung's eyes were a bit wider for a moment before she looked around the table.

"...I am afraid Ambassador Douka is not entirely wrong with his request. However, the People's Republic does not, under any circumstance, condone the use of threatening to expose this Program to the public to gain headway around here. I wish it noted that we condemn this action by all of this organization who have done so. Political discussions and favors are one thing - that action would bring us all to ruin just as sure as if nuclear weapons use was being threatened." Leung said after regaining her composure, "Now. As for this impasse...it is clear to me that we cannot ignore the violations committed by Larissa Koralova or Adrestia, but we cannot ignore that as she was abducted by Ba'al's operatives from within the Russian embassy."

Once again, she looked to Sanderson. "I propose that she be kept here, as Stargate Command is still neutral ground, or as neutral as it can be, with the investigation executed by British and Chinese personnel. American and Russian observers will be present at all times and allowed access to all material relevant to this case, and that this body will reconvene to render a judgement based on the findings. Should she be found guilty of collusion, then the United States will be bound to return her, post haste, to Russia. If she is found innocent, Russia must honor the verdict and dismiss the charges. I also suggest that Colonel Sanderson act as the main IOA representative for this investigation."

"What?!" Jack and Alexei practically exclaimed at once, but for different reasons.

Ian almost chuckled. The Chinese were the ones offering an olive branch, a change of pace from the preceding Ambassador's approach, the woman who had been awful keen to politely threaten to pull the plug on the Program or ruin someone's career until it inconvenienced her. Either Beijing had a new line they were trying or the Deputy Ambassador here was planning to have the Deputy part dropped from her title.

"I will offer a further compromise - it is not the buisness of this Command to be brought into matters of Russian national security where they do not involve the current state of affairs. If the investigative session broaches subjects that do not involve Ba'al or the Trust but are of secret importance to the Russian government, I move that no Americans be present during said session." Ian said, "Cold War's over, folks. I moved on from that, my enemies have been extremist terrorists for the past 20 years. Now I'm fighting hostile aliens. Moscow hasn't been my enemy since the fall of the Soviet Union."

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!Bowsy 112 is awe-inspiring!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #666 on: May 21, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »

Colonel George Sanderson
British Military Contingent CO
Ministry of Defence representative

George had been looking down at his paper work and scribbling notes in the margins when his name was mentioned a few seconds after O'Niell and the Russian ambassador had made their exclamations his followed.
"What?" He had been about to suggest that a Chinese unit be brought in to hold the goa'uld prisoner. Seeing as this new ambassador seamed to be a bigger supporter of the SGC's current command than previous ones and he felt that British forces would be rejected by the Russians seeing as they were long term friends with the Americans during the cold war, though Admiral McRaven had a point, the cold war was over now. He looked back to the Chinese ambassador.
"Ma'am, as much as I appreciate it that you seam to thing I can handle the responsibility, but I am not a member of the IOA. I'm the British Military's representative here." he looked to the Russian.
"I fill the role for the British that Colonel Chekhov used to for the Russians." He wasn't trying to name drop the man, he just wanted his position to be clear.
"But I will take the role if I have to, Just know. Its not my typical wheel house."

He tapped his pen on the desk before looking to Douka.
"On the subject of you wanting to take back your agent, though fair, its not really wise is it sir?" He began.
"I'm not an expert on the subject, but, she got that snake in her head from somewhere in your country, likely meaning, somebody else has a snake in there's too." He gave a shrug before continuing.
"Which means somebody may be waiting to prevent her giving out any information to you. The same could be said about anywhere else on the planet. Not that you would be happy with her being held by another country. But I am just saying, for now she is likely in the safest place she can be, if you want a neutral player, for lack of a better term can be assigned to detain her." He looked to the Chinese Ambassador.
"I know you have an SG team here, if it comes to it, SG twenty five can guard her."He was aware they were off world but no need to add that just yet. "She'd be the IOA's prisoner. And when your ready I am sure she can be under Russian Custody as long as its here." There was the possibility of him confirming that any goa'uld presence in his country being dealt with but that seamed like to much of a if and or but situation.

"Besides its not like we can take her off world for neutral ground with out the fear of Ba'al bringing a space ship to deal with her, at lease he's not likely to use one as a gun to our heads here for fear of ruining his own plan. And short of that, the SGC is as neutral as ground gets here." He shrugged once more, he was currently in a state of shock that he had said so much and he was wondering how much of it had been dumb, he was just happy that he hadn't mentioned how much of a paper tiger the threat of taking the gate back was, there were plenty or worlds with Stargates that didn't need them, and they had Space Ships to collect them, and with out the DHD the Russian gate would no longer take priority. But there were other issues at play and he didn't need to rial up the Russian Ambassador anymore than he may have already.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 97
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »

The old man was shaking his head with a wry smile across his wrinkled line face. There was so much at stake and these people saw fit to make an ugly show of it for no other reason than to basically throw a tantrum. One of them at least. "Ambassador Douka I don't know where you got your information on our commitment, my country offered her services of our free will as soon as we were briefed about the Pegasus Project in 2004. We made no such demands, in fact when a facility was required for New Ship research our Woomera base was given over to the Stargate Program without hesitation. We're here for one thing as I hope all of you are, the safety and preservation of Earth. I'd suggest you drop the politicking and focus on the threat which is Ba'al." There wasn't much more he could say, that sentiment took in everything including the situation with this Adrestia. Right now in his mind that took second seat to everything else.

There was something else he needed to know, so he turned to Teal'c. "I know militarily Tela'c the Tok'ra are a spent force, but are they helping us out in any effective way? Can we utilise their spying capacity more than we might do in the normal course of our relations with them?" Ah yes, Jordan. "Let's just say Admiral I'm going off past experiences from quite a while ago. I was the senior secretary to the Defence Minister during Gulf War One, when we needed vital support initially Jordan took her own sweet time in coming to the table. I suppose you could and rightly so, say that times change. Old blokes like me tend to hold things for much longer than we should, so I'll take your recommendations in good staid. As for Morocco, a quiet achiever. She has leveled up far beyond her fighting weight in recent times and as all of you are aware with the support of her people, Morocco has been giving us one of the few Arab world commitments against terrorism, while experiencing some events in that direction of her own." Brazil. For him he couldn't really add, he'd never studied South American politics in great depth. "If it means anything, Brazil are generally reliable as a nation, they did help you Brits out during the Falklands." He tilted his head to George then across to Jack and Ian again. "Briefly, what was happening in Monaco that two special agents and a what? A Goa'uld? Had to buzz off there in such a hurry, are we talking about Sabrina Matthews here, that's the only connection I can make off it?"

Another long sip of water went down before his last words. "Settle it whichever way works, we have a megalomaniac of an alien on our turf wanting to take the lot. I don't think these other issues should be even worth wasting our time on, that's just my five cents worth. Oh and Douka, may I remind you at the last UN Council meeting your people agreed to the conditions and signed onto a long term commitment, you renig on us now and you lose the lot. You've already willingly given the control of the Stargate to Stargate Command in exchange for the Hermes, so I'd quit while you're ahead." Just for very brief second his old eyes fell on the Canadian MacDonnal, he had always proven a good back up.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #668 on: May 23, 2019, 02:27:06 AM »

Never before, not even in the UN Security council had a meeting diverged off to so many arguable topics all at once, Bernadette was beginning to feel one of those epic womanly headaches coming on, she rubbed her temples for a moment of relief. Calmly then as she tilted her head up she spoke. "I second the move to include those three nations. France and Spain are already helping to re-equip Morocco's entire defense forces and the project that started in 2008 will be finished within a week from now. We have also in partnership with the US, Italy and the United Kingdom assisted in Jordan's military needs over the same period. Both will be good partners in our alliance. Brazil, I do believe a good choice for when you look at the fundamentals of South American politics, we do not have many stable choices." Then finally someone said the magic word or name to be exact. "Mademoiselle Matthews yes. Now I see. So let me understand this, these two Agents went to Monaco to do what and something happened and all this is in connection with Stargate Command? I don't fully understand?"

All the while Hank was either nodding in agreement or shaking his head negatively wherever the discussion went, until..."Hold your horses folks, we are getting way out of our first priority. I'll start with Monaco. Jack, Bristow has in her capacity as the CIA's liaison to do whatever she deems necessary to protect this facility here on Earth and the integrity of the Stargate Program. I have to take full responsibility for this and if you all good people want to hang someone, that'd be me. She answers to me and the Langley director, so if she went over Agent Barrett, then she had good reason to. Now for the reason which I need to impress on everyone of you. Sabrina Matthews and her companies supply over 80% of the hardware...excuse me a moment." A text came through on his phone with a report from his office. NID agents had since been to La Forge in Monaco, the reports indicate a fire fight that was in the word of his secretary quite insane. "..sorry folks. Now where was I? Ah yes, I think the only way you're going to get the truth is to bring Barrett, Bristow and Koralova in here. We don't have the time for a drawn out inquiry or a witch hunt."

"I would be amenable to that General. Time is sadly not a commodity we have in abundance." Bernadette's face showed only worry by now. France as much as the US and Australia had been doing everything they could to protect the woman and her assets. She now felt somehow guilty.

By that time Hank only wanted to get things back on track. "As Teal'c pointed out, we need to find Ba'al's hang outs, not only here but off world and all the arguing in the world we do here is only putting us backwards."

"Ambassador Leung, I agree with you and madam Petit, we should get those countries in as soon as practical and I should also remind all of you here that we now only have 5 months left before our agreement with the UN Security council runs out. I know this is an aside to our problems but we need to put it on the table and figure out how we go about telling the world about the Stargate Program. Somehow that itch on the back of my neck tells me Ba'al knows about that meeting. By the way Ambassador Douka, I also put my stamp of approval on the Colombia mission as did the President and President Cordez. For what it was and the intelligence we were given, the mission was deemed successful." 

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45]