Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Southern Regions  (Read 4440 times)

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!
Re: PG8-K59 Alpha Site- Southern Regions
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »

As soon as the dropship touched down on the side of the mountain, William was out of his seat and heading towards the duffel bag with his cold weather gear. For sake of time & modesty he was already wearing compression leggings under his flight suit.
The base layer was topped off with an insulated shirt much like the leggings and a pair of smart wool socks. The mid layer was a fleece track suit and a cold weather balaclava. The final layer was a pair of snow pants and an insulated parka. While the red color wasn't what you would expect from military gear, in this operation he was more concerned about viability than staying hidden.

Lacing up his boots, William addressed the rescue operation.
"My recommendation is to get them inside the craft as quickly as possible. Once inside, we should get them into some warm, dry clothing. I snagged several pairs of long johns for that very purpose. If they are conscious, we should start pushing fluids. The galley provided several thermoses of peppermint tea. If they aren't conscious, then I shall start IVs and run them through a warmer. Considering we're only a few minutes away from the Dreadnought, we just need to get our people stabilized. The medical staff on the ship will take over from there."

Grabbing a small med kit and 2 portable stretchers, the medic put up the hood of his jacket before donning the googles and gloves.
"Ready when you are."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:53:02 AM by Troy »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 250
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2015, 11:27:04 PM »

Foregoing any real sense of modesty (not there was all that much to see anyway) Cate stripped off her flight suit to reveal a very lovely set of pale blue thermal underwear, top and bottom; by unzipping the legs of the suit she was able to remove it without taking off her boots, which in turn made her look rather ridiculous for a moment. She then went to her tote bag, pulling out two ski pullovers, a pair of lightweight ski pants and finally over the top of that she slipped on an air force issue white arctic suit complete with faux fir lined hood and very thick gloves. "Time is of the essence here so we need to be a quick as we can. Every minute we have them exposed takes the dangers for them up a notch. Lieutenant, I'll follow your lead on this one Cass.." Cate pulled an M4a2 off the rack, handing over to her, she retrieved another for herself. "You never know." She said simply then hit the big red button to open the door. Snow almost filled the rear compartment instantly. "Move out!"
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Nerdlover

• Senior Airman
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Nerdlover A new starter.
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2015, 11:10:44 PM »

Cass took the gun, she had had all the training needed to handle the weapon but she was still far from comfortable toting it around. She strapped it on over her winter gear and let it hang. She wanted to pretend it was just a purse, but she knew that she needed to be aware of the weapon at all times and be ready to use it. She tried to put her mind into a state of readiness as she has been trained to do.

Cass braced herself for the cold as the door opened and she was not disappointed! The freezing cold air entered the rear door and she immediately choked as it froze in her throat despite having her face covered. She exhaled and took more shallow breaths, hoping nobody noticed. She set foot out into the cold and got her footing and turned to take in her surroundings and her team.

"Ohana Means family. Family means nobody gets left behind, or forgotten."
--Stitch

Also the Stargate philosophy...

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2015, 12:46:27 AM »

Stepping off the back ramps of the landing-craft, William squinted from the sun reflecting off the snow. The goggles were tinted, but it still took him a minute to adjust to the conditions. Pulling out a compass, the medic soon got his bearings.

"Nice landing Squadron leader, our people should be a few meters to our left. Just over that ridge. As we each are carrying a stretcher, the plan is fairly simple. Once we reach them, we will each load one person into our stretcher. The stretchers are fairly easy to use, but let me know if you have any trouble with them. Once loaded up, cover the person in a regular blanket sandwiched between 2 space blankets. That way the blanket doesn't soak up any moisture and we can prevent any additional snow from getting on them. Not that I expect any more snow, but better safe than sorry. After that, get your person back to the ship and in some warm and dry clothing. If they are awake, have them start sipping some tea. Any questions, feel free to ask."

Normally he would do a quick assessment on the person before moving them but William knew there would be little use to try and work on someone outside in sub-zero temps.

Raising his rifle, William set out with the 2 ladies following close behind in a small version of the wedge formation. Having placed a thermal scope on the rifle, it allowed him to better locate the missing people while not impairing any defense actions he may have to take.

It took the team a few minutes to reach the ridge, but once they crested the top a small rock outcropping could be seen.
"Keep your eyes pealed, our people should be here somewhere."

Reaching into a front pocket, William pulled out an electronic whistle, he pressed the button 3 times in the universal signal for distress. If anyone was somewhat awake, hopefully the whistle would let them know help had arrived.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 250
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2015, 03:26:06 AM »

Being the last out, Cate took with her the ships remote; it wasn't practical for her to close the ramp, so as that had been foreseen by the makers, the ships shields could be activated simply to keep weather out, a touch of a button on their return and they would walk straight back in. Better than waiting the 90 seconds it took to lower the ramp again. "Thanks elTee, I think I'm getting the hang of it." That was typical Aussie sarcasm with a grin.

She listened to William intently, this was his turf and there was no way she was going to screw her part up. Now standing next to Cass with her own little stretcher dragging behind, fur surrounding her face, she nudged her friend. "He's shaping up okay for a guy isn't he?" Then she trudged on, the glare of the white snow could blind you if not for their goggles.

Soon after, Cate came to an outcrop of rock, within there seemed to be a pile of bags and other things heaped up on something, which looked for all the world like a Salvation army clothing dump. "I've got two!" She called out loudly as she realised there were bodies under that mess.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »

Voices?  Were they really voices?  No, couldn't be.  It was subszero.  No one would be out in this.  But the voices just continued to nag her. "Help!" she tried to croak out, but the cold had gotten to her.  She could barely feel her limbs anymore and she wasn't sure if she could even move.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2015, 12:00:49 AM »

There were two people next to the outcropping, which still left one person unaccounted for. While the ladies started working on who had been found, William surveyed the terrain looking for the 3rd member. Thankfully it didn't take long, as a person laying in the snow stood out against the rest of the scenery.

"I've got the third!"

As he arrived where Kimberly was laying in the snow, William knelt down beside her.
"I'm Lt Troy, US Air Force search and rescue. If you can hear me, I'm going to get you onto a stretcher and back to the dropship for transport to the Dreadnought. You'll be warm and dry in no time."

Unrolling the stretcher, he grabbed the back of the Sergeant's shirt and drug her onto it. Before securing the buckles, he wrapped Kimberly in blankets.
"Hang on, I'm going to have to pull you back to the ship."

Nerdlover

• Senior Airman
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2015, 10:39:54 AM »

Cass listened intently to Troy, he was an intense soldier, more "soldier like" then she expected, but he definitely brought something needed to the team. His instructions were simple but instantly became complicated by the conditions that were already beginning to wear on her. She was thrilled to hear Cate say she found 2 of the missing. She followed Cate over to the pile of gear. Cass could barely tell there were even people in there. Cate began loading one of the women onto her stretcher and Cass did the same. She wasn't sure if the woman she was handling was conscious, or even alive but she felt like she should say something since she was moving someone else's body. " Cassandra Thomas from the US Air Force, I'm going to move you onto this stretcher and drag you back to somewhere warm, how's that sound?" Cass didn't wait for a response but was quickly moving. At this point she was relieved to hear Troy's shouts of confirmation of discovery of the last missing member of the team. Cass was stronger than she looked thanks to the intense workouts she had been doing to prepare for going off world. She loaded the mostly limp and rather heavy body onto the stretcher and wrapped her in the layered blankets as the lieutenant had instructed. After securing her into place she rearranged her weapon in order to get a better grip on the stretcher. She was ready to and get back into the warmth of the ship herself. She looked over at Cate for confirmation of departure. "Ready when you are Commander."

--Stitch

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »

{Sqdn Leader Catherine Hughes} NPC
{Flt Lieutenant Bobbie Hatfield} NPC

Getting the girls onto the stretchers was easier than Cate thought it would be, they had found at least the two in the cavern were partially conscious to some degree. Cass had drawn the lucky straw to, in having picked up the smallest of them in Bobbie, Cate had the older woman Adriana, the Dreadnought's CAG. She was puzzled to say the least as to how this one in particular was out here with the other two, guessing that they must have met up last night in town.

"Robyn- Bobbie Hatfield." She corrected herself, not even her family called her by her given name. Her eyes of course were only half open, snow blinded for the better part but she'd get over that soon enough. Even talking was an extreme effort for her, she felt as if her entire body was simply one large frozen mass. "How, how are the others?" She asked, the voice a mere rasp.

Cate was by the other woman's side, kneeling for the moment her hand on the side of the neck. She was alive at least but only just, not something that Cate wanted to give any indication to at the present. "Adriana will be fine." Quite possibly a lie, but it was the best she could do. "I'm good Cass. Troy how you doing?" Cate fiddled with the radio, which proved difficult with her thick gloves on. While she waited for a reply, she wrapped Adriana up as warmly as possible with the blankets and a few extra pieces she found in their baggage.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »

William had just finished loading his patient and was prepping to return to the dropship when his team mate radioed for an update.

"I'm good here. Let's get these ladies out of the elements.

Attaching the tow straps for the stretcher, William carefully set off towards the waiting craft.

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »

Kim continued to shiver as her teeth chattered.  She had been out in the snow too long and her body felt numb. "Kim...Paine," she managed to get out between chattering teeth.  She barely nodded as Troy pulled her onto the stretcher.  She wouldn't have been able to help even if he had needed it.  The young woman was barely staying away and snow coated her eye lashes and her lips were turning a light blue.  "Bobbie?" she managed to ask about her friend.  'And...Adriana?"  She had been trying to get fire wood to warm them up, but had never made it back to them.  Were her friends still alive?

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »

{Sqdn Leader Catherine Hughes} NPC

"On my way Troy." She replied and once again Cate bent to feel at Adriana's neck, her concern was the woman's colour which was going from blue to ashen grey. She needn't have bothered though, there wasn't anything for her to detect, no a murmur, no pulse whatsoever, nothing at all. Pulling the blanket completely over the face, a long sigh escaped from Catherine's mouth, this wasn't going to be happy news for any of them, especially Elle. She could just faintly hear the voice of the third woman Kim over Troy's radio, for a moment she didn't know how to respond then she had an idea. "Lieutenant I heard the Sergeant. Tell her that Hatfield is okay, Croumer though, just lie for the moment. I'm going to ask Captain Forster if we can borrow the ships stasis chamber as this poor woman is essentially a popsicle now, so it is quite possible we might be able to play the hand of god." It was a long stretch of course, though Cate had seen some fairly radical things since she'd been with the Program.

Outside it began snowing again, a light powdery snow which wasn't a huge problem for the moment, just an inconvenience. "Cass you should follow in my trail, it'll be easier for you that way." As she spoke, Catherine began hauling the lifeless body of Adriana back to the 401, not one of her most pleasant duties she'd performed in her career.

Nerdlover

• Senior Airman
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

Cass was grateful for the trail, she was already getting cold and tired. The stretchers were very light and easy to use, even dragging a person. She was worried about the women, but she tried hard to focus on the task at hand. She followed Cate to ship and they climbed into the warmth of the ship. They began to unload the women. The woman Cate had recovered was in bad shape, really bad shape. The woman Cass had dragged in was in better shape but not by much.

--Stitch

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2015, 12:19:17 AM »

William didn't like lying to patients, but at the same time wasn't about to tell the woman her teammate was likely dead. Keeping his response vague, he keyed the radio.
"Roger that, I'll let you make the request once we get back to the dropship."

Now was the task of reassuring his patient that her comrades would survive.
"Ma'am, let us worry about the others. We have rescued all three, and will soon have you all on-board the Dreadnought with state of the art medical care."

Even without Stargate level medical tech, people somehow managed to survive longer in the cold than in the heat which lead to the interest in cryogenics. Hopefully the same would hold true in this case.

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2015, 09:07:01 AM »

Kim coughed a bit as she snuggled down deeper into the blankets Troy had wrapped around her.  She really wanted to ask more about her friends, but what little strength she had left was draining fast.  'okay," was all she managed to say as she fought to stay awake.  She didn't want to lose consciousness again.  Help might be there, but one never knew what else could happen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6