Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Polar Day Question  (Read 1427 times)

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
Re: Polar Day Question
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:45 PM »

Hmm, that's a thought!!!  :yes:

Otherwise I thought about using the rope an block of ice to take advantage of the Coriolis effect to set which way north, south and so on is...

But I guess Vad would do just as fine!

Then on second thought, maybe just follow the sun.
Since you're that far north, the sun isn't very high on the sky, even at mid day.
You'll walk in a spiral pattern, from your starting point and out towards the coast.
It'll be a h€ll of a walk, but you'll get there... eventually to see if there are penguins or polar bears making snow angels in the snow :P

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!
  • Forum Bouncer, so behave.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »

Dear Syn, if I will head south while I was in the middle of Antarctide instead of hitting the northern road, I'll end up in the worst place there is on the surface of this godforsaken rock. <P

Red, I would like to see to what you're going to tie that rope to.

NG, hmm, now that's an interesting idea... Hmm... I won't lie that Mechanics is my least favourite section of the Physics :lol So I've completely forgot about it.

Again, the question of walking - while in the north it more or less works, in the south it will suck a lot...

And I've just threw that question into the Russian Astronomical Union forums. Let's see how bad can I make the scientists wish to kill each other and me. <P
Terra Locuta. Causa Finita.

Bickering with an admin is like fighting a dragon. You gave him a good kick, poked his eye with your sword and already are aiming to cut his throat open, when the dragon gets tired and finally breathes out.

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.NG has an aura about them.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »

And I've just threw that question into the Russian Astronomical Union forums. Let's see how bad can I make the scientists wish to kill each other and me. <P

Man, you're BAD!!!  :lol

Since we've got a good pair of footwear and some nice food, I'm not afraid to walk ;)
Hey, might even hatch a few more Pokémons on the way!  :yes:

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
  • VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!VagabonD SerpenT has great potential!
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 01:52:51 PM »

I already got about six replies...

The easiset way seems to be that in beyond the northern polar circle Sol goes from left to right,  higher than souther - right to left...

Bickering with an admin is like fighting a dragon. You gave him a good kick, poked his eye with your sword and already are aiming to cut his throat open, when the dragon gets tired and finally breathes out.

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

I was sent that. Clearly, I'm not a turd stinky enough to cause any concern in the RAU... :lol

Mel, be a dear, go outside, stare at the sun for 10 mins and tell me where did it go, CW or CCW.  <P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:14:49 PM by VagabonD SerpenT »

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 03:25:14 PM »

Awww i think youre stinky enough dear, and are you trying to blind poor Mel?  Just google it <P

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 244
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 11:11:36 PM »

Message from the snow bunny. I wear extremely dark snow goggles.  :look

Quite simple really. You're at the top of the world, the sun rises and sets on a low apex, you will still have a shadow. So either your shadow will cast to the south west in the morning, or to the south east after midday. There, you know where you are.  :sam10
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

VagabonD SerpenT

• Administrator
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 06:08:20 AM »

Nah-ah. The bloody shadow migrates. It points south-west on the rising only from spring equinox to autumn equinox. From autumn to spring the shadow would be cast north west in the morning. Exactly west it'd be cast only during the equinox itself. Not reliable method if I do not know the exact calendar day.

And if I wanted to blind her, I'd have chosen other method, besides short (under 1 minute) stares at Sol are good for the eyes. :D

And the Russian Astronomical Union forums gave me THAT big load of the ways, in between them people starting to bicker with each other, that I now won't be lost ever :lol

Pages: 1 [2]