Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: star trek discover *SPOILER ALERT*  (Read 2634 times)

elflord

• Airman First Class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • elflord A new starter.
star trek discover *SPOILER ALERT*
« on: July 03, 2017, 03:23:10 PM »

from the looks of the trail for one I don't like the ship an ugly duckling that will never be a swan a total no, having that ugly out side garbage truck look with the high tech inside look does also not work for me, but the show does have Michelle Yeoh in it so expecting some badass martial arts scenes against the Klingons. but from what I'm hearing about the show its going to bomb big time I just hope I'm wrong hopefully how many re-runs of Stargate Sg1 does a man have to watch before any new sci-fi show turns up that can at least match its worst episode ever made or can even stand toe to toe with it in the ratings I'm still waiting that's for sure.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:52:43 AM by NG »

Khnum

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
Re: star trek discover
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

Did not I understand what you're talking about? :huh

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 50
  • DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.DanielRyder has an aura about them.
  • I already lost one captain. I won't lose another
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »

He's talking about the trailer for Star Trek Discovery. I'll post it here the link for it or youtube.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The breakdown of the trailer is something I found on youtube. You can watch if you want, but if you dont want to know, you dont have to really. Could contain spoilers. Hence the spolier tag  :P

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I actually thought the trailer wasn't too bad. I mean, I agree with some points provided by elflord, but I'm keeping my options open. I might see the first pilot and see how it goes. Problem is though, its CBS access only, so im gonna have to buy the access  :look

If its good, I might watch it. If not, well, yeah, maybe not. Still, I'm still a Star Trek fan, so I wouldnt be a fan if I didn't see the pilot first hand  >(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:18:17 PM by DanielRyder »
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Syn

• Technical Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.
    • Debate Humanity - My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:02:13 PM »

I'm not pleased with the design choices they've made and the premise of the show itself is not interesting.

Plus, CBS is intentionally making it difficult for anyone outside of the US to even watch the show when it finally airs.

I'll still end up watching it because it's Star Trek but I have exceptionally low expectations.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »

I'm looking forward to it. The transporter room looks odd, but otherwise I think they did a good job with the design. Yeah, the Discovery isn't the most pleasing shape but I don't get too hung up on ship design. Each series has had a unique starship.

Most places outside the US get it on Nextflix, that doesn't seem too limiting.

Syn

• Technical Sergeant
  • Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.Syn might someday be a gardener.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:19:11 PM »

They'll get it on Netflix long after it's aired. There's no way to remotely involve yourself with discussion or the fandom unless you're in the US or watch it illegally.

And that's, well, not great.

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:33 PM »

That would be because we cant get. Is it CBS? the channel that will show it. At least in the UK, and Star Trek isnt popular enough at the moment for it to Air on Sky One like ENT did.

I m currently not a fan of the over all look of the show from the trailer. It was said somewhere its in the prime timeline but looks much more like the Kelvin timeline. But we will wait and see. I have my own opinions on the characters we know about. But will keep those to my self until I have atleast seen an episode.

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 12:52:33 AM »

Agreed - sucks that someone living outside the US wont have access to it until much later... :/

We're going to see if we can get hold of it on alternative ways, meaning CBS will lose viewers = less money in, because to me it has potential.

Just a thought - wasn't it stated in TOS that women *couldn't' be commanders of a ship? And this takes place ten years before TOS?

Khnum

• Major
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 04:44:23 AM »

In fact I lost something ... it does not look bad to me, but I have to see it well before judging :yes:

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!Bowsy 112 has great potential!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:33:15 AM »

Just a thought - wasn't it stated in TOS that women *couldn't' be commanders of a ship? And this takes place ten years before TOS?

If it did, its definitely odd that they had a female first officer in The Cage. Its a bit like going.
"You can get almost there but not ll the way." Though then again I have no idea if that was actually said. I dont know my TOS as well as say TNG or DS9.

All I really know is that. We have not seen the captain of the Discovery yet, as he (And it is a he.) Is played by Jacob Issacs (I think thats his name. British actor, Draco Malfoys dad in Harry Potter.) and the female captain we see is from a different ship, that the main character, the black woman, starts out on. So from what I can deduce as at least, we havnt seen an interior shot of the Discovery yet.

But yeah. I still think it looks more Kelvin timeline than Prime.

Also. Just because I can.
And this takes place ten years before TOS?

I know its meant to take place 10 or 15 (Something like that.) Before TOS, yet it all looks more advanced.

I mean you have ENT that looked more advanced but felt, well older to TOS somehow where as Discovery dosnt feel older.

But hey, we may get to see Pike's NCC-1701 with the spikes on the bussard collectors and everything.

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 08:49:08 AM »

From what I have seen, I really liked the intermediate style on the kelvin universe model ... in fact the result is remarkable :yes:

SymonDrayson

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Chief Master Sergeant
  • SymonDrayson hides in shadows.
  • Contra Ignorantiam
    • Musings of a Chaotic Mind
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »

Jason Issacs. :)

I am looking forward to seeing the premiere, but sadly not holding out much hope for this. When it first came out that a new Trek was in development I was "it's about time". But over time as I have heard things about the production I have become a little less enthusiastic. I used to be of the opinion that even bad Trek is better than no Trek. I think this might just prove that rule wrong.

A friend of mine of many years who writes for Trek and has done so since the first movie told me he is worried about the direction they want to take it and some of the ideas put forward during writing sessions. He said that the shows developers want to capitalize on the success of the Abrams movies by having that feel, both visually and script wise (all about action and conflict) but within the Prime universe. He said that they have tinkered with the Klingons (again) in an attempt to bridge the gap between what appeared in the Original series and the Klingons that appeared after. I personally don't know why we need to revisit it again, the explanation they put forth in Enterprise worked well enough. A couple of months ago I got to see a continuity script he was working on for a (hopefully) future episode. Keeping in mind that I didn't have any kind of idea what happened previous to it in order to add context and background for what was happening, I have to say that it was....meh...Not horrible, but not fantastic. Of course things could change and such, so who knows. All I know is I have never seen my friend so indifferent to a project. There were things in the later seasons of Voyager and in Enterprise that drove him absolutely crazy. And he refuses to recognize the Abrams universe as anything but pseudo-trek (I am with him there). But the fact that he is on the verge of being uninspired, kind of worries me.

As to female commanders/captains in the Original Series. It was never said (to either of our best recollection) that a female could not command a ship. Majel Barret (as pointed out earlier) was the First Officer/XO/Number One aboard the Enterprise in the episode "The Cage". The reason this role did not continue was due to the request of the studio for the removal of the character. It was a different time then and the blow back from the character was insane, almost as bad as it was after the kiss between Kirk and Uhura.

If you want to HYPER TECHNICAL on the issue, the origianl series did feature a female Captain, of the Enterprise no less. In the episode "Turnabout Intruder" (I think thats the name), Dr. Janice Lester switched bodies with Kirk and, yeah. :)

In that episode it is mentioned that "there was a lack of opportunity for women to command starships." and "there were so many obstacles to overcome." A kind of commentary on the times. A kind of "Nobody says that you can't do a thing. And the opportunity is there. But the old boy network is going to put enough obstacles in your way to make it almost impossible."

But anyway. I look forward to giving the new series a chance. But am wary.
Disfides et Veritas ~ Defiance and Truth

“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.Troy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »

Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.
(https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world)

The exact quote from Janice Lester was, "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."   That can be taken a couple of ways, including directed at Kirk himself. He was too busy with his "mistress", The Enterprise, to entertain the idea of a serious relationship with women.

Even if you take it more literally, I think most fans would be OK with that bit of retconning.

SymonDrayson

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Chief Master Sergeant
  • SymonDrayson hides in shadows.
  • Contra Ignorantiam
    • Musings of a Chaotic Mind
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »

Mostly looking forward to seeing how Jason Isaacs does in the role. I have liked pretty much everything he has done. His role in Brotherhood being my favorite. Looking forward to seeing  Sonequa Martin as well.
Disfides et Veritas ~ Defiance and Truth

“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Syn

• Technical Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »

Each episode of the new series will be available globally within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere.
(https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world)

I'll be interested in seeing if this is actually the case when the show gets out of production hell. I hope so but won't hold my breath. Especially since, if my memory serves me, that announcement would have taken place after everyone raised a fit about the CBS-only streaming plan they originally had. It wouldn't be a surprise if isn't quite as true as we hope.

But again, I do hope it's true. Being able to legally watch the show in a reasonable time frame is paramount to a sustainable show.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4