Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Star Gate Question?  (Read 1132 times)

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
Star Gate Question?
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:57 PM »

So, here is a question, I know ifs Sci Fi TV Physics. But its never really been brought up.

What happens if you go through the gate the wrong way?
Like its explained that a Stargate Wormhole only has one direction of travel. So what happens if somebody walks through the recieving end of an incomming wormhole?
Like somebody Dials in from Atlantis to Earth, what happens if a person on Earth walks through the earth gate? Do they die? Do they just walk through the puddle and end up on the other side of the gate but still in the SGC? can they just not walk through it?

The gate is seen to allow people to go through the wrong way as it were in the episode prisoners in Season 2 but thats the only time, and no solid evidence is given as to what happens and its never really mentioned again. I mean its clear that this shows that you can pass through it and that you would likely die, but its never mentioned 100% that this is the case. And even if it is, Star Gate continuity has been known to change and things have been conveniently forgotten. (Such as the Zat's third shot effects.)

And to expand on that. The gate has a front, and a back, so what if you try to walk through the back side of a wormhole?

I am mostly just curious as these were things never exactly covered in the Show. Like they say that you can only go through a gate one way. Which I sort of understand. Bust surley trying to walk through an incomming wormhole or through the wrong side of the gate wont kill you?

Khnum

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
Re: Star Gate Question?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

I believe that trying to go through the wrong side is practically a suicide :)

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:25 PM »

You will die a horrible death I believe. The science is fuzzy but I do understand it was mentioned either in the show itself, or on one of the documentaries that came with the DVD sets.

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 03:58:02 AM »

Not mentioned on the show. Kust a few comments about it being impossible. But no evidence for or against.

Khnum

• Major
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »

It may also be that the horizon of events rejects you :)

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!DanielRyder is leading the good life!
  • I already lost one captain. I won't lose another
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:49 PM »

Its probably like a mirror. You go in front like you normally do, but when you go through the back, you could end up in an reversed Universe where evevrything is backwards, cause you know, mirror...

or ohhh a Mirror Universe! Wait, thats Star Trek. Umm, same idea? Who knows...
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:31:06 PM »

Its probably like a mirror. You go in front like you normally do, but when you go through the back, you could end up in an reversed Universe where evevrything is backwards, cause you know, mirror...

or ohhh a Mirror Universe! Wait, thats Star Trek. Umm, same idea? Who knows...

I mean its possible, but I feel if it had been that interesting it would have been covered on the show.

I mean this is only an issue because I was thinking about it, if you were to show up at a gate thats been activated and was open. You have no communication devise you have no way of knowing what way round it opened.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!Troy is a rising star!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »

Are there symbols on both sides?

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:50:53 AM »

In my opinion, a mirror universe would be a hazard, bad tok'ra and good goa'uld? *o

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:11:49 AM »

Are there symbols on both sides?

I dont believe so.

Altzek

• Technical Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Altzek is working their way up.Altzek is working their way up.Altzek is working their way up.
  • No
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »

In my opinion, a mirror universe would be a hazard, bad tok'ra and good goa'uld? *o

You can easily argue that it's the prime universe's case. Goa'uld keep their subjects safe and their culture alive (millenia without a change, stuck in the classical age. There is something good to it, to the whole concept of keeping a culture alive and shielded from outside interference that would denaturalize it) when they're not at war and give their hosts a field day with the lavish life they have (there's the minor detail that they're not in control of their fate or actions, but the millenia they have at their disposal give the snakes the time to take the host's mind, crush it in the tiniest pieces and recompose it in the shape they want. Including one that accepts and even relishes in their condition. So, when the host accepts it... is it really that bad?), while the Tok'ra live in caves and they're constantly at risk of being killed for some idealistic ideology.

The same goes for the Tau'ri. A Goa'uld can give a look at our own history and society and conclude, with a mix of both realism and narcisism, that our modern cosmopolitan culture and materialist (not in the good Marxist sense, but in the sense of attachment to material things) outlook on life would make us turn our off-world human allies into less than the slaves they were under the Goa'uld.
There's even a non-canon comic or novel set after the first movie that shows us doing just this to the Abydonians.

I mean, you would be wrong from my own point of view, but you can make the case.
I'm not the kind of person who generally sees good and evil as relative and a question of points of view, more often than not they're not, but I recognize that any opinion goes in scenarios like these.

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:51:59 AM »

I know well the alternative story or rather the following novels of the film, and are always a source of inspiration

Kohler

• Recruit
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Kohler A new starter.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 10:56:58 AM »

I'd be down for this. I'd be down for anything Stargate related at this point. Was this idea explored in fan fiction or something?

Khnum

• Major
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:36 PM »

That I know no ... then the internet is immense, if there is something, you will certainly find it

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 244
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 10:20:50 PM »

No you honestly can't go backwards.

This is the science behind it, Gate travel is virtually moving through a wormhole in space.

Time travel through a wormhole is technically feasible under the rules of theoretical physics—the only catch is that we can only ever go backward.

In a blog post for Forbes, astrophysicist Ethan Siegel has explained just how—within the realms of Einstein's General Relativity—a person could travel through a wormhole and go back in time.

He said that we first need to consider the wormhole—a portal through space created by energy fluctuations in positive and negative directions. The different fluctuations would each create a curved space that opposes the other. If these two were then connected, you would have a wormhole. If it lasted long enough, theoretically a particle could be transported through.

However, scaling this up so a human could pass through would be more difficult. First, it would involve the discovery of particles with a negative mass and energy. Once we had this, then we would need to create a supermassive black hole and negative mass/energy counterpart. This, he says, “should allow for a traversable wormhole.”

Once you have a wormhole, you then need the laws of special relativity to deal with the time aspect.

If someone stepped into the event horizon on the recieving gate (RG) though and someone else was to come through from the POO gate what would happen, would the travelers molecules become mixed with the disintegrated persons and then a mix of both spat out of the RG, would both fail to rematerialise, would the traveler pick up the person that'd been dematerialised and push them out?

Its fair to assume that it would be possible for someone that had entered a RG end to be dematerialised in a way that they could be rematerialised, otherwise Jack would of lost his fingers when he put his hand in the gate.

However, The gates were built with various failsafe's in place, so when you enter the RG you dont go anywhere, it demateriases you, realises you cant actually go anywhere, and spits you back out.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go
Pages: [1] 2