Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: SGC-Sam's lab  (Read 364 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 249
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
SGC-Sam's lab
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:49:42 PM »

Located on level 18 just up the hallway from Daniel's lab, this room has been the scene of many of its own adventures and the start of many more.

Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
Re: SGC-Sam's lab
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »

It had been six months since Cate and her team had returned home to Earth from their rescue mission in the Pegasus galaxy, six months since one of her best friends had been returned home. Some things were never easy, despite a happy outcome, that had been one of them which left many wondering their future with Stargate command. For Cate it meant assessment of what she did, in that she had asked for and was granted a temporary leave from her team to focus on her second love (behind flying) and that was science. The very thing she was doing now that robbed her of sleep; when she had a problem on her mind she had to solve it there and then.

About a month after coming home, Cate was promoted to the rank of Wing Commander, having put in the hard yards it was a recommendation that had been put through to DoD in Canberra by General's Jack O'Neill, Hank Landry and approved by Admiral McRaven. Canberra didn't hesitate. It had of course caused a few jealous remarks, but that was acceptable and fell off her shoulders like water off a duck's back.

She had been in Sam's lab for 15 minutes doing some tidying up when her cellphone rang. The caller ID was familiar so she answered immediately. Not something she normally did.

"Sam what are you doing up" The she said curiously

"I'll explain quickly." The explanation was long, yet quick enough. Cate got the importance immediately.

"Christ....." She swore and a fair bit more as well "What do you need me to do?" She asked sincerely.

"Where are you now?"

"In your lab why?"

"What are you...never mind. I'll be there in 30 minutes. While you're waiting, see if you can find the closest stellar black hole in this galaxy to us."

Cate logged into NORAD. If the answer wasn't found there she'd look elsewhere "I'm on it. I'll have at least five options for you by the time you get here Sam." She began work immediately.
Far Dareis Mai

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:52:06 AM »

*Text messages arrive on all cellphones notifying all personnel of the need for volunteers, briefly outlining the mission*

Not a few minutes after Cate had hung up, she had found what she was looking for, already she began crunching numbers and permutations to get a start on what would be a very long drawn out mathematical exercise. She had the basic figures down, plus a working computer model done when her cellphone buzzed not once but twice, indicating two text messages. One from the Control room and one from Sam. She read both, knowing ahead of what was contained in the first text, she dismissed that for the moment, then read Sam's very short message. 'Report to the briefing room when you're done'. That was it.

Cate closed her laptop, unplugged it, made sure the battery was at 100%, then left for the briefing room.

Far Dareis Mai

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:24 AM »

<<From Briefing Room>>

Both Sam and Cate got right to work the moment they sat down. On opposite sides of the tall bench with a desktop display fronting each of them, Cate uploaded her data into the mainframe of the computer so that Sam could correlate her data. After perhaps two minutes of doubling checking her figures, Sam leaned to one side to speak to Cate. "How long did this take Cate? I thought I'd ask."

"Hmmm, about twenty maybe thirty minutes. Why do you ask?" Sam was of course a close friend, so she was quite accustomed to Cate's sometimes blunt replies, many weren't.

Sam bobbed down looking at the screen than up again. "Nothing really, all I can say is you're on the money. But...you're concerned about the return trip if at all possible aren't you?"

The other blonde leaned around her own screen, a slight frown on her face. "Yes, plus the fact that we're going to have to have such pin point accuracy hitting the mark on the way out, just half a degree out Sam and we could end up who knows where."

"Well, lets wait and see what Bill says, you know sometimes having another viewpoint can see the things we can't."

"True."

Far Dareis Mai

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:29:12 PM »

"He's not coming Cate, I have a message here.." Sam was tapping on her screen. "He said he has the flu, every muscle in his body is aching madly and he can't even lift his head." Sam sighed, she was counting on at least one other brain to double check these calculations. For while she admitted that Cate was much better than the woman might admit herself, it never hurt to get that one other view.

Cate flicked a stray strand of hair out of her face, she was far too engrossed in her work to hear clearly what Sam said; it sounded like a mumble to her. She looked over the top of her monitor. "Erm...sorry Sam you were saying?"

Shaking her head, Sam half laughed. "Bill, he has the flu."

"Ah, oh...right. Jay?" She was stumbling over her own tongue at the moment, the math was wrestling with her, Cate knew she was right but there was a glitch.

"You are joking aren't you? I mean I like the man, but do you know just how long it would take for him to even peruse the first ten lines of your equation?"

Blinking as if she were a rabbit in headlights, Cate scratched her chin for all of one second. "Yes I do and no we don't have that amount of time and we have another problem Sam. Our window of opportunity has shrunk considerably. Look closely at the computer model, then compare it with the NASA images. That black hole of ours will move onto another angle within 20 hours, a feature of small black holes, they are influenced by gravity pull from larger nearby stars. Our trip there will take 14 hours ten minutes, giving us 3 hours 90 minutes to get everything done here that needs to be done. If we're out by one thousandth of a degree, we could kiss this whole mission good bye." That meant everything, the clothing, ID's everything.

While Cate was talking, Sam was doing exactly as she was directed even to the point of going over the calculations twice herself. "Insert expletive here." Her face a mask of worry.

"I'll say it for you....frak!"

"Yeah that. I'll call the Admiral immediately." Pressing her comslink, Sam went straight into it. "Admiral McRaven its Sam Carter. We've just been going over the computer modeling and the data we've received from NASA. Our black hole will move slightly in 20 hours, not giving us enough time to reconfigure our mission profile. That means we have a little over 3 hours to complete everything here before the team leaves. I've doubled checked the figures, they are correct." Now that had to wait.
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »

"Understood, Colonel. I frankly would prefer if the timetable didn't keep moving on us like this, we've gone from three weeks to a few days to now a couple of hours. Is that even at all possible to make the modifications to the -401 and get the prep work done? And have you informed the other teams?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:58:22 AM »

"You heard Cate?" Sam asked, she did after all know that the 'other' blonde was virtually plugged in, the woman rarely took her earpiece out. Sam often wondered if Cate slept with the damned thing in. 

Blue green eyes looked up, blinked twice, looked back at her screen before saying."I did and yes I agree the time frame is narrowing even as we speak. So I've looked at the options we 'might' have Sam. Not much but it does give us a few extra hours." The sound of her tapping the keys was loud.

"And..?" Sam was doing her own searching for answers at the same time. "Bingo!" She said first. "We can fit that half depleted..."

"...ZPM to the Odyssey and that will shorten the trip outbound by four hours." Cate finished Sam's sentence, they had both come up with the same conclusion.

At this point Sam felt like laughing, it wasn't the first time the two of them had been through something similar. "Now all we need to do is get Ian's approval to use the Oddy to give our 401 and ride out. How long to set up the Blackbird?" That was the particular 401 chosen for the mission, for a number of reasons, a/ being that it had already been heavily worked over by the science team recently.

"Thirty minutes. Five minutes to upload the mission profile into the mainframe, then twenty five minutes to make sure its working...and we're done." Well other than the rest of the teams that is.

Thinking about it Sam concluded that was their best angle, there was no other way really and besides which that extra time bought could be used on board the Odyssey to finalize whatever else needed to be done. "Okay Cate, get your gear together, you can head up to the Oddy as soon as you're ready." All this time Sam had put her coms on mute temporarily, she opened it up again. "Admiral sorry to keep you waiting. We do have an option if you're agreeable to it. You recall that half depleted ZPM we found recently? Cate and I have determined that if we fit that to the Oddyssey we can gain four hours traveling time outbound, more or less using that as a transport for the 401. That four hours can be used to finish up anything we need to do that we don't have time for here, and no sir I wanted to speak to you before informing them. Catherine said she can have the 401 ready for deployment in thirty minutes."

"Catherine?" Cate grinned. "Right thanks 'Mum." She didn't though poke her tongue out. 

Far Dareis Mai

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »

<<All going back in time, assemble on the Odyssey tagged <Odyssey Briefing Room>. It will be thirteen hours after the present time >>
Far Dareis Mai

lethal-pageant