Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Some Graphics Card Questions and Help  (Read 374 times)

planettv

• Recruit
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • planettv A new starter.
Some Graphics Card Questions and Help
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »

I have done some searching but haven't really found what I am looking for so I'm hoping there is someone here who is good with graphic cards that can help me. I asked one other place but didn't get any help there and that's why I'm asking here.

1. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a Nvidia GeForce 6600 would work on a computer with a 580w power supply and, if so, does Nvidia still have the XP version of the legacy drivers available for download?

Also, I would like some suggestions of Nvidia cards that work well with a 580w power supply and Windows XP.

2. My Mom has this Dell computer with Windows 7 and it's never had a graphics card in it but has slot for one. It has 300w power supply and I was wondering what AMD and Nvidia cards would work with it. She will be getting a computer from the same place my Dad had mine built from but until we can do that I would like her to have graphics card in this one. I should mention that games she plays on there are Hoyle, Bookworm, Bejeweled 3, games by Legacy Games and ones like that.

Quick side note: I would have used my AMD/ATI X1300 but it's a card from when XP/Vista were the it Windows OS's so there are only drivers for those. Also, I would have used my AMD Radeon 2400 HD, which I know works with Windows 7, but I would like to keep it in my HP XP computer.

Nvidia cards: Suggestions should work with Windows XP and 7 and up
AMD Cards: Suggestions should work with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and up

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
Re: Some Graphics Card Questions and Help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »

@planettv

I know this an old request, months old in fact. But did you manage to resolve the issue? I ask because we do have a very old XP desk top that has the same issue. Hence the reason I can only come on line using my daughter's computer.

planettv

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:39 AM »

@planettv

I know this an old request, months old in fact. But did you manage to resolve the issue? I ask because we do have a very old XP desk top that has the same issue. Hence the reason I can only come on line using my daughter's computer.

I have not resolved this issue yet, either part, but I did manage to have my Mom take pictures of the Power Supply labels and I got DxDiag.txt log files, that you can get from the Direct X Diagnostic Tool (DxDiag.exe) that comes with Windows, for both of her PCs (Vista and 7). I do plan to join the AMD Community, an a official forum of sorts for AMD, and see what people say there.

https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/graphics

In my HP XP, which has 300W PSU, I currently have an AMD/ATI Radeon 2400 HD. It's an old card and it's been on legacy drivers since 2013. It works with XP-7 and I think mine is the PCI Express version. The previous card I had in there was AMD/ATI Radeon X1300 which is also on legacy drivers and has been since 2010. It works with XP, Vista and Linux.

If your XP PC does have a 300W or higher PSU, here is a Newegg search for a AMD/ATI Radeon 2400 HD: https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=Radeon%20HD%202400&Submit=ENE

Newegg apparently does not ship outside the US.

When I do join the AMD Community, I will post I link here to the thread I start.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »

Thank you dear that may well help us. As pensioners investing in a brand new computer is now a little beyond our reach.

planettv

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »

Thank you dear that may well help us. As pensioners investing in a brand new computer is now a little beyond our reach.

You are most welcome. My HP XP happens to be a hand me down PC as it was my Dad's before it was mine as well as my absolute final XP PC which I never got around to getting set up before my Dad got real sick and died about 3 and half years ago, so if someone else in your family ever gets a new PC and they have taken great care of their old PC and it's still good maybe they can give it to you.

CPU Solutions - I'm just posting this because they built computers, basically, with a budget in mine and full customization. They currently have a fall sale going on and this where my Dad got my Windows 7 PC from. It's worth looking at even thou you can't get a new one and maybe, at the very least, it will help someone in your family. I should note that it is getting harder for them to built PCs with Windows 7 and it has something to do to with the inner workings of the PC. Like Newegg, they don't ship outside the US.
http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/home.asp

lethal-pageant