Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 1944 Northern Europe  (Read 653 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 227
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: 1944 Northern Europe
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:04 PM »

< Gotland, North East beach >

Cate glared at the other woman as if she herself was insane, the arch of the eyebrow said it all though. "Born bred and raised under the Australian sun Astrid, with 99% of my service life spent in similar climates other than the occasional winter on the Alpha site, where as Mike will tell you we spent two whole months deep underground with us barely sticking our noses out the door. Nothing moves there in winter, nothing." Although she was well aware that this last winter on the alpha site was the coldest ever and they fought a war in it. She felt painfully for them under those conditions.

But there was the here and now, they had a job to do. "Well Mike, its like this. I could do it myself and be as crazy as a Queensland crocodile thereafter, or you could be like a cuddly possum protecting his lot and simply dong me really quick...or do I have to make it an order? Your choice." She glanced around, they were still alone but that wouldn't last, Cate could here the sound of a motor boat not too far away coming from the North. "Just do it." She said bracing herself.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 12:45:41 AM »

He looked intently in to her face, realizing that there was no way out of it and grabbed the piping. It felt cold and unyielding in his sweaty palm. The boat closing in on them most definitely adding to the anxiety he felt about what he was about to do.
Taking a deep breath, he pointed with it towards a large piece of drift wood a couple of yards away, slightly hidden behind some boulders. “Let’s get over there so that you can sit down. Astrid, keep a look ou, will you? As you said, being caught doing this would probably complicate things even further.”
He’d been in lots of fights as a teenager and well, some of had not been pretty, but he had never ever, beaten a woman. That promise he’d made to himself so many years and life times ago had been a sacred one. Up until this day…

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 12:51:13 AM by NG »

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »

"I find the winters there absolutely lovely. Reminds me of home." Astrid replied with a cheeky grin. There was the part, though, that she was a Swedish Army Ranger for most of her career, and so she had to grow to live in the cold. Her arctic warfare training did not come without a cost, and at least on the Alpha Site, it had more relevance than it had in Afghanistan...

She then looked between Mike and Cate, "Again, you really should have done this before we left. And if this is a problem, then perhaps I should do it."

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
  • NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!NG has great potential!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 01:03:14 AM »

Mike closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, “I’ll do it! But yes I agree, this should have been done at some other place. Just watch our backs alright?”
He stood by the log, waiting for Cate to take her seat, making it easier for him to control the situation and hit her in the right angle, not risking a scull fracture or anything worse.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 09:26:34 PM »

"I was busy." Cate quipped in her usual brief dialogue. Yes it should have been done earlier, but when? She couldn't afford to take the risk doing what she had to do if her mind was compromised with an injury. "Nevertheless we do what we need to do don't we? The tools at hand so to speak."

Going up into the sand dunes, boulders and drift wood again reminded her of home, so many places albeit warmer were much like this especially in Queensland a state she often felt that one day she could move to. Cate sat down then with her back hard against the cold stone; she closed her eyes waiting for the blow yet somehow found herself in that ethereal world of dreams, the El'Dari world of dreams. "Do it Mike..." She floated in darkness for a moment, then she was in the cockpit of a Me262 plummeting towards the sea, both engines had failed....'mayday, 'mayday'. Her voice was saying in perfect German, yet it wasn't her voice at all.
Far Dareis Mai

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 01:01:45 PM »

Setting a dislocated shoulder right… or applying pressure on a wound also meant you inflicted pain to another human being, but this – this was something completely different and for a second he almost regretted not having handed over the pipe to Astrid. The next second, he pulled himself together, knowing he was probably better suited for this anyway, knowing more than her where not to hit and where it was more likely to make it look worse that it actually was.

“Just… just keep your eyes closed and stay still, alright?” He weighed the pipe in his left hand for a second, placed his right on top of Cate’s head to make sure she didn’t move and after taking another deep breath, he placed the blow with a sickening ‘thud’ just above her hairline.
Swallowing back the nausea, Mike dropped the pipe like it had burnt his hand and crouched in front of her, mumbling “I’m sorry…” as he watched a small trickle of blood make it’s way down her forehead, towards the nose. “How do you feel?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »

The camouflaged twin jet fighter continued on its downward spiral, Kaethe was by now experiencing black outs as the G forces either pressed her into the seat hard or tried to tear her body apart. She kept pulling violently on the canopy release to no avail for those very same forces that were working against her also worked against the aircraft. From one corner of her eye she saw an aileron tear away from the starboard wing, the shuddering vibration was now so bad she broke a tooth. The water was coming at her now so fast it felt like a blur.....

Cate waved her hand at Mike, a signal she was in that state of calm where pain was the last thing to bother her. Zen and Kung-Fu masters practiced it, though she always felt those people practiced more hokey pokey than anything else. The real state of calm came from that distant connection she somehow maintained with the El'Dari, the lessons learned with the natural awareness she had of her abilities, no matter how much she tried to ignore them.

The final moment came for Me262 #34 when like a Cormorant it plunged into the cold Baltic waters making very little splash, such was its angle and velocity. It continued down into the depths, Kaethe making a final struggle to do something managed to release her harness; streams of bubbles filled her vision either side of the sealed cockpit, what would become her tomb. The Messerschmidt hit the floor of the sea with a deep resonating thud, it's nose buried in an underwater cavern; the forehead of the blonde pilot hit the review mirror with a sickening crunch as cracks started to spread in the plexiglass, cold water filled the cockpit, mixing with blood. "Es tut mir so leid, Mutter."

Tears filled Cate's eyes when she finally opened them. She looked up at Mike with an expression of deep sadness, not pain. "No, Mike I am sorry I had to put you through that....she was alive, oh God she was alive...." To him and Astrid she might have been rambling, or suffering from the blow. That was the problem, Cate wasn't at all. "Let me stay here for a moment..."

The sound of the oncoming vessel drew closer, from around the bend one of the German Seenotdienst boats slowly chugged along, the Luftwaffe flag flying from the stern in the breeze. All over the decks crew using binoculars scanned the waters, frustration was clear on their faces.

Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 02:30:33 PM »

The problem Astrid had going in her mind was how to approach anyone that they spotted. Her cover did state she was German, but a fisherman was highly unlikely to demand papers and so she at least could fall back on her native language. That was a bit complicated, since Gotland's dialect tended to be a bit...peculiar when compared to what she was used to, but hardly unusual either. There wasn't any reason she couldn't be on Gotland instead of the mainland.

But if she had to approach anyone that would ask for her papers, it was probably best to stumble her way around Swedish. Luckily, her conscription period spent guarding Stockholm Palace left her with enough time spent around tourists barely able to speak Swedish to emulate them. That way, she could at least play the part of a German national in Sweden...

She let Mike and Cate do their thing, though she had no idea what the hell was going on either. That wasn't her new main concern, though, as the boat was getting closer and it was a German boat.

"You both have about fifteen seconds to get back to reality and decide if we wave down that ship or not." Astrid said directly. It wasn't her usual playful tone, it was far more authoritative, the tone Kapten Lofquist, Arméns jägarbataljon, took when the situation was far more dire.

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 03:28:38 PM »

A chill ran down Mike’s spine as Cate continued mumbling an incoherent mix of German and English. ‘Oh s#it. Must have hit her a lot harder than intended.’

Nodding as a sign of having understood Astrid’s order, he craned his neck to see who was approaching them, “A vote for not calling for attention?” he said quietly. Like either one of the women would care for his input in a military chain of command.
He slid his back pack off, ripped open a field dressing from one of the side pouches as he spoke. “Cate?” he said in a sharp voice as he started to wrap her head, “Get a grip on your self. Focus!”
He would have preferred to clean the wound and maybe even put in a stitch …or four, but he knew this would do for now. If there were to be any scarring in the future, it would be hidden by the hair and infections… well, hopefully he’d have time worry about that at a later point.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 12:55:58 AM »

Even from this distance Cate's heightened senses could smell the dieseline fumes from the boat. That was a big difference she knew between allied vessels of that size and the German versions, the allies used good old petrol, whereas the Germans preferred diesel. Heaven forbid they even put diesels on aircraft; what were they thinking?

Stretching her neck up a little higher so she could identify the craft, she bobbed down again quickly when she recognized it. In just 24 hours back at the SGC and then on the Oddy she had absorbed so much information on this era she was now a walking breathing encyclopaedia. "Luftwaffe air sea rescue, they're looking for me and yes I'm focused Mike and thank you for the dong on the scone, it is painful as it should be but I'll cope. Astrid, I'm thinking that maybe that boat is our quick ticket to Hamburg, what do you think?" It made sense, they could explain away everything right here on the beach. But the smallest issue she could see was Mike; the Germans weren't exactly sympathetic to the Poles, and vice versa unless he could convince them he was one of those rare Polish citizens who went to the 'other side'. "It's up to you Mike. If we don't let them see us we can still make that village and catch a ride on a fishing boat, that'd be easier for you but of course slower. I'll leave the final decision to you." A stray hand wiped blood from her head. "You did a damned good job mate by the way." She at least gave him a crooked smile.
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »

"I'm only bringing it up because of two reasons. One, we're supposed to be captured and found by Herr Brasche. The successor of the Abwehr would be interested to learn why a hero of the Reich is suddenly back. Two, if we're made fleeing the island by boat by the SAR teams, then we're only putting off the inevitable and we look even more suspicious, and that could lead to us being tortured by the Gestapo before Brasche gets involved." Astrid pointed out. The boat looked like it was starting to turn away.

"Now or never."

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »

“Oh don’t mention it”, Mike said with ill disguised disgust.
He sat back on his heals as he listened to Astrid, then pointed with his thumb over his shoulder towards her, “I’m with her. I am so not throwing myself in to the arms of the Gestapo. At least she seems to have paid attention during history classes.” Picking up the shed paper and put it back in the bag, he continued, “I say we stick to the plan we made up, even if it’s a slower route. It’ll allow me to have a second look at all those cuts you have as well. Something that I’m sure I won’t be allowed to do in a prison cell.”
The sound of the engine changed as the boat shifted its gear and Mike looked back up at Astrid, “It’s heading out again, right? Is it safe to move on?” and after a final look at Cate, “3 clicks to walk and you tossed away a shoe. What the h€ll were you thinking?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 12:41:45 AM »

"I'm up for it." Cate said as she waited for the SAR boat to be completely back around the point, she waited even longer until the sound of the motors was definitely heading away. Then she sat down to pull off the other boot, throwing it away randomly. "That is about the only thing in common I share with your missus Mike, barefoot Aussie surfer girl, I'm far more comfortable on these.." She pointed to her feet as she stood wiggling her toes in the sand. "....than those horrid things. So, three K's, I think if we stick to the road if there is one, we can probably do it in around an hour or less. The aerial recon photos we saw from this era showed nothing more than a cart track from here to the village and its all sand, but I imagine it'll be hard packed. Astrid you want to take point as the good doctor here has to 'assist' the wounded Nazi pilot." She winked at Mike, thinking that she might end up assisting him in the end. "We've got to make it look convincing, so not too much patching up Herr Doctor okay?"
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »

"Pretty sure political party doesn't take over for nationality, but what the hell do I know?" Astrid commented before setting off, "So, since we're not handing you right off to the authorities, I need to know 100% right now what I'm supposed to tell the locals. Also, I hope you have a plan on how we're supposed to get found so that we contact Brasche, because our best bet just sailed away. Hopefully the locals are keeping their mouths shut, because otherwise, we're in even greater danger if someone sees you and reports it."

NG

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

Mike snorted out a laugh in an almost perfect Australian dialect, “So you admit the two of you*do have something more in common than being Aussie?!”
With the boat being merely a small disturbance in the back ground of the waves lapping the shore, he straightened up and swung his back pack over his shoulders. “Don’t worry. I’ve got materials from the 40’s and drugs that are state of the art… meaning our decade, so I promise you - it’ll be convincing.”
He listened to Astrid as they started to make their way up btween the rocks and limb stone cliffs, towards the road ahead, “She’s got a point you know Cate. We really need to flesh this out. I’m supposed to be a Polish doctor on vacation. Carrie helped me sift through the news papers from this era, and the people here were poor. Their economy run in to the ground. They took an income where ever they could find one – even if it meant to rent a cottage to a foreigner for a few weeks during the summer. As far as I understand it though, neutral or not, the people here are not Nazi-sympathizers, although there were a lot of them in all the military branches, so it shouldn’t be very hard to find someone we can contact.”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

lethal-pageant