Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: MacDill AFB, Tampa, Florida  (Read 351 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 219
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: MacDill AFB, Tampa, Florida
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2018, 01:24:16 AM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

"Wonders never cease do they?" Bonnie quipped following the Colonel's lead by grabbing the headset, she tossed one each to Bryan and Jon into the bargain. "Gonna get noisy, real noisy soon." Just as she spoke the heavy whump, whump of the big rotor started to spin, she could see the tip of the blades through the window. "My old man used to tell me they called the 53 the Jolly Green Giant back in Nam. Its crazy to think isn't it, just like the Herc they can't kill these things and keep making them. I guess its one of those cases if it ain't broke don't fix it."

He read the book, that was obvious Bonnie thought grinning at the Lieutenant. "Right sir, Bryan we'll check the mechanicals and make sure everything is in place, I guess we can't start the motor up in here, but then again I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given us a lemon either." They needed to find the manual first.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Bluebell722

• Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bluebell722 hides in shadows.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

Jon slipped on the headphones. "I'm no mechanic but I'm no slouch with a wrench either. When the bus broke down in 1969 I did manage to get the thing started again. Also I can swim. In case things go sideways."

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 79
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 03:29:21 PM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

Bryan caught the headset, slipping it over his ears.  It never failed to amaze him how loud these bad boys could get.  He loved them.  All the power and speed.  It was a well oiled machine that he itched to get his hands on.

Bryan glanced at Bonnie.  "Sounds good.  And we might need your help along the way, Jon.  Hopefully all is in order."

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2018, 06:06:48 PM »

Shouting was now de rigeur in communicating even with the added benefit of the headset, the noise of the chopper was still overwhelming with that constant beating of the rotors above you; it was quite hard to focus. Al being the oldest had the most difficulty of course, yet he did manage to cope rather well. "Nice discourse on the stats of the boat Nealson, I'm sure those figures will come in handy at some point. I was if I missed the point, asking if this particular RHIB was up to par for us to use. No rips, tears, does the motor have all its bits and pieces- I think you know what I mean."

They did though get passed that moment as Heckman and Walker did their thing so all they had to do now was to wait, and wait they did. It wasn't exactly flying first class, there wasn't even a washroom available, which meant he knew quite well what the first thing they'd be doing once they were back on the ground.

Al glanced out the window several times, he wasn't at all taken aback to see that the pilot was flying low, no more than one hundred feet or so off the water. That meant a fast trip, especially with a good tail wind. The two refueling shots went well, it was rather exciting to watch knowing the crew up front had that big pointy stick in front of them lining up behind a USMC C-130 tanker with its fueling basket; time went by until.  "Thirty minutes." Came over their headsets.

"Team, start prepping for a quick stop over. They'll fuel up again and we need to touch base with the Green Beret team, brief them quickly then back to the chopper. We'll have an hour so make the best of it. We should eat and do whatever we need to do before the last leg."

Bluebell722

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 11:16:20 PM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

Jon nodded. "Yes, sir." For the stopover he could leave most of his pack behind on the chopper, but just in case, he wanted to make sure he had the necessities with him - sidearm, knife, compass, his good luck charm, and a couple of power bars.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

They settled in nicely, with Bonnie humming most of the time as she found a tune in anything. The drum of the engines and those big blades set up a rhythm for her which reminded her of the street beats so often heard pumping out from the massive speakers they had in their cars as kids. It was catchy. Both her and Bryan spent their time going over everything twice, she studied the manual back to front and the only surprise she had was when she told everyone this little rubber ducky could do almost 80 knots flat out. "I mean like 90 miles and hour on water! That is insane." She exclaimed when she read it incredulously. After that it was routine, catch forty winks here and there, chat a bit until they got the 30 minute call, which was about time. "Got it sir. I have a few priorities but I know we can get it all done. I just hope there is a decent cafe nearby when we land, I'm starving." Eating rations wasn't exactly the healthiest choice in the world.

"Holy Hannah!" that was around about the time the landfall showed up visually. They were making for the Air Base there and to her it looked like someone was prepping for something big. "Guys, look at this." She pointed eagerly to the 3 huge transports sitting on the tarmac, soldiers were everywhere and even from this distance she could see they were from different units. Bonnie could, they others would have to wait until they got closer.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »

<<Ch-53 to Puerto Rico>>

Bryan absently tapped his foot as he studied the manual.  He barely even noticed the noise around them as He was so used to such loud noise.  The cars and radios were just as bad.

Bryan looked over Bonnie's shoulder.   "You've got to be kidding," he exclaimed as she commented about the speed.  A grin touched his lips.  That would be awesome to try out.  Bryan shook his head.  "That's a lot of people," he commented.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 12:23:51 AM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

Al casually looked out himself, shrugged as it was as much as he suspected without the advantage of seeing all that close up. "Green Berets from the seventh and a Navy boat team. The rest are here merely to give the look of a major exercise, which will hopefully cover much of what we do."

The chopper landed smoothly without so much as a bump; checking his watch Albert was pleased that they had made up twenty minutes in the flight. Still he didn't want to waste time either. "Leave your gear behind, do what you need to do while I talk to the crew. And could one of you grab me a roast beef sandwich with mustard and a coke thanks. I'll see the Green Beret Commander before we leave."

Bluebell722

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 11:44:43 PM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

"On it, sir," Jon said, because he wanted some food himself.

As soon as they landed he was going to find the facilities, take care of business, get some food and beverages for himself and his CO. He needed to be in the right headspace for this mission, and it'd take him a bit to get there. And he ought to practice his very rusty Spanish.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 01:09:43 AM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

"That must be the biggest fake exercise ever." Bonnie said as she checked to make sure she had everything she needed before leaving the helicopter. Satisfied all was in place (her wallet most importantly) she secured her pack and weapons under the seat before walking down the tail ramp with Bryan. "We won't use all that time up sir, just to be sure we're back in time." Taking a deep breath she almost gagged on the thickness of the aviation fuel smell that hung on the air; Bonnie held her hand over her mouth and nose. "See ya when we get back Eltee and watch the chickas around here, they can be a little on the light fingered side if you know what I mean." Bonnie had been here a few years ago when she was not long out of basic, traveling on a C-130 to Guantanamo, dropping off some Marines. She had her watch taken within 10 minutes of being here and it was a girl. 

"Come on Bry, there is one thing I gotta check out and that is the base PX. I'm not leaving here with a souvenir of the place and some decent snacks." There were also one or two personal items she had to get, although part machine, Bonnie still had most of her 'bits' in place as she often said.
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

Jon had Reynolds food taken care of so that was one less thing for them to worry about.  Although food certainly sounded good at the moment.  His protein bar from earlier was now gone.  He stowed his own packs under his seat before pushing up with a stretch.  No matter how many time he rode in the different planes it always felt good to stretch. 

"Quite a production they're making to keep things quiet," he commented.  "Be back soon, sir."  He moved to follow Bonnie.  Great, more watching their backs.  He didn't really feel like losing a watch again.  He had done that in the past.    Bryan glanced over as he walked beside Bonnie.  "And just where would you like to head first?" he asked curiously.

Bluebell722

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

"Noted, Bonnie," Jon said. He wasn't much for letting strangers touch him, and he'd had his pocket picked more than once.

He headed for the PX and scouted around for premade sandwiches, grabbed a roast beef with mustard for the CO, grabbed a turkey sandwich for himself, and a couple of Cokes, even though he knew they'd taste different from stuff on the mainland.

He paid with cash and headed back out to the CH-53, stood beneath the shadow of the craft and looked out over the airfield, at the craft he recognized and the ones he'd even piloted before. He missed flying. A lot. He was lucky with the SGC he'd get to do it again.

He scouted around, found his CO, waggled the man's wrapped sandwich and hoped to catch his eye, then set about eating his own food. Best to eat while he had the chance. If they stopped here on the way back, he'd buy a postcard and send it home to Kim and Sophie. That way they'd both know he'd made it out alive.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

"Thank you Lieutenant." Albert said to the pilot as he left the cockpit which conveniently was around the same time Nealson returned; snatching the food and soda he sat next to the younger O'Neill clone. "I suppose at this point you as your former self would have something wordy to say about going into the maw of the enemy Jon? You know I don't suppose you've ever considered just how absurd this situation is have you" He unwrapped the sandwich, gave it a sniff that amounted to it passing muster then took a bite. That was a surprise, it was actually quite good. "When Loki did his thing I was still a Major and you were already one our most senior Colonels, so I guess you know where I'm coming from right now don't you?"

Bluebell722

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

Jon paused before he took a bite of his sandwich. "Me, sir? Wordy? I don't know that most people would describe me as loquacious or a Chatty Cathy." He winced. Loquacious was one of those crossword winners he'd picked up from Daniel, and he was pretty sure none of the kids on his team even knew what a Chatty Cathy looked like.

"But your recollection about our respective ranks before I was put through the Xerox is correct. As for the absurdity of the situation, I figure if everyone comes out of this with their own bodies, ages, faces, and no accidental spouses, it's not too absurd. Better inter-service support than I'd have gotten, back in the day." He eyed Reynolds. "I'm not here to rain on your parade. You be you, I'll be me, and I know we'll be fine. As fine as we can be, given our posting."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 02:26:26 AM »

<Ramey AFB Puerto Rico>

She kept her pace to a crawl, for Bryan that was a normal walking pace. It had surprised her to realize just how different she was now, and it was only since they had been out in the open like this. For previously it was either on the base or around Springs, or on the Dig site where everything to her was purposely at a slow pace. "PX first. Then wherever their canteen is, I don't like pre-packaged food and...I won't let you eat it either."

"Man yes, I mean like it feels like those documentary movies I used to see on Vietnam. This is crowded." There were plenty of people around, too many for her liking. "Hey watch it buster!" She yelled at an Airman going past in a buggy, just way to close to them. He replied by giving her the middle finger as his little vehicle sped by. "Sheesh, idiots Bryan the world is full of idiots!"
Far Dareis Mai
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4