Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Star Trek~talk fest  (Read 1181 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 312
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Star Trek~talk fest
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »

Love our Star Trek. Here is your new home. Talk about anything, if you wish to have a new page or section for a specific area of the movies or shows, please ask :)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:40:17 PM by Mim »

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Jim Morrison

Re: Star Trek~talk fest
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »

I am a huge Trekkie, its my favourite Sci-Fi.

Zathras

• Airman First Class
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zathras A new starter.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »

Love Star Trek...but I also love a lot of other sci fi.

I do cosplay ENTERPRISE... although that uniform is so fraking hot...as it temp hot.  I rarely can keep it on long before I pull the top down.
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." -- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5:"A Late Delivery from Avalon"

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »

Figured this is as good a place as any to post this picture.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:36:44 PM by Mim »

Khnum

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • Khnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has AscendedKhnum Has Ascended
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:40:46 AM »

gets something to see the cast fifty years after <P

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »

I don't know how many of you are on Facebook, but Larry Nemecheck writes for the official Star Trek magazine and is looking for fan questions for his column

All right Trekfolk—I can use some extra #startrek canon or history /BTS questions to smooth or gap-fill for my next Star Trek Magazine column: Fire away!

https://www.facebook.com/LarrysTrekland/

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 111
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

So, I got Season 1 of ST: Discovery on the PlayStation Store. Been watching it with my dad, I think we're up to Episode 7.

I'll be honest, I like the story and whatnot, it's just the styles that bug me. I don't mind the uniform part, that's fair. But the ships, inside and out, look far too close to being Kelvin-timeline rather than normal. Especially when this is supposed to only be a few years out from The Cage. And this is even more glaringly so with the Klingons, who were already established in Enterprise as having been hit with the Augment Virus and losing their ridges as a result, so that they looked like they do in TOS.

The Klingon ship designs especially bug the hell out of me, and the interior of the Sarcophagus Ship looks more Goa'uld than Klingon. I personally wasn't a fan of the Crossfield-class design either (USS Discovery/Glenn/etc), like the back end looks too much like a D-7 that even my dad pointed that out. I like the other Starfleet ship designs, even if they don't look like they're evolution from ENT to TOS.

Aside from that, I actually like the angle this is going for, and if this is CBS' middle finger to Axanar, well, we could have made out much worse for it.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:47:18 PM »

The Discovery and Glen don't look like the Enterprise, but the exterior design is based off of an early design for what eventually became The Motion Picture. It's a different design for sure, but I like it.

I think the Shenzou does bear a bit of a resemblance to the Miranda class with having mainly just a saucer and the slung nacelles. There likely was other ship designs during TOS era, we just never saw them due to budgetary reasons.

The Klingon ships and blade weapons, do look more organic than we're used to seeing. Not sure why the designers made that distinction. I know books aren't considered canon, but I remember reading a book where the TOS era Klingons had both types. The smooth foreheads and the bumpy foreheads. I think the creators went with the more recognizable look for them. 

Season 2 dropped on Thur, it's looking to be a good ride.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »

I knew about the inspiration for it, I just am not a huge fan of the Crossfield-class' design is all. The rest I liked on the Starfleet side, especially the Shepard-class. This is an era that so few ship designs are really seen for longer than a second and the fanon ones are kind of meh. Kind of why I liked ST: Legacy, it tried to put some decent designs into this era.

But yeah, the more organic look of the Klingons just clashes so hard with everything we've seen. Even in ENT, they didn't look too far off from the ships we see in TOS or TNG. Same with the weapons, too.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still like this series a lot. I like how it's put the usual "always have the moral high ground" approach Starfleet usually has on its head, and while I'm fully aware as to why, I still like it.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »

Spoiler for the most recent episode of Discovery,
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 12:18:54 AM »

Well, that was unexpected, the fan theories I saw were way off the mark.

lethal-pageant