Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Welcome To Texas - Character RP  (Read 143 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Welcome To Texas - Character RP
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:43:21 AM »

...and that was "Highwayman". I love that song. Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash, talk about cramming so much talent into one song. This is Radio Free Texas and I'm your host, good 'ol Jack Blue, playing the good stuff for all of you makin' it day to day out there. I've been gettin' word 'bout them mean SOBs, the Texian Legion, and I'm 'ere to tell ya, steer clear of them guys. They say a lot of good stuff, but they ain't out for you, they're out for themselves...

...Los soldados de la República Popular continúan la lucha contra los imperialistas estadounidenses. Nuestros valientes luchadores derrotaron a otro convoy blindado capitalista, demostrando que su fuerza es falsa. ¡Levántate hoy, únete al Ejército Popular y reclama la libertad que mereces!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Port Lavaca, Texas
March 8th, 2000 - 1122 Hours Local

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

Leaving the ship behind her, Sarah made her way down the road that would take her into Port Lavaca proper. Until now, she had never set foot anywhere near this place, despite the fact she was a Texas native. Now; it was her gateway back to her birthplace.

Vendors shouted over one another as they peddled their wares, while people made their way about. Some had makeshift carts towed by horses or cows full of supplies, and a few were herding a couple cows through the crowd, cardboard prices hung by twine over their bodies. Some rode on horseback, and the rest were on foot.

Everyone here was armed, either with civilian style weapons, especially "cowboy" action weapons, or with military grade weapons. M16s were about as plentiful as lever-action rifles, it seemed.

Sarah made her way along, her CAR-15 slung over her shoulder but with a hand on the sling and her other hand resting on the grip of her sidearm as she made her way through the crowd. She could feel the eyes on her, and realized she was quite a far distance from Tel Aviv, where her presence would have been just as part of things as anyone else.

But then again, Port Lavaca was a far ways away from Israel. Sarah was born in Texas but her family moved to Israel in '78, when she had been 15. Wanting to fit in, she tried to become an Israeli citizen, and that meant serving in the Israeli Defense Force when she turned 18. Which, in turn, meant she had been called back to arms when the war came to the Middle East.

And so, despite the scene, she still stood out in her single color OD green fatigues, since the Israelis never adopted a camo fatigue like the Americans. But she kept her head down and headed for somewhere to get indoors. A bar was as good a place as any, she figured.

It was poorly lit, with sunlight coming in through closed blinds. Old country music was playing on a radio, just barely heard over the din of conversations. It was somehow the saloons seen in old Westerns, but with the touch of modern post-apocalypse America to it. One would almost find it amusing if not so bleak.

Sarah made her way up to the bar and sat down. Given how many eyes were on her, she put both hands on the bar, letting go of the Glock in the drop holster on her right thigh. Doing that seemed to relax some folks.

The bartender, a young woman no older than 17, approached Sarah with a rather chipper smile.

"Howdy. What can I get ya?" She asked.

"Could go for a beer." Sarah replied.

"Got a few left in the cooler. Five bucks." The bartender replied. Sarah reached into one of her cargo pockets, glad that the US base her unit had operated from in Saudi Arabia still took US dollars, withdrew her wallet and handed over seven $1 bills. That got her a can of beer from a cooler behind the bar, cool but not cold.

She cracked open the can and looked around, trying to figure out how to go about getting to Houston, when a man in a nice, though obviously well worn, black and white cowboy shirt and blue jeans and white hat sat down next to her. He was young, with olive skin and black hair. It took a moment for her to not open in Hebrew or Arabic, realizing he was likely Hispanic.

"Howdy. New in town." He said, more in observation than question. Sarah shrugged.

"Jeff Ortega. You a local or passing through?" The man asked.

"It's a long story, but I was born in Texas. Houston, actually." Sarah replied with a slight smile. Jeff did not return it.

"I'm sorry." Jeff said. The smile faded, replaced by concern.

"What?" Sarah asked, her right hand starting to shift before Jeff responded, stopping her cold.

"You didn't hear? Houston was hit by the commies with a nuke. They hit a lot of the oil towns, couple of the airbases too. Hell, I felt some of the wind from the one that landed on Corpus Christi." Jeff replied somberly. That got her blood to run cold for a moment.

"They...nuked Houston?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah. Word is that it was mostly over the oil refineries. But the city, it's pretty dangerous there. Not just from radiation sickness either." Jeff replied. "You still got family there?"

"Aunt and uncle, grandparents." Sarah replied, "Look, I hate to impose, but do you know of the quickest way I can get to Houston?"

"I don't, no. And that...that's a good way to get yourself into a lot of trouble for yourself. Folks aren't as honest as they used to be." Jeff replied. "You look like you can handle yourself, but people these days get pretty devious, especially in your case."

There was a moment of silence before Jeff spoke again.

"Look. There might be a way I can help you. You're a local, you hear of Texas Bill Kingsly?" Jeff asked. Sarah had to think before responding.

"Big shot rancher out this way. Kingly family have a lot of land and are pretty up there in the world. I think my uncle said he tried to run for public office once. Not much past that." Sarah replied.

"Pretty much. He's still got the ranch and money don't mean as much, but he does have a lot of resources. Horses, supplies, contacts, all that. And he's hiring for some dangerous work, work that needs a good hand with a gun and the sense to know when to or not to fight." Jeff said, "The way you came in here, I'd say you've seen some fighting. Not a lot of returning soldiers these days."

"Well. I'm only sort of back." Sarah replied. Technically, the Israeli Air Force would mark her as AWOL and if she ever came back to the Middle East, she'd likely face a firing squad. Israel was a country that did not tolerate deserters.

"I'd also say you're not exactly US Army. Uniform isn't right. Can't place it though." Jeff said.

"Not all soldiers wear camo fatigues. Pilots wear single color uniforms." Sarah retorted.

"True. But not that color, and those are jumpsuits." Jeff replied with a laugh. Okay, this guy was fairly smart.

"I'm not trying to advertise. But your point is well taken." Sarah looked at the beer she had yet to touch before sighing in frustration, "Alright. I'm not getting to Houston any time soon, and I'd rather have something past what I came off the ship with. I guess I'll see what Texas Bill wants."

"Excellent. There's an empty table to the back there. Go ahead and grab a seat there. Others will join us there." Jeff said, standing up. Sarah did the same, picking up the beer. She headed to the table with several empty seats and sat down.

As she did so, she realized she wasn't the only unfamiliar soldier in the place, and Jeff was making his way to each of them.

((OOC: Jeff Ortega will approach each of you and offer you a job for Texas Bill Kingsly, but he won't give details, just that it's dangerous and Texas Bill will pay you for your efforts. He's intelligent, well spoken, third generation Mexican-American. The long of the short of it is that you can do the conversation as you want, but everyone will end up at the table with Sarah.

@Bowsy 112 @Mim @Ellen_Ripley ))

Justin

• Recruit
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Justin A new starter.
Re: Welcome To Texas - Character RP
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 05:42:40 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas
Captain James Porter

Porter stepped off the boat and almost kissed the pier he set foot on. He had joined the Army for a reason. Well, it was mainly for the allowances that helped him pay his tuition after which he had no choice but to do his time, but between having gone career and the world going to shits, that was neither here nor there at this point. The point was, however, that he hated ships and the sea.

Now being free of the ship's regulations he fished in his pocket and withdrew a crumpled pack of cigarettes from which he withdrew one of the last 4 smokes in the pack. After they ran out, he'd have one more pack in his pack before he was completely out.

He lit the cigarette and began walking into town. Being dressed as he was -three-colour desert fatigues, with a U.S Woodland PASGT vest, and the desert camouflage patrol cap on his head- he wouldn't be able to be inconspicuous here. Sure, there were others around in uniform but most of them at least weren't as mismatched as he was. He'd have to see about getting hold of some civvie attire. He didn't know where he would go. It would make sense to find out where to report in though. He didn't fancy being marked as being AWOL.

For now, though, the local bar would be good enough. A chilled beer would be just the thing to help him think. He walked up to the bar where he ordered a beer. He handed the girl behind the counter a fiver before taking his beverage to an empty table. He put the beer down on the table and unslung his rifle which he set on the ground letting the barrel rest against the table before sitting down in a chair himself.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:36:28 AM by Justin »
CHARACTER LIST:
Major Jonathan "Jack" Gallagher, British Army | SG-1 probationary
Major Alexander "Alex" Callaghan, USMC | WIP (off-site)
Lieutenant Commander Robert "Cowboy" Burgin, USN | WIP (off-site)
Captain James Porter | T2K Character RP
1st Battalion, 6th Marines | T2K Unit RP

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:04:18 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

Major Fred Rivers

Fred walked the streets of Port Lavaca. He had been here a while but had never really explored. His customized M16A2 slung in the crook of his arm. His DPM Fatuige jacket rolled up and held my straps on the back of his webbing above the small pack over his arse and his tactical vest was mostly undone, just done up to the first support clasp to provide a little support to the additional pouches mounted on his battle belt and his pack was held loosly on one shoulder. It was hot in Texas. He wasn't a fan. Mostly because of the sweat marks on his dark kakhi T-shirt under the vest but also under his eyepatch. He had finally gotten used to the thing, and then he found out just how sweaty it could get, causing him to wipe it and it was just a new annoyance the old Major could do with out.

he had been in the states a little while and was mostly hunting for some USMC unit to attach himself too. His orders were to find a specific unit, but when he had arrived it couldnt be found so he was left somewhat rudderless, left at a base with nothing to do he had finally gotten bored and set out for a bit of an explore. puffing on a cigar, several days worth of unshaven beard thanks to his Special Forces status he looked over what he could see, and people looked back. He likely looked like some mercenary for hire, even with his Major rank tab strapped to the shoulder of his vest. He wore a dark kakhi boonie to keep the sun from his receding hair line. But he was also aware that the eye patch drew the looks.

he decided to go inside and looked to see a bar. He decided that it was worth it, but he wasnt going to have a beer. he hated the American stuff. Maybe they had some fizzy drinks. He didnt think to stub out the cigar as he entered and glanced around, he spotted a few people, specifically a woman at the bar in non US Military uniform. He made his way to the bar and temoved his boonie and slung his rifle over his back, having no intention of sitting down yet. He pulled out his wallet and looked through it sighing.
"Bollucks..." As he noticed he only had a 2 onehundred dollar notes and 2 single dollar notes. He had gotten some money from the MOD exchange before he left so he would have some notes. But of course it wasnt in any handy notes. He looked to the bartender and gave a nod.
"Sorry, you dont happen to have a few coke's do you?" He asked the cigar still in the corner of his mouth. He then added.
"And change for a hundred note do ya?" He added as he pulled it out of his wallet.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 228
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 02:52:45 AM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

The old truck had used up the last drop of siphoned/stolen fuel she could find. After leaving her ragtag bunch of volunteers behind in Elmaton forty miles away in the hope they could find their own units, Cate was now on her own for the time being; she had her partner, a Border Patrol officer, to take care of their horses and the horse trailer while she went in search of fuel. She came here to Lavaca by sheer coincidence, a message which was now three weeks old said she might find Anne here who had found herself occupied tending to the sick and injured in what was left of a small hospital. How her mother ended up here was another story; the woman should have been home in Sydney but that wasn't to be.

The old 89' E350 Ambulance had seen better days of course, with its hastily painted camo job that was flaking off to reveal its original stark white beneath, several dents and a few bullet holes added to the ageing effect. Well eleven years old wasn't that much but she had been around the clock twice in that time. "Take it easy babe, I'll find some juice for you." Cate said to the vehicle patting its hood, it was hot as expected. She looked around for somewhere to go, the first place she saw naturally was a pub. In truth the old girl probably wouldn't last another week.

"Damn, that's handy." Crossing the road she walked in with the slight limp she had gained, courtesy of a 7.56 through the left thigh. It was healing. Her attire didn't bespoke of her position, rank or even her background; she looked life a refugee off the set of bad spaghetti western. Leather chaps over filthy jeans, a checked shirt that barely showed the checks any more, with a leather vest over that which had seen much better days twenty years ago. Strung around her shoulder was a bandolier for the cartridges she needed for her primary weapon, relieved from a dead enemy some months ago; a Franchi PA8 tactical shotgun. Slung off her back was a well used M16. The bar looked like it had a few customers already, Cate figured she could wait a while before intruding. She found an empty table, dropped the PA on top and laid the M16 next to it then sat down in a small cloud of dust.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:42:32 AM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »

GM POST:

Everyone is directed to the table where a woman with strawberry blonde hair is already seated by Jeff Ortega after entering the bar, before being joined by Jeff after the last one is at the table.

Anyone who served in the Middle East recognizes that the woman's fatigues are Israeli, since they commonly did not use any form of camo fatigue. The mix-match of US desert fatigues and woodland kevlar suggests to anyone from the Middle East theater that Porter is likely not regular Army; likely either Rangers or Special Forces.

The non-US fatigues on Fred pretty much identify him as British to anyone who has been in the same theater as British forces, though much of his gear is far from the normal kit found on British infantrymen.

Anyone can tell the other woman present has likely been here in Texas for a good chunk of the war, if not the whole time.

Anyone familiar with Texas before the war may have heard of "Texas Bill" Kingsley; oldest of two sons to a fairly prominent cotton ranch in south Texas, outside Victoria. Known to be a veteran of the Vietnam War, something that was played up when he tried to run for Mayor of San Antonio in 1990.

The story is a bit different for anyone who has been in this area for even a short while. Texas Bill is known to be the de-facto leader of the South Texas Grange, a collection of farmers and ranchers who are trying to restore law and order in South Texas. They don't have an organization per-say, but Texas Bill does have a lot of weight when he speaks. He's still well regarded and most folks agree he's trying to do what's right. Which also means he's a target...

{Jeff Ortega - NPC}
{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"Okay, so, I want to be clear, you can walk away at this point if you don't like it, but the job you're being hired for is dangerous. You'll be tangling with some bad folks, including the Texian Legion, parts of the Mexican Army, and the usual raiders. Now, if we're real lucky, you won't see hide or hair of any Soviets, we're not heading to San Antonio. Or least, I hope we're not." Jeff explained.

GM Note - All: Everyone has heard of the invasion made by the Soviet and Mexican Armies. Soviet Division Cuba was a bit of a nasty shock for the Texas and New Mexico National Guards.

Cate/Fred - Soviet Division Cuba gave as hard as they took, and they were a Category I unit, meaning they came in with the best the Soviets had. They did most of the thrashing as the Mexican Army was not exactly on the same level of equipment. Word is that most folks avoid San Antonio like it has the radioactive super plague, because no one is quite sure just how badly the Soviets are doing. Rumors range from they're on their last legs waiting to die to that they're just waiting for the Mexicans to get their act together before they roll Texas up and raise the Hammer and Sickle over the state...

"...who are the Legion?" Sarah asked.

"Bunch of mean bastards who want to force people to their idea of an independent Texas. Raiders, deserters, pre war scumbags. If they show up, you either give them what they want or they shoot you and take it. Hell, word is they thrashed a US Army unit last year, took most of their stuff." Jeff replied.

GM Note: - Cate/Fred: You've heard of this. MilGov sent the 95th Infantry Division in and they got kicked in the teeth HARD. Word is that this sent them running with a lot less men and equipment than they left Oklahoma with and it's upset MilGov's plans badly. Word also is that the Legion captured some of the 95th's hardware intact...

"Independent Texas? Like, seceding from the US?" Sarah arched an eyebrow.

"You guys might not know, but America's falling apart. We can't even decide if we even have a President. Texas can stand on her own, but a lot of folks have different ideas about that. The Mexicans want to annex the place, the Communists want their own commie state, and so on. Not a lot of folks want to stay in the US right now, not with two different governments claiming to be the national authority." Jeff explained sadly.

GM Note: - Cate/Fred: You know the Mexican Army is heavily fragmented into three factions. The communists Jeff notes are one such faction, and the Nationalists of the Mexican Army are the ones who want to annex the place. The Loyalists have largely held in place since late last year after the Mexican government collapsed. The Legion isn't super popular in this area, but they've got support in scattered parts of Texas, most of their support is rumored to be in West Texas.

"But that's politics, not a popular subject. So, if you accept the job, Texas Bill can and will pay you guys real well. Money's not useful outside of towns like this, so we've got supplies, horses, and you'd be making a lot of friends out this way. You do this real well, you might even have Texas Bill owing you a favor. Around these parts, that's better than all the gold in Fort Knox...or the biggest target in the world. But he needs people like you; rough and tumble lookin hombres who have the look. You know what I mean, The Look. You don't just know how to fight, you know how to fight smart or know when to walk away." Jeff continued.

"I'll try to answer what I can here, but might be better if we go talk with the man himself. Assuming you're in." Jeff said with a twinkle in his eye.

Sarah's eyes darted around the table for a moment before letting out a resigned sigh. She slammed back the can of beer she had been nursing in several gulps before setting it down.

"Corporal Sarah Cohen, Israeli Air Force Unit 699. Guess I'm at your service."

GM Note: Porter - Unit 699 is the IAF's answer to the Air Force's Pararescue, except they also run extraction ops for special forces teams.

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.Bowsy 112 has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

Major Fred Rivers

Fred didnt sit at the table, instead he stood next to it, one foot raised a little on the leg support bar of Porter's seat, the magazine of his rifle lightly resting on his slightly raised knee and his elbow resting on the stock as he puffed on his cigar and listened, he took the opportunity to add.
"The Legion. Might have some decent hardware. I only got second hand info from some of the american Remf's at the base. But like the man sent, the US Military command sent an infantry division after the legion, they came back tail between their legs with a lot less gear than they set off with, which wasnt much anyway." He added as he took a moment to stub out his cigar on the but of his rifle, there were clear marks where he had done it before. Fred remained quiet for the rest of the conversation before the word 'Horses' came up. He sighed and mumbled.
"sh*t..." He could ride a horse. He just had very little experience past a few quick tutorials during his Special Forces Training. Though he thought about the offer and then shrugged.
"Yeah. Sod it, I'm game. Major Fred Rivers. Special Air Service..." He then remembered.
"Oh Sorry. Special Boating Service now..." He glanced to Porter. He was going to make a guess.
"Delta?" He asked. Then changed his mind instantly looking at the mans rifle. "Or Ranger?"

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:10:11 AM »

Cate sat upright from her slouching position. She listened to what the man said and of course the young woman. It had piqued her interest intently considering what she initially came here for. Shelter and some food, gas for the truck and someone to fix the damned thing up again, then lastly something to be a part of.

She opened her mouth for the lazy Aussie accent to be heard, it was tinged with American notes though by now. "Cate MacGregor, formerly I suppose for the last 18 months or so of the Royal Australian Air Force. Yes I'm a Zoomie. Though as you would more than know people like me have had their wings clipped for some time now so we get by as best as we can. Over this year and half I've been filling in my time volunteering to help out where I can, all of that on two feet or horseback; the teams I've been working with have been primarily going in behind the lines rescuing people who have been cut off from their units, wounded or in some cases we've been asked to retrieve the dead." She heaved her chest in and out, that was the hardest part.

"We started out with 26, now we're down to just four. We have been purposely targeted not only by the effing Mex, but yes the bloody Legion as well. So if you need someone like me, I'm yours. I know my way around and I have a way of getting into places others find too hard to do." Pausing for just a moment she had something to add. "Oh and I have some sh*t you might want to take off my hands as well. No charge, its becoming a burden."
Far Dareis Mai

Justin

• Recruit
  • Justin A new starter.
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas
Captain James Porter
[/color]

Porter allowed himself to be ushered to another table. One that already had someone sitting there. As he sat down, he once again placed his rifle with the barrel leaning against the table as it had been at his old table. He felt no need to tote it around at the moment.

A number of other people joined them, before someone -Porter could tell the man was Texan the moment he began speaking- began talking.

The man explained that he wanted Porter and the others for a high-risk job for Texas Bill. Porter recognised the name, but couldn't quite pin down why. The job would pay well if they survived. Porter saw a problem, however.

"Look, this is all nice and well, but I am still in active service. I can't just run off like that" he said, snapping his fingers to get his point across. "I need to report to report in for orders." he then added. If he didn't, he would very likely be marked as AWOL. That was quite the opposite of what he wanted. In fact, he mainly wanted to find a way back across the water to his unit. His wound had healed... Mostly. He knew the Company was in decently good hands when he boarded the ship, but even so he had to go back.

Then, the man in what seemed to be British DPM inquired about what Porter was. In normal circumstances in the US, he would have pointed at his patches. Since deploying to the Middle East, however, his uniform had been devoid of all things that could identify him as a Ranger. The only thing still on there was his nametape and his branch tape, both of which were hidden under his vest.

"Rangers, sir. Second battalion." Porter said, extending his hand. "Captain James Porter." he said.
CHARACTER LIST:

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:16:00 PM »

<Port Lavaca, Texas>
{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

The Israeli looked over at Porter, a smirk crossing her face.

"James, I'll be honest. If you were that concerned about reporting in, you would be in Saudi Arabia, not Texas. You're here for a reason, just like the rest of us." Sarah said, leaning forward.

GM Note - Porter: It is common practice in the IDF for personnel to be more informal than seen with NATO armies. As a result, an enlisted calling an officer by first name is perfectly normal for her and may have been common to see if you worked with Israeli units.

"Look, you're welcome to try, but the nearest Army outfit I know of is up near Oklahoma. Rumor has it they might have some remains in Houston, but I doubt it. Most of what people say about that city is nothing good." Jeff added.

"Houston got nuked, in case you didn't know. He just told me. Guess they targeted the oil towns." Sarah added darkly.

"Texas Bill is going to want to talk to you guys sooner rather than later. If you're coming, let's go." Jeff stood up and led the way out the door.

Following him leads to a well used late 80s Ford Bronco, tan. He climbs in, fishing out his keys and starting up the truck.

Sarah followed him, keeping a hand on her rifle's sling and her other hand drifted down to rest on the grip on her pistol, a Glock. Force of habit, she unslung her CAR-15, checking the magazine before pulling the charging handle just enough to let the dust cover flip open and got into the passenger seat as she thumbed the safety off. Obviously, like the case with the most of them, she had ridden shotgun in a Humvee.

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

Major Fred Rivers

"frak..." Mumbled Fred at being called Sir. It made him feel old. he guessed he was.
"Dont call me sir please. Makes me sound like I actually do something." he took a moment to take out his mobile phone. it was his work mobile. issued to every UKSF operator ever since the Iranian Embassy, well back then it was pagers, now they had phones.
"feel free to use this mate." he said as he watched the local and the Israeli leave. He sighed as he picked up his second can of coke and shoved it in to a empty utility pouch, his SAS rig designed to carry more ammo and grenades than he had been able to scrounge from the US military. He walked around the back of the truck car thing, he had to admit he liked the American disign, but it was no landrover. Still he walked around the back and climbed in behind the driver seat and rested the end of his weapon out the window, keeping it pointed upwards as much as possible.
"Nobody sneak up on me from the left side." He joked as he put the unlit cigar stub in the corner of his mouth, though he didnt light it yet.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 11:24:46 PM »

To her it seemed like it was a guy thing, this Jeff didn't even bother saying a word to her. Fine, Cate could deal with that easily. Once outside she stopped by their truck. "Look I know what that you need us, but I need a little communication here. Twice I've asked pertinent questions and twice I've been ignored. Three times is a strike out. So can I please get a couple of answers before I make my final commitment?" She wasn't p*ssed, just put off a little, feeling as if they hadn't even seen her.
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"Uh...you haven't asked a single question since you sat at our table, just made statements." Sarah pointed out as she finished rolling down the window to get the shortened barrel of her CAR-15 out of the cab.

"Please ask quickly, but Texas Bill can answer questions a lot better than I can." Jeff said over the din of the engine rumbling after the truck started.

While the engine sounded about right for a late 80s Bronco, it was the smell that was a bit off. Not quite gasoline, more like it smelled a bit like burning alcohol too. A common fix for the lack of gas was to compensate with alternatives. It seemed to be easier than expected, an irony being it took nuclear near annihilation to put alternative fuel sources on the map.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »

Cate thought about for a second, the woman was right. Essentially all she really did was ramble on, nothing more. "My apologies, its been hard you know what I mean? Losing your buddies like we did hit all of us; you'd think we'd be immune to it now but you never are. Anyway I have a buddy up Elmaton way who should be joining us soon, is there anyway we can leave a message for him to follow us up? Our radios fritzed on us weeks ago." Cate hoisted her weapons, she could hold them, no point in having them rattle around loose in the truck.
Far Dareis Mai

Justin

• Recruit
  • Justin A new starter.
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas
Captain James Porter
[/color]

"Right, Corporal, Sir, Ma'am. I'll say this once, and once only. I am absolutely not here by choice. I took shrapnel when we were fighting in..." he began, pausing to remember the name of wherever it was. "... frak, it doesn't matter. The hospital was crowded and I looked worse than I was. They loaded me on a ship bound for America, which of all places chose to dock here." he added. He took a moment to breathe and continued. "It is now my mission to make it back there. I owe at least that to my men." he finished. He had said his piece.

Houston got nuked... Immediately, his mind shot to his father, and his home. "Is Galveston alright?" he asked, some distress easy to detect in his voice and demeanour.

While drinking his beer, he did some thinking. Ultimately he decided to join the rest of the group. It would be a detour, but one that could help him get to Houston to see if the rumour about the Army outfit there was true. If it wasn't, he could make his way to Oklahoma via Dallas.

Finally he picked up his rifle by the barrel in one hand, and his pack in the other. He followed the others to the Bronco where he took a seat in the back, his pack at his feet and his barrel between his legs, pointing towards the roof.
CHARACTER LIST:

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

Major Fred Rivers

Fred looked to the Captain as he climbed in to the back and gave him a light thump on the shoulder.
"Hey, Captain. I get it. I'm not here by choice either." he said as he pointed to his eye patch.
"But you are here now, and from what I have seen the Military here is in a pretty sh*t state they wont mind you missing for a while. Hell I'm meant to be in the capital behind a desk trying to convince any general that will listen that you should go back to Europe, but I got told to jog on and now I am here." he sighed as he lit his cigar stub and blew a puff of smoke out the window.
"But, it looks like you made your mind up already dont it? So keep your sh*t together and you'll be reporting in a few days late. And if you happen to die on this little adventure, well, not really your problem anymore is it?" he said with a small nod as he reached in to his vest and pulled out a pack of Lucky Strikes. A pilot he had bumped in to had traided him single cigar for a whole pack, and though Fred didnt smoke them, well he didnt yet, he was sure they would come in handy.
"So, Enlighten me Corporal." he said trying to strike up a conversation, "You seam to be local, or at least have local knowledge of the area." he wasnt to sure on that fact he had overheard but haddnt listened. it would have easier to ask their driver but Fred was more interested in getting to know the woman he'd be working with in the front seat.
"What are the do's and donts of texas at the moment? apart from the basics our driver has explained."