Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Welcome To Texas - Character RP  (Read 845 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Re: Welcome To Texas - Character RP
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"I can try to have someone send word once we reach the ranch." Jeff offered, before finally the Bronco set off out of town.

"Fred, right? Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm not completely local. Firstly, I'm from Houston, which is the wrong direction a couple hundred miles. Second, I just got into town, I've spent the past several years fighting from the Golan Heights, into Syria, and then pulling ops in Iraq and Iran. I've pulled some Paras out of the thick, Rangers too, plus just about every other SpecOps team in the Middle East that isn't taking orders from the Soviets." Sarah explained casually.

"The Legion and the Nationalist Mexicans are probably the worst problems we have. The Loyalists will shoot you if you make trouble, but tend to leave people alone and focus on peacekeeping. They're losing control by the day, though. The commies, no telling what they're up to, both Mexican and Soviets. None of you look like you'll need to worry about the Hoggs, though." Jeff snorted.

"Excuse me?" Sarah asked.

"Jim Hogg Irregulars. They're from Jim Hogg County but all over the place. Bunch of white trash racists think they're doing the right thing by lynching anyone who even looks Mexican. Not sure how they like Jews...no offense, Corporal." Jeff said, snapping out of his disgust when he realized who was in the truck.

GM NOTE - Cate/Fred - Jim Hogg Irregulars are pretty much people who have blamed all of the current problems on Hispanics, be they American or not. As a result, they tend to be the bane of any Hispanics in the areas they control, but non-Hispanics will find them to be quite helpful. Rumor has it they keep trying to ally with the South Texas Grange with little effect.

"There's a reason why my fatigues are blank, Jeff. Arabs tend to not like us very much, easier if they mistake us for Americans or French." Sarah replied.

"Just mind who you deal with, don't go advertising yourselves unless you know who you're dealing with. Some folks don't want the Army around anymore, some folks are working with the Nationalists as informants, and you can't always tell who is Legion and who isn't these days." Jeff continued.

There aren't many vehicles on the road, noticeably, instead people are either walking, riding horses or even using horses to pull ad-hoc trailers made from vehicle parts. It's also plain to see that just about everyone is armed with at least a pistol of some kind or another, if not also some sort of long gun.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 251
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »

"Thanks I'd appreciate that." Cate told him as the truck began to move. She sat nervously from that moment on, fiddling around with the buttons on her vest much to her own annoyance. She had no reason to be feeling that way, it had become a natural instinct of hers whenever talk moved around to what was happening when it involved the different factions in this war.

"No one is Captain. Rivers is right on that." Cate commented on Porter's lament. "Hell I should be down in sunny Queensland soaking up the warmth or throwing out a line with my old man right now. But it is what it is and we all have to make the best of a crappy situation." She cradled the shotgun as if it were her last hold on reality, at the same time she knew she had to get rid of the damned thing as it had been a liability most recently. As good as it was up close, it was as useful as a preacher without a faith.

The chatter went from one end of the spectrum to the other, Cate was learning much about her enemies of the most recent past. "We had run ins with both. Somehow having great big bloody red crosses painted on our vehicles or on arm bands meant little to either group. If my guess is right, and I can only suppose it is. Hogg's group may have been responsible for the murder of some of the people I worked with recently. There were four of our people, yes they were Hispanic, who had been shot from range and it wasn't from the Mex side either. Then with that lot, they took offense to us needing to recover either dead or wounded from the field, I guess they figured we weren't there to help them." Even though in her time it didn't matter what side you were on, the recovery teams didn't discriminate.

"Point noted. I intend to stay us much under the radar as humanly possible."
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Justin

• Airman
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Justin A new starter.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 02:41:08 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas
Captain James Porter

"Right then," Porter said as he took one of the offered cigarettes. He rolled the window down before lighting it with a cheap disposable lighter that he'd bought in 2 packs of 20 before he shipped out to the middle east.

After listening to Jeff about the state of Texas, the Captain was a little dismayed. He had known something had gone on here, but had never realised the extent of it. "So from what you're saying, I take it it might be a good idea to find a change of clothes at some point" he said. His own uniform would give him up as a serviceman almost immediately.
CHARACTER LIST:
Major Jonathan "Jack" Gallagher, British Army | SG-1 probationary
Major Alexander "Alex" Callaghan, USMC | CO, TF Wolfpack
Lieutenant Commander Sam "Cowboy" Burgin, USN | WIP (off-site)
Captain James Porter | T2K Character RP

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 56
  • Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »

Port Lavaca, Texas

Major Fred Rivers

Fred shrugged at the Corporals comment that she wasn't a local. "More Local than me." He said as he looked to Porter and gave him a nod, acknowledging the fact he was a local boy, but he was defaulting to his platoon leader training, get people talking to each other about each other and about them selves and try to bond, even just a little.
"Not a big fan of the french myself, now Belgians, they are a good people, as long as they are the dutch belgians, and the best beer in the world, better than most the crap you have here, or anything in england." As Porter mentioned finding a change of uniform Fred shrugged.
"Just drop the jacket off. Or dirty it up a bit, you'll look like you've salvaged it." He puffed on his cigar and then added to everybody.
"I'll be as inconspicuous as a one eyed man can be. Also I cant do an accent to save my life, unless you want a really racist African or Chinese one." He took a moment to finally throw the spent stub of a cigar out the car window and took a deep breath, "Also. Whats the locals attitude to Commonwealth forces, I cant imagine we are a common sight over here?"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 03:22:31 PM »

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"My understanding is that outside of the Mid East, no one's a fan of the French. They just have enough troops in the area that they get into firefights with the Soviets now and then. The official statement is they're still sitting this war out." Sarah replied with a shrug.

GM Note: France refused to honor it's NATO commitments over the fact that the cause of the war was German reunification. In fact, many suggest they were why several NATO countries left the alliance, including Italy and Greece, except that France chose neutrality over open warfare with the rest of Western Europe.

"Well, fatigues aren't exactly a dead give away anymore, I'm just saying don't expect everyone to give you a ticker tape parade. And...Commonwealth?"

GM Note - Fred: You realize that was probably a redundant question to ask. Cate's an Aussie and probably the only other Commonwealth soldier from here to the Canadian border. Last word said that many troops with the BAOR were being withdrawn to the Home Isles, though certainly not all of them.

The truck continues its travels down the road, which leads to open country that sprawls on for miles, fenced off occasionally by simple barbed wire posts (likely still the original ones set rather than anything new). It seems like these views can go on for miles, the sprawling Texas landscape delivering the views it was famous for.

After what feels like an eternity of a drive, mainly because of the featureless landscape, the Bronco approaches an area cordoned off by red painted iron fence and then finally approaches a gate. The gate is guarded by two Chevy K1500 pickup trucks, the famous "square body" style of the pre-90s, fitted with M60s in the beds, plus 4 men on horseback, two armed with scoped lever-action rifles, and two armed with M16 rifles. No one opens the gate when the Bronco pulls up, but a man does hop out of one of the trucks and approach, holding a Mexican-made HM-3 submachine gun as he does.

"Bringing some folks to be hired by Bill. You guys hear anything else?" Jeff asked. The man looks inside before tipping his hat once and going to push open the gate. The truck starts going slowly down the dirt road as the gate is closed behind it.

"I'm sorry for that, but Bill's going to explain it all soon. Security had to get stepped up, hell we didn't even have those trucks before a couple of days ago. Word is we want to build up some guard towers too. But Bill doesn't want people thinkin' he's turned his ranch into a prison camp..." Jeff explains.

The ranch plot is quite huge, and you all see people doing some kind of work or another. Picking cotton is the main one, followed by patrols on horseback armed with either civilian or military rifles, but as you close on the house, it is almost like a small village has popped up around the main houses. And with it, some of the more necessary, if archaic, practices have popped up. There appears to be an honest to god blacksmiths, several people are tending to the large horse corral, others are tending to the alcohol stills (which explains the Bronco's fuel supply now). Further out, it's easy to make out what look like simple shack houses, and it's almost like the war threw Texas a hundred years into the past...

Jeff pulls the Bronco up to the main house, which is the center of this post-apocalypse village. He parks the vehicle and leads the way up to the house's large porch, where chairs have been set out. Interestingly, there's a large Texas state flag flying here, but no sign of an American one. As you make your way, you feel eyes on you, being strangers and all, but the general mood here suggests that people aren't being held here against their will or forced to work for Texas Bill. It's more the mood of people who banded together and are doing what has to be done, and while they're not whistling or singing while they work, they seem to know they're doing a hell of a lot better than most others these days.

"Wait here. Bill's on his way right now. I'll see about passing word along like you asked, Miss Cate." Jeff tips his hat once to you all and heads back the way you all came. Two trays are brought out by help from the house, one with tall glasses of lemonade and the other has sandwiches. Finally, you are all greeted by a man approaching you all with an obvious limp in his right leg, in nice but well worn clothes. He has a modern revolver worn in a holster on his belt, but keeps his hands away from it, so as to not spook you but it's becoming a common theme that everyone in Texas is armed these days. He doesn't seem to be in the least bit bothered by 4 strangers in military gear.

"Howdy, welcome. I'm Bill Kingsly, most folks call me Texas Bill around these parts, but you can just call me Bill. Please, make yourselves comfortable." He says pleasantly, sitting down and taking one of the glasses of lemonade.

"I have got to say, if Jeff's got this good of an eye for talent, I should've taken that offer to buy the Oilers and had him be my main scout." He chuckled, referring to the Houston Oilers NFL team.

"Well, let's take a second and get acquainted and then we'll get straight to it. I'm sure Jeff talked your ears off about me, and honestly, I don't like talkin' about myself at length. Makes me feel like I'm some kind of blowhard from Washington. So, tell me about yourselves, where you're from, what you did in the Army or wherever you came from. I know a bit from my days in the Army, so you don't gotta dumb it down too far." He says with a smile.

GM Note - You get a very honest impression from Bill by this point, he's trying to put you at ease but not take you off guard. Amicable, and he does not seem in the least bit intimidated talking to a group of strangers armed to the teeth.

"Ah...I'm Corporal Sarah Cohen, formerly Israeli Air Force but I was from Houston. My parents and I moved to Israel back when I was 15. I did my mandatory service in '81 for two years, and then was a paramedic in Tel Aviv and later Haifa. Got called up in '94 when the Syrians invaded, and I took a leap, joined the Air Force with Combat Search & Rescue. Spent 3 years fighting the Syrians until my crew was told to report to the 35th Airborne with US CENTCOM in Saudi Arabia. I'm here by choice, I'm basically AWOL because I wanted to find my family still in Houston. Jeff told me the Soviets nuked the city, so maybe they're gone. I can't go back, I'd face a firing squad for desertion, so I might as well do something productive here." Sarah explained.

"If it helps, I heard that most of that nuclear attack was focused on the refineries. Same with Corpus Christi, hell the Navy base there was barely scratched by that, the looters did more damage. But my hat's off to you, ma'am, some of the bravest men I knew in 'Nam were those MEDIVAC crews. I hope you find them in good health when you do. Lots of folks here find a way despite everything, they might be doin' just fine." Bill replied. He looked to the others to see who would respond next.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:18:06 AM by Cipherhornet18 »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »

Impressed or what? Cate was and she as an Aussie had seen some large properties in her time (though nothing on the planet could even get near one or two in her native homeland, as big as they say as the entire state of Texas); still this was big.

By the time they did eventually arrive at their destination, Cate's bum was as sore as if she had been riding for 24 hours straight and she needed to stay upright for a while to ease that pain. Stashing her weapons against a wall, she stood at ease as close but not too close to the 'man'. She thanked Jeff, gladly taking a glass of lemonade with several gulps going down in quick succession before she was able to speak without choking. "Cate MacGregor sir, I mean Bill. Wing Commander Royal Australian Air Force and like many ex pats I'm stranded here with no way to go home. But I'm not here grudgingly by all means. Back in 96 I was sent here as an exchange pilot serving with several US units as I learned my new craft in attack choppers. That all went crazy when the war broke out I became a fifth wheel so to speak; they couldn't find a way to legally send me overseas and soon enough I was left to my own devices. As things got worse I found my way south, initially to try and right some wrongs and it wasn't long before I became involved at the sharp end. A volunteer unit of former military medics needed someone who could drive and watch over them, I stuck my hand up. So until only yesterday I've been active helping to retrieve the dead and wounded across the border, my primary job was protection for them. So there you have it, a pilot with her wings clipped." She saw what else she could help in on her way in, that would come later. But having both a PhD in Physics and a BA in Chemical Engineering could be of great use to them. She wasn't about to tell him though of her brief foray into espionage. Not yet at least.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:46:37 PM by Mim »
Far Dareis Mai

Justin

• Airman
  • Justin A new starter.
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 04:52:08 AM »

Captain James Porter

The Captain just sat in the back, taking in the familiar sights outside. He had never realised how much he'd missed home until he had arrived in the sandbox. Now that he was home, though, he wanted nothing more than to go back.

Eventually they arrived at the ranch, and Porter got out. Not sensing any immediate danger to himself here he let his M16 dangle in front of him, pointed down.

Smiling, he took a glass of lemonade in his one hand, and a sandwich in the other while thanking the people that brought them out. He took his time eating the food, and by the time he was finished the ladies had already finished their introductions. He decided he'd go next.

"Captain James Porter, sir, 2nd Battalion 75th Rangers. Born in Galveston, and moved to Mount Vernon when I was 13. Studied Mechanical Engineering at Texas A&M. I joined the Army ROTC there. After I got my degree I got a commission in the Army, and eventually went to the 82nd before going to Ranger school and joining my current outfit. We got hit by artillery, and I got hit. They put me on a ship headed home before they realised I wasn't that bad." he said, explaining how he got here. If his explanation hadn't, his accent would have made it very evident that he was a Texas native.

Porter took a sip from his lemonade and continued. "Jeff here mentioned that there might be an Army presence up in Houston, so I'd really like to head up there as soon as possible to find out if they're true. If not, I figure Oklahoma will be my best shot."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:45:07 AM by Justin »
CHARACTER LIST:

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!Bowsy 112 is leading the good life!
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 12:21:51 PM »

Major Fred Rivers

Fred nodded as he listened to Jeff and realised his question wasn't worded to well. He was less concerned about how they viewed the militarys of the Commonwealth and more concerned with, if anybody would take issue with him being British He had heard from friends that had been to the states that Americans often liked to bring up the war of independence and things of that nature and if anything like that would cause issues. Though it didn't really matter, he may have a handicap, but he could still beat the crap out of people.

The house they approached was odd, like something out of a western, well of course it did, it probably was. He'd seen similar farm set ups before but there was an ascetic difference between farms and ranch that made one seam more impressive than the other. Though that may have been the lack of petrol for a tractor and cow and pig sh*t. Once out of the car he stretched a little and kept his M16 in a similar position to Porters. though had a hand resting loosly on the pistol grip, mostly to keep it in place, but also just in case. Fred looked to the lemonade and sandwich's, but choose not to partake. Though he smiled and nodded to the people holding the treys to be polite. He then turned to Bill and listened to the man. He then waited for the others to have their turn and when it was finally his turn to speak he shrugged.

"Major Fred Rivers. Special Boating Service." He shrugged, he felt no need to tell the man more unless he wanted to know it. Not that Fred was secretive, he just saw no point in giving a monologue about his life. Though he did add.
"I'm just here by Happy Coincidence." He gave a small smile.
"If you need more about me, fire away. I dont want to waste your time."

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"Well now, when I told Jeff to get some strangers, I didn't think he'd go this far. Good kid, he could've really gone places had the war not happened." Texas Bill commented with a smile and a sip of lemonade.

"I'm going to cut straight to it. I'm hiring you all for a job, and I'll make sure you're well covered for your services. It...well...it's personal." He looks away for a moment before back at the group.

"My son, Bill Bob, and daughter-in-law, Kathy Jean, were kidnapped right out of this house right here a couple nights ago. Someone let them in, and they'd have gotten away without notice had not one of the hands been makin' a midnight trip to the outhouse. Happened right as they were escapin', he got shot in the head, started a shootout with my guys and the kidnappers, but they were able to get out no problem."

"A contact I have in Victoria reported seeing the trucks they used there, but they must've scattered. I'll be honest, I've lost sleep over wondering who might've done this. Could've been the Legion, I've been wanting to put my boot up their local regimental commander ever since they moved into Victoria. Stupid bastard came here demanding all manner of things and I told him I'd let him leave this time but if he ever came within rifle shot of my ranch again, I'd shoot him where he stood."

"I don't think it was the Mexicans, at least the main guys. I tend to leave them boys alone, they leave us alone. We even trade now and then, I'm hopin' to get on their CO's good side, try to convince him to just pack up and leave. The rebels are further south and they'd have just shot the place up. Commies, dunno, they do whatever wild burr gets up their butts. But hell, there's more raider gangs up here than you can shake a stick at."

"The job's this; I'd like y'all to get on this, find Bill Bob and Kathy Jean. If they're alive, bring 'em home. If they're dead, then I'd be grateful if you would string up whoever did it by their neck from the nearest tree. We were gonna put together a search party, but I got to thinkin', if someone let them in, I'm not riskin' that same someone screwing up the works. Hence why I had Jeff find strangers, which from the sounds of it, none of y'all were even in the same county before today. So, the supplies for that search party will be turned over to you. A vehicle, weapons, ammo, supplies to get you started. More than enough for the four of you, and yours to do with as you wish to get the job done. You can probably use some of it to trade along the way, money don't go very far with some folks."

At this point, another man approaches the porch, a little older than Bill, but they share similar features. He has a customized 1911 at his belt, noticeably different because of the white grips, either bone, pearl or ivory, it's hard to tell at a glance.

"The hell you doin, Bill?" The man asks, not taking a seat and seemingly only glaring at the group before turning his gaze to Bill, who just smiles.

"These are the folks that Jeff found at Port Lavaca who are going to find Bill Bob and Kathy Jean." Bill replies, "This here's Sarah, Cate, James, and Fred. Folks, this is my brother TJ."

"How do we know they didn't do it? Jesus, Bill, you're too trusting. And they're probably dead and gone by now, it's been two days." TJ Kinglsy says with a scowl.

"Be kind of hard for them to do it, two of 'em weren't even in the States then, and the other two were further away than a stone's throw."

"You're a damned fool, Bill. And you people, you're fools if you go chasin' this. They're dead and that's that." TJ scoffs and walks away.

"My brother's a good guy, but he's not big on social graces. Anyways, as for rewards, we can work that out in detail once the job's done, but you'd be doing me one hell of a personal favor. I don't take that lightly. I've got a lot to offer, I'll see what I can do about helping you out in return. I won't take it personal if you don't want to stick your neck out, though. You'd be asking for a lot of trouble in this." Bill stands up.

"I'm in. Houston's a bit too far to be walking there, and I'm not at all keen on being on my own out here. Plus, anyone who has the cajones to come after you like that, well, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They've got big plans and I'm not liking the options that raises." Sarah said with a nod, standing up.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »

All Cate could do was shrug. She really had no where else to go and besides what Bill had just outlined for them was exactly what she had been doing for the last few months. Granted those she and her teams weren't looking for people who had been taken captive or hostage, yet the end game was still the same, search and rescue. "We'll get the back sir, oh and thank you for the compliment earlier, my father said much the same about the medics in Vietnam. My buddies are resilient and resourceful, I'm confident they'll survive." She moved away from the wall closer to the older man. "Is there anything left of a trail from where they took off? I've had to learn a few things since I've been here and tracking was one of them. While I'm not the best, I can figure out most things to fill in the gaps."
Far Dareis Mai

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »

Major Fred Rivers

Fred watched the new man have a pop at Bill and mention that the rest of them could have been the cause of their problems, he was about to speak up but Bill did first, so he shut up  gave a small shrug. "I'm in." He said as he took a moment to scratch at his eye socket, a little perturbed as his patch had shifted slightly and was slightly brushing against his eye brow hairs. "I'm pretty good at dealing with trouble. Wouldn't be the first time I kicked some teeth in." He then added with a small smile. "If it comes to that of course." he said as he stood straight and adjusted his M16 a little to hand a bit better. "You got any transport for us though? Preferiably something with an engine and wheels..." He added. "London dosnt exactly have a lot of horses..." That was sort of a lie, he knew several kids in school who rode horses. But they were the minority. "Plus, you cant mount a machine gun to a horse. Elephant yes. Horse No."

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 05:07:25 PM »

{Cpl. Sarah Cohen}

"Well, as I said, the last I heard was out in Victoria. That's about a couple hours northwest of here. I'd say start there. My contact's name is Vic, always wearing either a jacket or button up uniform shirt from Victoria County Sheriff's Office. Blonde hair, green eyes. Used to be a Sheriff's Deputy. Victoria, well, you best watch yourselves there. Friends of mine are trying to get something going there, led by Walt Grisham. Good guy but he's older than dirt. Legion's moved in there too, with the few Mexican Army troops left trying to keep the peace." Bill explains as he turns and leads the way to the main barn next to the house.

"Now don't you worry, we got you guys all set up. Like I said...wait, did you say a machine gun on an elephant?" Bill glances at Fred before a smile crosses his face, "Son, that there I'd pay real money to see. Maybe a few survived in the wild after escapin' the zoo..." He chuckles and continues.

"So, we were plannin' to equip a search party anyways, might as well let you use it. Consider it my down payment on your services." He leads the way into the barn, where an older Hispanic man is pouring fuel from a jerry can into a Humvee.

"Mister Mendoza, thank you. This here's the search party." Bill says. The man finishes and approaches the group, speaking in broken and heavily accented English.

"I wish you luck. Please find Miss Kathy and Mister Bill Bob. They are good people." He looks to Bill and asks him something in Spanish.

GM Note - Anyone who understands Spanish: "Senior Bill, I would very much like to go with them." "I'm sorry, Hernando, but I need you here." "Senior TJ says you do not trust anyone here. I promise you, I had nothing to do with it." "My brother misspoke, Hernando. I trust you and I know you would never hurt anyone here. You are a good man, but I need professionals. If the time comes, I will call upon you to ride with me."

The man nods and starts for the door, before looking at the group one more time.

"Please. Find them and bring them home." He implores before taking his leave.

"Hernando is a good man, but he's not cut out for this sort of thing. Kathy Jean was always real nice to him, before the war when he came into my employ, she got him set up with a home and taught him English. That girl's generosity knows no bounds, truly amazing." Bill shrugs and then rounds the Humvee to open the tailgate. Inside are all manner of supplies; camping goods, firearms, ammunition, boxes of mixed rations, and other supplies (See the post on Character Supplies). Interestingly, though, the exterior bears no US military markings, and Texas licence plates have been added to the front and rear bumpers.

"This all should get you guys plenty far. Now, a lot of folks out there don't take money anymore, ain't worth the paper it's printed on to them. You might have to do some trading with them. All the guns are good, they've seen some use but they're maintained. Even put a couple in there good for hunting, in case you'd rather some fresh meat instead of them rations. There are a couple of road maps in the glovebox, and the jerry cans on the outside are full up...." About this point, Jeff and TJ enter the barn. Jeff is now wearing a pistol belt with a revolver and has a bolt action hunting rifle slung over his shoulder.

"We're all set, Bill, but..." TJ cuts him off.

"But this is a damned fool's errand and you're not just giving away supplies to a bunch of strangers who are going to up and run off with them. And someone here has to do the thinking, and Jeff here isn't gonna cut it. I'm going with them." TJ says in a tone that doesn't leave much room for argument.

"Alright, settle down. Okay, Jeff, you ride shotgun with our friends here. TJ, you take a truck and someone with you, don't want you riding alone." Bill says.

"Fine. I'll get Will Coulton. As for you four, I'm in charge. Any one of you who gets any bright ideas, you better know I'll shoot you dead on the spot. As soon as we're geared up, we leave. That's fifteen minutes, so you better be by the gate then or I'm leaving without you. And you better be in my rear view mirror at all times." TJ turns and leaves without another word.

"Jeff, you'll be guide but if you have to, you are empowered to act in my name. You're a smart kid, and I know your parents would be real proud of you. These folks here are trained soldiers, they'll see you through any trouble." He addresses the group, "TJ and Jeff know the area, but they're not soldiers. When it comes to those situations, you guys are the ones who will make the call. I'm going to go fill TJ in on the plan, you guys get situated and once you're ready, head up to the gate."

"Good luck to you all, and godspeed." Bill turns and leaves the barn.

"Okay. So, who wants to be the driver, and who wants to be the gunner?" Sarah said after closing up the tailgate of the Humvee.

"I can drive if you want, but I'm just as fine with navigating. But I've never shot a machine gun like that before." Jeff replied, gesturing to the mounted M60.

"I can shoot and drive, but if anyone can do it better, go for it. I figure my job on this team will be medic." Sarah said with a shrug.

Justin

• Airman
  • Justin A new starter.
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 08:19:41 PM »

Captain James Porter

Porter listened intently to Bill explain the situation and the upcoming mission to them. He didn't really have any questions, and let himself be led to the waiting Humvee. He listened to the exchange in Spanish, which he was happy he could still understand. Growing up in Texas, and Spanish being one of the languages taught finally came in handy.

"I'll get on the gun" Porter said as he climbed into the cab. Inside, he slung his rifle on his back with the muzzle pointed down as he climbed in the gunner's seat. A moment later he appeared again, his torso and head sticking out of the gunner's hatch. "Let's get this show on the road, I suppose" he said.
CHARACTER LIST:

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2018, 11:35:11 AM »

Fred nodded about the elephant.
“Yeah it’s a real thing, there was this picture that dose the rounds every few years in the British Army, like a bunch of others, it’s a pre Great War soldier on the back of an elephant in India with one of those Potato digger Machine Guns. As they met the Spanish Machanic or Fred assumed he was actually Mexican, but he didn’t car to comment, he under stood some of the words but not any full sentences. But like before he didn’t feel it was his place to comment. Fred watched TJ and Jeff enter listened to them talk and sighed a little before TJ left. Then Bill left and looked to Jeff about to ask him a question before Sarah asked about positions in the Humvee. He glanced to Porter as the American climbed up to the gun, he had been about to suggest just that as he pulled out one of his cigars he nodded to the captain.
“Probably the best out of any of us to be up there. You probably have the most time behind it than anybody else. I’d rather have somebody with experience up there if something went wrong. Plus unlike the rest of them he had body armour, the rest had webbing, tactical vests and everything in between but no real armour.
“grab one of the SMG’s or Shotguns and hold it up there with you, something small you can whip out if things go sideways when little red riding hood shows up with a bad attitude and her own gun.” He then looked to Jeff.
“You want to navigate? Then I guess the Corporal can drive?” He had to assume she was more likely to have experience behind the wheel of a Humvee than either he or McGregor did. He didn’t know if her armed forces used the Humvee off the top of his head but he knew his and McGregors didn’t. Finally after that he looked back to Jeff.
“So... this number two your boss’s Brother is getting be trusted? Or is he a slightly dodgy dealer?”

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 12:40:59 AM »

"Hmmm, a bit of a dilemma for me really. Normally most of the bigger guns I operate are at the touch of a button on a control column and the biggest thing I've ever driven is my brother's Land Cruiser. So, it looks like cargo duty for me." Cate said blandly as she went through the stores picking out what she thought she might need. M16, M9 and ammo, vest,  water, rations, binoculars, personal radio, tent and whatever else she could think of that could be stuffed in the pack she chose. Other than the rifle and side are, which she loaded and placed both on safety, everything went in the pack and that she stored in back again with the rest of the gear. Cate put herself in back, center seat allowing the blokes to sit either side of her. As she was climbing in she said softly to Jeff. "TJ, what's eating him? I thought we were all on the same side?"
Far Dareis Mai
Pages: 1 [2] 3

lethal-pageant