Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MJ7-98U  (Read 501 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
MJ7-98U
« on: November 06, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »

With some quick checking in the Atlantis database, MJ7-98U was discovered to be one of the sites listed by the restored Doctor Elizabeth Weir, after she was restored from subspace into a FRAN body, back in 2008. A hidden human settlement that was technologically close to Earth, it was recently found by the Vanir and attacked.

A temperate world for the most part, the Stargate is in a dry riverbed near an industrial site and small village.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
Re: MJ7-98U
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »

The group stepped through the gate, where the MALP was waiting after it had been sent through. It almost looked like the gate itself was only recently unearthed in the dry riverbed. Michelle moved up a bit further than the rest, sweeping her MP7 around before lowering it.

"Looks clear, but this'd be a hell of a place to get into a shootout." Michelle commented.

"Yeah. Looks like the factory is up that way. Might be a drain pipe or something we can climb up, otherwise, we just have to hope there's a slope for us to climb up from this riverbed." Sheppard replied. "Let's go."

"Yes, hopefully. I'd rather not go climbing through some sewage pipe or pipe they pumped chemicals into this river..." Rodney commented.

"You don't know that." Ronon replied.

"And you don't know that it isn't that, okay?"

"What did I just say?" Sheppard asked, annoyed. "Look, let's just change the subject. Hanley, where are you from?"

"Me? Oh, okay. I'm from Las Vegas, Nevada. Good 'ol Sin City, as it were. I'm not a fan of it, though, growing up there removed the varnish that mot people see it as." Michelle replied. "I guess since I basically learned about all of you in orientation, it's only fair you can ask about me."

"Fair enough. Teyla, you want to start?" Sheppard asked as they made their way up the riverbed.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 275
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:56:22 PM »

After emerging through the gate Teyla shrugged off that old and all too familiar chilled feeling as if it didn't matter anymore. She was more than used to it after what seemed like a lifetime of gate travel. "A strange world isn't it?" She said aloud, echoing her thoughts.

Catching up to the team she walked through the riverbed, every now and then breathing in using her awareness to detect not only Wraith but smells that were out of place. She could detect age, and of course the smell of rotting vegetation but not much else. "I feel nothing, its as if these people just packed their things and left in a hurry. Look here." She bent to pick up a child's shoe. "They came down from there John, to your right a little ahead of us." Her brown slender finger pointed the way.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:49:46 PM by Mim »

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »

"I'll bet they used the Stargate, too. Probably knew it was here the whole time, must've buried it at some point." Michelle pointed out as they rounded the bend to see a gentle slope of sand and rock leading up to concrete, suggesting a boat launch perhaps.

"Clearly if they eluded Wraith this long. But Elizabeth's data said this place was technologically close to Earth's. Not seeing that quite yet." McKay commented.

"They're not going to advertise it in the bottom of a dried up riverbed." Sheppard commented as they headed up the slope. The factory site appeared to be fairly large, walled off with concrete walls topped with barbed wire, with metal gates for personal and vehicle entry. Power lines also ran up to and through it. That site was to the right, and a paved road ran from it to the launch they stood, and continued on to the village to their left.

The village had several structures, with a white church standing at the base of the hill the village sat on. Power lines also ran to the village as well.

"Call it like a Chernobyl/Pripyat set up?" Michelle commented.

"That's clearly not a nuclear power plant." Rodney replied.

"No, like the village is where the workers lived, probably." Michelle shook her head.

"Teyla, take Michelle and Rodney, check out the village. We're looking for examples of weapons, but anything that might help with the Vanir, that's also important. And if we have any leads on where these folks ended up fleeing to, that'd be good too." Sheppard said, "C'mon, Chewie." He started heading for the factory.

"Alright." Ronon said, "See you guys later." He set off after Sheppard.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »

She nodded understanding, it was nothing out of the ordinary for the team. "Be careful John, Ronon." Teyla said to them as they left.

After a moment or two, she hefted her gear with the G36 slung across her chest to lead her companions up out of the river bed and into the village. "I suppose tactically with me leading, Rodney you'd feel safer in the middle won't you. Michelle, you have good eyes so your expertise in the rear we'll do fine. Perhaps once we're in more open area we can spread out a little." As she led them onward Teyla took the opportunity to talk, albeit quietly. "I've heard talk of 'Los Vegas' many times. Some back at Atlantis call it the city of Gold, so I suppose from your description Michelle its more of a facade than anything else."

Starting up the slope Teyla noticed how muddy it was, with the angle quite steep. There were few solid footprints, more a slide as it were as if most of those coming this way had no other choice but to go with it. There were a lot of small hardy shrubs and low hanging branches, so pulling themselves up wasn't going to be too difficult. With a very low sigh she pushed the rifle under her arm to free up both hands, climbing the slope by grabbing a branch either side until she reached the top. She turned. "Climb with caution, it is very slippery."

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:07:04 PM »

They were now on the road to take them into the village, which now looked like it was a wreck.

"Yeah. I mean, it's fine if you're visiting as a tourist. Plenty to see and all that, but yeah, the people who stay throw their lives away gambling. Most of them, that is." Michelle commented.

"It's too noisy and bright for me. And there are faster ways to throw away thousands of dollars than rigged games." McKay added with a scoff.

"Plus, it's all only really concentrated on the Strip. You've got some other sights on Freemont too, but otherwise, it's same as usual. But there's more outside the city, like Lake Havasu or Mount Charleston." Michelle continued, "...looks like this place saw a bit of a riot...or fighting."

"They probably panicked when they had to evacuate." Rodney pointed out.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »

"It sounds a fascinating place, I am sure Ronon would love it." She did have a sense of humor, which was well known.

But focusing on their task, Teyla kept her eyes moving up, down, left to right, not missing a thing as they continued on. So far it had been a litter trail of useless objects, bits of clothing, the odd shoe and even discarded toys. That worried her some. Finally houses and cottages came into view. It would probably remind some from earth of middle America in the early fifties, clapboard homes with tiled roofs , some two story, some single. There was evidence of once neatly kept gardens, but they now were a mess. "I'd say they had to leave in a hurry, I cannot see nor detect anything that indicates anyone came to direct combat, there are no shell casings, nor are there any evidence of battle damage here at least. We could start checking some of the larger dwellings as they indicate a higher level of prestige within their society do you not think?" Her thought was the wealthier they were the more likely they were to have personal weapons.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:00:49 PM »

"Well, maybe I'll show him around." She flashed a grin before looking around. "Yeah. Anyone else see a body yet?"

"I...what kind of question is that?"

"Unless these people are perfectly disciplined, there should've been some casualties. And if the Vanir showed up, there should've been some...thing...ah." Michelle stopped as they rounded to see a tracked vehicle that was blown up, hidden around the first bend of the hill.

"I guess they did fight." Rodney said.

"So, okay then. I'll check around here, if you guys want to start with one of these buildings here." Michelle pointed, nearest to them were a church, a two story house, and a one story building that looked like a store or storage site.

"So yeah uh take your pick, Teyla." McKay said.

Michelle clambered up the remains of the vehicle, looking it over as she tried to flip open one of the hatches. It came open far too easy, and she saw why. It was badly scorched inside, like it had suffered an ammunition cookoff. The SEAL pulled her P226 and toggled on the tactical light, looking around inside with the high powered LED light.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »

Ronon and John approached the factory grounds, looking around with weapons drawn.

"Looks like it's a bit run down." Sheppard commented as he looked around. The grass seemed a bit overgrown, the paint looked too worn, and some of the windows were broken.

"Think the Vanir hit it before now?" Ronon asked.

"Nah, maybe it went out of buisness is all." Sheppard said with a shrug. He opened the door to the biggest building and saw it was abandoned. Abandoned and yet someone was here. His boots caused a few spent casings to skitter on the floor.

"Where are the bodies? They couldn't have evacuated everyone. We've evacuated enough planets, not everyone leaves. And if they were running from the Vanir, some would have stayed to fight." Ronon said. Sheppard stopped and looked at his friend.

"The Vanir are basically the Asgard...and their mission is to starve the Wraith, isn't it?" Sheppard said.

"Yeah. What's your point?" Ronon asked.

"Okay, so back in the day, the Asgard had a habit of beaming up the Goa'uld when they got out of line. What if...they're beaming up anyone, dead or alive, just to make doubly sure anywhere they go, the Wraith can't find a bite to eat anywhere." Sheppard explained.

"What are they doing with the people they beam up, then?" Ronon asked, looking a bit disturbed by the prospect, but also his own imagination.

"Well, it's not a trip to Disneyland, that's for sure. Maybe...I dunno, prisoners. Genetic material for their clones. Indoctrination into their clone army. Who knows." Sheppard speculated, looking around some more.

"Teyla, Sheppard. What's your status in the town?" Sheppard said over the radio.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 09:23:27 PM »

"Wait up Michelle, we should not split up, come on Rodney." She beckoned to him. Teyla and Rodney both had been caught out far too often to be foolish, she followed the other woman to the strange machine the likes of which she had never seen. At least not in this galaxy. She did make a mental note of the buildings that were pointed out so that perhaps they could double back later. In that same vicinity she saw conventional civilian looking motor vehicles not too much unlike those she had seen on Earth; though decades older in technology by the looks of them and the design was rather strange looking to her eyes knowing the conventional appearance of those cars from John and Rodney's world, these were very different. The overall look was teardrop shaped with she assumed the driver's position in front center, the passengers behind. Looking closely as they passed by a wrecked one showed the engine or what passed for one was in back yet they still were mounted on four wheels.

Teyla stopped by next to the body of the large machine Michelle was inspecting when John called. "John we've searched one house so far, it was a mess but not from battle, more as you would expect to see from people fleeing. It makes me wonder if they had some advanced notice does it not. Right now we're looking at some strange military vehicle that Michelle has taken interest in and we've seen what you would call motor cars here in this area. Wait a minute..." She looked over and beyond the 'tank' seeing what was to her eyes one of the much larger land vehicles she had seen on Earth used to transport cargo and materials; she thought it was called a truck and it was about as intact as you could get. "...John if you've not found much you should see this." She held her hand off the transmit button for a moment. "Rodney that thing, do you think it is working?" She pointed to her find about 50 meters beyond Michelle's tank, it was in that typical army like green color.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

While Michelle inspected the tank, Rodney stayed close to Teyla, looking at the vehicles.

"Sheppard, there are no bodies here at all. That makes no sense. What if the Wraith culled this place?" McKay asked, "I mean, we only have Rhiase and Todd's word that this place was evacuated because of the Vanir."

"Cook-off. But there's not any remains I can see in this thing. Not even a skeleton." Michelle said as she dropped off the vehicle. The hull was basic and angular at the front, reminding her of a BMP-type infantry track, though the nose was more pike style like an IS-3 heavy tank, but the turret, that looked more like a smaller version of a Panther tank's, and the gun was about the right dimension to be an autocannon.

"Okay, I know I was showing off, I get it. Can you please just stop with the lingo?" McKay protested.

"Cook-off in this term means the ammo was set off inside. Like the old footage from the Gulf War where you see like a fountain of fire or the turret blow off of those Iraqi T-55s and T-72s. Basic physics and chemistry, Doctor, you have that much explosive material in a confined space, it's not going to be pretty when it's blown up. As to what did it, not sure, but the Wraith are not a likely possibility." Michelle replied.

"Whatever." McKay said and looked at the vehicle, "I don't even know if it's an internal combustion engine, much less what it uses for fuel. So I have no idea if it works. Besides, what difference does it make? We're looking for a gun, not a truck."

"Fair point, Doc." Michelle looked around for a moment, "Something about this doesn't feel right. I'm going to get to an overwatch position, you guys keep looking."

"She just said don't split up. Teyla, tell her." Rodney said.

"I know, and I agree, but this doesn't feel right. Besides, I can help spot things for you guys and keep an eye on the gate. If the Wraith were somehow behind this, might help to not be caught in the open." Michelle replied, already heading for the white church building.

McKay shook his head and then stepped around to the back of the vehicle. Again, there were no bodies, but he saw there were suitcases, backpacks, bags, and piles of personal items.

"Teyla. Look. There were people in this, there had to be. I don't understand, what happened to all of them? They wouldn't have just left their stuff behind. Every time we evacuated a planet, people are running with a ton of stuff in their arms." McKay said.

As Michelle approached the church, she reached into her tactical vest and pulled the suppressor for her MP7 free, screwing it into place before she entered. Slowly and deliberately, the SEAL made her way through, finding personal effects scattered all around, as well as metal ammo cases, wooden army green boxes, and a few weapons were scattered around on the floor.

"Got some weapons in here in the church. Maybe it was a rally point? I'll get set up on overwatch first, we can check them over later." Michelle reported as she made her way to the back of the church. There was a simple staircase that went up part way, and then a ladder that took her into the belltower itself. The view was good, both mostly of the riverbed and the village, but she couldn't see the approach they used, blocked by terrain and trees, and the factory was obstructed by its walls and trees.

Pulling off her boonie hat, she dropped to a knee and removed her Mk. 13 from its rifle case, laying the rifle on top as she then removed the shemagah from around her neck and tied it over her head to keep her hair in place. She then pulled out her binoculars and centered her view on Rodney and Teyla on the road below.

"I see you guys. Looks good from here, but better safe then sorry. My Spidey Senses were bugging me about this situation." Michelle said over the radio.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

"I hear you, Teyla. And no, Rodney, they're not that stupid. This wasn't a Wraith culling." Sheppard said as Ronon gestured to a set of metal stairs leading up to the catwalks above the factory floor.

"You sure about that?" Ronon asked. Sheppard replied with a "Really?" facial expression. Ronon chuckled at that and continued up with Sheppard behind him.

"We're checking out this place real quick. Looks like it might've gone bust way before this all happened, might just fall back to you in a few though. Feels like I should get a tetanus shot just looking at this place..." Sheppard commented to Teyla on the radio before they approached the offices. One of them was still lit, and it looked to Sheppard like it was a command post. But chairs were flipped over, papers were torn, and there were spent casings and a couple weapons laying on the floor.

"Check it out. Maps, radios. What do you think?" Ronon asked.

"Everything in here looks army green, so I'd say maybe it was their CP. Might've been where they coordinated the evac. Looks like they left it in a hurry though." Sheppard said, picking up the pistol first to examine it.

He looked at it for a moment before setting it down and then picked up another one of the weapons, which might have been an SMG by the looks of it.

That too he set down, while Ronon looked over the maps and notes. Sheppard joined him.

"I don't see anything about a gate address or where they might have gone." Ronon commented.

"Me either. Might've moved locations though. Looks like maybe their position was exposed." Sheppard said. "Teyla. Looks like we found their command post, or one of them. Found a couple weapons but still no bodies. I think they changed positions, so we're going to keep looking around here." Sheppard reported.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »

Sighing in resignation Teyla let Michelle go, knowing that in reality it was a wise move in any case. They were far too exposed here and to be frank she would feel much better if the could get to cover sooner rather than later. "Take care up there Michelle and see if you can find anything we cannot see such as craters and the like that might have indicated a Wraith sourced attack. We cannot detect that so far from ground level." The radio was crackling slightly as if some residue energy field was in play.

Teyla then looked in the back of the truck with Rodney, it certainly felt eerie to her. "We saw mass evacuations during the wars with the Asurans but nothing on this level. I am going to guess rightly or wrongly that they had advanced warning but from who and at some point they ran out of time, leaving with what they could carry. It just feels so wrong to me Rodney, so very wrong." She tapped her chin. "Oh, I thought since this was a very military looking vehicle there might have been maps or something in it we could use and perhaps use the thing ourselves to cover greater distances." All the while the hairs on her back were on end, she couldn't sense any Wraith as yet, though the feeling was over powering. She tapped her radio again. "John, how far away do you think we might be from that industrial area Todd spoke of? We've found no bodies in this area either." She doubled clicked to include Michelle. "Michelle can you see any substantial factory buildings from there?" More static.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 11:07:09 PM »

"I mean, it's not unusual for military vehicles to be used to move people in emergencies. Not everyone has a truck like this, obviously. But yeah, how would they know the Vanir or Wraith were coming from them. I know Elizabeth cited this as one of the more advanced societies that she and the other Replicators tried to reside in but to no luck. So far, this looks to me like 1980s Eastern Europe..." Rodney commented. "No wonder they didn't stay here, this place is a dump."

"I think we're standing in it. Todd must've not done much recon, but I mean, we're just here for a couple guns, no big deal." Sheppard replied as he and Ronon were headed for the factory floor. They were about to go to the opposite building when Sheppard nearly tripped on something. When he turned around, it was a trap door built into the floor.

"Gimme a hand here?" Sheppard said.

"Sure." Ronon replied. The two of them lifted the heavy metal door up to reveal a metal stairwell down further under the place. It was all reinforced steel and concrete, like a bomb shelter. Sheppard handed over a flashlight to Ronon before toggling on his P90's tactical light, and the two of them started down below.

Michelle was sweeping her small but powerful binoculars around when she heard a noise from behind. It took a moment to register before she realized what she was hearing.

"Oh crap." She muttered and moved to get eyes on the riverbed and the gate. By the time she did, the last chevron was locked and the FWOOSH was billowing out. After a moment, she saw figures stepping out. A lot of figures. And...

"Double crap." She went to her radio, "Gambler here. I've got Wraith coming through the gate. A lot of them."[/i] Michelle said.

"What? Wraith, here? I thought this was the Vanir..." Rodney protested.

Down under the factory, Sheppard and Ronon found that the drainpipe the saw on the way in was directly connected to the bomb shelter like an escape tunnel. It was grated off, but it did give them a clear view of the Wraith that were gating in without being seen. Sheppard took his binoculars out.

"I don't think it's Todd's people." Sheppard commented.

"How do you know? They all look the same to me." Ronon replied.

"I just know, okay?"

"Alright, but you're the one who has to explain it to him if you're wrong." Ronon sounded a bit too amused by the situation.

"I see two commanders and over two dozen grunts. I've got shots now, but if they get to the approach, it'll be dicey." Michelle reported.

"Yeah, I see 'em. The drain pipe is an escape tunnel into a bomb shelter under the factory. But that's at least thirty guys between us and the gate. Alright. Teyla, you and Rodney regroup with Hanley. She said there were weapons in the Church. Ronon and I will check around here. Michelle, buy us some time, pin them down." Sheppard said, turning to head back the way he and Ronon came.

"He can't be serious? Are we really going to just try to blast our way out of this?" Rodney asked as he started for the church.

"Roger." Michelle said, already setting up her rifle and racking the first round into the chamber.

She flipped the folding bipod legs down into place, propping it up against the ledge facing the riverbed, and cradled the back of the rifle with her off-arm. Peering through the Leopuld scope, she found one of the two Wraith commanders, easy to tell with their attire, barking orders at the Grunts. She then aligned the crosshairs to line up with his head, carefully following his movements, since sometimes all it took was for a target to turn suddenly to blow a shot.

Her trigger finger slipped into the guard and onto the trigger itself, resting against it. Deciding she liked the shot, Michelle started to pull back on the trigger while exhaling. When it hit the break weight, there was a sharp crack from the rifle, and the Wraith commander collapsed as the .300 Winchester Magnum round made its journey through his head. She reached up and worked the bolt, before firing again on a Grunt. And again on another.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 09:05:32 PM »

Somewhere around five minutes or so after the Wraith came through the gate burst into life again, followed by a transmission that will be heard over each team members radio.

"Colonel Sheppard, this is Atlantis. We have been alerted by the Dreadnought with her long range scanners which we have confirmed. Contact of what appears to be 12 Vanir ships that may be headed our way...somewhere between 15 and 12 hours away. Our main concern is for the Athosians and now the newly arrived Tamorans. The city cannot accommodate all of them, or even a small part of them sir, if the threat became imminent."
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

The instant the first Wraith came through Teyla felt it like cold water had been thrown over her. That was an instant before the jumble of radio calls came. "Teyla copy." She whispered knowing the Wraith could sense her as much as she could sense them, though it would certainly be confusing for them. She caught Rodney by the shoulder twisting him around before he walked straight into the line of site. "That way Rodney." Teyla pointed to a few wrecked vehicles and other debris that could give them cover to the church some 100 meters south and very slightly east of them. The Wraith were as yet beyond visual sight being down in lower terrain for the moment; that was soon to change as the undulating land even in that  short distance gave way to fifteen meters away from the church as they hit flat open land. Teyla glanced to her left to catch the heads of the first Wraith just after the shots from the tower rang out once, twice, she knew after that Hanley's position would given up.

Choices: Stand and fight with the chance of losing Rodney, or run for whatever cover there was and set up a barrier between Michelle and the Wraith. Teyla chose the second seeing a large tree where two boles went in a vee shape about chest height from the ground; a perfect position for another shooter. She guided Rodney there then crouched out of sight. "I want you to go up into the tower, quietly and tell Michelle where I am, let her know by radio when you're on the stairs so she doesn't shoot you. Now go, yes I know I'm countermanding my earlier order we're close enough." Teyla slipped into position lifting her rifle up to the crotch of the V, a perfect position for the first Wraith that came out of the ditch. It was then  as she was about to call John the radio went off in her ear distorted slightly by the gurgle of the event horizon. She froze when Amelia mentioned her people, yes there were far too many of them now to send to the city. "John you had better reply first and fast. I believe we may have drawn those Wraith to us here near the Church."

Pages: [1] 2

lethal-pageant