Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Determination of standard SG uniforms and weapons part 2-weapons  (Read 414 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 312
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook

As with the previous post this thread will be to help us all determine a military standard weapons stores for all teams and individuals. From the outset in the past it has been rather ad hoc with some players (including myself) believing we could carry almost anything we like. The reality is we can't. We have to consider many factors in this:

1/ The ability of our various armories to carry stock (volume)
2/ interchangeability of  magazines across various assault rifles
3/ Common ammunition
4/ Variables in weapons maintainance, ie: skill levels required above and beyond a base armorers ability to take care of non standard weapons
5/ Setting the actual numbers of varieties of weapons

With the above in mind it isn't unlimited, we simply need to keep ourselves in check and stop believing our SGC or Alpha Site (even more so Atlantis) armories can carry 25 varieties of side arms, plus spares and the different types of ammunition, as an example.

To start the thread we will cover it section by section. The first discussion will be side arms.

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 111
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Re: Determination of standard SG uniforms and weapons part 2-weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:16:19 AM »

When it comes to sidearms, there's good news and bad news:

The good news is that pretty much everyone involved with the Program is using something chambered in 9x19mm as either standard or as an option. So ammunition isn't a huge problem. Furthermore, there are really only a handful of models to consider;

Beretta 92FS
SIG Sauer P226/P228
Glock 17/19/26/etc.
H&K USP/P8

Even Russia and China have 9x19mm handguns in circulation, if not standard issue than at least on hand.

But the bad news is that there are more calibers to consider, particularly because 9x19mm has shown to not exactly been 100% reliable off-world for dealing with armored enemies and such.

The easy part is to start including the FN Five-Seven, the pistol counterpart of the P90. Though there wouldn't be huge numbers of them on hand. The benefit of things being in the United States does mean that .45 ACP would be available.

Beretta M9 - 9x19mm
SIG Sauer P226/P228 - 9x19mm
M1911A1 Series- .45 ACP
H&K USP Tactical - .45 ACP
FNH Five-Seven - 5.7x28mm

This is the preliminary list I drew up. Now, there's the obvious clause where personnel can get their own pistols, but they are also responsible for them as well.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 04:52:31 PM »

I think that list is quite good and covers most of what we need. I'm going to turn in Cate's tank busting pistols as they are really just so OTT  :fp She has no need for a .44 magnum hand gun  :lol
'Cate they're damn good for bringing down a buffalo, but really impractical otherwise'
She had been using a pair of IMI XIX Desert Eagles.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »

Giving this a kick up. Been playing Delta Force 2 Land Warrior. Graphics are crap, but the game is so cool. So, some of the weapons they have.

Heckler & Koch Mk 23 Mod 0

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:35:37 PM »

The USP Tactical replaced the Mk. 23 because it really is absolutely massive when compared to other .45 handguns, and there was really no reason for it.

I'm also going to curb this now about the Desert Eagle, I see it coming a mile away and it's the age old discussion. It is massive, the recoil isn't actually that bad because of the rifle gas operating system it uses, it uses magnum caliber rounds that have tons of stopping power, it was designed in the 70s and 80s so it is out of date, it can be used for longer range uses with the addition of scopes, and it has no military clients because they don't want it. Done.

Sidearms have some leeway because it's not uncommon for people to get their own to suit their needs, but they are ultimately responsible for them. Going forward, however, I'm going to throw down that there are rules to non-standard weapons that require approval before you go about using one.

1 - Any weapon that requires it to be assembled by hand, regardless of if by the Armory Team or third party source. (Example: The Carter Special, eventhough it is an AR-platform rifle, it was built from the ground up)
2 - Any weapon that requires it to be special ordered, either to be built or to rebuild an existing weapon (Example: Sending off a Glock pistol or AR rifle to Sailent Arms to undergo upgrades per their Tier One line.)
3 - Any weapon that is in service with a country that has not been previously cleared into the Stargate Program within an IC year of the request date (Example: Requesting an Ultimax 100 Mk. 5, which is from Singapore, who are not cleared into the Program)
4 - Any weapon that has a limited serial run or only existed in a prototype phase. REQUESTS IN THIS LINE WILL REQUIRE THE PLAYER TO ANSWER TO WHY THEY WANT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. (Example: Requesting a G11, which never went into production and is extremely unlikely that the SGC will be able to sneak an order to H&K to build any, much less the ammunition. Alternatively, requesting an SR-47, which had a run of less than 1000.)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »

Next up is SMGs and PDWs. This is also pretty easy, since these all appeared in the show, they're all extremely common in any arsenal, and I seriously don't see where this list can be expanded without good cause.

H&K MP5 Series - 9x19mm
FNH P90 - 5.7x28mm
H&K MP7A1 - 4.6x30mm
H&K UMP - .45 ACP

Now, when I say "MP5 Series", this intended as a catch-all. There are so many variants in circulation that I'm not going to list all of them for this list. But I want to specifically point out that the MP-5/10 and MP-5/40 are not options, as both were limited runs for the US FBI and both were retired. 10mm fell out of favor and is only now seeing a resurgence, and .40 S&W is really only popular in US Law Enforcement, it hasn't seen use as a military caliber. This is also why I specifically pointed out the UMP in .45 ACP, not the UMP-9 or UMP-40. The former is completely pointless when we have mountains of MP5s in every flavor and I already explained why the latter isn't included.

There really aren't any other SMGs that I see being included. I'm going off the "American" description for SMG, so anything chambered in an assault rifle caliber, like the AKSU-74, is not included in this. Any discussion of those should be held onto until we get into assault rifles and carbines, only weapons chambered in pistol caliber rounds should be brought up at this point.

lethal-pageant