Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: A question of beaming  (Read 244 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 312
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
A question of beaming
« on: January 13, 2019, 11:04:59 PM »

I've been musing on this for some time. In both shows in 99% of the time we saw beaming that occurred from ship to planet essentially we could say vertically. But there were instances as we know whereby Thor beamed items around the ship from and to various locations. So my question is this: is beaming over longer distances restricted to vertical (or even at an angle slightly from orbit) or do you think if you know the coordinates of your target location you could beam in any direction?

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • DanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has Ascended
  • Before building something great, you destroy it
Re: A question of beaming
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »

I would think if I knew the picture of where I'm going, I'd rather know visually the correct place I will beam to from a long distance that I will remain intact. If I didnt know the place or cant visualize it, then I might materialize somewhere in the middle of a tree or halfway through a wall. As a certain mutant called Nightcrawler once stated that he needed to be able to know the place he's going in order to not teleport in the middle of an unfamiliar place.

buuuuut, we're talking Stargate here, soooooo yeah. I suppose if you know the coordinates of your target location, you could beam in direction? Because, stargate physics? Wonder what Carter would say at this point...  :sam10  :sam37
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bluebell722 hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:40:27 AM »

I'm thinking beaming tech in general can go anywhere. The transporters on Atlantis are basically Ancient beaming tech, right? Pretty sure those aren't restricted to vertical transfers.

Transport rings seem to always be vertical.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 312
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:21 AM »

To both above :D

I think you're right there. If you can target a coordinate, I don't think it matters where or at what angle you're sending something or someone. The Atlantis transporters are an excellent example.  :yes:

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Bowsy 112

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Bowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has AscendedBowsy 112 Has Ascended
  • If the Day does not require an AK then it is Good.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:51:37 AM »

I think you can beam anywhere, We have seen them Beam from ship to ship and though not maybe side to side, they are far from stacked on top of one another, plus as far as rings go. It could be the same deal. We've never seen anything to say it has to be vertical, its just always been seen that way. Also in theory, there is no up in space. So in reality ships would be at all sorts of angles. (Sure they can orientate themselves based on each other, but that a lot of effort. of course you can say they orientated themselves on the show, or you can just say that the producers felt that having the Daedalus and Apollo next to each other with one of them upside down looked dumb.) So in realistic terms vertical transportation as the only option seams silly.

As seen on Thor's ship he has a certain catchment area. and I guess you could say that some places are out side it, for what ever reason but in realistic terms apart from with in say 10 meters of a ships Hull anything should be in the catchment area.

I would say that Atlantis Transporters and Rings are different as unlike Asgard Beaming they have to lock on to something. Not that all ideas about them dont apply to asgard beaming, just saying that they may be different, I would assume that the four race alliance shared tech up to a point and that when the ancients died the transporters may have been the pinical of beaming technology maybe needing a known point A and B to beam too and from. But after the Ancients died the Asgards could have improved on the shared technology to make the Beaming we say them use on the show. And if you want to get picky, Transport Rings, which may be a Goa'uld design (Not sure as we have seen the Ori use them so they could be more stolen Ancient design.) But if the Rings arnt a Goa'uld design it could indicate that like the Milky Way gate being analogue to Pegusus Digital style gate the Atlantis Transporters and Milky Way rings could be the same and Asgard Beaming could just be a next generation of that.

Its all just theory that they are all related some how. Or they could be 3 distinctly different technologies.

Anyway yes Beaming in theory should be usable in any direction as long as you have the co-ordinates and I guess can make sure you wont beam in to a wall, though on Asgard stuff I would assume that would be a safeguard subroutine somewhere.

DeDarkstar

• Stargate Content Moderator
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • DeDarkstar A new starter.
  • "All check. Phasers?"
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 06:14:51 AM »

in my opinion beaming needs a dozens of calculations. you need the right coordinates as well as enaugh power so beaming has its limits and is not just "pushing and tranporting".

first of all Acients amd Asgard tech is NOT THE SAME!.

All beaming tranportation devices maybe work the same way anyway there are all have other limitations for example : the Transport Elevators on Atlantis working more like Point to point transport and the volume of transported objects are limited to a small room.

the Rings are a primitiv for of beaming cause it uses a constand energy beam to fix the location of a target. the rinfs itself are a kind of stargate their transfering the objects inside the rings into data recorders and release them at the target point.

the two things i have explained above have a good advantage - less energy because of the restricted volume and analog inputs of the target.

asgard beamers for example are more complex there need more information about the target destination then the other beaming devices that means you need more sensors and scanners to even use this beaming device. also the Range of Asgard beamers depends on the used Energy source. if the destination is more far away you will need more power for the beam the same for the volume of the beam itsself (how many objects)

another thing is that you also need information of the transportong objects too (volume, mass, and so on). tgis is a big disadvantage of this kind of beaming because you need more experienced personal as well as a high amount of powers and external devices to even use this beam.

*was written via smartphone sry for misunderstandings xD

Keep calm and let Carter figure it out !