Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SGC Level 28 Gate Room  (Read 385 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
SGC Level 28 Gate Room
« on: March 05, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »

SG-18 wasn't going solo today. Since the heightened activity of the last few months, some of the teams had taken leave, one of those was SG-4, all accept Cate. This little mission had a special significance to her, 18 was visiting a planet where she had been captured by Ba'al some four years ago. Now deemed safe, a team was being sent to scout for a potential new off world site and Cate was tagging along in her own time as a guide.

Sam Carter was filling in for the Admiral today, and as both he and Jack were attending the same meeting at the Pentagon, she was the next most senior member of the SGC staff. She had a few words to add before SG-18 and Cate moved out.

"Remember, this is exploration only Cate. You are not and I repeat not to engage if hostiles are encountered, you and the team will return immediately. Is that clear?" She couldn't possibly make it any clearer.

Dressed in her team's black BDU's, which made her stand out from 18's cams, Cate gave Sam a perfect Colgate grin. "As clear as a bell Colonel. Besides the MALP has shown it much to be as it was four years ago, without Ba'al's Hatak. We won't be doing much else other than poking around will we boys and girls?"

"Orders are orders Commander. Colonel." James tapped his cap, turned about 180 degrees to walk up the ramp. "SG-18 move out!" One after the other they stepped through the event horizon with Kayla and Ruffles last.

"I'll see you soon Sam." Cate said once the other's were gone.

"Take care Cate, some vacation huh?"

"Wouldn't have it any other way." Then she to disappeared through the gate.

>>To P6Y-77H>>
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:30:57 PM by Mim »

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
Re: SGC Level 28 Gate Room
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 12:30:36 AM »

There was on small issue in coming home, with all the ups and downs the team's IDC pads were left on Ba'al's ship and with that having gone up in a ball of fire (hopefully), there was nothing for them to be able to contact home once they had dialed in; they didn't even have a radio to send a message. That was until they reached their last planet on a random selection, again uninhabited, but young Kylee came up with a brilliant idea albeit as primitive as a Neanderthal can get. They started by throwing a series of light and heavy stones to replicate the sound of morse code banging on the Iris, basically it was SOS SG-18. After a few attempts Sam allowed Walter to shut the gate down, which it did finally, she then dialed back to the returning address and sent a radio through. When all that was done, the team dialed back in again and after a few pertinent questions that only they knew the answer to, Walter opened the Iris so the team could finally come home.

Now there then was the fun part one, part two was when Cate introduced Kylee. Sam stood there mouth open.

"Not quite the story I was expecting Cate, not at all." She had dismissed the rest of the team to go clean up and rest before a full debriefing, keeping Cate and now Kylee 2 with her. "So young lady, I think we should sit down and have a one on one, after you clean up and change. In the meantime I'll go fetch our own version of you. We'll meet in my office in say 30 minutes. Cate can you get her fixed up, I'd say by what she's wearing now and what you're wearing did you two do some kind of swap along the way?"

Shaking her head Cate answered grinning.  "It's a long story Sam, I'll tell you later."

« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 12:37:31 AM by Mim »

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • Impiousimp Thumb turning green.Impiousimp Thumb turning green.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:18:37 AM »

<<Sam's Office--30 minutes later.>>

Washed and clothed in a new set of BDUS, and a pair of sneakers, her hair brushed back and drying against her head, she felt she looked a fair bit out of her element considering nothing looked familiar.  What she really felt though was tense, a bit of anxiety, mostly from the memory loss, anger from the fact that it has basically crippled her intellectually even though she knew well she didn't lose any of her semantic or procedural memory.  She had knowledge, she just lacked context, and people.   She really just felt alone.

She had been mostly quiet when she was introduced to Colonel Carter, offering a polite, but drained smile and promptly letting Cate drag her off to the showers.   She didn't even have a retort for the clothing swap remark, although it was really tragic she lost all of her gear.

When the woman who was supposed to be her double entered the room she rose to her feet, eyes wide with surprise.  "Whoa.  You weren't kidding." Mildly disconcerting confirmation, was what she stopped herself from saying.

Lt Harwood's attention snapped back to Sam Carter for an answer.  She had given her a brief on what was going on, but nothing really prepares you for actually experiencing it in person.   There was a certain wrongness to it, the fact that it was her own face on another person.   You really couldn't do much but stare for a moment, before the questions game.

"How?  I... I mean."   She paused to look at the Colonel.  "Colonel, obviously astrophysics isn't my area of expertise  and I can appreciate the M theory as much as the next, but how?  And isn't this dangerous?  I was under the impression two people from different timelines couldn't exist in the same place." And granted, space time hasn't folded in on itself..yet.   She turned her gaze back to her double.

"I'm not sure, I would think if anything was going to happen it would have already.  I've been here a while.  As for  how I don't really know.   I have a bit of a memory hole right now." Ky said as he studied her duplicate, trying to pick out differences, seeing none physical.  Same hair, same eyes, same scar on her ear from the time she hooked a earring on her backpack and had to get stitches.  Never wore earrings again after that, odd that she remembered such trivial details but not more important ones like whether or not she was a lieutenant herself.    She wasn't sure, not really sure of anything aside from the unease she felt seeing herself staring back at her.   She swallowed and shook her head.  "It's okay.  I mean, barring a miracle, or the collapse of reality, I'm stuck here for now.  We can sort ourselves out later, and.."  She smiled a little.  "C'mon we'd have to really have some self loathing if we couldn't figure out how to get along, right?"

"Right.   Probably." She said curtly, turning to look at Sam, looking for a bit of support.  She was the professional with the years of timey wimey experience here.   Either a quick dismissal or some reassurance would be very much welcomed in this moment.  Or, well, both.   She really wasn't sure what help she could be here.   But then--"Memory hole?"

"I can't remember anything pertinant or useful aside from who and what I am.  I don't know how I got here, what happened to me before any of this.   Somethings are popping up, like that scar on your ear and mine.  I know where that's from."
  She replied, slipping into one of the seats, resting her chin in her hand.  "Nothing useful other than a few glimpses of a guy who reminded of Ba'al.  Even then I'm not sure if he matches my memory or if I'm filling in the gaps with what I've seen here."
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:20:49 AM by Impiousimp »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »

<Sam's office>

After some time in the discussion Sam had a number of things rattling around in her head and while getting to the bottom of it all was going to be one of those cases whereby she may have to call in several brainiacs to help work on the why's, how's and therefores; for the time being she decided to keep it low key. Other than the fact that both Cate and SG-18 were already in the loop. "Keeping the wow factor down a little I've been thinking on one problem you both have touched on, entropic cascade failure and why it isn't happening and why I don't think it will. There are several theories on this, but I'll break it down into two primary cases I think fits." Of course Sam knew all about this, it was history for her. "Many years ago we had an incident here where a connection was made with a device we later destroyed, it was yet another ancient creation that never should have been recovered, a Quantum mirror to be exact. Honestly sometimes I felt the Ancients left these things laying around for the mischief value. Anyway...." She carried on. "...what Bill Lee and I discovered was that we theorised that had we been able to shut the Quantum mirror down, a bleed in effect from the other Sam's universe would have ceased to exist and that is what causes the failure. Its like two entities in the same atomic matrix fighting against one another. At a later point during another episode we encountered without the Quantum mirror, this never occurred and we had up to twenty or so twins of several of us here all at the same time." Naturally without a quantum mirror they couldn't test it, but he computer modeling did confirm it.

Going on further it was the memory aspect that was perhaps even more disturbing and Sam thought she knew how to deal with that. "I'm going to call in a friend. She has a way to help you with those memories. In the meantime ...see if these images jog your mind." Sam opened up her laptop, hit a few keys then turned it around so that Kylee 2 could see it. She had set up a slide show of all the existing photographs they had of Ba'al.

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:31:15 AM »

The two girls met eyes for a moment as Sam explained in length about the quantum mirrors and the other incident.   The information wasn't lost on either of them but for a moment their focus was not on the Colonel but of a mutual appreciation for the other realizing they were both thinking the exact same thing.   That 'boy, that was a mouthful.'  Ky2 bit her lip and glanced down where as the plucky young lieutenant forcefully tamed her amusement, but it showed in her eyes. 

The Lieutenant was more impressed at how succinctly she had managed to say all of that, though she may have to make an effort to translate Carter's technobabble. 

Ky-2 turned her attention to the laptop, her brows knitting with focus.   The man behind the glass in the cell, staring daggers into her, Ba'al certainly fit the bill.  She winced and reached for her head as a few new memories started popping into place, faceless soldiers coming to her rescue and setting her free, or rather, given the flurry of lightning in her mind's eye, set her loose.

"I think it must have been.  There was a complex and I was trapped, but someone came and freed me, military uniforms.    It's kind of a grey blur still.   Nothing's in focus.    Except..."  She frowned deeply, shaking her head, trying to shake the memory off.  She wasn't an especially violent person but she was pretty sure she killed... someone... "Oh god."

She wasn't about to say what she thought she was remembering, a moment of fury, a moment of unbridled power without limits, and then looking back at the bodies of her rescuers.  All dead.   She couldn't have...

It was all she had to actually keep it together, looking up at Sam shamefully, then back down to the floor.  "I'm sorry.  I don't... I don't think I can talk about it right now."

Lt Harwood pushed a hand through her hair, offering a sympathetic gaze to her twin, no really, she had a twin now.  Long lost mess of a soap opera twist twin sister.   She was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt, as that was just what you do in her family.  Don't turn your back on your kin.  "Hey.  It's going to be okay.  I'll... Uh.  Colonel I'll go have a guest room prepared for her quick like.   If it's all the same I'd rather make myself useful.  I'll try to see if i don't have some creature comforts to throw in the mix."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 08:21:49 PM »

<Sam's office>

While the girls were talking, Sam was on the phone to Walter in the gate room, she looked pleased by whatever he said, enough to make looked pleased about something. "Thanks Walter, when she arrives send her up to my office will you." He must have said yes, Sam replaced the receiver quietly after that.

"Given what you've told us so far Kylee..." This was going to be confusing Sam thought, she'll need to give them separate titles. "...you've obviously been caught in some kind of interuniversal travel funnel. Let me explain..." Now though wasn't the time, she could see clearly the girl was distressed. "By all means, use the second VIP room on level 25, I'll square it up with Lieutenant Brownwell. In the meantime I do have someone on the way who can help with the memories if you're willing to try after you've rested."

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »

"Colonel, with respect, I'd love to hear a ted talk on that topic because it sounds awesome, and if there's a report or cliff notes send it my way.   I think it'll have to wait."  She offered an amicable smile to her superior, as it wasn't in anyway sarcasm but genuine interest mixed with a bit of banter.  She had a lot to deal right now. 

Her eyes turned to her double and she offered a hand.

"C'mon.  VIP room means you get a little TLC.  Not exactly five star room service but it's best you can get around here."
  The girls met eyes and K2 took the hand, rising from her seat and moved to follow her twin out.

<To Level 25 VIP>

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 03:19:21 AM »

"Off World activation!" The usual cry was paged over the PA. A moment or two later Sam's footsteps came lightly down the stairs from the briefing room.

"Who is it Sergeant?" She asked half knowing who it was just the same.

"Anise of the Tok'ra Colonel. Her IDC is valid and current." The young man replied.

"Open the iris." She didn't stay, turning on her heal then heading straight down the second flight of stairs to wait on her guest. It took only a few seconds for the iris to be opened, the gate tech to send his affirmation through, then another brief pause before Anise stepped through the event horizon.

"Samantha! It's so good to see you!" The other woman wasn't quite gushing, possibly just that Tok'ra self imposed loneliness kicking in when they do finally come out of the dark. She carried only a small leather shoulder bag.

"You to Anise." She half meant it, there were still even after all this time some lingering feelings of bitterness over Martouf, Sam in her own way held all Tok'ra responsible. Over it, perhaps she had just buried it. "You understood my message I take it?"

Anise bowed her head slightly, feeling the emotion coming from Sam. "I did and it is a delicate matter, shall we get started?"

"Of course, just a moment." Sam pipped her radio. "Lieutenant Harwood, would you bring our friend Kylee to the briefing room please."

<<To Briefing Room>>

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 04:02:40 AM »

<Radio>

"Ma'am, wouldn't it make sense to give her a few more hours to rest?"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:28:33 PM by Impiousimp »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 01:26:17 AM »

That wouldn't work, Barrett had a schedule and she couldn't bend things around to suit everyone. "Afraid not Lieutenant, and I can assure you it won't be either intrusive or harmful. Twenty minutes, I'll see you both there." Luckily they had barely moved, she did now though.

"Colonel Cater!" The gate tech called to her over the PA from the window above.

"What is it sergeant?"

"Ma'am, that girl, the other Kylee, she's been spotted in the car park with Lieutenant Hanley of Mako. Lieutenant Hanley appears to have a side arm pointed at her, I have them on CCTV now." He reported.

"Damn!" Sam swore. "Sergeant, get four SF's down there now...with Zats." She turned about then led Anise up the stairs without another word.

"Yes ma'am."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:34:57 AM by Mim »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

><From Armory>>

Being first mattered to Cate, she had picked up the habit from Lena. There was no sound reason for it, other than showing some leadership and right now Cate's CV was on the line, so she was going to make sure she could prove Sam was right in giving her command of SG-4.

The FRED loaded by Kylee was brought into place by an SF, Cate gave it the once over double checking that the module was secure and that nothing was missing. Satisfied with that other than waiting for her team to show, she had only one other thing to do. She turned and lifted her head to the window, calling loudly. "Dial it up Walter."

The whole time Cate was down there Walter watched her, he knew what was coming. When the inevitable call was made, he waved to her before hitting the auto dialer for the Alpha Site. One by one the chevrons locked in until he could announce his catch call. "Chevron Seven Locked!"

Impiousimp

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 09:50:04 PM »

"I'll take my chances, Colonel."
Kylee replied before heading back down and  pulling on her cap.   She didn't understand the wisdom of assigning two techies to a single team, it seemed more apt to have some diversity.   Perhaps Cate's leadership style would change her mind or perhaps they would work together and become miracle workers in space.  Who knows?

"You spring back pretty well, Cate.   It's like nothing even happened yesterday.    You  might want to take it easy though while we're on Alpha Site." She suddenly looked a little anxious herself as she wondered if there was an ulterior motive here with sending her off to do these testing.  This really wasn't even her project.   She bit the inside of her cheek feeling slightly put off but only because she was also concerned for who was.... essentially now her twin sister.

"Cate, this has been on the schedule for a while, right?"  She didn't want to second guess command decisions, but sometimes the military machine made her nervous.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:35:07 PM »

The 'other' blonde looked up from her perusal of the FRED, wrinkling her nose at the question, or really the reflection of what had taken place over the last 36 hours or so. "Ah, that would definitely be a no Kylee. As in the recovery bit. I still feel like my body has been run over by a truck literally, although it is starting to fade some. Thanks for your concern, I do appreciate that." She truly did. Lately Cate had been feeling isolated from people, even her team in many ways, going off doing things mostly in the lab, do her best to find ways to put and end to terror, essentially Ba'al. Ever since she learned of his return and that as much as everyone wanted to believe he was dead, the old wolf had merely used up the last (possibly not) of his clones.

"Quite a while, at least since the day before yesterday." That was a long time in any one's language to a degree. She was grinning cheekily.

@sorra @DanielRyder

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 102
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »

Bryan soon made it down to the Gate Room.  "Sorry I'm latem" he said.  He wasn't sure what they would encounter on this mission but he was ready for whatever.

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • DanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has Ascended
  • Before building something great, you destroy it
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »

On the heels of his comrade and in standard gear, Taer stepped in side of Bryan. He shrugged and shook his head before responding, "Yeah. Let's get this show on the road."

It's been awhile since Taer's seen action and has an itch that must be scratched by running back into action. He was on leave from active duty and now he was back in action. Had been for about several weeks waiting to be placed on active duty. This was a good time as any.
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Pages: [1] 2