Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: M857-Q23  (Read 1871 times)

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • DanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has Ascended
  • Before building something great, you destroy it
Re: M857-Q23
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »

Jon sat there and took in all the words being spoken and said. They had good points. Even the fact that Quiade's people counted just over millions. He sat there pondering, while keeping the fact that this was too many people to escape through the gate. Even Valentine brought up the fact that they will fight to defend his people. Jon had hoped they wouldn't get to that point, so he spoke up, "If I may, sir. Yes, we can stand and defend your people. I have a suggestion. We can try to 'cloak' your people. We did that once with Atlantis when the Wraith invaded. We cloaked the city. Maybe we can do the same here? I realize there is a lot of people and a lot of power to make this happen, but it might just work. If we try."

Jon paused to let the information settle. There was nothing wrong with not trying it. It could work, depending on the resources available to them.
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Sio83

• Recruit
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sio83 A new starter.
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2019, 03:00:37 PM »

Sin looked at Rhiase before speaking.  "It would buy us too little time.  The Vanir know of this city.  Not only would they know of the cloak, but they would know a cloak would mean no shield."

Usually, Sin would have been interested in any random tinkering the humans were up to.  It would be too much to hope to work alongside them without a higher probability of being shot be a trigger-happy Tau'Ri than being killed by Vanir.

This would be nothing more than another failure, and another one he would be powerless to stop if the humans weren't open to new ideas.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 105
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

"Our Wraith friend is right. Cloak won't do us much good and it only protects a portion of the population. People flee to get under it, Vanir hammer it from orbit and cause even more casualties." Dave added.

"We need to fight, then." Michelle said. "Look, yes, strategically we can't win a war of attrition. But we can't just roll over and die here. The Vanir know much of the tech we got from the Asgard and the Ancients, but they clearly didn't expect to get a face full of ICBM when they rolled up."

"Okay, so how do we do it?" Dave asked.

"I'm just a commando, okay? Strategic level isn't my bag, but two things need to happen. One, Colonel Quaide, is a sort of continuity of government protocol. Your political and military leaders, the main ones who are policy makers and executors, will be evacuated to set up a government in exile, like the Free nations did during World War Two. This means the Vanir can't just come in, blast you guys and throw your entire chain of command into chaos. Two, we force them to fight you guys on the ground, even the scales." Michelle explained.

"She's got a point. If you have armor and heavy artillery, making a stand here won't be as impossible as it sounds. Your forces can't hold out indefinitely, we're gonna need to get them to divert resources or take them out entirely, but figure we get you guys some tech to even the scales...say, Commander, you think we can add a little more bang to their nukes? Might be a shock to the Vanir if our friends here had their silos loaded with Mark IXs instead of the normal stuff..." Dave asked his CO.

"I'd say otherwise, start digging bunkers for your people. Train up militia groups to protect them and make the Vanir feel like a gunsight is behind every blade of grass. A militia of peasants with outdated weapons managed to give pause to three other countries who dared to set foot in their nation. It can be done." Michelle concluded.

Artemis

• Airman
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Artemis A new starter.
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2019, 05:12:28 PM »

"Well, we can spare some warheads, should have a bigger impact on Vanir, assuming their missles can fit our warheads. Other than that, assisting their ground forces should be in our capacity." Ingrid was unsure what to add. The situation was far from ideal but the Vanir had to be stopped and neutralised.

Sio83

• Recruit
  • Sio83 A new starter.
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2019, 03:06:58 PM »

"A cloak around your ships would surprise them," Sin spoke up.  "If all they see is the city and the destruction they managed to deal to us, they would likely be somewhat vulnerable.  At least, for a few seconds."

The humans were eager to help, but to truly interact?  Doubtful. At best, they trusted the wraith not to eat the locals and for the most part kept their hands off the triggers of their guns. At least that was better than when Commander Todd spoke with them.

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 102
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »

Nothing was sounding like a real great plan at the moment.  Every angle seemed to lead to casualties.   Something that Mesa was sure they all wanted to avoid.  She tapped her fingers on the desk as she listened to different ideas.  "Cloaking the ship's just might work.  At least like Sin said long enough to buy sometime.  Hopefully that will allow the innocents to find hiding."  Or at least she hoped so.  "But for the moment I don't see a way around a fight."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »

<Bunker-Tinde Garrison>

Scratching his chin in a very curious human way of thought Quaide's mind was busy evaluating everything that had been said. He dropped his head for a moment before lifting it again, a new light shone in his dark eyes. "My sources tell me these Vanir if they come this way are at best a day and a half away, less if they decide to press on with speed." He sucked in a deep, deep breath. "Some years ago, quite before my time when the Stargate was operational and during our intercontinental wars our leaders here did exactly that as suggested by Lieutenant Hanley. At that time our threat were airships from our human neighbors to the far east, we were some years behind them in technology yet we learned quite rapidly. In the ten years of that particular war we gained the upper hand by the end of the sixth year merely by learning from those we came into contact with through the portal. Thus you see us now, united simply because our two neighbors knew how futile it would be to challenge us again. You may find this hard to conceive, my race were never war like in the past; how things change."

"So this is a viable solution for you Colonel?" Rhiase was becoming inquisitive about these people and their ways. So human and yet in many ways they weren't. "I will add to what my second in command and the others have told you. While cloaking may give a modicum of protection, it won't save you for any longer than it takes for these evil creatures to detect your presence. While we may have dealt with the first incursion, that was nothing but a prelude as to what is coming, a test so to speak."

"I do understand thoroughly. The High Council and the Ministers with their families can be moved, where I do not know, for if as you say the Vanir are taking a thorough dislike to all inhabited worlds, there are few options that I am aware of." He looked around to all of them, looking essentially for the answers he hoped they might provide. "The assistance with our missile system I will say could go a long way. We have made great strides in that area and have even managed to send several probes without warheads to our moon." He chuckled at something, a wry grin splitting his mouth. "Ah, militia. Our standing army on this continent alone is around 700,000. We have both infantry, marines and armored divisions as well as heavy and light artillery. Out of tradition we still maintain a decent cavalry and you'll find our navy and air forces quite capable. I am sure if we can force these creatures onto the ground it might prove to be a different story."

Glancing to her first mate, Rhiase sent to him ~Are you not curious as to why Guide went to such pains to hide this world from us?~

There was a lot to take in, even for an observer as Jordan had taken to being for the last ten minutes or so. When Quaide mentioned the fact of moving his Government though an idea struck her. "Hanley, that planet you visited for the weapons, MJ7-98U I believe it was. I'm wondering how likely it would be for the Vanir to return to a world they've already thought finished?" She nodded to Valentine, he was proving to have a smart head on his shoulders.

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2019, 02:18:02 AM »

<Tinde Garrison- Gateroom>

The balding older man complied not even aware he was being mocked, nodding as if he understood what these strange people were saying or meaning. "Command, the gate may be operational, our guests wish to try it with a test." he spoke into a device much like the 1980's mobile phone bricks of the day. A moment later a reply confirmed the request. "Go ahead Miss, you're clear."

"Thank you." She told him, giving Radek and huge grateful smile. "Skvělý." She replied. Difficult but she thought she got it right. "Okay doc, failing a huge, well um, failure let's give the old orifice a spin than shall we?" He continued to amuse her, she was liking him more and more as the moments went by. He was a little like her old Uncle Quen, although Radek wasn't near his age, the humor was the same.

One by one she went through the sequence on the DHD with the top back in place temporarily until the last chevron was locked. A moments hesitation, perhaps a split second before the lights went on each in turn, with the wormhole forming perfectly at the end of the cycle. "High Five!" She yelled, putting her hand up in joy. "Atlantis this is Corporal Louise Nguyen calling from M857-Q23, do you copy? Over."

A little crackling, then the words they were waiting for, it was Amelia. "I hear you loud and clear Lou. Congratulations to you and Doctor Zelenka."

Another satisfied smile. Louise searched in her pockets for something, something solid and she found it; her Swiss Army knife. "We need a test subject." She laughed tossing it through. Telling Amelia then she'll shut the gate down after it was confirmed the object went through, as a double blind test she had Amelia do the same so in the end her knife was back in her pocket.

"Well Doc, I think we should deliver the final verdict in person don't you?" She was starting to feel hungry now and had forgotten her vital snacks, but she knew at least one of the team might have something she can nibble on.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Teddy is a rising star!Teddy is a rising star!Teddy is a rising star!Teddy is a rising star!Teddy is a rising star!Teddy is a rising star!
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2019, 01:11:55 PM »

<Tinde Garrison- Gateroom>

Radek beamed
"You have been hanging around Colonel O'Neill perhaps too long?"
He said as he high fived her, commenting on the orifice part of her sentence.

"Thank you Atlantis, it is good to hear from you, we will see you soon,....well, yes, let us go, and I am a little hungry, you did very good by the way"

He smiled once more and took note that this was a very smart girl

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 105
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »

"It might be better to send the leaders to Atlantis. We can't house an entire civilization, but we can take in some leaders and their families without too much fuss. Plus, it'll keep them close to any decisions made and cut down on the risk that the Vanir find them and pull some shady buisness to remove them from play. It's what I'd do." Michelle said.

"Now, the planet AR-1 went to, well, we'd need to be sure the Vanir aren't gonna hit up places they picked clean, but if they don't come back, maybe we use those sites for both refugee camps and off-word staging grounds for the alliance forces. We can't save everyone we meet, this is a reality we're luckily learning sooner rather than later. But, if we can get some people to safety and have a place where our defending troops aren't always under the gun, it'll go a long way to morale and supplies." Dave added.

"But this cloak...well, here's an alternate thought to throw on the table. We could try to use it once on some place to defend...or we use it to catch the Vanir with their britches down for a change. They're gonna figure we're gonna use it to hide folks, right? What if instead of hiding civilians or a city, we use it to ambush them. They think they got a shooting gallery and instead, we sock 'em right in the mouth. Might give us some more breathing room." Dave suggested.

"Whatever your enemy thinks you're going to do, flip the script. Just like what we'd do. They'll likely send a strike team to the Stargate for sure, but beam down the rest of my shooters, we'll hold that ground. It'll get ugly, I'm thinking like Khe Sahn or Dien Bien Phu, but we cover the leaders and force back the attack." Michelle said, nodding in approval.

Shadowlord

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.Shadowlord is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2019, 10:26:53 PM »

John agreed then that a cloak wouldn’t help but the large number of native soldiers certainly would. He didn’t know what kind of fleet strength the Vanir truly had compared to them but he knew that wasn’t his responsibility, but he didn’t feel like being powerless.

“How about shields on the ground, is that feasible?” He didn’t feel like being bombarded from orbit.

“Also I would like to ask the Wraith about their drone warriors, can they be trusted not to.. eat people in the middle of combat?” He didn’t feel like having to watch his back from Wraith who might eat him to save their own lives.

Apart from that he hoped nukes were enough to give the enemy pause, the Vanir would surely have a load of advanced technology that would make defending the planet difficult but not impossible.

Sio83

• Recruit
  • Sio83 A new starter.
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »

"They are used to feeding on combatants," Sin replied.  He didn't care for the implications, but he assumed it was merely cultural ignorance in this case. "So long as your weapons are aimed the other way, you are a trusted ally.  The Vanir, though, are, as  you may say, 'fair game'."

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • DanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has AscendedDanielRyder Has Ascended
  • Before building something great, you destroy it
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2019, 12:53:03 AM »

Lieutenant Jon Agathon

Looking among the faces of the people across the table as he listened, Jon absorbed so much information. He could only take so much before his mind start spinning with suggestions for Quiade. He was the XO of AR3. Nodding at John's suggestion, he replied, "I wonder, if we can spare the shields, would we have enough for your people to use. If we're using cloaking for some areas, there are still some exposed sections that we could provide the shields for? Since we have the Okinawa, maybe she could provide some cover against the Vanir."

Jon hoped his suggestions had some valid reasons.
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Veteran52

• Technical Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 17
  • Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »

Cooper still felt that nagging hesitation. The concepts seemed to be fairly straight-forward though..Save as many of this population as possible, put a big 'hurt' on these Vanir and slow down their galaxy-wide move to destroy all alien life that opposed them. Utilize all members of this alliance where they would do the most good..Moving over to the Commanders side,Cooper approached and quickly cleared his throat.."Commander, all of these recent suggestions could be put into simultaneous use, like a 'patch-work' blanket..if we can co-ordinates with the different allies,at the same moment..1)get as many civilians through the gate as possible..2)form as many of their soldiers into 'strike groups' and place them in strategic locations..3) use the shields in weaker spots, supported yb the Wraith, having them act as 'shock troops' and unleashing them at points of imminent threat, backed up byUs and our tech.  All Im thinking is..make the Vanir pay for every inch of territory, bluff where possible and strike with tech and overwhelming force when the think they are winning.  Pull them in, surround them and neutralize as many as possible.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2019, 12:12:01 AM »

<Bunker-Tinde Garrison>

Drawing deeply through his mouth with a sound as if it came from some beast, Quaide had his mind set. "Very well then, I will accept your advice on this matter as will our Ministers. They will have little choice on the matter for as of now I am declaring within my powers martial law." It might on the surface appear somewhat overreaching for a mere Colonel, yet the fact of the matter was on this world they had never thought of any rank higher and that it took many years of dedicated service to reach the rank of Colonesk, it in itself being more equivalent to Earth's three or four star Generals. There were a number of ranks with various different strange names between Loitnant (Second Lieutenant) and Quaide's rank. "If the Stargate is hopefully operational within the next hour or so, would it be possible to move near 350 people to your city of Atlantis? That is the full parliament and their immediate families give or take a dozen or so."

He lifted his head to Dixon, a man who he saw as both an able commander and someone with a wise head on his shoulders. “Agreed, we can only save those we can yet at the same time we will not make fodder of those we can’t. I do not know the ways of other worlds save one or two, but if they are not prepared they will fall and from what some of you have said here, the Vanir are sticking to a plan by very little or no orbital engagement, preferring to put boots on the ground to do their dirty work.” His fist suddenly thumped on the table. “By the stars we will do this by your leave!” He said to all and sundry. “The bunker as you have seen will be the hardest for them to penetrate and unless we have spies I doubt they would even know where to find it. But we can sidetrack them away from here and draw them with force to another location they are sure to target. Our missile defence command station some five miles distant to our north west, it lays within a small valley and can be defended on three sides from the hills, draw them in by having that shielding device they will see as obviously protecting something of value and make them pay dearly for their effort.”

A plan, better than no plan at all. The ships on the other hand were another matter. “I would advise that both my ship and the Okinawa should remain hidden when they do come. If they believe only that a ground attack is all they need then it is possible as I and Sin have witnessed that at best only one ship will arrive, at worst two. By now my Hive will have regenerated and Quaide if you trust my kind, I can add over three thousand to your soldiers for the former plan.” On further the matter of trust. "A small choice really, a trust in us as we stand by your side as Sin so eloquently stated it, or trust the Vanir to pass you by?"

He almost had a mirthful look on his face. “It is not I Commander Rhiase who you need to convince but your allies around this table. I will gladly take your armsmen as I hope you all will agree that this will be a stand not just for my home world but all free people of the galaxy."

Rhiase nodded her pleasure at the answer as she scanned the faces of the others. “We should not dally much longer then. Sin, prepare yourself for command, you will take our ship into orbit with the human ship and ready yourself for the defence of the planet; I will lead our warriors in the ground mission.” Her sharp eyes looked up at the Okinawa’s captain. “Commander Blackwood, would you be able to spare two of your officers to assist my XO?” While she knew Sin could pilot the hive, she had no other Clevermen on board who take over the other functions, particularly the weapons.

Never before had Quaide been able to discuss matters so easily among even his own peers, he was warming up to these strangers more and more as the situation was spoken of. “These worlds previously hit by our enemy, I am going to try and put ourselves in their mindset that thinking they are so powerful and in their arrogance believe they have left behind wastelands. If they are places we can retreat to, rest troops and hold others in reserve while at the same time move civilians there, we should do it.”

Bold, daring. You got nowhere in battle without either of those qualities. “You’ll need at least two hundred here placed variously around this complex for defence, Lieutenant Hanley’s team is perfectly trained for that. I’m more inclined to open ground engagements so I know where my team will be.” Jordan never even blinked when the man’s fist landed on the table, she had experienced so much of that in her career it was almost expected now. “All we need is the Stargate.” Afraid of the Wraith? Hell no, only if she was sleeping. She gave both Sin and Rhiase a tiny but suspicious look. "I think Chief, Lieutenant.." She said to Morgan. "...there will be only one shield in place, the rest is up to us." Agathon and the Chief made some good points, simply put they'd need something like two Dreadnought class ships to put it into operation.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:18:05 AM by Mim »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8