Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: PG8-K59 Alpha Site- Landing area  (Read 9086 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 226
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
PG8-K59 Alpha Site- Landing area
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:00:23 AM »

Since the war with the Hozgura, the defences of the alpha site had been upgraded to a degree a dedicated battle carrier landing site was cleared from within one of the older mining areas. This was as close as reasonable to the head quarters bunker as practical, but for Commander Jordan O'Neil, the bases newly appointed XO it wasn't good enough. She felt it was too exposed to the Borg's frontline and with good reason. Since the end of that war; with the base a local population cut down to almost a third of its original number, the Borg had taken the advantage; gathered as much left behind technology of the Hozgura and made themselves a serious threat. Their number alone could wash over the base in a matter of hours; but they needed time themselves to come to terms with their new found power.

"Come on you lazy good for nothing layabouts. The ship will be here any time now. I want these bulwarks completed before she gets here." Jordan shouted over the din of the workers and machinery. They have been at it for two weeks, building small gun towers on the low circular ridge line that surrounded the natural bowl that was the landing area. She was panicking slightly, they had already fended off one attack only yesterday.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Robert Laurel is looked down upon.
Re: PG8-K59 Alpha Site- Landing area
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

<<Lieutenant Genevieve Larson, Saggitta Comms Officer>>

Saggitta to Alpha Site. Lieutenant Larson speaking. Please give status report.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »

{Brigadier General Lucille Chalmers}

The walk from the Alpha Site bunker to the landing area was a good twenty minutes. Lucille could well have taken one of the humvees had she chosen to, but decided the walk in the fresh morning air would do her and her temperament good; she'd been feeling a little lethargic lately and the constant skirmishes with the Borg didn't do anything to cool her mood any either. She needed to do something other than have to be looking over her shoulder every few minutes to see if the next noise she heard was the swish of a blade or heavy mace.

Just as she arrived, her radio burst into life not too unexpectedly. "Saggitta this is General Lucille Chalmers,  its about time. What kept you? We thought you would be here days ago." A status report? How on earth does one explain chaos. "You're safe to land for now. Have General Caldwell and his team disembark on the field and I'll fill him in once he is here." That was really all she could say for now, unless of course he wanted a minute by minute report of every fight over the last two weeks or so, or how low their supplies were at this very minute.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:49 AM »

To say they didn't have much time to clear the area was an understatement. One moment Jordan saw the 'boss' talking in her radio and the next moment there was a sonic boom way up above. She looked skyward to see far up in the upper atmosphere the dark shape of a ship rapidly descending. "Everyone out!" Jordan yelled at the top of her lungs. "To the bunkers if you don't have time to clear the ridge!"

Her voice echoed around the basin of the hollow and to suit her words, Jordan herself sprinted to the nearest bunker entry, grabbing Lucille by the arm as she went. "Sorry ma'am, no place to stand here." She said quickly. Only seconds later they were inside and the thick steel door slammed behind them. They were just in time, only seconds after they were inside a loud 'thump' told them the ship had landed. Jordan waited for the dust to settle and then hit the 'all clear' horn.
Far Dareis Mai

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »

"That was close, too close Jordan. I hope everyone got out of the area safely." Lucy said to her XO, the woman had proved invaluable over the last few months, not only sharp, but quick of both mind and limb; a surprising thing for Lucille, as they weren't all that different in age with her almost fifty and Jordan close behind at forty six. Lucy all too often had something else to do, rather than spend time in the gym and cross training, unlike the SEAL commander. "Come on, we'll go and greet General Caldwell and his crew."

A few minutes later the two of them were standing alone at the base of one huge support strut of the Saggitta, Lucy with her arms behind her back. Her eyes widened visibly as she took in the marvelous sight of the great Ancient ship.

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »

"TACO, any sign of hostile activity?" "Nein, Herr General." "XO, keep her ready to lift." He got up from his chair and crossed to the bridge arms locker and opened it, donning the helmet and body armor kept there. He then reached in and pulled out a pistol belt and strapped it around his waist. "Lieutenant Morrison, form a secure perimeter around the ship. Commander Harkness, begin unloading the cargo as soon as the perimeter is set up." He looked around the bridge. "Captain Aston, you will accompany me." He moved over to his chair and flipped a switch. "Major Durette, Colonel Harrington, meet me by the hatch."

Steven and Captain Aston took the elevator down to the lowest level, where the hatches were located. The Royal Marine and the French paratrooper were waiting for him there. Morrison and his Marines had already egressed and formed a perimeter around the ship. Looking through the open hatch, Steven saw General Chambers and her XO approaching. He stepped through the hatch, noting the flurry of activity as the cargo was being unloaded, and returned Chambers' salute then shook her hand. "Let's go to your command bunker and talk. I think you'll like a lot of what I've brought for you." As they walked he introduced the other officers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:29:20 PM by Robert Laurel »

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »

Flynn looked over at Maria after they landed.  Apparently the two of them weren't to go too far.  Oh well.  Hopefully with time she would be able to get off the ship and explore a bit.  "Have you ever been here, Lieutenant Colonel?" she asked Maria.  It looked like quite a place to her.  at least from what she had been able to see so far.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 04:50:39 PM »

"General Caldwell, lovely to see you again." Lucy said shaking his hand in return. "This is my executive officer Commander Jordan O'Neil and before you ask, yes she is the one and same of that SEALS controversy some years ago." Lucille pipped her radio. "Briggs, this is Chalmers, send two Humvees over to the landing area and have three squads of our security section assist with guarding the Saggitta."

A reply came through with some static. "Yes ma'am, they'll be on their way in two minutes."

She started to lead Steven and his people back up to the surface. "This is only a safe bunker Steven, the main base entry is a twenty to thirty minute walk south and you don't want to do that come sundown." That was the most active time of the Borg lately and they were becoming as regular as clockwork. "I'll be looking forward to some decent steak right now and soap. Real soap." She told him.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:00:26 PM by RogueRanger »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:56:08 PM »

As the two of them made their way off the ship and onto terra firma, Maria breathed in deeply; the smell of real air was so invigorating after being aboard a ship supplying manufactured air and here, it was even better, the sweet fragrance of a pine wood wafting across the deep natural basin that made the landing field.

"Not since the war no Flynn. But prior to that, it was a regular stop over for us and the other ships as well. Being so far out on the edge of the galaxy, it requires more power to operate the gate both ways; so supplies are more often transported in by us." It was odd that a lot of the newcomers to the Stargate program hadn't spent their initial training here, but then that was under both Landry and Jack O'Neill. With Sean it was a whole new ball game, sending new recruits out with SG teams to other off world places as their first taste of the alien worlds. "You'll love the locals here and I don't mean the Borg. They are horsemen and women; they spend most of their lives training for war from horseback. They are not primitive by any standard though, quite advanced. They simply prefer tradition and it was several thousand of their mounted horse that saved the day back six months ago." They should stay close to the ship unless Steven called for them, but it wouldn't hurt perhaps to do a little exploring close by.

"Pleased to meet you General. I've heard a lot about you and your old ship the Deadalus." Jordan said in greeting. Getting to the surface first and standing by the open bunker door, she scanned the area, quiet so far. The site of Marines patrolling around the ship lifted her spirits, the Borg are stupid, but not that stupid to launch an attack now. It should be an easy night hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:49:31 PM by RogueRanger »
Far Dareis Mai

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:18 PM »

Steven grinned at Lucy as the group entered the bunker. "I've brought plenty of steaks and lots of soap too. I've also brought a lot of other things I think you'll like." He shook hands with Commander O'Neil. "I hope I have time to introduce you to my XO and my tactical officer. Maria was my XO on Daedalus, and Sieglinde was the assistant tactical officer there, and she got a well preserved promotion when she came to Saggitta. She also happens to be one of the richest women in Europe and heiress to a ducal title." He introduced the other officers with him. "This is Captain Richard Aston, he's my new chief of staff. Now that I'm fleet commander, I need one badly. This is Major Durutte of the French special forces. He's the recon unit CO on Saggitta. Colonel Hamilton here of the Royal Marines is the new commander of all the Marines in the fleet."

"When we got into orbit we deployed some comms satellites in geosync orbit. You'll have no more comms problems, now. Around the clock coverage. We also deployed a bunch of recon sats in low orbit that will give around the clock, all weather coverage of this area. We also brought lots and lots of drones of all different sizes. We even have some the size of insects that can park on a tree and observe all kinds of interesting things. We also brought all kinds of things to help with perimeter defense, like 81mm M252 mortars and M240 medium machine guns, with lots and lots of ammo. You're going to have first priority on reinforcements and equipment, if I have anything to say about it, and I think I will."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 08:08:09 PM by Robert Laurel »

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »

As much as Flynn had enjoyed being on the Saggitta, it was nice to be on firm ground again.  She took a deep breath as they stepped off and smiled.  The smell of pines reminded her so much of home that it almost made her homesick.  Although this place looked beautiful to her.

"Really?" she asked in surprise. "I hadn't realized."  She wondered why they had stopped coming to the Alpha site that.  If they used to use it all the time it didn't make sense to just suddenly stop.  Of course she wasn't in charge, so she wasn't going to question it.  She was getting a chance to see it now.  Her eyes lit up as Maria talked about the people that lived here.  "Ooh, then I should feel right at home.  Oh, it will be great to get to be around people who love and respect horses again," she said brightly.  Yes, she had managed to get Fred on a horse, but she knew he hadn't really liked it.  And she hadn't had much time to spend with Guy.  "Do you think there will be any problems here?" she asked, noticing that Mesa was still up in the air with her craft.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

The dust cloud from the approaching vehicles could be seen clearly in the southern skyline as sun started its downward journey in the west; it was a scarlet red horizon and that most often meant the Borg would try something. Even setting fire to one of the guard towers and nothing else; had been a regular event. So there was a few minutes to wait, so Lucille took the opportunity to bring Steven up to speed. "We've been without decent satellite coverage since the war Steven, as you might be aware we lost not only two thirds of our people, including the locals, the attacks of the Hozgura took out our defence network and communications first. Odyssey provided us with one, but for a base this size and our outposts its just not enough. Your arrival is though late, timely." She told him rather bluntly.

Walking a little more into the open, Lucille watched the Marine force of the ship go about their business. She hoped they wouldn't be needed but that hope faded everyday. "My local commander Josile Senatel should be here by the time we get to the command centre, a good lass and she can pass onto you any requests for back home her people need. Another thing you should be aware of, apart from imminent attacks by the Borg, is that we're experiencing a drought as you can see from the land. Water restrictions are in place so I'd appreciate it if you could pass that onto your people Steven." By that time, the two large Humvees had arrived, pulling up with a squeal of brakes. Lucille walked over to the first vehicle. "One more thing, I put in a request for replacements of our missile defence, was that taken note of?"

<<To Alpha Site Command>>

Robert Laurel

• Sin Bin
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »

"It was. Your missile defenses will be replenished, along with a lot of spare parts for everything." He looked around as he got into the Humvee. "I'll make sure you get earth-moving equipment so you can build proper defenses. I've got concertina wire and claymores with me as part of the shipment." He turned to his chief of staff. "Richard, make a note that we need to get a mechanized battalion out here right away, and ratchet it up to a reinforced brigade task force as soon as we can. I want at least one armor battalion and a battalion of self-propelled artillery, as well as an attack helicopter company. Make plans to put together a multinational force of division strength. We need to be able to take the offensive and stop these attacks for good." He nodded at Lucy. "I'll also order some seismic equipment so you can search for water and drill for wells. If we're going to hold this place then we need to put enough personnel to hold it."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 09:23:27 PM by Robert Laurel »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »

Jordan kept silent as both Steven and Lucille talked. She normally had a lot to say, but for the moment she listened, there was still a lot about the Stargate program she needed to learn and listening was the best way she knew how. When the Humvees arrived, she climbed into the second one, some of Steven's people joined her; still she didn't say anything, her nerves to were a little on edge.

<<Jordan to Command Center>>

Walking up the sides of the ravine, Maria kept one eye on Flynn and another on the ship and the people below. It was a little hard going and the sides of the slope were slippery with flint and rubble from the excavations, but soon they were on the top of the edge. "One would hope not." She answered her friend to the question of trouble. "At least not while we're still on the ground anyway." By that she meant the ship. She turned westtward and took in the late evening view. "Oh my god, look at that Flynn." Maria pointed to the horizon, there as the sun was going down, was the sea, not but a few short miles away, red with the sunset and a flock of huge birds wheeling away from something far below. "I wonder what spooked them?" They were obviously flying away from something, heading out to sea.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:31:11 PM by RogueRanger »
Far Dareis Mai

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

*AC401-23 in flight*

Mesa guided the little craft through the air, looking out the side window. "All still good, Bella?" she called back.  She hadn't seen any trouble, but she was relying on Bella to be her eyes as well.

Flynn took careful steps as she followed Maria.  They certainly didn't want to fall and injure themselves.  Not on her first mission anyhow.  And the place was gorgeous.  She had never seen anything like it. "I know what you mean," Flynn agreed.  She turned to look at the horizon that her friend had pointed out. "Hmm, I don't know, but it usually take a lot to spook birds that badly," she commented.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:50:19 PM by RogueRanger »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7