Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Various Military Ranking Systems  (Read 3699 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: Various Military Ranking Systems
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:18 AM »

I was totally blown away 2 weeks ago on a visit to the USS Blue Ridge in Sydney. Six of us, all cadets went and I think my face is still red from all the saluting we got. I asked one PO why and he said simply as officer cadets we were given the same status as any other officer. :D :D :D Yes we were in uniform. Oh,,,,US sailors still whistle  :samanime12:

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 04:21:40 AM »

Yes, yes we do still whistle. It is a time honored tradition.
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 04:27:30 AM »

Wow thats new to me, granted I got out a few years ago but the I worked for a WO2 that was a great guy. I had heard they tried to get rid of it but could not, I did not know they were halting promotions of the Warrants.

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 04:56:03 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't know if I should salute a Cadet or Officer Candidate so I would likely do so just to be on the safe side. I'll have to see if there's an AFI to cover that.

1.6.1. Saluting. Saluting is a courtesy exchanged between members of the Armed Forces as
both a greeting and a symbol of mutual respect. The basic rules regarding saluting are:
1.6.1.1. You salute the President, Vice President, Secretary of Defense, Service
Secretaries, all superior commissioned and warrant officers, all Medal of Honor
recipients, and superior officers of friendly foreign nations.

Cadets and Officer candidates are not mentioned, and from what I've read most branches don't require it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:27:36 PM by Troy »

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »

We never saluted cadets or candidates while I was in. Heck we barely saluted the butter bars.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 06:15:17 PM »

Quite possibly it was done out of courtesy more than anything else, as I think in the first instance the US sailors would only see a uniform resembling an officers rig and they are visiting an allies port. Those boys have been whistling for as long as I can recall, we've even had it at our own bases when exchange personnel have been on hand.

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »

Yes us american Naval personel are bad bad bad people.  :yes: Its also possible they did not know you were not an actual officer.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

Hubby told me that many years ago when he was first promoted to a full Petty Officer on visiting several US warships he was being saluted constantly. Which he thought rather strange since the PO's uniforms of both navies were almost identical.  :fp

Troy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.Troy has a powerful will.
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 08:58:24 PM »

I think even US Sailors have that occur to them. The rest of us are used to only Commissioned Officers having shiny things on their collars. Add to the fact that the Navy uses a crow, which sometimes gets confused for an Eagle from a distance .

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »

When I first met my current GF she was a Marine and was constantly saluting me because of the shinies on my collar lol. Annoys her to this day.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 06:19:05 PM »

One of the lovely aspects I always appreciated with US Navy ships was the custom of saluting people as they come up the gangway, not just on the ship itself. When I was first posted to the Mercy in the Gulf, the day I joined ship I wasn't even in uniform, that simply doesn't happen in our Navy unless they know who you are and what rank you have, :)

Cem1133

• Master Sergeant
  • Cem1133 A new starter.
  • Always
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2015, 05:00:29 AM »

LOL I think it started as a catch all. Just in case that was an officer lol, but it is a nice tradition. I remember when I was just assigned to my first duty station my father came out to visit. I let him borrow my car while I was at work and when he was driving on base to come get me the marine at the gate, seeing the little blue officer sticker on my vehicle. And seeing my dad who was greying at the time. Must have taken him for a senior officer and snapped him a heck of a good salute. My dad, who was a non com back in Nam, thought it was so good he turned around and drove back through the gate to get another one lmao.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

lethal-pageant