Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: US Air Force Academy Hospital~Colorado Springs  (Read 5629 times)

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bluebell722 hides in shadows.
Re: US Air Force Academy Hospital~Colorado Springs
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2018, 12:35:07 AM »

Even though Sophie's soft declaration as she'd taken his hand had been intended in something closer to melodrama than actual warning, it had shaken Jon to the core, because the thought of losing her -

So he let her hold her hand, and he hung back when she went to greet "Uncle Jack", and he let her soak up the other man's attention, and he smiled knowingly at Kim when she looked at him.

Then he looked at General Jack O'Neill.

That man's face was the one Jon should have seen when he looked in the mirror in the morning, but it wasn't, and he'd had eight years to accept that fact.

He stood straight and tall, respectful to a senior officer, and waited for the man to meet his gaze.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 74
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »

His call concluded, Jack considered just turning his phone completely off when more visitors came down the hall...and...

Oh boy...

Jack had sort of expected to see Jon again, after all, he had been the one to request that he be brought back into the Program (even if that conversation with the IOA had been the most confusing one he had...that week, anyways). He just didn't expect him right now, and yet, why wouldn't he have come once hearing the news.

"Well. Hello. Long time, no see." Jack said Jon, waving once, before Sophie got his attention with the pink cast on her arm. At least she saved him from that expression he wore when he was caught off-guard being there for any longer.

"You did?" Jack lowered down to a crouch to be closer to eye level with the girl, "Yeah, I'd say that you did, kiddo. But I bet I don't even want to see the other guy, huh?" He then gave her a proper hug from a better vantage point before looking to Kim and Jon.

"Sam's just inside, but she might be a bit tired from all of this. George and Debra seem to be doing just fine, but they're probably just as tired." He said, "I had to step out because it seems everyone has picked this moment to call me. You two have a new boss back at base as of a couple of hours ago, and then Hank called with Ferretti, who thinks he's "too old for this", but he's coming back to go to the Gamma Site."

While Jack was going to try to be discrete about who Jon was in public, he wasn't about to insult the guy's intelligence. After all, who else but Jack would know better not to do that.

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »

"Long time indeed, sir." Jon kept his tone polite, respectful, even though he knew that the Old Guy knew exactly what he wasn't saying. Then he glanced at Kim to see how she was taking the news about a new boss. "Either boss would be new to me." He swallowed the sudden lump in his throat. "Congratulations, sir. George and Debra. Very fitting."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 250
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »

*Phone*

"You can take that as done. By the time we hang up Jack, the paperwork will be well under way, by the time you get back to Sam, Walter will have his copy to give to McRaven."

"Well if I don't see you this weekend Jack, we'll take a rain check on the next. I'll get onto Andy now, take care and say hello to Sam for me." The phone clicked off sounding the dial tone.

The girl didn't let a bit of brass bother her, she and Jack were at times as thick as thieves in any case when Kim took them out to the 'cabin' by the fishless lake. (As if). He taught her to cast a line, tie a fly and a few more unsavory things connected with fishing that Kim found disgusting (like gutting and cleaning the things). "Sign!" She exclaimed in between the generous hug and her pulling out her now ever present marking pen. That is if he found room on the cast. She just grinned at his comment, she knew what he meant but luckily this wasn't a school yard brawl or he wouldn't be that far off the mark.

Mother hen Kim raised her eyebrows at her daughter's forwardness, but then she recalled it certainly might have been her doing that thirty years ago. The reunion went far smoother than she thought it might have, so at least the weight of what she had been worried about for the last couple of hours was off her shoulders. "Think we can at least take a peek inside sir?" She felt stupid in a way calling him that, it'd been just Jack outside officialdom for the last decade or so, or more. Besides Kim had stuck enough needles in his rear end to be more than familiar with him. That thought brought a smile to her face. She relaxed placing her hands behind her back taking in what he had said. Of course Jack meant the SGC, she would have been warned ahead of time if Anne had been replaced as the Stargate Program's Surgeon General, the only boss she really needed to be concerned with. "I do love the names you both have chosen, they honor the memory of those close to both of you."

Sophie looked up at her Mom, she only barely remembered a 'George', that of course would have been General Hammond, he passed away when she was only four. But the other name she didn't know. On the verge of asking her Mother, Kim placed a hand on her shoulder knowing what was coming. "I'll tell you later Honey." She said quietly.

"So General, Lou Ferretti is coming back and there's a new Commander on the base. I must say that was a quick turn around, AVM Fraser wasn't with us for more than a month." Not that she was bothered too much about it, Kim barely knew the woman. "Who is the new boss?" She glanced over at Jon, it was strange really as all his memories would have nothing but Air Force written all over them, with the occasional Marine thrown in. He was in for a rather big surprise to find not only personnel from other services, but people from over twenty nations there participating in the Stargate program. She voiced it aloud. "Jon you'll find more than a new commander when you get there. Let me put it this way, you'll be seeing a lot of different uniforms and hear a lot of strange accents."
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »

"Well, since you asked..." Jack replied, taking the pen and began looking for an empty spot, one that also was away from Jon's, because even she would probably spot the similarities in their handwriting.

You should see the other guy...-Jack

He gave Sophie back her pen and stood back up. There was one thing he needed to address straight off the bat, though...

"Alright, let's just leave off any more "sirs" while we're here. This is supposed to be a special occasion and I've had too many people remind me today of the real world." Jack said.

"If I heard Landry right, then the IOA pulled the trigger on moving Admiral Ian McRaven over. I wanted him heading up something completely different, but guess that's down the drain. Anyways, he's Navy, but he's a SEAL, was going to be heading up SOCOM. Bit by the book but he knows the score." Jack explained. He then looked at Jon, it was still so strange seeing what he looked like those many years ago, but in a Marine uniform. He had kept his word and stayed out of his duplicate's life for eight years, just keeping tabs on him as needed. Jack had hoped that he would have had time to figure things out, but there was no mistaking the tension in the air, either.

"Kim, Sophie, why don't you guys pop in to see Sam, George and Deb. I think Jon and I need to have a quick talk. Just to clear the air, we'll catch up." Jack suggested. He wasn't oblivious, and he knew that look. The same feeling he had when Sam had originally accepted Pete Shanahan's proposal for marriage, about a year after he and Jon parted ways.

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2018, 09:58:37 AM »

Jon wasn't much eager to have his social buffer disappear on him, but he knew this conversation had to happen.

More accents and uniforms, Kim said? Who else was on board with the SGC, besides the Russians? (And the Chinese and all the other talking heads at the IOA who'd been p*ssed off at being picked last on the playground.) He kept his questions to himself, because he'd find out soon enough.

Best get this conversation over with. Ripping off bandaids and other cliches.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 250
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2018, 12:39:06 AM »

"Sooo cool! Thanks Uncle Jack!" It wasn't quite a squeal but close when she looked at Jack's signing. Sophie was thrilled to be exact, her face said it all with those eyes as big as saucers. She had to stretch up to look at him when he stood, but happy for her moment she went back to Kim, grabbing her hand tightly. The pair of them listening intently to all Jack had to say, Sophie possibly more intent than her mother. She was sponge for the things she heard, often correcting her mother when something Kim might say wasn't quite right.

"So Si...Jack, we have another Navy commander then?" There were times in the most recent past when Kim and many others felt like the Navy and not just the US Navy was taking over the SGC. Anne MacGregor was the first in a long conga line of Naval personnel who had been put through the Stargate Program, not just officers either. Not that she minded really, they were after all fighting for the same cause. "So long as he doesn't start dispensing rum rations I'm fine." She knew that was the old British navy, though it was still a long standing joke among the other forces.

When there was no more to be said, Jack giving his grace for her and Sophie to see Sam and the babies, Kim tugged her daughter's hand in the direction of the ward. "I'll see you two later. And Jon, smile kiddo." That was it as she and her daughter disappeared down the corridor.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:44 AM »

"A Navy commander?" Jon raised his eyebrows at the Old Guy, unable to keep the skepticism out of his voice. He managed to flash Kim and Sophie a smile before they departed - and he remembered, suddenly, one of Carter's sharp and angry declamations about how she hated it when men told her to smile.

He knew Kim meant well, and it was better for Sophie if she didn't think anything was amiss.

And the kiddo was a reminder. He was a kid. He should act like it. Life had always been an act, one way or another.

"I've been gone longer than I thought. Any words of wisdom, sir?"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »

"Yes, Navy, but like I said, he's a SEAL. SEALs who make Admiral are a rare breed, like...some kind of rare bird. Okay, bad example, but the point is, if he was good enough to run all of the Special Forces units in the country, I think that's recommendation enough." Jack explained for both of them before Kim and Sophie went to see Sam. Jack poked his head into the adjacent room, where the lights had been off, since this wasn't a conversation even anyone who knew about the Program was going to be privy to. Secrets within secrets and whatnot, he thought to himself as he waved Jon to join him in the room and shut the door.

"...when it's just us, or us with people who know who you are, please stop calling me sir. It's just...weird." Jack said, "And don't let what Kim said intimidate you. The honeymoon wasn't going to last forever, sooner or later other people were going to want in, and trust me, it can be a real headache. Even with Hank Landry running the IOA now, those darn suits just make you want to go wacko. But the good news is that most of the kids we get, they're already combat veterans. So, that's better than some of the kids who came through back in the day." He paused for a moment.

"But that's not important right now. What is, however, is that look in your eye. And I know what it is, because I saw it in the mirror more than a few times about a year after Loki pulled his little Xerox stunt with us. Sam almost married a cop from Denver, I nearly lost her to someone else because of all the rules I've bent and broken, that rule somehow kept me back. I know we're not good with this, but I also know the two of us have enough eating away at us as it is. You're trying to be your own man, I get it, but you're not doing yourself any favors if you don't at least get out what you want to right now. So, screw the rules and regs, just say what you need to right now." Jack said.

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »

Being in a room behind a closed door with the man he'd once been, the man he could have become, was stranger than anything he'd ever done, stranger than walking through a stargate to an alien planet, stranger than having an Ancient database downloaded into his head.

Jon looked his other self in the eye. They were of a height again.

They knew things about each other that no one else knew, that no one should know, the kinds of things a man wouldn't even tell the love of his life.

"I am my own man. I've got just as many miles on me as you have on you -
 I'm just wearing it better. I don't know if you understand what it's like, being a man trapped in a child's body, but hey, I'm a man again, so...ooh-rah. We're two separate people. You have your life, and I have mine. You have a wife and children, I had a wife and a child. I'm not angry at you. I'm not jealous of you. We know better than anyone that this life, the universe -
 they're not fair. The rules changed in your favor. You got the girl. Good for you."

Jon offered up his patented smirk, the one that had driven his CO's crazy when he was coming up through the ranks the first time.

"Besides, in this new chassis, I have a way better chance with Mary Steenburgen or Uma Thurman than you ever did." Jon patted himself on the chest, winked.

Then he sobered. "Who else knows what I am? Other than another Walking Gene."

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2018, 02:22:57 AM »

Jack cracked a smile, he had expected this to go rather differently.

"I guess I had that coming, given I assumed a lot after you and I went our separate ways eight years ago. I just didn't want you to, y'know, deck me or something when we went in there." Jack said, "But I'll tell you something, this getting old stuff? It sucks. So you, you enjoy that youth of yours."

He paused for a moment, pondering Jon's question.

"I'm honestly not sure who is still even around that remembers. Jackson is off somewhere, and Teal'c is currently trying to get something resembling a government off the ground for the Jaffa. McRaven likely will know once he opens the emails intended for Fraser, but only in the broadest of terms, with very clear instructions to keep his mouth shut about it. I didn't want to blindside anyone when you suddenly knew a lot more than the average Marine should, but they don't need the details." Jack said. "By the way, how do you feel about Al Reynolds?"

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:45 AM »

"Despite all the time apart, you still know me better than anyone in the universe. Not gonna deck you because you got the girl and I didn't. I couldn't not looking like this. You're smart enough to know that. Besides, I got time to find something that'll work for me." Jon scrubbed a hand over the back of his neck. The conversation was simple, but not easy. "Albert Reynolds? Colonel Reynolds? Not Major anymore if he's still around. Started at Area 51, then we brought him in to SG-16, promoted him to leader of SG-3. What's he doing now? Or are you saying you're assigning me to his team?"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »

"To be fair, you didn't seem to have any trouble just from when I dropped you off at school, either." Jack commented. "But just as I know you, you know me. And you know how much Sam means to me. That said, you've made your point, and I'm glad you've found your own way."

"As for Reynolds, he commands SG-9 now. And since you're asking me that, you didn't read my letter. I'm offering you a slot on his team because, let's face it, with what you know, you'd do a lot more good with them then humping around Afghanistan or Iraq. I don't remember him being involved with what happened, so he likely doesn't know. It'd give you some time to get situated here, since SG-9's coming off a mission and onto leave, but I'd like to have you here." Jack said and then put up a hand, "And don't worry, I spend most of my time at the Pentagon these days. Or fishing at home...assuming the next phone call I get isn't that Anubis came back to steal all of my fish and beer." He almost sounded like he was serious that he was expecting it, and for Jack O'Neill, that was like the...third worst-case scenario.

Bluebell722

• Senior Master Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2018, 04:42:23 PM »

"I scanned the letter," Jon hedged, because he knew, and the Old Guy knew he knew, how the both of them had been Before, about memos. "And I'd be honored to be on SG-9. Reynolds is a stand-up guy."

At the comment about Anubis, a thought struck him.

He spoke a name he hadn't voluntarily spoken aloud in a long time.

"What ever happened to Ba'al? Did we blow that guy to hell?"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2018, 05:50:32 PM »

"Good. That takes care of that, then." Jack said on the subject of SG-9.

"Yeah. We killed him. A lot." Jack paused, before continuing, "It turns out that Loki wasn't the only one with a people photocopier, but he wasn't doing it to save anyone, he just did it to copy himself until he ran out of toner. We finally found the last one, the Tok'ra dealt with that one. It was a nice ceremony, I think. I fell asleep. If anyone ever asks you to go to a Tok'ra Extraction Ceremony...call out sick that day. It went on for hours before Jackson said he started recognizing any of his crimes. And we still had hours more to go." The Tok'ra didn't appreciate him suggesting that next time, they try just a summary instead of reading off all of his unpaid parking tickets or jaywalking fines.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

lethal-pageant