Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Atlantis: Base Commander's Office  (Read 11517 times)

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 228
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
Re: Atlantis: Base Commander's Office
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2018, 01:41:29 AM »

Elle stopped before she got too far, thought for a moment then took the chair again sitting down like a woman who had been doing housework all day. "Well." She looked up at him. "Do you want the BS version or the straight up Jack Daniels version? No don't answer that, I'll make a comparison for you. Remember back in 08 when we hit that Wraith forward base and I had to bail out. You know I was pretty peed off about that but it was you who came to my rescue, do you ever think about that?" She might as well dwell on the past as right now that was fairly much all she was doing most of the time. "Relieved John, relieved that now its all over it feel like that. That moment when you called out to me. It's over and while I know Mike isn't free and clear yet, at least for me I can start to get my act together again without worrying if I'm going to break down again. Does that make much sense to you?" There were moments, but it was far too soon to make the right assessment. "I'm doing okay for now. And thanks for asking by the way." She could at least afford him a smile which she did.

Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »

"Well, someone had to ask. Though I figure Woolsey is going to ask me my opinion about your mental state, so better I know what to say. Besides, I imagine you'll get your answer from that salty old guy you've got up on the boat with you." Sheppard replied with a shrug.

"On that, though. I can tell you what the IOA's going to say in this situation. They're going to say you've been quite obviously emotionally compromised by everything going on and they're going to want you to step down to recover. If you want my personal opinion, I'd say do it. If you don't, you're not going to have a single moment here to catch your breath." Sheppard said. It got him to think about what happened to Elizabeth, and how hard it hurt to realize they had lost her for good, but they had the Replicators to deal with at the same time.

"The Dreadnought will get a new commander, it'll still be there. But if you can't slow down while you've got the chance, you'll break under it. There was a time I wouldn't say this, where I'd say just keep driving on. I did it way more times than I can count, but let's just say maybe old age is starting to catch up to me. And face it; you're not going to get that chance if you turn them down." Sheppard added.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »

"These chairs are rather nice by the way." She was trying to avoid the inevitable, of course Elle knew only too well how the wheels turned against you, ran over you then backed up again to see what that bump was the had just hit.

"I've grounded my fair share of people who had been emotionally challenged John you know that. Blake on the Daedalus under my command as CAG; the dear John letter and all that. It's hard to deal with enough with our jobs so its only natural that our personal mind state will interfere with what we are charged to do. Listen..." Elle ran her fingers through her hair which effectively loosened her service bun. "..bugger. Anyway as I we're not emotionless robots, the IOA can think whatever it likes I really don't care about them, nor do many in our shoes. But I will say this John, I know my position and I know already it's been compromised so if the decision is made I'll go quietly and accept it. I do ask one favor though, whoever steps into my size eights, they'll need help adjusting to the Dread. She isn't like the 304's and she takes a lot of hard work, they'll need help and you have spent quite a bit of time on her now so I couldn't think of anyone better to mentor my replacement."
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »

"Well..." Sheppard trailed off for a moment, "I mean, I'm not sure you'd be completely done for. I just think it's going to be that you'll have to step back. Maybe take a desk job at Fleet Command back home. Caldwell probably will need someone with your experience around the office. Yeah, we talk about how 9-5 with weekends off is for chumps, but as far as we've gone, I think a little time working banker's hours is good to unwind. I mean, if it were me, a possible bright side is that I can go somewhere to hit golf balls into something other than a giant ocean."

"I'm sure you can work something out with the IOA and Fleet Command about setting up your successor. But if they refuse, you're leaving her with a good crew, mostly. You seem to have a good CAG, and your Master Chief is alright." Sheppard said in classic understatement, he actually developed a respect for the old SEAL. "I'm not super impressed by your XO. As absent as she was, I would've thought your Master Chief was the XO, so you may want to either kick her into gear or get the IOA to replace both of you. If the Dreadnought is going to be hanging out here for a while, I don't think she's got what it takes to win this fight." As much as Sheppard was a black sheep in the military, he knew one of the piles of complaints against him was that he wasn't around.

"Go home, spend time with Mike, enjoy the weekends off, and once everything has leveled off, you can take a swing at another command." Sheppard concluded.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »

Elle raised an eyebrow, the man knew her well enough. "Me flying a desk? Come on John that is about as likely as Ronon getting a hair cut, even if you told him to, he'd simply give you the middle finger." Her face broke into a decent smile though. "Now time with Mike I can do, neither of us have taken leave for over year now and apart from the fact I have over nine weeks accrued I don't think, or at least I hope I won't need all of it. Mike will be given leave, we know that much as he falls into the same category as if we were wounded; he'll need crutch for a while and as he only has me and his boat, well you get the picture. Besides the more I think about it, if they don't ask me to stand down soon I'll be telling them in any case I need to be."

Like any good sailor in a wind she changed tack. "Aria will be replaced, I've already put that in motion. For while she is a good pilot, her executive skills are seriously lacking and that isn't always something everyone has a natural gift for. As for my potential replacement, they'll go through the lists of the most qualified, which narrows it down to five or six of us who did the initial work up trials on type. So when I do come back I want to know the paint hasn't been scratched." Golf, now there was something she could unwind with, her old man was a keen golfer in his day, passing that pursuit onto all three kids. Granted she hadn't played a game since she was on the Stuart so many years ago; but it was like riding a bike. "So we done now? I could do with a coffee and some waffles how about you?"
Far Dareis Mai

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2018, 08:24:47 PM »

Time Jump now in effect September 26th 2011, 0730 am

Please read this post
Far Dareis Mai

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #261 on: July 25, 2018, 02:58:05 AM »

McKay

*radio*  Jumper bay.

Woolsey, Mckay, we need another jumper, now"

Followed a few minutes later by

"Cancel that request, but have it standby, I like to err on the side of caution"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:25:10 PM by Teddy »

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:03 PM »

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Richard mumbled when his rear end hit the chair behind his desk. He let McKay wait for what he thought might suffice as the right amount of time before replying. "There are twelve of them Doctor McKay, any particular one you'd like reserved? Pick a number and I'll have Amelia paint your name on it." He was rarely a sarcastic person, though lately he's had some very good mentors on the subject.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #263 on: July 28, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »

McKay

"You can do that?"

Then a light  went on in Rodney's head

"Oh, I see, you were being sarcastic, well, number five will suffice"

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:19:46 AM by Teddy »

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2018, 01:05:36 AM »

"I can't believe Rodney is making such a chore out of just going out to shoot at a shield in the middle of nowhere to make sure the the anti-Vanir Shield...thing even works." Sheppard commented as he closed the door behind him. "Actually, I take that back. I can believe it."

"Anyways, you got a sec? A couple things I wanted to go over with you before all hell breaks loose." Sheppard asked.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »

"Just a minute Colonel." Richard sometimes wondered how on Earth, or more rightly how on Atlantis, Doctor McKay got any further each day than the mere act of waking up in the morning. "Take it from me Doctor, I can do almost anything sarcasm aside. I'll inform someone that number five is on hold if required."

"Now you were saying Colonel? Are we expecting the bowels of Hades to open at any moment?" Now all he needed was for Todd to come calling; which really wouldn't be all that bad given the conversations Richard has had lately.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 05:20:29 PM by Ellen_Ripley »

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »

"I didn't check my daily planner to see when that was going to happen. They said they could fit in the end of days around Thursday, though." Sheppard said, "But I had a couple proposals from Lieutenant Hanley that I'm signing off on if you're okay with them."

"First of all, she wants us to release an abandoned part of the city, a couple floors and varied design, for using as training. No live-fire, just Intars at the most. She said it's more likely Vanir tech will resemble architecture here than on anything we have. It'd help train up Security and other personnel, and I think we can afford to give them the space to set it up." Sheppard started.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »

"Advance notices of any impending disasters are always handy aren't they Colonel?" When did that ever happen, the only thing Richard could ever recall was his sister's divorce, everyone but her saw it coming months before the event. He didn't have to think twice about the request either. "Make it so Colonel, just try and keep unnecessary personnel away from that area, that's all I can ask."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »

*Intercom*

"Mr Woolsey, Colonel Sheppard, we have a proximity alarm for a Wraith ship in our area sirs."
Far Dareis Mai

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #269 on: August 03, 2018, 01:04:28 AM »

"Probably Todd. Or Rhiase. I'd rather it was Todd, Rhiase's negotiation skills are garbage. And Dreadnought's Chief would rather see her put in the ground. Said she was worse, in his book, than Manuel Noriega." Sheppard commented with a dark grunt.

"I'll cut the second proposal to the bare bones; Mako's good but Hanley admits that they're..."the pipe hitters" as she put it, around here. We only are going to deploy them when the situation calls for heavy firepower and experts. She wants to rotate one team member onto AR teams when they go off-world as a tagalong, get some time doing the stuff we do. They're all combat veterans, they're probably better versed than O'Neil in some ways." Sheppard paused, "And my contribution is that I want Hanley going with my team as much as possible. Even with one person rotating out, that leaves 4 SEALs ready to rock and roll if we need them. As for why I want her around, I think she's genuine about learning all she can, and I want her to show me without being pressured to measure up to O'Neil in the process."

Sheppard had nothing against O'Neil in the least bit, but she spent most of her career here on Atlantis, whereas Mako were all long time veterans of the SEALs, and more over, they had all seen plenty of operations before they were even allowed in. It also didn't hurt that they were all DEVGRU (aka SEAL Team Six). That meant they were all "Tier One" rated, the absolute best of the best, called in to handle the worst of the worst.

Chief Hunter's request still rang true with him, and Sheppard knew all too well what it was like to be told you didn't measure up to someone else's standards. It was what caused him to join the Air Force in the first place, after all. Hanley had proven herself long ago, but had O'Neil held in her face as an example her entire time since she started BUD/S, and Sheppard knew that sort of thing didn't shake easily. There wasn't any sign of animosity, but he intended to keep it that way.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19