Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Atlantis: Cafeteria  (Read 8307 times)

Staff-Team

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Staff-Team A new starter.
  • I think, thus I am.
Atlantis: Cafeteria
« on: June 06, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »

| Eat in or take out. You can enjoy a fantastic view in the safety of the indoors or take a risk on the balcony and enjoy the sea air |

Sub-Sections:
- Balcony
- Dining Area
- Food Tables
- Kitchens
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:53:15 PM by Mandi »

MeredithMcKay

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • MeredithMcKay Thumb turning green.MeredithMcKay Thumb turning green.
Re: Cafeteria
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:40:22 AM »

{Dr. Giulia "Juliet" Montale}

It was a nice warm morning, with a gentle breeze blowing upon the ocean, the perfect time to take a break and enjoy a coffee on the balcony.... except for the fact that Giulia never learnt to enjoy that brown liquid stuff that the Americans called coffee!
She poured herself a cup of tea and took a seat on the balcony, and started gazing at the horizon.
Life in the labs was much quieter without the big bosses around: no catastrophic emergencies, no daily accidents, no rantings from the usual Mckay... the most crytical activities have been put on standby until at least one between Rodney and Radek were back from their mission to the Milky way, and what was left of dr Markham's team was just performing routine systems checks and doing a lot of paperwork, mostly the boring ones....
It's nice, though, having so much room in the Engineering lab. And the lack of explosions and flying sparks is even nicer! I can even enjoy a good reading once in a while... She tought, a wide smile on her face.

Still smiling, Juliet started sipping her tea and took out a bulky fantasy novel, and looked for the bookmark.
"So, where was I?"

" Just because I was born for a purpose does not mean I have to resign myself to that fate."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 228
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

"It's always something around this place isn't it?" Melinda said to herself as she picked up her tray. She looked down at it, wrinkled her nose and turned away looking for a table somewhere. Scrambled eggs, toast, orange juice and a fruit compote. That was her standard breakfast most days and today wasn't any different. Some days she would have cereal as well, but not today, she thought she could shed a few kilos and somehow in her mind, sugary cereal was off the list for now.

Turing around twice, her eyes fell on the balcony, it was bright and sunny, just the thing to cheer her mood. There was one other there, so perhaps a little company would do her good. After talking to Cameron Mitchell about that planet, he didn't sound all that positive about her request, so naturally that soured the begining of another day. "Mind if I join you Julia?" She asked, taking a position near the railing. Yesterday she saw her first passing of those whale creatures, hopefully she might see them again.
Far Dareis Mai
Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

MeredithMcKay

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:34:54 AM »

Giulia was just starting to enjoy a nice reading, when another woman approached and attempted to start a conversation.
Hmpf, it'll take a year to finish it this way... But at least she doesn't seem to have noticed exactly what I'm reading! she thought, and quickly closed the book and tried to hide the title: stories of wizards and elves didn't look good on a 28 years old scientist engaged in top class researches...
"Actually, it's Giulia, or Juliet, not Julia" She said, a bit annoyed: three months and still most people couldn't spell  her name properly. Then it occurred to her that she had never met that woman; Juliet didn't have many friends outside her department, but decided that this was as good as any other moment to make a new one.
"But no, I don't mind, Doctor....?"

" Just because I was born for a purpose does not mean I have to resign myself to that fate."

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

{Colonel Cameron Mitchell}

<<From Woolsey's Office>>

Of late, Cam had taken to muttering to himself, a little near forty eight hours on Atlantis, two missions with Ronon and Teyla and two missions with a third leg who for some reason or another received an injury. The first, Lieutenant Kline, twisted her ankle, the second, Sergeant Mifsud, jammed his index finger in the breach of his weapon. It was as if the Gods were telling Cam something, but at least Woolsey had been sympathetic and allowed this little foray to go ahead. He of course lied just a little, making the suggestion in the first place to the young Danish doctor.

Knowing exactly where to find her, she naturally told him that if all went well, Cam headed straight for the Cafe' and was mildly surprised to find Juliet there as well. "They say good things happen in threes." He said casually as he approached them on the balcony. "Doctors, its not a coincidence is it, that I've found you both here. Doctor Olofsson, Woolsey said yes. Juliet, I know you're gonna hate me, but I just volunteered you for a little adventure." He took a seat with them, a satisfied if somewhat feral grin on his face.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:23 PM »

One couldn't help but notice the embarrassment on both women's faces. Juliet because somehow she must have felt someone had caught her out reading something that maybe she shouldn't have been, which of course was silly, Melinda saw the title along the edge of the book. Lord of the Rings. That made her smile, her own favorite novel of all time and just about everything else JRR Tolkein wrote as well. On her own part, Mel was red faced because once again she got someone's name wrong; serve herself right for spending most of her time on the mainland, other than when she was needed for a critter problem off world somewhere. "Sorry, I was in fact reading Julia Bradbury's 'Walks of Europe' not an hour ago." It was true, but still a lame excuse considering their labs are only separated by a few metres. "Doctor? Oh hell no, just call me Mel, or Lin, either way. Melinda Oloffson, Life Sciences. Although I guess the Doctor comes with the territory doesn't it?" She was a vet after all, mammals being her speciality, all of them. More so the great apes and cetapods.

Mel slid in beside the other woman, placing her tray carefully on the table, now it had no interest as her appetite just went sailing into the wind; the thought of what might be 'out there' pulling at her. Her mouth was open to speak again when Colonel Mitchell arrived. "You're joking surely Colonel? You mean Woolsey went for it?" That in itself was amazing, Mel knew the two of them didn't see eye to eye. But then he mentioned Juliet in the same breath, why? Oh, yes, that great honking old space ship just happened to be on the same planet. Now both her and the Colonel were grinning.
Far Dareis Mai

MeredithMcKay

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:27:26 AM »

Giulia noticed the embarassed expression on the face of the blonde woman, and didn't bought for a second her lame excuse; she wasn't really angry with her, people mispelled her name so often, and she was not the only member of the expedition that was having that kind of problem, but she would rather accept a simple "sorry" than a lame excuse: she was straightforward, not arrogant. She stretched her arms and legs and replied
"Yeah, whatever... Please, have a seat, Melinda. So, Life Science, uh? Now I see why I've never met you...." Biology, and other subjects involving slimy stuff, always had little, if none, appeal on Juliet since she was a teenager, and she never set foot on those labs.

No time to start even a casual conversation, and she was interrupted by Colonel Mitchell himself and his litte secret agenda.
Her eyes widened, and she scratched her head confused, because she had no clue what both he and dr Olofsson where talking about, but one thing she caught: it wasn't going to be that nice....
"And I was just wondering how quiet and calm life had become without most of the bosses around, and now I'm voluonteered to join an unknown offworld mission?!"
She sighed dejected, but she raised her head a bit allarmed when she noticed the grin on his face.
"Wait, have you just volounteered me for some kind of suicide mission like the ones you guys from the first team do all the time and when someone else attempts to join he's surely killed in no time in a terrible way??

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ellen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has AscendedEllen_Ripley Has Ascended
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »

Cam placed his hand upon Juliet's shoulder in a measure of reassurance. "Don't panic Doc. AR9 has spent almost three weeks there and with Zelenka no less. Nothing more than a few small critters, some birds and a lot of trees." He nodded to Olofsson.  "He did, on the proviso we take two Marines. The planet has been classified non hostile and in that, marked for open research, the reason I put your name in the hat was simply because I thought you'd be mad at me if I didn't. Seeing that ship there was carbon dated at around five thousand years old."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:54:15 PM by Mandi »

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »

The last thing Melinda wanted right now was bad vibes and she could see the woman was put of by a lapse of good grace. Something that Mel should have been more aware of, given her background, not including though her short foray into the backstreet gangs of Copenhagen. "Mi dispiace davvero Giulietta, mi perdoni?" She said in her rather awkward Italian, hoping to smooth things over some. But then, for the moment, she would have to see; Cam's little speech would have to be weighed in Juliet's mind before anything happened.

"Some of my work is in your field in fact. I have to conjur up my own mechanical devices at times to hold broken limbs and so forth." In the last little while, Mel had become quite the toolmaker, deivising things with anything she could find. Cam's last statement though left her shivering with excitement. "Five thous.....?"

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:01:05 PM by MelsMum »
Far Dareis Mai

MeredithMcKay

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

"You really want me to work on that?!" Juliet face turned from alarm to excitement when she understood what Cam was asking of her. She knew Radek had spent months studying that impressive piece of technology, and it was like nothing they had ever encountered before. Not that he actually involved her in that job, but he wasn't the kind of scientist that like to keep his work secret and never admits he could use some help from his own colleagues. She greatly admired him for this, and was so grateful she ended up working with him instead of McKay: after all, she and Rodney started arguing on her very first day in the Pegasus Galaxy, and she feared that she would've been sent back home if it wasn't for Zelenka and Markham....

"So, Colonel, when are we supposed to leave?" she said, and she stood up before he even got a chance to reply. " 'Cause I'll need to take a look at Dr.Zelenka's notes, first...."
Her brain was already in motion, thinking about everything she needed to do before embarking on that adventure, and it was so active on that task that Juliet actually forgot to notice how surprisingly good was dr. Olofsson's Italian.

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »

He had to admit it, Cam was one of those number who was of the opinion, young Olofsson got her position because of who she was, not what she was. Any number of brilliant scientists could have filled her role, why they accepted her and a Veterinary Surgeon at that, was beyond him. At least though, he had to give her this much, after reading her file, she appeared to be somewhat more diplomatic than the said file told him. Plus Sheppard seems to have written well of her, so hopefully she won't be a pain in the neck. Juliet on the other hand was genuinely excited at the proposition, that was good. "All I need to do is round up a couple of Marines and we're good to go. If you need any special equipment to bring along, now would be a good time to retrieve it."

Cam stood, arched his back to relieve that little nag there he was getting lately, looked at them both, they would appear to be suited to working together, similar inquiring minds. "Woolsey has Doctor Zelenka's report still on his table, I'd see him before either of you leave. Good day ladies, I'll join you both in the gate room in say thirty minutes."

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »

Getting a good feeling about the whole thing, Melinda finally worked up a smile, a half one at least. The little field trip, and that was all it was as far as she was concerned, no Wraith, no Genii or Vanir; nothing nasty to upset her stomach, plus she was always ready, bags packed for any mission. "I think he does." She nudged Juliet gently. "Colonel, I only need to change, my only wish was that Ronon Dex and Teyla could accompany us, yet I believe they are still busy with that Athosian thing. Juliet, since we share at least the same hallway, we should keep each other company to our labs and back don't you?" The truth was, Melinda was getting quite tired of being alone, something that had changed since John went home.
Far Dareis Mai

MeredithMcKay

• Second Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »

Download Radek's notes, pack up scanners, tablet, equipment, change uniform, grab gear.... Lots of thing to do!
"Thirty minutes are not much time, but I'll make it in time." Juliet said quickly, her mind racing to plan what needed to be done.
Walking out of the mess hall, she stopped at Dr. Olofsson proposal: she wasn't that thrilled of that, she didn't like that much how that woman acted like she wanted to be best buddies with someone who was a perfect stranger just one hour ago. In Juliet's mind, friendships begin slower and more cautiously than that.... But she had a point, their labs were quite close, it would have been awkward to just ignore each other while going the same way.
"Sounds fine to me, but you'd better get moving, 'cause I've got a lot of things to do, and not much time."

>> to Engineering lab>>
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:50:48 AM by Urania »

Ellen_Ripley

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:02:53 PM »

"For what we are doin Doc, more than enough time." Cam said in reply. He never could figure out why women seemed hell bent on taking forever to get ready for something so simple. But then, he knew one or two men who could match them.

<<Cam to gate room>>

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:12 PM »

Thirty minutes? What did the man expect of them. Melinda huffed a little, sprang out of her chair, took a look at her food and shrugged, she would have to rely on snacks, and there would be plenty of those in her pack today; since she was likely to encounter something, an animal hopefully and that meant having plenty to entice them with. Something she learned well in her Uni days. "I'm not standing around. Come on, I don't like having men tell us at some point 'What took you so long'."

<<To Life Sciences Lab>>
Far Dareis Mai
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15