Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: The Mainland  (Read 8135 times)

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
Re: The Mainland
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

"Hmm. Maybe if we had two firing at once. But good to know. Alright, let's try the Fifty Cal now, and then we'll try something with the grenade launchers. Then we'll pack it in, unless either of your Docs want to try out my SCAR." She said, referring to the Mk. 17 still on her back. She headed over to the large bolt action rifle on the tarp. removing the Mk. 17 from her back to set it aside.

"Oh. You guys are totally going to want your ear protection for this. And yeah, you will feel the shockwave from this going off. Won't blow you away but may give you a weird feeling in your gut for a second. It's pretty cool." Michelle said with an even wider grin before she turned her cap around backwards and pulled her ear protection back on.

She laid down prone with the rifle, picking up one of the large 5 round magazines and rocked it into place. Then she worked the bolt forward to cycle a round into the chamber, rotating the bolt handle down to lock the bolt into position, and pulled the rifle into her shoulder.

After that, she peered through the powerful Leopuld scope, putting the crosshairs on the target. At this range, the shot was child's play for her and this rifle. The Canadians used it in Afghanistan to land shots out to 2430 meters, the longest recorded sniper kill from 2002 to 2009 when a British corporal with an L115A3 in .338 Lapua Magnum hit out to 2475 meters. And one day, she hoped to get on that list too. Better still if she topped the 1920m shot by a certain Chief Petty Officer peer of hers...

She thumbed the safety off and took in a breath, letting it out slowly as she pulled her finger back to the break weight of the McMillan rifle...

Even Ronon was impressed by the massive report from the rifle. It was almost like a small explosion, and he did feel the shockwave of it, and just like she said, it was a weird sensation in his gut area mostly. He was going to have to ask Sheppard where all these good weapons were hiding from him, clearly humans had a better understanding of firepower than he had given them credit for...

The massive .50 BMG round hit the shield, and there was a noticeable ripple, but surprising still was that the shield didn't stop the bullet, rather it absorbed the impact and tried to act against the velocity to stop it. It was much easier to see with the larger round, and through the scope, Michelle could see the round trying to force its way through, before it got through but fell well short with most of its energy depleted.

Michelle opened the bolt but did not cycle a second round in. Instead, she removed her ear protection and looked up at Zelenka.

"Did you see that? That's why energy weapons are more effective, I think that thing is trying to actually stop the bullet. That'd explain the lack of any sort of ricochet or deflection, I bet if you guys had looked when that Vanir had attacked, you'd find every single round Sheppard and the others fired all over the floor."

"That's not news, is it?" Ronon asked.

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Reputation Power: 275
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
  • I am so good at driving people nuts!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2018, 11:05:47 PM »

*Radio*

"Doors are open Doctor McKay, you are clear to land."

@Teddy

Life is a dream — that knows no shade.
Life is a dream — of pain and woe.
A dream from which — we pray to wake.
A dream from which — we wake and go

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »

Zelenka

Radek moved a little closer to the force shield and looked around it

"Yes yes, you are correct, it appears to cushion the ammunition as opposed to deflection, so,  continuous firing from our...He was about to use the name that McKay had given the weapon and stopped himself"....I will not use that stupid name,  but the  hybrid should help clear a path for the bullets"

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 96
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »

Reese watches in disbelief.  She had never seen anything quite like the weapons Michelle was demonstrating.  "Wow! I've never seen anything like those before." She didn't want to think about the damage they could do.  As a doctor that was always her first concern.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »

"Well. I think that was the most informative part about this. Assuming we can get enough of those attached to our weapons, we should be in good shape. Armor itself isn't a problem, but I'd say we probably have all the data we're going to get." Michelle said, standing up.

"So. Hey. How are we getting back with the ship gone?" Ronon asked.

"...oh for the love of...he's right. We're gonna need a beam over or someone has to send him back here." Michelle replied.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »

McKay

Zelenka

*radio*

Radek, Shepperd is sending a jumper for you, I want you to get back here and  finish the weapon off, it shouldn't take long, I've done most of the work"

*radio*

"Understood Rodney"

He turned to Ronon
"Well, that seems to be sorted now"

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »

"I guess so." Ronon said with a shrug, before glancing to Michelle, "Can I..."

"Oh, yeah, knock yourself out." Michelle replied. While Michelle still watched the shield, Ronon spent the time firing the remaining .50BMG rounds that she had brought along. By that time, the Jumper landed.

Once settled down, Sheppard lowered the ramp and made his way out to rejoin the others.

"...bring enough weapons, Lieutenant?" Sheppard asked.

"Had to do some proper science, sir." Michelle replied with a bit of a grin.

"I like the way she does science. I thought you said it was all just a lot of math and big words." Ronon commented, already loading some of the weapons into the Jumper.

"That is not science, Chewie. Also, who brought a Fifty Cal?" Sheppard asked. Michelle's eyes practically lit up when Sheppard threw out Ronon's nickname.

"She wanted to see what it did with the shield. Pretty cool. Also, my gun still tops what you humans have, so I'd say I learned a lot." Ronon quipped.

"Yes, sir. Very informative information. Thanks to Doctor Zalenka for making sure we have some valuable data and Doctor Prescott for keeping us from getting hurt." Michelle said, "Also, sir, did you call him Chewie? As in Chewbacca? As in..."

"Yeah. But only I get to call him that. Because...well, I said so." Sheppard said, helping to load the remaining gear aboard the Jumper.

"You can call me that too. I don't get it, but figure since you let me shoot your rifle, fair's fair." Ronon said with a grin.

It was clear that the SEAL was about half a second away from making a "squee" noise, being a huge sci-fi nerd herself. She and Deuce would drive the rest of Mako absolutely nuts talking over lore for hours on end, to say nothing of the various American and Greek teams they had already driven insane doing so back at Souda Bay.

"Yeah, well, I didn't just come to play soccer mom because I was bored. Rhiase and Todd are in orbit to meet with us aboard the Dreadnought. Radek, you're going to take over for Rodney since I'm grabbing him. Ronon, Hanley, and Reese, you're with me. I want you guys sitting in for obvious reasons. Hanley since you're taking point on the tactical matters, Reese since you're Medical, Rodney because he needs to present the new weapon info, and Ronon because I don't like Rhiase." Sheppard explained.

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 96
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »

Reese blinked in shock.  "Seriously? He took the jumper?" She shook her head a bit.  That didn't seem right at all.

Before she could really complain though a jumper showed up with Sheppard at the helm.  And Chewie? Now she was confused.  Of course she hadn't worked with any of them much.  She nodded a bit as she listened to Sheppard.  "Of course, sir.  I'll be there. "

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • Captain
« Reply #143 on: September 02, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »

"Alright, let's get going. We'll pick up Rodney and head straight up there. We'll leave the firepower behind, though." Sheppard said.

"My day was going so well, right up until you said her name. You sure I can't bring one of these?" Michelle asked as she took a seat up near the front.

"I don't get why we're dealing with her. They're going to make us do all the fighting, Sheppard. Just like with the Replicators." Ronon commented, heading up to the cockpit.

"Yeah, well, you can bring that up to her, then." Sheppard said. He waited for the others to get on board before closing the ramp and flying back to Atlantis.

>To Atlantis Jumper Bay>

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
  • Mim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has AscendedMim Has Ascended
    • My Facebook
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »

>>From Atlantis>>

Keeping up the flow of conversation Mel was a mistress of multi-tasking. "As you can see once you have mastered it, which takes very little time it is quite easy. Just, as I said keep your focus on what you are doing."

Taking the ship far past the Athosian settlement Melinda headed south, over snow capped mountains and deep blue rivers until they came to a plains are surrounded by rich forests and grasslands. "Corporal, I did put in a proposal for individual nose art on the Jumpers like that had in World war two, naturally Mr Woolsey said no." It would have been funny, she had some nice motifs in mind. "Very well then, what exactly are we looking for?" She asked.

@DanielRyder @Shadowlord @Veteran52

Veteran52

• Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

Cooper had been thinking about a site for the Tamorans and the fact that this was a great adjustment for them and that there should be a continuity as concerning their life-style.  He had also realized that he had been quick to put out ideas and suggestions, without discussing it with his team members.  So, framing his words carefully, he said:"If I may frame a possible answer to the question, I believe that the Tamorans would probably be best served by renewing their life-style and the daily routines they have followed for centuries!  If we have data on their life-style and some idea of how they lived, which I believe we do, our search for a site could be more quickly realized. Access to water and graze for their animals, wood and other building materials should be within a given radius, so that their homes may be built in the most efficient manner.  Bottom line is, that as soon as they can get back to their daily lives, the better off they will be and we will have succeeded in helping our new friends."  Cooper surveyed the faces of his team and hoped they would consider his approach, but improvements could always be made to any plan..he grinned.

Shadowlord

• Major
  • Reputation Power: 38
  • Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.Shadowlord has a powerful will.
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2018, 04:54:43 AM »

“Forgive me if this is wrong but are we sure this is what the Tamorans want?” John asked bringing up a point that was on his mind.

“I mean, I’m just saying, if I knew that there was a lot more going on then my farming village I would probably want to find out more.” John could never imagine simply going back to a normal life on Earth after this.

“Just seems weird to me they are so interested in sticking to their old ways.”

DanielRyder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!DanielRyder is awe-inspiring!
  • I already lost one captain. I won't lose another
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2018, 10:59:41 PM »

Jon watched Mel pilot the puddle jumper out of the dock and over the base toward the mainland. He observed her steady hands on the controls and listened to her instructions. Her voice sounded pretty. With a nod, Jon watched as they neared their destination over the mainland. As the Co pilot, Jon kept up pretty well flying second.

He sighed thinking on what his commanding officer wanted for the Tamorans. It wasn't something he had to question. Rather, it was something that had to be obeyed and carried out to the letter. Turning slightly to sit across the chair, he placed his elbow on his knee and massaged his forehead with his hand. While processing his thoughts, he listened to his teammates.

He sighed looking at Cooper and shrugged, "I am sure someone thought of that before we got here. It's a good suggestion, but I'm assuming its all drawn out. The Tamorans don't know where they are going, but the Athosians do. By their data and comparing with the Atlantis base personnel, a possible site may have been discovered. Right now, we are just scouting for the area as stated by our commander."

Jon added to reply to Valentine's comment, "It is weird, but I don't question it. We don't judge. We are soldiers. We do what we are commanded to without question, even if it seems odd. We can get into a debate over this on our off duty at some point, but not now. Now, we're just scouting out a possible area."

Looking at both, the XO gave his final response, "Look, just follow my lead. We'll find something for the Tamorans. If they don't like it, its up to us to help them ease to it. It's never easy moving from one old place to a new place. Even I know that from experience."

Slightly, he shuddered at a flashback he received and looked at the viewscreen again. From there, he noted what Melinda looked at briefly and pointed, "There, right here. Looks like a good place to land." He was excited, but kept his cool in a professional manner in front of his mates. No reason to get all worked up.

Jon noted that they would land exactly on the clear spot near the forest. It seemed like a good clearing where the base came for the Tamorans would be.
I'm Daniel. It means, uh, "God is my judge" ~ Daniel Jackson. Upgrades S4E3 - StargateSg1

Ryder means Mounted Warrior or Messenger

Character List

Mim

• Administrator
  • Brigadier General
    • My Facebook
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »

"We don't interfere with any civilizations wishes Corporal, I'm quite sure at the appropriate time in their lives as they trade with us and the Athosians, as they are more exposed to what we can offer them they might seek to improve their life standards. We won't be pushing our own agenda onto them." Melinda wasn't normally one to give lectures, yet she was one to follow orders to the letter. Their task was simple, find something that might in the highest probability suit these people, after all Atlantis is responsible in many ways for moving them. Better that than leaving them to their fate.

Before taking Jon's advice Mel turned her head slightly to speak to the Chief. "I believe the only data we have on them is what the Dreadnought teams found on meeting them. We did not know this race until a very few short days ago nor was their world in our data bases; we can only go on the guidance given to us by their leader and Teyla Emmaggan. Which when you consider they are a agrarian and semi nomadic race as I understand we shouldn't have too much trouble."

"I see it Lieutenant, good call." Banking the Jumper over the young Dane smoothly brought the little ship down to swoop over the terrain midway between the river and foothills searching for a reasonably flat area to land. After a full minute, she chose a suitable site, setting down smoothly. The rear door opened soon after that with the smell of grasslands and a cool breeze waffling in. "Refreshing. Okay then Lieutenant this is your mission now I would suggest getting some grass and vegetation samples, while one you scout for any possible threatening animal life. We should also look for things further up towards the mountains such as caves, they will need shelter while they rebuild." Melinda started handing out large ziplock plastic bags so the samples could be kept fresh. She would need to compare those with the fodder they had on the Hermes brought from Tamora.

@Veteran52 @Shadowlord @DanielRyder
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:28:50 PM by Mim »

Veteran52

• Staff Sergeant
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.Veteran52 is working their way up.
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »

"Doc, I'll head up into the foothills,pretty much my m.o...Danged Afghanistan and Terri Tali, they loved their hills.   Reaching for one of the radios, Cooper grinned and said.."I'll need to take one of these to keep in touch with the team.    Looking out the ramp, Cooper adjusted his pack and re-slung his sniper rifle and stepped out towards the beckoning hills.

After about a brisk 30 mike hikem Cooper stood on a ridge that looked out into another valley.  The land was lush for mountainous topography, so water was available,plenty of graze for the Tamorans animals too.  The terrain was stark in places but with water, arable ground and plenty of wood for building, Cooper agreed that this could be an ideal place.

{On the radio:Cooper}
"Lieutenant Agathon, I'm heading up into another small valley,an extension of the one I just reconned.I believe that Ive spotted a couple of openings into the mountain..looks like a cave entrance!  The land up here is lush, so water isn't a problem and the animals have plenty of graze.  There are stands of woods, so building supplies are plentiful.  Seems to me that this would be a good place for the Tamorans, ...Cooper..out!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:54:36 PM by Mim »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

lethal-pageant