Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: The Mainland  (Read 5410 times)

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
Re: The Mainland
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »

McKay

Radek ran out of the way and stood next to the jumper

McKay watched as he ran past, saying nothing

"It should, with continuous fire, be able to punch thro the shield no problem, the combined power of Earth weapon    and the  Vankulaff,..I just thought up that name  He grinned and chuckled quickly, looking smugly at everyone......     .....should take out the suit as well, there might be a bit of a kick to it, but that can't be helped, we didn't have time to sort that out..soooo....
He swung the top half of his body to look at Michelle

"You may commence"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:17:34 PM by Teddy »

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
  • "Yo buddy, still alive?"
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:29 AM »

"Okay, everyone, this includes you, Doctor Prescott. Everyone think up a better name for this thing before we get back, or it goes in my report as Master Blaster." Michelle said, "Clear. Lane is hot." She called out, mostly as a precaution. No one was standing ahead of her, but instinct and training still told her to call out as such.

The first problem wasn't the device's recoil, that was well overstated by Rodney. But trying to use it along her rifle while maintaining a grip was causing shots to go wide from it. She twisted the rifle to the side, recalling seeing something from an old Nintendo 64 game like this, and the shots were more in line. As soon as the first couple blasts hit the shield, she followed up with semi-automatic fire from her Mk. 17.

There was a satisfying ping as the heavy 7.62mm NATO rounds hit their target, which stopped after the fifth round and the rounds started to be stopped by the shield again. Repeating the process, she twisted the rifle to the side, shot the shield with the device, and popped another four rounds. This went on until all 20 rounds were expended from the SCAR.

Ronon watched with arms crossed, the rifle having a much more satisfying report than the other weapons he saw usually used by the humans. He wasn't really all that sold on the tan color of the rifle, and it seemed to be thrown together from hard angles at the front but the stock was more rounded, and kind of reminded him of a boot. But from the sound of it as Michelle fired it, and she seemed to have it well under control, it seemed to have a lot more kick, but he only counted 20 shots. So it had far fewer rounds held in it too.

Michelle kept her position as she gingerly ejected the magazine, taking care not to let her palm hit the mag. She almost reached for another mag when she shook her head, instead thumbing the bolt release to slam the bolt back forward into battery without a round in the chamber. Keeping the rifle pointed down range, she pulled the trigger to dry fire it, with just a *click* before lowering it.

"Range clear, line is cold." She said. She then stepped from the firing line to approach Rodney and Radek.

"The blast itself seems to give about a five to eight second window. I was being deliberate in my aim, but you could get a good couple bursts from a P90 or M4 with that. Even this thing I could probably burst fire and get more than if I went for semi-auto. But does it have to be arm mounted? I feel like the possibility of accidental discharge during like reloading or swapping weapons is a problem." Michelle said. Her tone was no longer so bemused or sarcastic, it was now very serious and analytical.

"This is kind of why I wanted to go with just an Intar-style ammo, but the ergonomics are the real problem here. Maybe we should re-mount this to weapons like the Kull Disruptor, but you can still use the trigger setup like you've got here. Run a trigger line down to the grip of the weapon in question, like the push toggles used for tactical lights. Means you don't have to awkwardly shift to aim the...device. Recoil is minimal, despite your insistence to the contrary, most rail mounts are pretty sturdy. Hell, that's what we mount grenade launchers and 12 gauge shotguns under our assault rifles to." Michelle continued.

"...you mount shotguns to your guns?" Ronon asked.

"Yeah. Nasty surprise in close quarters but it's handier for breaching doors quickly." Michelle replied with a grin. The concept was known as "Masterkey", put a short barrel shotgun under an assault rifle, blast the hinges off a door with slugs, kick the door in and with some quick hand movements, you were back to your assault rifle to engage whoever was in the room.

"Cool." Ronon chuckled in approval.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
  • Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.Teddy is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2018, 05:16:00 AM »

Radek

Rodney

Radek was the first to speak

"It does look a little uncontrollable, I think the idea of mounting it onto an Earth weapon to be a good idea, maybe something like  AK12 would work?"

Radek didn't know much about Earth weapons, but he had heard something about this one.

McKay snorted at the name change and looked away from them, then back, rolling his eyes as he spoke
"Well, forgive me, but we had no idea you were going to try and use them at the same time as your other weapon, we figured some would shoot these and the others use normal weapons, thus making it easier, but if that is what you want....we could make it so,  Radek, grab the weapon.. and the name was perfectly ok... not at all boring, like ...master blaster, sounds like a super soaker.. He turned to look at Michelleso...what weapon would you like us to attach this to, and I am sure we could use it as it is, just detach the wrist controls, and put the main beam device onto a weapon of your choice.....so, what will it be?"

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »

"Master Blaster?" Reese asked with a chuckle.  "A bit catchy but it reminds me of what a child would play with." She would do her best to help think of a name.  Until then though she was staying out of the way.  Weapons weren't her thing.  She was only here to make sure they had medical help if they got hurt and hopefully wouldn't need it.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
  • Cipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has AscendedCipherhornet18 Has Ascended
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

"I like where you went with that, but not my point, and the Russians would as soon give up that piece of hardware as soon as your government would give up the 805 BREN to us." Michelle said to Radek. The AK-12 was the hottest piece of hardware in Russia, rumored to be chambered off the shelf in 6.5mm Grendel, but it was more likely to go back to 5.45mm or 7.62mm Soviet calibers. And the Czech 805 BREN looked like it was the SCAR's cousin, but just as their Vz. 58 looked like an AK copy, the truth was far more complicated.

"Guys, you're thinking of this in terms of separate weapons like the Anti-Replicator Gun. But we're not in 1991, rail mounts can make your lives so much easier with this." Michelle pulled the sling her Mk. 17 over her head to lay the weapon down on the table. "See these bumpy ridges, the top one extending the entire length of the receiver, plus the two smaller ones on the side at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, and then the mid-length one from the front to the mag well? That's a rail mount. MIL-STD-1913 is the indexing name for it, it's also known as Picannty for the first manufacturer. Anyways. Every optic, tactical light, laser aiming device, foregrip, even our grenade launchers and Masterkey shotguns all use this mounting system."

"They make P90s now with a flat top rail mounting system, granted you lose the integrated dot sight, but you can put whatever you want in place of that. And it has two side rail mounts on either side of that point for like tactical lights, or...the device in question today. Hell, some handguns have the under barrel mount." She pulled her P226R from its holster, keeping the barrel pointed away from everyone present as it was loaded, revealing that it had a short rail mount under the barrel.

"The reason I'm making my case as such is that I'm not in this level of physical shape because I'm planning to get into the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition." She grinned, Michelle was hardly oblivious to her looks, even before all the grunting alpha male wannabes her career field was full of. "My gear is already heavy. Do you want to carry anything more into the field? Plus, switching weapons in the middle of a firefight is a liability waiting to happen. Someone could get injured or killed as a result. Making a universal rail mounting system makes this all so much easier for all of us. You don't have to try to make specific weapon mounts or modify a weapon, just a one-size fits all. I'd say if it can fit on a P90's rail system, that's the baseline. It'll work on everything else with a rail mount just fine."

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »

McKay

Zelenka

Rodney stood looking at her with his arms folded
"Well, I didn't understand half of that, not having a great understanding of weapons...actually none whatsoever, so.... "He raised his finger to say something else and Radek stopped him, he looked at Michelle

"We will fix it, so it goes on all weapons with the mount no problem,  I just need the device back" and he whispered to her "Please do not poke the dragon"He was almost pleading, as he knew if someone upset him it was he that would never hear the last of it
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:53:24 PM by Teddy »

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »

"I literally just tried to explain it to you...just...ugh. Fine, take the damn thing. Worse than my friggin' ex-husband..." She growled, removing the device from her wrist and handing it back to Radek.

"So...can I shoot at it now?" Ronon asked, trying to change the subject.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »

McKay

Zelenka
"He must have been a very patient man, we will have  this ready for you in a few hours, will that make you happy?"

Zelenka, who was trying to ignore McKay who was using his usual charm to win friends and influence people, looked over to Ronon,
"Yes, go ahead, I will leave the shield on, but I will remain of course in case something happens, Rodney will sort out the weapon, unless you want to stay here Rodney"
Rodney looked at Michelle and figured it was time for him to leave or she would definately put a bullet in him

"No no, I will sort this out, I can work faster without you, so, I will be back shortly, Doctor would you care to  take off the medical bags, you may need them" He said to Reese, as he took one last look at the people and the field
"Try not to break the shield"

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:56:56 AM by Teddy »

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
  • sorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascendedsorra Has Ascended
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »

Reese wasn't about to admit that a lot of the weapons talk went above her head.  She understood bits and pieces, but not much.  Although she could tell Michelle was trying to explain it simply to the nerds, herself included.  She had to grin at that thought.  Unfortunately there were some things that were just impossible to learn.

She glanced at Rodney. "Ooh, I had hoped not to need the packs, but thanks for the warning." She swung her bags to the ground at her feet, hoping this little demonstration didn't get anyone injured.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:51 AM »

"Patience is me not punching your teeth down your throat, you smarmy Canuck bastard. Good lord, I tried to explain it, I used visual cues, but nope. Just treat me like every other hot blonde from Las Vegas; a dumb bimbo two seconds away from changing her name to Candi and looking for her next sugar daddy." Michelle scowled, her right hand clenching into a fist before she felt a massive hand on her shoulder.

"Easy. Besides, yelling at him won't do any good. Just let him go work and if I have to, I'll talk to Sheppard." Ronon said evenly. He then looked at Rodney as he was leaving, "And she did explain it pretty well, I thought. But you should probably go." They were friends and all, but Ronon wasn't above pointing out when Rodney was acting like a real horse's backside. Maybe he'd talk to Jen when they got back, see if maybe she could get through to him.

Michelle didn't say a word until after Rodney left, just taking several deep breaths.

"I'm sorry Doctor Zelenka, but I don't think I could have explained it any clearer to him. I had a visual cue and everything. Look, you have my sympathies and again, I'm sorry. But people like him are why I had to fight to become a SEAL." Michelle explained. "And for the record, my ex-husband was a real piece of crap. Caught him cheating on me, in our shower. Worthless sack of crap, said I was making him feel like less of a man. Puh-lease..." Michelle rolled her eyes at that.

"Sounds like he lost out. But some folks don't know what they had until they throw it away." Ronon said in a rare moment of being insightful. He stepped up to the firing lane and drew his Particle Magnum. With a hum, the weapon came to life and he began firing at the shield. Surprisingly, it only took two blasts before the third got through and hit the target. However, that blast was reduced in power.

The fourth, however, not only got through, but hit the target with full power and blew it into plywood splinters. Ronon cracked a grin as he lowered the Magnum, powering it down and then holstered it.

"I'm no expert, doctor, but I'm thinking the combination of it being an energy weapon and just the sheer power behind it did the trick. Looked like the third shot got through with only part of the power still left. Might be worth noting if we need to upgrade these things." Michelle said to Zelenka.

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »

Zelenka

McKay

Rodney turned to look at Michelle and with a whine and holding out his hands

"When did this suddenly escalate into  violence, it never solves anything you know"

He looked perplexed,at  Michelle, he turned and left for the jumper, he heard Ronon's voice and waving his hand, continued to walk away

"Of course she did, see you all later"

Radek shook his head and he sighed

"Rodney can be very obtuse at times, and I think he likes you, that is why he is acting like a bigger arse  than is usual for him, I am sure he understood, it is best to ignore him, let him get on with it...Ronon, that weapon is impressive almost close to our weapon, sure you won't let us have a little peek at the inside of it?"
Radek grinned at him, knowing the answer would probably be a long stare, but it was worth a try

There was a soft whirring whine as the jumper took off back to Atlantis

<<To Atlantis>>>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 09:07:04 AM by Teddy »

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »

Reese was completely confused by what had happened.   How had things taken such a bad turn? She walked up to the others, studying the weapon Michelle held.  "Did I miss something or is he always like that?" She asked,  glancing toward where Rodney disappeared.

Cipherhornet18

• Administrator
  • First Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

"I'll deal with it later. But this isn't over." Michelle said, taking a deep breath and draping the Mk. 17's sling back over her.

"Sorry, no can do, Doc." Ronon said with a chuckle. That answer was not ever going to change.

"Alright, let's see how explosive rounds work on the shield. Doctor Prescott, this is probably where the danger starts. Right now, the risk level is pretty minimal, but I didn't get this far disregarding safety." Michelle said as she swung the Mk. 17 around to her back and picked up the AA-12 shotgun.

"I'm running two magazines of Frag-12 explosive shotgun shells through this thing. Doctor, can you monitor the shield's integrity and let me know how it handles the stress? Depending on how it reacts, I may not risk firing full size grenade rounds at it." Michelle said as she grabbed one of the two stick magazines for the plastic looking shotgun. In fact, it didn't even look like a shotgun, more like a large grey prop looking weapon, like an incomplete laser gun prop.

Ronon had seen this thing in action, but with circular drums loaded in it, during the attack on the Genii base. If it was like the shotguns that were used against the Replicators, maybe it'd be worth using on the Vanir...

Taking up a position on the "firing line", Michelle slapped a magazine in, grabbed the charging handle and yanked it back, readying the bolt in an open position like a machine gun's bolt. After declaring the line was hot, she shouldered the shotgun and began firing.

The shotgun sounded more like an assault rifle as it fired;

THUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUDTHUD!

Anyone who had seen the USAS-12s in action against the Replicators would recognize the sound, but it was much faster and it also appeared as if Michelle had better control of this weapon. But the imapacts were much more spectacular. It looked like small explosions were rippling all over the shield. It was hard to tell, though, if any fragments were getting through the shield.

On the last round, Michelle angled the shotgun's barrel up slightly, used her off-hand to grab the second magazine from her webbing and brought it to the weapon. Her reloading style cut down seconds by resting the fresh magazine along the empty one, releasing the latter to slide free and then slapped in the new one. Her off hand slapped the mag on the base once before reaching up to grab the triangular charging handle again, pulling hard back on it to open the bolt once more, and fired off another 8 shells in rapid succession.

The effect was the same from a visual perspective. After the last shot, Michelle removed this magazine, knelt down to collect the one she dropped, and returned to the others. She lowered her ear protection, the AA-12 was NOT a quiet weapon by any stretch (her ears were still ringing from Ice shooting from the elevator in that bunker...) and cracked a grin as she set both the shotgun and magazines on the table.

"By the way, if anyone wants to tighten up their skills, my shooters and I are willing to help. We're setting up an indoor practice area, and I've asked Colonel Sheppard to ensure everyone in the Expedition runs it at least once. That'll include both of you Doctors. You might not be a trigger puller like me or Ronon, but even Woolsey got caught behind enemy lines once when the Replicators overran Atlantis. Having some survival skills might be what keeps you from getting hurt or killed." Michelle explained. "Don't expect you guys to keep up with Mako, but just some basics will help everyone, I think. Heard tell that when that memory affecting flu hit the city, you gave the security guys a run for their money, Doctor Zelenka. Dunno if either of you go into the field very much, but just helps to be prepared."

Teddy

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Captain
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2018, 05:34:11 PM »

Zelenka

Zelenka went over to one of the cases      where he had set his tablet down and picked it up as Michelle was preparing to fire, he moved  about five foot to one side of her and watched the screen.

" Yes, .....everything is a bit of a blur,.....He waved his hand dismissively and coughed, pushing his glasses along    the bridge of his nose, he seemed a little embarrassed by that memory and he changed the subject fast.  He observed Michelle as she took aim and waited till she had finished......It's definitely  weakening the shield, but I think it needs to be fired at a faster rate, sorry"

sorra

• Lost Worlds Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2018, 08:10:32 PM »

Reese nodded.  "I'll be ready.  Better to be safe than sorry," she grinned,.  She'd be ready to jump in if and when they needed help.

Reese watched curiously.   This was all very new to her, yet interesting as well.  She was shocked by Michelle's offer though.   "I might take you up on that.  I don't want to be a liability if something were to happen." As a doctor she could be sent into the field at any time.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

lethal-pageant